Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
TVs and iPads are not the same thing. Consumers value OLED on TV because it enhances the movie/sports viewing experience. It’s all about how good it looks. People use iPads more than just for passive viewing. They are more engaged with tasks, focusing more on the activity they are participating in than on how it “looks”. Outside of those doing video/photo editing or gaming, OLED is not a big factor in the buying decision.
Well, I do mind the looks. I’m looksing 10-14 hours a day to this thing. a part of that is in the dark where blooming is a thing. Also, when looking for so many hours on the thing for work, I like to have the best. And the 12.9” was certainly an improvement over the 11”, but I hope the next 11” will be identical to the 12.9”, specswise.

Reactions: EugW

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
Well, I do mind the looks. I’m looksing 10-14 hours a day to this thing. a part of that is in the dark where blooming is a thing. Also, when looking for so many hours on the thing for work, I like to have the best. And the 12.9” was certainly an improvement over the 11”, but I hope the next 11” will be identical to the 12.9”, specs wise.
Agreed. I’m not saying that OLED wont be a welcome upgrade for those who will make make use of it, just pointing out TV sales aren’t a strongly relevant comparison.

Last edited by a moderator:

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
The first post in this thread posits that Apple planned, developed, and manufactured refreshed iPad Pros but their marketing team is holding back the release because they literally cannot find a way to describe the improvements an OLED screen would bring to the device. The argument is preposterous on its face; why are people still replying?

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
The first post in this thread posits that Apple planned, developed, and manufactured refreshed iPad Pros but their marketing team is holding back the release because they literally cannot find a way to describe the improvements an OLED screen would bring to the device. The argument is preposterous on its face; why are people still replying?

Threads often take on a life of their own and go off in many tangents. But yes, not being able to explain the benefits of minor changes never stopped Apple before.

Last edited:

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
If my macbook air m1 can run ipad apps, then ipads should run mac os, or better, 1 OS to rule them all.. No iphone has ever made a voice call, so why do we need 3 operating systems for 3 devices? You can make the same call on the macbook pro/air/ipad/iphone...

Don't tell me it is the SIM, cause Apple does not use them, all mobile phones use the same technology, voice over IP, so when you make a call, you are using a fancy app called phone.. no different to whatsapp/teams.. So given that, why the need for 3 operating systems?

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
My point is that M1 or M2 iPad owners should not upgrade.

Isn't that their choice? I have an M2 and won't upgrade because it does everything I need and would likely have to replace not just it but my keypad as well. As a result, it makes no financial or practical sense for me to upgrade. Someone else may find it a worthwhile upgrade.

For example, someone who uses theirs as their main device alot for video conferencing might find a new camera location makes it worth the upgrade costs. Or someone who plans to buy a keyboard and likes the new keyboard a lot more than the existing one; or an artist whose workflow would be better with a new pencil that only has new features on the new IPP.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009

This is teh internet, which was designed to facilities ongoing arguments over useless topics.

If my macbook air m1 can run ipad apps, then ipads should run mac os, or better, 1 OS to rule them all.. No iphone has ever made a voice call, so why do we need 3 operating systems for 3 devices? You can make the same call on the macbook pro/air/ipad/iphone...

It would either overcomplicate one or result in some features, such as touch screens, not present in others due to design and cost concerns.

Don't tell me it is the SIM, cause Apple does not use them,

The most certainly do.

all mobile phones use the same technology, voice over IP, so when you make a call, you are using a fancy app called phone.. no different to whatsapp/teams..

You are conflating two technologies - one which provides the delivery mechanism (WiFi or cellular) and the one used to exchange the data (VoIP).

So given that, why the need for 3 operating systems?

Product differentiation and tailoring to specific use cases.

Reactions: Tagbert

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
Product differentiation? Why not let me decide what OS works for me, I am sure if ipads/ipad pros ran 2 or 3 different OS, then you would see more sales as folks can see how a product fits into their needs, Apple is prescribing that everyone needs the same product, this reminds me of what cars were like in East Germany in the period post WW2, you only had the Trabant... one car no matter how much you wanted a VW, you had to make do with a Trabby, in all honesty, Apple Inc is extremely communist, they sell the pc equivalent of a trabant, laptops that only come with factory fitted parts, or ipads that cannot be upgraded or run a better OS/different OS.. Apple is more North Korea than North Dakota...

• Haha

InnocenceMyth

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Because their marketing team has hard time coming up with ideas how to sell same old as “new”.

No one cares about OLED and if it’s 0,1 mm thinner.

But you SHOULD wait for the new models before purchase because then you can buy older model for less.
I want to say you’re brilliant but that would be a lie.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Product differentiation?

Exactly, different products for different markets instead of a one size fits all.

Why not let me decide what OS works for me, I am sure if ipads/ipad pros ran 2 or 3 different OS, then you would see more sales as folks can see how a product fits into their needs,

It's not about more sales but your margins. More sales don't necessarily translate to higher margins or even existing margins on each sales, as additional development, stocking, support, overstocking, etc. cost are factored in. Just becasue some people might buy a product doesn't mean it is smart business sense to make it.

Apple is prescribing that everyone needs the same product, this reminds me of what cars were like in East Germany in the period post WW2, you only had the Trabant...

Really? If that were the case all you could get would be a 4GB MBP runing a PowerPC chip with a 32GB HD.

And the GDR had the EMW/AWE/Wartburg...

one car no matter how much you wanted a VW, you had to make do with a Trabby, in all honesty, Apple Inc is extremely communist,

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

they sell the pc equivalent of a trabant, laptops that only come with factory fitted parts, or ipads that cannot be upgraded or run a better OS/different OS.. Apple is more North Korea than North Dakota...

Apple sells products in various configurations for various markets. It's all about committing resources to products that generate the best returns, not chasing markets simply to sell more product. They have chosen not to enter certain markets and make design decisions to generate the highest returns on their investments; which is the role of a for profit company.

Edit: Correction

Last edited:
Reactions: uczcret and Tagbert

blkjedi954

Suspended
Feb 15, 2012
Florida
After reading the comments, have some of guys ever seen an OLED screen? Have you ever compared an OLED and MiniLED display side by side or used both for a long period of time? I have and I can say with confidence that my Samsung Galaxy S8 Ultra tablet is far better looking and superior to my iPad 12.9 MiniLED display. The colors are more vibrant, text is more sharp and blacks are actually black. This makes the picture a higher contrast and flat out looks much better. Some people may not care, but they're probably not tech people anyways. I personally love innovation and can't wait for the OLED Apple release.
Agreed. Have OLED TVs in the home but sometimes watch my 12.9 IPP in bed. It’s brilliant vs 11 in when watching very dark scenes (ep 7 House of Dragond). Backlight on 11 in makes the entire episode unwatchable. This use case is where the 12.9 shines! However there are some cases where the blooming is too distracting to enjoy. Example: Ridley Scott’s
1979 Alien movie scene where Nostromos is landing on LV-46. Wow the dark background and the glowing ghostly characters in foreground was horrendous. In such a case OLED is absolutely needed..lol.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
Agreed. Have OLED TVs in the home but sometimes watch my 12.9 IPP in bed. It’s brilliant vs 11 in when watching very dark scenes (ep 7 House of Dragond). Backlight on 11 in makes the entire episode unwatchable. This use case is where the 12.9 shines! However there are some cases where the blooming is too distracting to enjoy. Example: Ridley Scott’s
1979 Alien movie scene where Nostromos is landing on LV-46. Wow the dark background and the glowing ghostly characters in foreground was horrendous. In such a case OLED is absolutely needed..lol.
Imagine writing in near dark on the 12.9 with minileds…

Reactions: blkjedi954

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA

Don't tell me it is the SIM, cause Apple does not use them, all mobile phones use the same technology, voice over IP, so when you make a call, you are using a fancy app called phone.. no different to whatsapp/teams.. So given that, why the need for 3 operating systems?

all mobile phones use the same technology, voice over IP? No. Some, not all.

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
Apple has now set an announcement date. Their crack marketing team has figured out how to sell useless upgrades! 🤡

Reactions: nj-morris

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
Apple has now set an announcement date. Their crack marketing team has figured out how to sell useless upgrades! 🤡
Their next task is to finally get senior leadership on board with MacOS Rancho Cucamonga, in celebration of Brightline West

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
I’m looking forward to upgrading my 2018 and oled is a leading reason if not the reason
I am, to the extent the hardware is better. But then I remember iPad OS is still iPad OS. I will be waiting to see if Apple announce a miracle at dub dub in June.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Well, I do mind the looks. I’m looksing 10-14 hours a day to this thing. a part of that is in the dark where blooming is a thing. Also, when looking for so many hours on the thing for work, I like to have the best. And the 12.9” was certainly an improvement over the 11”, but I hope the next 11” will be identical to the 12.9”, specswise.
Sounds like it will

11 inch will have same specs as new 13 inch

Reactions: alecgold
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.