Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grammatica

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2023
Apple doesn't care. It knows people will purchase the product just because a new one is released. You know, the same reason the Macs are given a chip upgrade. Consumers still buy them.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Serious question: why would anyone “upgrade” to an M-series chip after the discovery of the serious, unpatchable security flaw recently? All the experts say Apple will use software mitigation strategies, which will incur a major performance hit, just like when Intel had a similar issue with some of its processors. The hit to performance was dramatic apparently, up to 30%. So why not wait for the inevitable M4 which will fix the security flaw on the hardware side?

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
OLED is literally the only reason I'm interested in the iPad Pros.

Well, I also want a landscape camera, but the 10th gen iPad already has that feature.

Serious question: why would anyone “upgrade” to an M-series chip after the discovery of the serious, unpatchable security flaw recently? All the experts say Apple will use software mitigation strategies, which will incur a major performance hit, just like when Intel had a similar issue with some of its processors. The hit to performance was dramatic apparently, up to 30%. So why not wait for the inevitable M4 which will fix the security flaw on the hardware side?
I'd get an OLED iPad Pro even if it just had an A-series chip, because after a certain point, raw performance had ceased to be a significant concern for me. So, I personally don't care about the security issue, but specifically with the OLED iPad Pro, it would come with M3, which has an off switch for that. The biggest performance hits would likely be for M1 and M2, with the performance hit being less of an issue for M3. But like I said, I don't care personally.

And there is no guarantee M4 would solve that problem anyway. These chips are designed years prior to release.

Last edited:
Reactions: alecgold

aj_niner

Suspended
Dec 24, 2023
Because their marketing team has hard time coming up with ideas how to sell same old as “new”.

No one cares about OLED and if it’s 0,1 mm thinner.

But you SHOULD wait for the new models before purchase because then you can buy older model for less.
I agree on 2nd & 3rd setence.

But I was told by two of my non-US telco account managers that price list for the 2024 iPads will be out 1st week April.

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
That security issue require malicious software to contain code that exploits it. In a walled garden that runs iOS, the iPad is the last M series device you worry about. On the Mac it is indeed a potential problem though.

tarsins

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2009
Wales
Because their marketing team has hard time coming up with ideas how to sell same old as “new”.

But you SHOULD wait for the new models before purchase because then you can buy older model for less.

Most people care, that's why so many people buy them.

WU27f1xcCs

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2022
Will a new better screen be noticeable? I remember going from iPad 2 to the first retina iPad and it was a stunning change. But not sure I could notice the difference.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Will a new better screen be noticeable? I remember going from iPad 2 to the first retina iPad and it was a stunning change. But not sure I could notice the difference.
If you use it with a lot of ambient light, you may or may not notice the difference. If you use it with very low ambient light, it will be a totally obvious difference with certain types of scenes.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
That security issue require malicious software to contain code that exploits it. In a walled garden that runs iOS, the iPad is the last M series device you worry about. On the Mac it is indeed a potential problem though.
Given how much harmful junk has made it into the App Store over the years, I don’t have a lot of confidence in Apple’s automated vetting process. But yeah the risk is less on iPad.

Reactions: EedyBeedyBeeps

MchlByd84

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2024

😂😂 you’re crazy! No one cares about OLED?!? I mean can’t be a better reason why ALL SCREENS ON ALL TECH are moving to OLED, crazy right?! There must be a benefit that people care about. I think everyone that values color accuracy, black level quality, grey scale uniformity, infinite contrast, power consumption, tablet thickness cares about OLED. I don’t understand same old iPad, because I’m sure you can read all the new specs coming to the pro, definitely not the same old. Can’t really tell people not to upgrade because the new pro models have PLENTY of new features to get anyone excited. Sounds like personal opinion to me.

Reactions: Tagbert

MchlByd84

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2024
I somehow agree: the updates will be good, but the experience and benefit as a daily tool will be the same as it was before. Of course this is the case with many of the hardware updates from recent years, but the iPad still in 2024 doesn't need as much of a hardware update as it needs the right operating system supporting "Pro"-level work(flows).
They are pushing the iPad pros architecture to operate more like a laptop/PC and not limited by ipadOS. Which would be a huge change for the iPad Pro, especially for those who use it for professional applications. Sure if you only use it to play games, draw, and watch Netflix, Then yeah no need. But for professional uses there are a lot of limits on the iPad that can only be done on Mac OS. Can’t wait till the only thing I need to pack on a work trip is an iPad

HouseLannister

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2021

The mini-LED had so much blooming in the dark that you can't really use them at night without a lamp. I want an 11" OLED iPad just for reading comics in YACReader in bed while my wife is asleep. I'll keep the 12.9 M1 as the downstairs iPad.

Reactions: alecgold and Matcha

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
😂😂 you’re crazy! No one cares about OLED?!? I mean can’t be a better reason why ALL SCREENS ON ALL TECH are moving to OLED, crazy right?! There must be a benefit that people care about. I think everyone that values color accuracy, black level quality, grey scale uniformity, infinite contrast, power consumption, tablet thickness cares about OLED. I don’t understand same old iPad, because I’m sure you can read all the new specs coming to the pro, definitely not the same old. Can’t really tell people not to upgrade because the new pro models have PLENTY of new features to get anyone excited. Sounds like personal opinion to me.

I dsiagree, I see the kinds of buyers in the Apple Store when I go there. And a good majority of them don't even know whrt OLED is, let alone care if their iPad has it. Maybe Pro buyers are more discerning, but people think the majority are like us here in these forums, going over every tidbit of the specs. But the majority are not technical people nd jsut want to browse, watch movies and read their emails.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I dsiagree, I see the kinds of buyers in the Apple Store when I go there. And a good majority of them don't even know whrt OLED is, let alone care if their iPad has it. Maybe Pro buyers are more discerning, but people think the majority are like us here in these forums, going over every tidbit of the specs. But the majority are not technical people nd jsut want to browse, watch movies and read their emails.
OLED TVs only sell at the high end, but nonetheless they are very popular amongst consumers, even ones who don't frequent tech forums.

OLED iPad Pros will be similar. A lot of buyers won't care, but a lot will.

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
OLED TVs only sell at the high end, but nonetheless they are very popular amongst consumers, even ones who don't frequent tech forums.

OLED iPad Pros will be similar. A lot of buyers won't care, but a lot will.
TVs and iPads are not the same thing. Consumers value OLED on TV because it enhances the movie/sports viewing experience. It’s all about how good it looks. People use iPads more than just for passive viewing. They are more engaged with tasks, focusing more on the activity they are participating in than on how it “looks”. Outside of those doing video/photo editing or gaming, OLED is not a big factor in the buying decision.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
TVs and iPads are not the same thing. Consumers value OLED on TV because it enhances the movie/sports viewing experience. It’s all about how good it looks. People use iPads more than just for passive viewing. They are more engaged with tasks, focusing more on the activity they are participating in than on how it “looks”. Outside of those doing video/photo editing or gaming, OLED is not a big factor in the buying decision.
OLED looks WAY, WAY better watching a video in bed with the lights off. It's a night vs. day difference, literally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.