Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danneman

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2009
Am I the only one who want the XS? Have you all guys jumped on the MAX-train?
Maybe I should reconsider getting the MAX instead? I am so ambivalent. Anybody else feeling this way?

craigio85

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Maybe I should reconsider getting the MAX instead? I am so ambivalent. Anybody else feeling this way?
On a forum like this you’re going to see a skew towards the Max because there were a lot of iPhone X early adopters who had previously been Plus owners and continued to crave the larger screen.

Plenty of people have gone for the X and like it. Stop paying attention to what others are doing and decide which is the right one for you personally.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
If I were to go for one, I’d probably go for the 5.8” even being a current plus size user. Honestly my main reasons for going plus are battery life and the higher pixel density, both of which are addressed by the Xs over the 4.7” iPhones. I think I’d find a slightly more compact model quite agreeable (not that I find the pluses particularly cumbersome, but something even more svelte would be even better when it’s a go anywhere device)

littlemidge

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2018
I went from a normal sized 8 to an Xs. And I couldn’t be happier. Better screen, better battery, better camera, pretty much better everything ! The one thing I would change is the polished steel bands - I would revert them back to brushed steel or aluminium. (I hate how the polished bands pick up scratches and smudges)

Edit. I would go as far to say the phones looked better with brushed edges.

Reactions: Gudi

craigio85

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom
If I were to go for one, I’d probably go for the 5.8” even being a current plus size user. Honestly my main reasons for going plus are battery life and the higher pixel density, both of which are addressed by the Xs over the 4.7” iPhones. I think I’d find a slightly more compact model quite agreeable (not that I find the pluses particularly cumbersome, but something even more svelte would be even better when it’s a go anywhere device)
This is why I changed from 8 Plus to the XS. It took almost no time to adjust and the smaller size is just so much easier to live with.

Reactions: Falhófnir

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
This is why I changed from 8 Plus to the XS. It took almost no time to adjust and the smaller size is just so much easier to live with.
I’m really very tempted by the camera on the XS - I do want to hang on and see if the removal of 3D Touch next year has anything to do with introducing under-screen Touch ID though, that would be the icing on the cake for me. Hopefully the rumour mill will give us a good indication within the next 6 months, and if it comes to nothing I can decide then

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
On a forum like this you’re going to see a skew towards the Max because there were a lot of iPhone X early adopters who had previously been Plus owners and continued to crave the larger screen.

Plenty of people have gone for the X and like it. Stop paying attention to what others are doing and decide which is the right one for you personally.
This. I have been a plus owner since the 6 plus. I’ve had all the plus iteration!, including the 8 plus. When Apple announced the X I wished they’d gone with the plus last hear but no. But still ended up getting the X. Now that Apple announced the XS Max, I immediately went for the bigger side and absolutely love it.

Jonathantuba

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2017
UK
I prefer the Xs ‘for myself’ and have one - no regrets at all! My pocket and hand much prefer the size.

The MAX is no doubt the best for those that like gaming or video on their phone, or it is their main mobile device - but I use an iPad Pro as my main mobile device (90% of my screen time) and as a rule just use the iPhone to quickly check urgent messages/emails, check something on the web while on the move, maps sometimes for nav, take photos and make phone calls. Anything more I pull out my iPad.

So choose which is best for your usage.

Last edited:

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
You might have one or two other people on here that love the Xs. Go check out the Max in store and see if you like it.

SnacksGU

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2018
USA
I am loving my Max. But miss the form factor of the iPhone X. My history is 3GS, 4, 5, 5S, 6+, 6S+, 7+, X, XS Max. Loved my pluses, but that X was sweet form factor and all screen....hmmm...im too cheap to pay the restocking fee through the carrier.

davewolfs

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2007
Another vote for XS (ordered 2). Max is too big. I prefer to use an iPad from home anyways.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009

Spec for spec they are the same phone. The only difference is size. It's only a mater of preference. The Xs seems to have slightly better performance under some tests... so there is that. Just buy what makes you happy and don't worry what others think. This isn't High School.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It’s simply because the bigger battery and larger display, that’s the only reasons why somebody would want the 6.5 max. For the majority, outside a tech forum, I don’t believe the Max would be the primary choice, but it is Apple’s newest and largest iPhone, which does have a following when it comes to a ‘New iPhone model’.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

caoimhe

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2012
Whatever choice I make is wrong. Got the XS and decided it was the wrong choice, changed to the Max and love the big screen but am struggling with the size and weight of it. Since I had been happily using an 8 plus that surprises me (it’s not the reach that’s an issue). I think I just need a thinner case.

Last edited:

-M4-

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2018
Happily have a XS model :) Seems to be working great so far, haven't noticed any of these issues in the forum.

ROLLTIDE1

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
Apple needs to address the XS problems ! Should I try a 4th phone to see if the cellular issues are just an isolated problem? Removing post and banning people doesn't make apple look any better

littlemidge

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2018
I’ve had zero issues with mine. My reception seems great. And my WiFi never drops. As I said my only issue is the polished steel band :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.