Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WuMyster

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t the XS’ screen around the same height as a plus model’s? It’s not as wide though, so that should help with reaching the top.

Yeah it’s roughly the same but without the chin, it means the display is lower by about an inch so reaching the top is much easier. And as you said it’s slightly thinner which also helps.

Teach4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2013
I really like my Xs max. I have family members telling me I’m stupid along with others for getting it. But I like it. I did have an X, but when I pick it up now, it really seems small. I don’t have big hands, but I still love it.

StarShot

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2014
Am I the only one who want the XS? Have you all guys jumped on the MAX-train?
Maybe I should reconsider getting the MAX instead? I am so ambivalent. Anybody else feeling this way?

NOPE, you're fine. The + or Max models look a lttle dorkie when used as a phone. I had the X and now i have the XS and would never consider a larger unit. But then, my life doesn't revolve around FaceBook or photos.

Reactions: bhodinut

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
Fast forward to 2 years time when Apple has released the iPhone XtraMax, a phone as big as the iPad mini.

‘I want to use my phone without a strap so I got the Max. But I’m worried that people are laughing at me on the street for having such a small phone & for not spending that extra $100 so I could get the XtraMax!’

Only joking OP :)

We all use our phones hours and hours each day. If the size of the XS works for you and is something that you feel comfortable with, you should absolutely be happy with your purchase.

For me, even the XS is too big and I’d be way happier with a mythical iPhone that’s the replacement for the SE and 4.7 inch screen sizes ie with a body inbetween the two.

I go on public transport lots and so a phone I can grip & use comfortably with one hand is really important to me.

Mind you, my gf does the same and she has a Plus!

Anyway, whatever makes you happy. No sense having a big screen if you simply find the phone uncomfortable to to use, right?

PatrickNSF

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
They're both great phones. I could be happy with either.

I've gone from Plus -> X -> Max and would drop back down to something X-sized again if a year with the Max proves to be not worth the hassle.
So make that Plus -> X - > Max -> XS

Even after using Plus phones prior to the X, after a week the Max felt like too much of a hassle to use day-to-day, so I swapped it for the XS yesterday. The teen got the X.

I’d have stuck with the Max had it offered a better camera than the XS (which is why I migrated to the Plus phones in the first place). I didn’t realize how accustomed I had gotten to the more reasonable (to me) size and weight of the X until I tried to go back to a larger phone.

Last edited:

blaugrana69

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
So make that Plus -> X - > Max -> XS

Even after using Plus phones prior to the X, after a week the Max felt like too much of a hassle to use day-to-day, so I swapped it for the XS yesterday. The teen got the X.

I’d have stuck with the Max had it offered a better camera than the XS (which is why I migrated to the Plus phones in the first place. I didn’t realize how accustomed I had gotten to the more reasonable (to me) size and weight of the X until I tried to go back to a larger phone.
Done exactly the same “journey” and the same reasons.

internetrando

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2018
Texas
What differences are you seeing with the xs over the x? Thanks

Honestly, between the color difference of Space Gray and Gold, not much.

It runs a little faster, FaceID seems faster and more accurate, the battery life seems a little better, the camera seems a little better...

It's an incremental upgrade. There really is not much reason to upgrade to the XS if you already have the X unless you need the 512GB of storage or want the Gold color or small performance upgrades. The XS Max is well worth the upgrade to me if you want the increased screen size.

If you do a lot of mobile gaming or other GPU intensive tasks, then you would benefit much more than I have from the upgrade.

Reactions: Moi Ici

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011
Thinking of going down to the XS. The max, to me at least, doesn't provide a lot of benefits that I think are needed to justify a max phone. The stainless steel makes it heavy. Not sure how I'm feeling about it.

Alhagar

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2015
I started with the xs on launch day, exchanged it for an xsm 5 days later, and just thisFriday exchanged the xsm for an xs (all on the IUP). There were things I liked about the Max, but in the end it was too big and heavy for my use case (a lot of biking). I heard some plus club members who had the x last year say that getting the Max felt like going home for them. For me, returning to the xs after 9 days felt like going home. I have no regrets trying the larger phone and might try whatever they call next years xr if it has duel cameras. But for now happier with the x/xs form factor than ever.

Duncanator

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2016
I love the iPhone XS. The larger screen on the iPhone XS Max is very nice but for my usage, I could not justify the extra cost. I put an Otter Box on my phone because I use the belt clip at work. I could not imagine carrying the XS Max on my hip at work. That would be insane!

Willdr1991

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2012
Yeahh I'm in the same dilemma here. Purchased the XS Max all excited and got it on launch day. Im way past the return policy so I'm unsure if tmobile would allow me to return it now. It's too huge and heavy. There's been a few times It slipped out my fingers while one handing it. I thought Id be used to it being that I've had all but plus phones before the X but it's been hard to adjust.

Jimpilot

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
No
I have always had a plus size until the X. Couldn’t wait for the X max but I am kind of missing the size of the X.

I have a year to decide but leaning toward the X size next year

bhodinut

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2013
I found one big difference that probably isn't a big deal to most people. I shoot a lot of footage on a Freefly Movi gimbal. The image stabilization on the XS doesn't jerk around like it does on the X when shooting on the gimbal. That alone is worth the price of admission for me.

Scott G.

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2016
Amsterdam, NY
Am I the only one who want the XS? Have you all guys jumped on the MAX-train?
Maybe I should reconsider getting the MAX instead? I am so ambivalent. Anybody else feeling this way?
No, it's a great phone. I had the X, and then went with the XS. I switched to the Max because I just like having the latest and greatest from Apple. At first it felt HUGE, but it has grown on me.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
If the max had more ram or better camera, it would have been a no brainer. for me.

Actually, I commend Apple for sharing similar camera specifications and ram requirements for both the XS and XS Max. Too many times, they separate these features for the consumer that want to upgrade to the largest phone because of XYZ reasons, this year they actually share a lot of the same internals and capabilities, where the only real decision is made is what size option does the consumer want.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alhagar

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I'm upgrading from an X due to the dual physical SIM feature so I must get the XS Max, and at least I got something that looks different.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
Go to an Apple store and spend a good amount of time with both sizes. Try one-handed and two-handed use. Put it in your pocket. Take portrait and landscape pics with one hand.

Some people hold the Max once and immediately know it's not for them. Others aren't so sure. And some fall in love with the huge screen on the Max and are certain it's the phone for them.

I just upgraded to the Max from the X yesterday. I wasn't going to upgrade at all, but after release date I saw how much better the photos and videos were, and decided it was worth it. As to the size, I owned Plus phones for three years before getting the X. The X is definitely easier to handle and pocket. But I always found the display a bit narrow. The Max really opens things up for viewing photos and reading web pages and documents. But it is not as nice to hold or pocket. The Max is not massively bigger, but it's enough of a jump to cross lines for many people.

You'll need to decide for yourself if the larger size is a sacrifice worth making.

Reactions: Moi Ici

Moi Ici

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Honestly, between the color difference of Space Gray and Gold, not much.

It runs a little faster, FaceID seems faster and more accurate, the battery life seems a little better, the camera seems a little better...

It's an incremental upgrade. There really is not much reason to upgrade to the XS if you already have the X unless you need the 512GB of storage or want the Gold color or small performance upgrades. The XS Max is well worth the upgrade to me if you want the increased screen size.

If you do a lot of mobile gaming or other GPU intensive tasks, then you would benefit much more than I have from the upgrade.
Thanks!

Reactions: internetrando
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.