Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sami13496

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2022
Because their marketing team has hard time coming up with ideas how to sell same old as “new”.

No one cares about OLED and if it’s 0,1 mm thinner.

But you SHOULD wait for the new models before purchase because then you can buy older model for less.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Because their marketing team has hard time coming up with ideas how to sell same old as “new”.

But you SHOULD wait for the new models before purchase because then you can buy older model for less.

You need to replace "No one cares about OLED" with "I don't care about OLED". You can't speak for everyone and a lot of posts on the forum regarding OLED show that you don't.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA

M3, OLED, landscape camera, new design, new pencil, new Magic Keyboard which might support data, and some other things. It's way more of an upgrade than the M2 iPP and they had no problem releasing that so you are incorrect about everything except for the 'older model for less' bit.

Last edited:

Yourbigpalal83

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2015
Another example of selective thinking sadly. Look, just because YOU don't want to upgrade, or don't think ANYONE should upgrade, does not make it so. Sadly, in the 40 years ive been alive, ive seen this kind of thinking prevalent among so called mature adults (assuming the OP is indeed one) and its now so common place its disturbing.

I have an Ipad Mini 6 256 gig cellular model. i use it almost daily. Technically i have no real "Valid" reason to upgrade to an New OLED iPad. What i have should continue to serve me just fine. I had the 11inch M2 Pro. Traded it in last fall (NOT for the ipad mini mind you).

I miss having a bigger iPad. I haven't had a 12.9 pro in many years. If they indeed launch a OLED model if i can afford one i might just get it and the rumored magic keyboard and apple pencil and use it as a laptop!

Of course to some there are "better" options like a macbook pro or Air. Others will say "you allready have an ipad, why buy another"

BECAUSE I WANT TO BUY ONE!

Same as i WANT to buy a Apple Vision Pro but sadly cant afford one at the moment.

People don't always do whats rational or logical. They buy what they want, and apple in no way shape or form is insisting they do! They are going to put out an upgraded product and then leave it up to their customers to make up their own minds if its worth it to them or not.

If you have a M2 Ipad and dont see the need for an M3 or and OLED screen, your still got a great product that will be supported for a few more years, no problem. Apples usually really good about that.

Its like my first gen Apple Watch ultra. I saw no need to upgrade to the Ultra 2. I still got a fantastic watch imho. best one i ever bought. Maybe with the Ultra 3 i might trade it in, but again maybe not, time will tell depending on the upgrades.

Heres another example. I don't like grapes, olives or coffee. I don't see the need to eat them so i chose not too. Know what i don't do? Go around telling people they shoulden't eat them because I myself dont like them.

I respect peoples choices and free will to make up their own minds. Now if you want my advice, if you currently are happy with what you have, by all means stick with it.

if your looking for a ipad and dont have one or feel the need to upgrade to one, wait a bit more and see what they offer.

Its just that simple!

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
I’ve got an M2 and am “upgrading” to the M3. Just the OLED alone is enough for me. I stare at the bloody screen for 7-14 hours a day. And then the faster processor with better graphics. And a new pencil (mine is becoming rather worn) perhaps there might be a better new pencil as well. Perhaps a landscape camera. Perhaps...
I do hope that the M3 isn’t running as hot as the M2 when connected to a 4k while running some heavy apps :-|
And I’ll switch to an 11” from the 12.9”. I think that fits my current use better.

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010

I have the same opinion as you, but hopefully they'll surprise us with something. I think we all know the pace of meaningful iPad upgrades hasn't been stellar.

Reactions: TPadden

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans

Could not disagree more. I've been wanting to upgrade my 11" 2018 iPad Pro for a while now but I've been holding out for OLED. If the next iPad was exactly the same as the current model with the only change being OLED, I would buy it. Everything else is lagniappe.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
I don't agree, apples marketing team could sell bananas.
Absolutely. And that tells you a lot about Apple customers. They could (and have done on rare occasions) make terrible products and there will always be a few million people prepared to depart with their cash.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
I somewhat agree, although would not have worded it as aggressively as OP. OLED is nice, but the iPad is hamstrung by a **** OS that makes doing productivity stuff near impossible. There are so many easy wins they could do, but they clearly have no interest. I also worry about a 5.Xmm 13in iPad Pro. That thing is going to bend easily unless they have massively strengthened the chassis.

Last edited by a moderator:

NiteOwl925

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2024
After reading the comments, have some of guys ever seen an OLED screen? Have you ever compared an OLED and MiniLED display side by side or used both for a long period of time? I have and I can say with confidence that my Samsung Galaxy S8 Ultra tablet is far better looking and superior to my iPad 12.9 MiniLED display. The colors are more vibrant, text is more sharp and blacks are actually black. This makes the picture a higher contrast and flat out looks much better. Some people may not care, but they're probably not tech people anyways. I personally love innovation and can't wait for the OLED Apple release.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
My point is that M1 or M2 iPad owners should not upgrade.
If your point was that nobody cares about the M3, I would have agreed (though some people certainly do care about it). But the upcoming upgrade is exactly not about processing power, so the comparison to M1/M2 is rather not a major consideration for this upgrade.

Reactions: alecgold

lm57400

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2009
I somehow agree: the updates will be good, but the experience and benefit as a daily tool will be the same as it was before. Of course this is the case with many of the hardware updates from recent years, but the iPad still in 2024 doesn't need as much of a hardware update as it needs the right operating system supporting "Pro"-level work(flows).

Reactions: gusping
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.