Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robertpolson

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2011
Recently saw the iPhone XS Max. After a minute of using it I am so glad that the SX model exists that I got XS. The XS Max is gigantic. Good for teenagers who play games and watch movies or people with vision problems. For people who care about portability and productivity, XS size is perfect.

AudibleNectar

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2018
I love it. Works very well, and in a neat trick is actually smaller than I expected it to be - and feels smaller than I expected it to be yet looks HUGE to the eyes when looking at the screen. It's the first time I ever bought a smartphone on release, but given that this phone idea (all screen) has been a "thing" for me for some time now, I was eager to get this from the start.

I really expected more problems with mine, given the comments and the nature of cell difficulty that I've had with my situation. But this phone has performed at least as well as my more problematic earlier phones have, albeit I've only been able to do so much with it in a week. But I've sure tried to poke holes in it - and haven't been very successful on any level that justifies returning it.

I can't help but feel that it will get even better with updating, so given that it's "first day issue" with known bugs it's been a good experience so far - that I expect to get even better.

So yeah - I'm very pleased with the Max.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Am I the only one who want the XS? Have you all guys jumped on the MAX-train?
Maybe I should reconsider getting the MAX instead? I am so ambivalent. Anybody else feeling this way?
Yes, you're the only one out of millions who wanted and purchased the XS. Only you.

Reactions: Gudi

mcmanus7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
Went from a 6S to the XS and I'm 100% happy with it. No charging issues for me, LTE is fast (236 down) Wifi is fast (176 down (limited by my connection). A friend purchased the XS Max and it is HUGE... for me the biggest I'd want is the XS. the XR is probably even too big for my liking.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I upgraded from iPhone 6 to 7 Plus because I craved the extra vertical screen space and telephoto camera. I switched to XS because wider screen on 7 Plus made it harder to hold the phone comfortably. Now I have the best of the both world. I guess that makes me a mommy bear.

Frankfurt

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2016
USA
Went from a iPhone 7 to the XS. Fantastic upgrade regarding screen, speed, camera RAM, etc.
I have not noticed any of the issues reported other than a tendency to hang on to 2.4GHz longer than the 7, but even that might be just a perception rathe than reality. I hope to stick with it for three years.

craigio85

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I’m really very tempted by the camera on the XS - I do want to hang on and see if the removal of 3D Touch next year has anything to do with introducing under-screen Touch ID though, that would be the icing on the cake for me. Hopefully the rumour mill will give us a good indication within the next 6 months, and if it comes to nothing I can decide then
Honestly - I was a FaceID skeptic. Never looked back for a moment. It’s utterly seamless and makes touchID feel antiquated.

That70sGAdawg

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2008
Athens, GA USA
What differences are you seeing with the xs over the x? Thanks
I had the X and it never was very responsive for both touch screen input, or Face ID unlock time. I thought something was wrong with my X screen & ended up trading it in for an 8plus. The new XS has solved both of these issues & I get MUCH better speakers and low light camera shots!

Reactions: Moi Ici

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Apple is offering more choice that any other phone maker.

With the XR coming soon, you can even get multiple colors.

Having more choices is always good!

Pick your device color and size and enjoy!

Markgnyc2

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2013
I can't speak for the XS because I decided to keep my X, but I think the size of the device is absolutely perfect. I went to an Apple store to check out the Max, and was happy I was able to leave without feeling tempted to purchase it. I like being able to sit comfortably with the X in my pocket, something I was not ever able to do with a plus size phone.

cforster

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
Missouri USA
I’m really very tempted by the camera on the XS - I do want to hang on and see if the removal of 3D Touch next year has anything to do with introducing under-screen Touch ID though, that would be the icing on the cake for me. Hopefully the rumour mill will give us a good indication within the next 6 months, and if it comes to nothing I can decide then

Absolutely no way Apple goes backwards and waists precious space inside the iPhone on a finger print scanner, when they solved and improved the problem with FaceID.

Not a chance in the world. 0% chance. None.

Sounds cool though!

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Am I the only one who want the XS? Have you all guys jumped on the MAX-train?
Maybe I should reconsider getting the MAX instead? I am so ambivalent. Anybody else feeling this way?

I opted for the XS, given the only differences being the screen size and battery (both of which are somewhat trivial for my use case) and have no regrets. The Note 9 will satisfy my big canvas cravings :)

The XS is also a lot more convenient with my work dress code.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
Happy with my XS. Face ID works great, I don't see any need for a fingerprint scanner here.

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
I am delighted with my XS. I can replicate the charging glitch and I do see the screen flutter on occasion but I have confidence that this will be rectified in software updates and so I'm unphased.

I think the camera 'beautification' conspiracy theories are laughable and have been used as PR exercises by overexcitable Youtube bloggers to nail Apple to a cross, even though they are probably sponsored by the competition. Do we really think Apple won't provide an option to neautralise the smoothing effect of the camera in future updates? I think not.

Between the XS and XS Max it's horses for courses and there is no clear winner.

Last edited:

WuMyster

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
You need to start listening to yourself instead of comparing to what the “average” do.

I’ve been using a plus phone since it became a thing and after the 7+, I’ll be going to the XS as I’m tired of such a large phone. I can’t use this phone one handed without using reach ability like every 5 seconds.

PatrickNSF

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
They're both great phones. I could be happy with either.

I've gone from Plus -> X -> Max and would drop back down to something X-sized again if a year with the Max proves to be not worth the hassle.

-M4-

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2018
I’ve been using a plus phone since it became a thing and after the 7+, I’ll be going to the XS as I’m tired of such a large phone. I can’t use this phone one handed without using reach ability like every 5 seconds.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t the XS’ screen around the same height as a plus model’s? It’s not as wide though, so that should help with reaching the top.

RoadWarrior56

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2014
I bought a "non-max" XS last weekend, gold with 256 GB of storage. I was originally going to buy an iPhone 8 with the same amount of storage, but I spent too much time in the store comparing the displays between the two, so I opted for the XS. So I held my nose and paid the higher price. Although I still consider it somewhat overpriced (but I bought it in the end, so was it really overpriced?), and I absolutely love it. The calls sound better, I have quickly adjusted to the lack of a home button, the camera is better, and the display is better. It is beautiful with a forest green leather case with the gold stainless steel still visible. And my old 64 GB 6s was still running well and with a new battery (but I had used up all of the storage, which is why I upgraded). I kept the 6s as an iPod Touch/spare phone, since all I could get for it was a lousy $100 in a trade. The trade-in deals were much better 3 years ago. But the XS is a really nice device. I am very happy with it so far.

Two more things. I can already tell that the XS battery life is significantly better than the 6s. Finally, using a wireless has made me not miss the headphone jack, since I can charge and listen at the same time.

Last edited:

allthingsapple!

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2014
Had the max for 7 days, returned it for an Xs. Thought I’d love the bigger phone but I was wrong. Got used to the smaller size of the X, perfect size for me.

That's my dilemma right now. I'm returning my Max for the XS and so is my coworker. My hands are too small for the Max although the screen is beautiful.

Reactions: Slicklx

EdMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2011
Michigan
I have an X and would purchase an XS if I were to upgrade. I’ve had 2 plus sized phones and just can’t get with the size. I like my phone to be more portable. My iPad Pro serves as my entertainment device.

gwsdiver

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2018
South Carolina
Moved from an SE to an XS. It really only took a few days to get used to the size difference. Great screen and very responsive. Face ID works better everyday. And 12 seems very stable. Good move for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.