Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wegster

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2006
We just traded in my X, which became my wife’s once my company bought me an 11 Pro Max…
The X was still doing fine although it was time for a battery swap at ~80% battery life.
When you do some of the various model comparisons, the X was really the first ‘pro’ - from the stainless to camera and optical zoom, etc.

As we have a newborn, the camera is seeing more usage and whle it was still holding up overall, she got a 14 to replace it - this was a month or so before 15 launch.

I planned on keeping my 11 Pro Max until the 16 came out, then either going for it or a refurbed 15 Pro Max, but I didnt have my choice of storage options on the work-paid phone, so my 11PM was 64gb and I finally filled it, so t became time and just ordered a 15PM.

Amusingly, I did the Apple trade in on our X, which literally looked brand new (always cased and screen protector), and some idiot apparently stole it from the trade-in box. Have to wonder if Apple’s ‘refurb partners’ are scamming and ‘skimming off the top’ a bit, as there’s no sane way that box tore open.

As OP said, phone features and generally performance, have kind of stagnated. Yes, cameras improve, and that’s worth something (main reason to replace the X), but short of those playing serious-ish games on their phone (and why, when iPad if has to be mobile..?), or movies (again, why - iPad), there’s not a huge ‘wow’ factor for most modern phone releases IMO. Yeah, I did replace my 11PM with a 15PM, but it had a 4 year life and the X 5, and I also looked at 13 and 14s used, refurbed but between vet discount, tradein etc., there just wasn’t enough difference in $ across the options whle the added optical zoom on the 15PM will be nice to have for the baby.

When I had first moved my wife off a random Android phone (I think she got a 5 then later my 6 or 6S) she loved it, then still liked the X, but moving from the X to the 14 was pretty much ‘ok, maybe a bit nicer pics and the battery lasts longer’ was the net response. I’m expecting the move from my 11PM to the 15PM to be similar once it shows up. Besides the needed storage upgrade and the camera, battery life will be nice but not that big of a deal as the main drain is when we use GPS (in the car = has power, but will be nice on the bikes), or when occasionally need to use as a hotspot (again, which then has power connected). I’m sure the screen is nicer, as is ProMotion but again, I don’t watch movies or game much on my phone vs ipad, console, …) so my biggest hope is f there’s any improvement on cell reception and the occasional unknown-reason ‘call failed.’

wegster

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2006
Well I think smartphones in general have become too big. iPhone 5/5S was the ideal size when it comes to one handed use. I remember getting iPhone 6 and thinking wow this is unconfortable to hold with one hand. Yes I know most people want big phones (or at least they think) but I consider 6.1 inch form factor ”Plus” sized phone. As an Apple user I really wish iPhone lineup would start from smaller phone. There’s nothing wrong with having options to go bigger.

Currently I’m using XR and I don’t know if it’s the size or the rounded corners but it’s the most unconfortable phone to hold. To prevent it slipping from my hand I have to use a case with it that makes it even thicker and wider.
This was my thinking up until around the X, with one of my guys at work always going with the ‘plus’ since the 6 or whenever they started the ‘supersizing.’ The X was a pretty ideal size, and I sort of agonized a while when I got the corp paid 11PM, as I could have gone with the Pro instead. I figured I’d give the PM a shot, and while t’s annoying to admit as I used to have 20/15 vision, while I rarely wear my glasses, I am starting to dig the PM/Plus screen size. Pretty much a total non-issue on the size until/unless someone’s eyesight starts to slide. I still run native res on my 38”UW and zoom out numerous clicks in browsers and editors, to the point when sharing an app window in a work meeting I’m often asked to increase zoom level, but yeah - I guess I now like the PM size. YMMV as always, and I used to joke with him about he just wants his phone to be an inferior smaller iPad… ;)

Reggaenald

Suspended
Sep 26, 2021
I still have a Xs Max even though I fix and sell apple hardware. It's the last of the Ivy era phones and is great for gaming with 3D Touch (COD and PUBG with just thumbs!) and is super comfy with rounded corners. The leather case is great too. Honestly I would not take an iPhone 15 if they gave it to me for free. Maybe 16 will change my minds if iOS is no longer updated.
PUBG with 3D Touch is a whole different experience than without it. It’s much better. When I had a X, PUBG alone made me think my next phone must be the Xs as it was the last to have Force Touch. With my 11 Pro, meh, can’t be bothered. Damned be separate fire buttons.

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
Really great phone. Still have it as backup and secondary device. Miss the 3D touch. I use quite often the torch and it was much better activating it via 3D Touch.

Reactions: PaladinGuy

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
I don’t like iPhone X at all. The iPhone 11 Pro Max destroyed it with its 2 day battery life.

The iPhone X is the reason why I always go for the Max model, as I do remember how bad the battery life was on that small sized phone.

Last edited:

ryguyMN

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2023
Currently use the XS. I love the form factor but appreciate the better battery life and camera optics on the new models. This phone has served me well (on my 2nd battery after my old one hit 80% capacity this summer). I'll be looking forward to upgrading to the iPhone 16 Pro since iOS 17 will more than likely be the last supported OS for it.

Some of these phones nowadays when people pull them out, I have to do a double take as to whether it's a phone or tablet.

Reactions: TacoFan

JSBRGX

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2023
The iPhone X was a huge step, and the beginning of a new era within the iPhone. For the same reason, I bought an iPhone X 64GB Space Gray shortly before it was replaced by the iPhone XS. It is unopened in its original box, and hidden in a bank box, as a small "maybe investment". It will be fun to see what something like this can be worth in 8-10 years.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Yeah the X was nice, but the camera was not very good. Lots of aggressive NR applied. No RAW options. I buy iPhones only for the camera, everything else works and looks the same, apps, safari, mail, etc.

Macuserguy

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2023
I am still using IPhone X along with Mac’s leather folio case which is perfectly designed. Velvety soft case.

Last edited:

Macuserguy

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2023
I love my X and still use it to this this day, I'll keep using it until it is longer supported or the battery stops holding a charge. It currently says that the battery is at 78% maximum capacity. Not excited about having to upgrade, but we will have to wait and see. The new ones seem too big and I'm not keen on the multiple camera look. View attachment 2312245
I just changed the battery on my iphone x myself and it was not that hard. If you have a heat gun or just a hair dryer, that will make it much easier. I paid $25 for a battery off amazon and it works pretty decent. charge lasts all day now, granted it is down to around 10% at end of day, but it's very decent.

I also just scored a genuine apple leather folio case off amazon for less than $9.

Feels like a brand new phone. Unfortunately, my faceid camera no longer works. And for some reason, the sensor no longer works that locks the phone when the case is closed.

ab2c4

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2013
I really really really really really miss the rounded sides. I’ll never get used to the flat sides and have been using them over two years now.

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
This has been often been offered as some great feature around here. I have to disagree. My first brand new full purchase iPhone was the iPhone 5, which has flat sides. I still have it (and a bunch of my other iPhones). But since 2015 I have had nothing but curved edge iPhones. First the iPhone 6, then the 6s Plus and now the iPhone 11 Pro Max.

When I upgrade my 11 PM in a couple of years it will be to a flat-edge phone. I do not find curved edge phones easier to hold. Quite the contrary. There is less space presented to your fingers and in my case this requires more pressure to grip. Possibly that's because I don't use my iPhones with cases.

Anyway, I'm done with round-sided phones. They're annoying. My 5 was much easier to hold.
Personally I’ve found the 15 series to be the perfect middle ground. It’s wild how much better they feel in hand.

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
It was a huge jump from the dated iPhone 6 design and the adoption of OLED makes the iPhone X the biggest upgrade ever, in 2017. But I remembered the battery life was subpar and that was why I decided to go for the 8 back then.

It was a great phone in its time and there won’t be any iPhones in future that will be able to capture the X’s magic.

Macbookey

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2023
Loved the iPhone X. Had mine for 5 years and it never missed a beat. The camera was definitely subpar with what was coming out after, but everything else never tempted me to upgrade. Huge jump to the 14PM I am on now.

schnitzel-pretzel

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2023
Kentucky
I would buy an 11 Pro without hesitation if I still could from Apple directly. Really regret not getting an 11 Pro back when they were still sold as refurb from Apple. Don't wanna roll the dice on some third party seller.

1madman1

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2013
Richmond, BC, Canada
I replaced by X with an 11 Pro when the battery failed. Regretted it. Seemed bigger, theoretical additional speed did nothing for me, didnt work with my accessories, additional ultrawide lens was a literally useless waste of space.

The X (and XS) had a much better lens configuration than the current dual lens models.

Have zero interest in the current iPhones, they're all too big. I'm not blind and I dont carry a bag everywhere to carry it in.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Regarding size and weight, how has Apple gone too far?

The iPhone 15 and 15 Pro aren't that much bigger than the X, and the 15 actually weighs a bit less. There are current models to choose from that aren't the Plus or Pro Max....

View attachment 2311878

View attachment 2311879

Exactly.

Heck even amongst the big phones, the 15 Pro Max is actually around the same size as a 6S Plus.
IMG_4803.jpeg

IMG_4804.jpeg

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Personally I’ve found the 15 series to be the perfect middle ground. It’s wild how much better they feel in hand.
Agreed. The straight sides with rounded edges have made the 15 series truly great to hold and use. 15 Pro Max is the first Pro Max iPhone I can use caseless with ease. The Xs Max and 11 Pro Max were great but the rounded sides made them slippery sometimes while the 12/13/14 had very sharp edges that made them uncomfortable.

Apple found a great middle ground with the 15s and I hope they stick with this for a few years at least.

Reactions: Devyn89
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.