Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 6, 2009
Things I miss:

• It felt truly new. It was a massive design change from the 8 and Face ID was great.
  • It was a better size and feel to me. 5.8” was just about perfect and the rounded edges made it easy to hold.
  • As a result of the last point, it was lightweight. It looked good and premium without being overly flashy like the edges on the 13/14.
  • It had (along with the 11) the last great Apple leather case made. It wore evenly and beautifully.
  • Personally, I liked the improved but unobtrusive cameras.
Things I like about the new phones are the DI, 120hz, and of course improved brightness and battery life. I wish we could have this but in the X’s form factor alongside the glorious return of the once-great Apple leather cases. Not gonna happen, but it was nice reminiscing.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
You can still get the XS and run the latest OS if you feel like you are missing it :)

But I agree, it was quite a big change, and we have had a few before that such as the the move from 5S to 6. The 4S to 5 and so on. Not as substantial a change but still quite a big one.
These days most changes aren't really visible to the eye.

When it comes to the leather case I can understand what you mean, It can look great, but still, leather on a phone in 2023....feels like something from the past. I can absolutely see situations where leather is better than a synthetic version, but not as as a cellphone case.
I even start looking at alternatives to leather for my motorcycle gear these days, hard to find good quality but its getting there.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
  • …and the rounded edges made it easy to hold.
This has been often been offered as some great feature around here. I have to disagree. My first brand new full purchase iPhone was the iPhone 5, which has flat sides. I still have it (and a bunch of my other iPhones). But since 2015 I have had nothing but curved edge iPhones. First the iPhone 6, then the 6s Plus and now the iPhone 11 Pro Max.

When I upgrade my 11 PM in a couple of years it will be to a flat-edge phone. I do not find curved edge phones easier to hold. Quite the contrary. There is less space presented to your fingers and in my case this requires more pressure to grip. Possibly that's because I don't use my iPhones with cases.

Anyway, I'm done with round-sided phones. They're annoying. My 5 was much easier to hold.

cocoua

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2014
madrid, spain
rounded corners are much much better for hand confort, not so for hand grip though... when you hold for a second an iphone 11, X etc vs 14, 15... you notice your hand in relief.

I loved the iPhone 4s/5/5s so much, visually, to me flat edges makes a sleek and beautiful product, but today, my confort is way beyond eye catching tricks.

maximit

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2009
I still have a Xs Max even though I fix and sell apple hardware. It's the last of the Ivy era phones and is great for gaming with 3D Touch (COD and PUBG with just thumbs!) and is super comfy with rounded corners. The leather case is great too. Honestly I would not take an iPhone 15 if they gave it to me for free. Maybe 16 will change my minds if iOS is no longer updated.

• Love
Reactions: Student of Life

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I agree. There is something with the polished stainless steel bands and rounded edges that gives it an extra premium look and feel compared to the current models. Maybe it's also the weight distribution or even number of speaker holes at the bottom of the device, but they paid special attention to details.

My only gripe is it launched at 5.8-inches, which had less display area for those coming from a 5.5-inch Plus. If Apple had launched with 6.1-inch, it would have been perfect.

When you consider technical features, the new iPhones win. But in terms of industrial design, iPhone X wins.

-1x-1.jpg

iHorseHead

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2021
You can still use it though. I use my iPhone 5s from time to time with little issues.
If it weren't for the battery it'd still be my main phone.

Reactions: Reggaenald

VertPin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2015
This has been often been offered as some great feature around here. I have to disagree. My first brand new full purchase iPhone was the iPhone 5, which has flat sides. I still have it (and a bunch of my other iPhones). But since 2015 I have had nothing but curved edge iPhones. First the iPhone 6, then the 6s Plus and now the iPhone 11 Pro Max.

When I upgrade my 11 PM in a couple of years it will be to a flat-edge phone. I do not find curved edge phones easier to hold. Quite the contrary. There is less space presented to your fingers and in my case this requires more pressure to grip. Possibly that's because I don't use my iPhones with cases.

Anyway, I'm done with round-sided phones. They're annoying. My 5 was much easier to hold.
Your 5 was also a pretty small phone. The flat edges on the (non-mini) 12/13/14 can be uncomfortable, and in my experience, seem to slip more than my older curved phones (including the 11 PM I had).

Reactions: winxmac

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
I miss my XS a lot. Great design with the stainless and small cameras. Great size. I have even contemplated downgrading from my otherwise lovely 13 Mini but it would not make much sense. It could be my all-time favourite design though my iPhone 7 in Jet Black was a more seamless device in the hand and a bit lighter as well.

I also miss my telephoto lens. To deal with that I just zoom in and pretend I have this virtual third lens. Just like Apple marketing does with the iPhone 15.

Elusi

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2023
I held off for two years after X, but still have the 11 Pro. Killer battery life. Comfy to hold. Looks great (idk why people went crazy for going back to flat edges there). Been caseless and any scratches dings or dents are hard to notice. And the camera bump is so small compared to what has happened since.

If I had an X I would probably have switched about now since software support is going away. But I'm hoping for a year or so more out of the 11 Pro. It's simply as useful and awesome as the day I got it.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Your 5 was also a pretty small phone. The flat edges on the (non-mini) 12/13/14 can be uncomfortable, and in my experience, seem to slip more than my older curved phones (including the 11 PM I had).
Admittedly, I don't use my phones as substitute computers or media devices. So, I'm not holding them a lot. But there have been times when I was out that my phone was the only device. Between the iPhone 5 and my 11 Pro Max, I'd rather hold the iPhone 5. Yeah, it's smaller and because of that there is no real comparison. However, I don't like holding my 11 Pro Max or my 6s Plus and 6 Plus for long periods precisely because the sides are curved. That much I can say. Over time my grip is strained because I'm trying to hold on to a curved side rather than a flat side.

VertPin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2015
Admittedly, I don't use my phones as substitute computers or media devices. So, I'm not holding them a lot. But there have been times when I was out that my phone was the only device. Between the iPhone 5 and my 11 Pro Max, I'd rather hold the iPhone 5. Yeah, it's smaller and because of that there is no real comparison. However, I don't like holding my 11 Pro Max or my 6s Plus and 6 Plus for long periods precisely because the sides are curved. That much I can say. Over time my grip is strained because I'm trying to hold on to a curved side rather than a flat side.
No worries, thanks for sharing!

Reactions: eyoungren

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Things I miss:

• It felt truly new. It was a massive design change from the 8 and Face ID was great.
  • It was a better size and feel to me. 5.8” was just about perfect and the rounded edges made it easy to hold.
  • As a result of the last point, it was lightweight. It looked good and premium without being overly flashy like the edges on the 13/14.
  • It had (along with the 11) the last great Apple leather case made. It wore evenly and beautifully.
  • Personally, I liked the improved but unobtrusive cameras.
Things I like about the new phones are the DI, 120hz, and of course improved brightness and battery life. I wish we could have this but in the X’s form factor alongside the glorious return of the once-great Apple leather cases. Not gonna happen, but it was nice reminiscing.
Still got mine!
Still have the original iPhone as well.
...I have issues.

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I also loved the 3D touch. the XS Max still had it, but they literally disabled it with iOS 13. i was pissed off.

i got used to it since, but it was a great technology.
They didn’t disable it, even in iOS 17. I can still use pressure sensitive screen to draw lines of different thickness with ease. And when doing long press, iPhone XS Max does it ever so slightly faster than my iPad Pro 11” M1 which doesn’t have pressure sensitive screen.

HiVolt

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
They didn’t disable it, even in iOS 17. I can still use pressure sensitive screen to draw lines of different thickness with ease. And when doing long press, iPhone XS Max does it ever so slightly faster than my iPad Pro 11” M1 which doesn’t have pressure sensitive screen.
Well maybe they didn't disable it, but they removed the cool features like peek/pop, the quick actions just didnt feel the same.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Well maybe they didn't disable it, but they removed the cool features like peek/pop, the quick actions just didnt feel the same.
I still have a 6S on iOS12.4 which has fully functional 3D Touch and you're absolutely correct about it being neutered when iOS13 was released. I truly miss it as I used it all the time.. Haptic Touch might mimic some of the functionality but overall it doesn't work nearly as well

Sami13496

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2022
Regarding size and weight, how has Apple gone too far?

The iPhone 15 and 15 Pro aren't that much bigger than the X, and the 15 actually weighs a bit less. There are current models to choose from that aren't the Plus or Pro Max....

View attachment 2311878

View attachment 2311879
Well I think smartphones in general have become too big. iPhone 5/5S was the ideal size when it comes to one handed use. I remember getting iPhone 6 and thinking wow this is unconfortable to hold with one hand. Yes I know most people want big phones (or at least they think) but I consider 6.1 inch form factor ”Plus” sized phone. As an Apple user I really wish iPhone lineup would start from smaller phone. There’s nothing wrong with having options to go bigger.

Currently I’m using XR and I don’t know if it’s the size or the rounded corners but it’s the most unconfortable phone to hold. To prevent it slipping from my hand I have to use a case with it that makes it even thicker and wider.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.