Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Table has flipped. MacOS now has reputation for memory leak, uses more memory, takes longer to reinstall, etc. Only things that have remained constant are it's still overpriced for what you get and limited software availability.
I have not scanned this thread. Do you use a Mac, or iOS devices, do you like them?

Pretty much the same with me. It's not about being able to afford it, just that the price is getting higher and the ability to run all the software you want (well) is getting lower. The new M2 MBA, £1,749 for the minimum spec I could live with. It's a great machine, no doubt, £1,749 of great? Nope.
If I can figure a way to get by with 2USB connectors, and my impression is the the MacBookAir now has a separate power connector, I maybe downgrade to that. The computer I'm typing this message on is the 2016 MBP, and it still looks great and works as it should. I'm in a position of should I wait for it to die, or trade it in now?

I wonder if this has any value? I used to buy a Mac laptop for about $2200, keep it 3 years and then sell it for as much as $900. Actually that is pretty good, except this computer is 6 years old...I may take a peak over at eBay and see what they are going for.

Last edited:

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
I’m sorry, I’m deeply confused. If it shows as being off in your settings, and you presumably aren’t using the feature, how do you know it’s turned on at all? Are you looking at raw network packets when fresh-installing macOS or something? Did you run into an issue where macOS refused to install because of this setting?

Edit: Wait, are you talking about 2 factor authentication? Like, when you sign in to a new Mac with your Apple ID and it asks you on your phone to verify that it’s actually you signing in? That’s the only thing I can think of that makes sense here. You’re correct, *if you sign in with your Apple ID* Apple forces you to do that, for the exact reason laid out in my anecdote about my friend’s ransomed MacBook above. That’s not Apple having your computer on a leash, that’s Apple taking industry-standard steps to prevent your account from getting compromised if you’re the victim of a password leak. I’m surprised Microsoft still allows you to opt out.

Stop apologizing for Apple. I don't use iCloud, two-factor, Find My Mac, etc. and just erased Monterey to go back to Big Sur. Here it is phoning home to master at Apple HQ otherwise I can't proceed to reinstall MacOS. There is no way to bypass this forced cloud device check.

20220709_210555 - Copy.jpg

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
I have not scanned this thread. Do you use a Mac, or iOS devices, do you like them?

I have more Apple experience dating back to 1980s than most fanboys but consider myself brand agnostic. My M1 MBA and M1 iPad Pro hardware are ok although overpriced for what you get but OS are gimped even more so on iPadOS plus restrictive policies like no emulation on iPadOS.

exoticSpice

Suspended
Jan 9, 2022
Pretty much the same with me. It's not about being able to afford it, just that the price is getting higher and the ability to run all the software you want (well) is getting lower. The new M2 MBA, £1,749 for the minimum spec I could live with. It's a great machine, no doubt, £1,749 of great? Nope.
At at point why not just the get 14" MBP it comes with a better SoC, better screen, more ports, better speakers and more external monitor support for £1,899 with 16GB and 512GB as standard.

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
At at point why not just the get 14" MBP it comes with a better SoC, better screen, more ports, better speakers and more external monitor support for £1,899 with 16GB and 512GB as standard.
I have had my MBP 14 since December 2021, and I paid £1,749 for it. On that basis, there is NO difference in price! :)

(I have not searched for lower prices on either machine. Just talking figures as posted.)

Reactions: lepidotós

exoticSpice

Suspended
Jan 9, 2022
Stop apologizing for Apple. I don't use iCloud, two-factor, Find My Mac, etc. and just erased Monterey to go back to Big Sur. Here it is phoning home to master at Apple HQ otherwise I can't proceed to reinstall MacOS. There is no way to bypass this forced cloud device check.

View attachment 2028212
This is called Activation Lock. This happens because it's checking if the Mac user is actually you and to see if its stolen when you reinstall macOS. This is to prevent others from using your Mac if it's lost or stolen.

This is not macOS setup. This is recoveryOS which is a sub OS.

This is different from first time setting up a Mac for example below you can bypass Apple ID for Mac sign in:
Notice "Set up Later"
sign_in_apple_id_thumb.png

For more info on Activation Lock: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208987

fanboy-ish

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2022
I'm in the same boat.

I have a 2020 i5 MacBook Air and a 2017 Dell Inspiron, they both have an i5 CPU - 8th generation on the Dell - 8 gigs of RAM and an SSD - I suspect the Dell's one to be slower -, but Windows 11 is just so much more responsive than Mac OS.

I have no idea why it's this way, maybe because Apple nerfed this particular MacBook with a poor cooling system, but the difference in performance is staggering.

On my Windows laptop I can open literally tens of browser tabs without any problems, I can't do the same on the Mac, even when using Safari, sometimes, on the Mac, YouTube, both on Safari and Edge, downgrades from 1080p to 480p, in Edge sometimes even to 240p, video streaming is choppy and unreliable, it gets hot for no reason.

Even though many tasks on Mac OS can be completed with less steps than on Windows, doing anything on this Mac feels like a chore, because the OS is just so unresponsive.

It takes 20 seconds to launch Word, whereas on Windows 11, on an older machine, it takes around 2 seconds, it takes 14 bounces to open Pages, a couple of weeks ago I had only Word open on my Mac and I got beach balled when I selected a paragraph and did Format > Paragraph (option+cmd+M); Office apps do open almost instantly if I had them running recently, even after a cmd+Q, I suspect this happens because it may still be loaded into the RAM, but on Windows 11 it launches instantly every single time.

Also, there's no way I can max out my gigabit connection on the Mac, even when connected through a Belkin Gigabit USB-C dongle - on the Dell laptop I have a RJ-45 port.

I really like Mac OS, and of course all the "ecosystem" thing being an owner of an iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch, and a iCloud+ subscriber, but, almost every time, I reach for my Windows laptop, even though this Mac does have a vastly superior screen, better keyboard, better build quality and a crazy good trackpad, it's the first laptop that doesn't make me feel I need a mouse, and on the Mac I can use the AirPods Pro's functions and make/take phone calls.

I have no idea if these problems are due to a poorly optimized OS or a poorly designed hardware.

exoticSpice

Suspended
Jan 9, 2022
2020 i5 MacBook Air
That Mac had a poorly designed thermal system so the system down locks the CPU. M1 MacBook's will be much nicer experience than 2020 i5 while being cooler.

As for Windows being faster yes Windows is faster than macOS but macOS is more heavy so on Intel machines it feels slow.

M1 and M-Series Macs have very high single core speeds that make up for this and make macOS way more snappy than Intel Macs. Also Office apps are better optimised on Windows.

To make my point your iPhone 11 A13 CPU is faster than your 2020 Intel i5 MacBook Air. I use both Windows and macOS they both have ups and downs. Watching HDR videos is much on macOS and Windows is better for gaming.

Reactions: Romain_H

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
This is called Activation Lock. This happens because it's checking if the Mac user is actually you and to see if its stolen when you reinstall macOS. This is to prevent others from using your Mac if it's lost or stolen.

I know what it is but you still don't see the point. Why does it need to check if I told it not to when I opt out of iCloud, Find My Mac, etc.? The correct non-intrusive behavior is only if I enable iCloud and Find My Mac then it enables a security bit on the device so next time the device is wiped then it phones home to master otherwise don't every time it's told not to. PC desktops/laptops/tablets, Chromebooks, etc. aren't intrusive like that unless asked to do so.

exoticSpice

Suspended
Jan 9, 2022
I know what it is but you still don't see the point. Why does it need to check if I told it not to when I opt out of iCloud, Find My Mac, etc.? The correct non-intrusive behavior is only if I enable iCloud and Find My Mac then it enables a security bit on the device so next time the device is wiped then it phones home to master otherwise don't every time it's told not to. PC desktops/laptops/tablets, Chromebooks, etc. aren't intrusive like that unless asked to do so.
The Mac should never ask for that Activate lock screen if your never met the Activation Lock requirements. Your right something is wrong. Are you sure you never enabled Find My and iCloud in macOS Monterey?

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I have more Apple experience dating back to 1980s than most fanboys but consider myself brand agnostic. My M1 MBA and M1 iPad Pro hardware are ok although overpriced for what you get but OS are gimped even more so on iPadOS plus restrictive policies like no emulation on iPadOS.
My first computer, Apple IIe (83ish), first Mac early 90s Performa, first PC mid 90s Windows 3.1 box for gaming.

I think the goal to some degree is to create a toaster like device, at least for the iOS devices, operation kept relatively simple, without the need to acquire much in the way of indepth operational knowledge to use the device.

I’ve not checked lately, but I remember a time when Android had many more problems in their market place due to lax oversight. It’s not something I’ve ever worried about with iOS. And for the MacOS, I treat it like a toaster too, not delving as a rule into the nooks and crannies. The single biggest issue I have with Mac hardware is that it is over priced Imo, but I’m still willing to pay (can afford to pay) instead of primarily to Windows.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
The Mac should never ask for that Activate lock screen if your never met the Activation Lock requirements. Your right something is wrong. Are you sure you never enabled Find My and iCloud in macOS Monterey?

Why would I want to be spied on? Don't enslave my Windows devices to Microsoft either and yet they don't force cloud device check. Here are screenshots after reinstalling MacOS showing disabled iCloud, Find My Mac and File Fault. It's like a nosy neighbor that checks on your house when you never asked and specifically tell not to.
Screen Shot 2022-07-10 at 6.59.26 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-10 at 6.56.33 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-10 at 6.59.51 AM.png

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
You have but don't realize it or choose to stick your head in the sand.
Sure. Uh huh. Look, I don't mind you and even agree with you on some threads, but the level of equivocation on this you are just plain wrong LOL. Win 10 and 11 are bad at privacy. I game on them and had to do a bunch of disabling of telemetry. So even if what you said is correct (it's not), then Apple = slightly bad on boot with Find My Mac does not make the worse actions that Windows has done better.

Reactions: LinusR and Romain_H

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
This pretty much sums up the privacy landscape at the moment (and it is from windowscentral...).

https://www.windowscentral.com/one-thing-microsoft-didnt-discuss-windows-11-privacy

Check this one out by Thurott:

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/wi...1-instabilities-were-caused-by-a-microsoft-ad

There are tons more. Microsoft is not Google bad, but it is getting there.

Ironic you post some random searches without reading and understanding. At least Microsoft prompts you with these during setup while Apple hides them under default 'express setup' that enables all the data collection:

tym7MQMaptAVkJhAA4DN9a-970-80.jpg.webp

And, even when you disable MacOS data collection Apple still sneaks in tracking for ads and who knows what else. Proves the point that you stick your head in the sand.
Screen Shot 2022-07-10 at 7.40.10 AM.png

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Are you just repeating this or have you actually tested it?

Because 100% you can set up windows 11 home without an internet connection. I did so for my parents less than 1 month ago.
It’s called a workaround. I have found out several workarounds as well. However, those workarounds are simply workarounds, meaning they can be patched out by Microsoft in the future. The default consumer facing setup provides no option to continue setup without internet nor Microsoft account.

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
It’s called a workaround. I have found out several workarounds as well. However, those workarounds are simply workarounds, meaning they can be patched out by Microsoft in the future. The default consumer facing setup provides no option to continue setup without internet nor Microsoft account.
You said Windows 11 requires an internet connection to setup. You even put requires in capitals.

That is incorrect. You can setup without an internet connection just fine. But you will never be able to activate windows

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
You said Windows 11 requires an internet connection to setup. You even put requires in capitals.

That is incorrect. You can setup without an internet connection just fine. But you will never be able to activate windows
It is required by default. Have you setup a Windows 11 Home machine before? Even before account creation screen, setup will require internet connection. You cannot bypass this screen (unless you exploit the workarounds). Once internet connection is detected, the next step will require you use or sign up for a Microsoft account. Anything that deviates from this default behavior is called a workaround, essentially a bug that we can exploit, but it’s not intended by Microsoft.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I like Windows but only on a surface device. I have a MacBook Pro and it is hands down the best laptop I have ever owned. Apple silicon is very nice. The screen is also the best I have ever used on any notebook. I like MacOS because of the integration between apps and phone. Once you get used to answering your phone on your computer while you can text and use mobile apps is really convenient. I know Windows has some similar functionality but it is not as good. However I also really like my discounted Surface Laptop 4. It is a 13.5" model and I have the larger MBP. When I need heavy lifting or work related tasks I use the MBP but there are times when I need a Windows machine for work or other tasks. As far as using a local account vs. logged in I don't see the big problem. If you have Windows 11 or 10 pro you can do a bunch of registry tweaks to eliminate all the telemetry. You can lock down your pc pretty well. I mean unless you are using Linux and a distro focused on security everything wants an internet connection and an account. I can lock down windows a lot better than my Mac as far as telemetry is concerned. However I really don't think any interface is much better than the other. If I could only use one I would use my Mac but I would miss certain things and have to use work arounds on others.

What I hate about windows is all the software I didn't install from 3rd parties. This is why I prefer Surface devices. I also find that Microsoft maintains driver support over time much better than OEM's. The builds of Windows seem more responsive with poorer hardware on Surface devices. You can always find a Surface device on sale if you wait long enough and when they are discounted heavily the value is pretty good. If you have an OEM pc like Lenovo, HP, Acer, etc you have to rely on them to update drivers and that is both a security risk and something they don't seem too motivated to do. So after three years you may have an old driver for certain components and it affects performance. When one company delivers updates through the OS it is a much better experience overall. This is why Macs are so good because they are optimized for the hardware and supported by one company. Microsoft surface devices are similar in this way. I also prefer the hardware with caveats. Both Microsoft and Apple tend to be more conservative in ports and features which sucks but the quality is usually better.

I understand why the OP says he keeps returning to Windows but I don't understand anyone locking themselves into any platform or device. The companies don't care about you at all and just want your money so allegiance to any of them is a fools errand. I like to use them all. I have a Macbook, A surface laptop, A chromebook, An iPhone and a Samsung Galaxy Android. They all have certain strengths and weaknesses and none are 100% superior to the other. Overall though Apple tends to win in my opinion in all areas with all devices. It is just I don't like to be locked into any way of doing things. To each his own. Just use what you like and don't worry about it.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
the problem is when you like different bits on each and flip flop continuously :) you tend not to really get the most out of any of them unless you commit fully to one platform and ecosystem.
I understand your point but I tend to use one platform for a while then switch. I also can’t help but dive deep into all of them. I have ADHD so it works for me but I understand might not work for everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.