Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

austyn23

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2017
Let me tell you that the regular 15 is fantastic, the weight is just perfect and the camera bump is really an improvement compared to my iPhone 14Pro. Its really nice to hold the phone and don’t touch the absurd bump of the back.

5.8 will be even better, but 6.1 is not bad with the lightness of this phone. For the first time not going pro is really satisfying.

I know, promotion and the macro/zoom, yes, but I enjoy a lot more the feeling every time I pick up the phone more than those features. Also the 24mp photos are a boost in how you can zoom in without loosing quality. And also the main camera can give close shoots that are really nice, not at macro level, but pretty close.

Reactions: Digger148 and geta

anitak1982

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2017
West Central Ohio
I've had the iPhone 12 and the iPhone 14 since my iPhone 10. I am a small woman with small hands and honestly can't tell much difference in them. I always use my phone with a case. I won't even walk across the floor without a case.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sorinut

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Let me tell you that the regular 15 is fantastic, the weight is just perfect and the camera bump is really an improvement compared to my iPhone 14Pro. Its really nice to hold the phone and don’t touch the absurd bump of the back.

5.8 will be even better, but 6.1 is not bad with the lightness of this phone. For the first time not going pro is really satisfying.

I know, promotion and the macro/zoom, yes, but I enjoy a lot more the feeling every time I pick up the phone more than those features. Also the 24mp photos are a boost in how you can zoom in without loosing quality. And also the main camera can give close shoots that are really nice, not at macro level, but pretty close.
Regular iPhone 15 with 5.8” screen would be a dream device.

Reactions: Digger148

HackMacDaddy

Cancelled
Dec 17, 2019
Well I think smartphones in general have become too big. iPhone 5/5S was the ideal size when it comes to one handed use. I remember getting iPhone 6 and thinking wow this is unconfortable to hold with one hand. Yes I know most people want big phones (or at least they think) but I consider 6.1 inch form factor ”Plus” sized phone. As an Apple user I really wish iPhone lineup would start from smaller phone. There’s nothing wrong with having options to go bigger.

Currently I’m using XR and I don’t know if it’s the size or the rounded corners but it’s the most unconfortable phone to hold. To prevent it slipping from my hand I have to use a case with it that makes it even thicker and wider.
Get the 13 Mini. I went from XR (which was awesome during its time) to 13 Mini and it's soo sooo good! And there are also great leather cases for it ;-)

Last edited:

Blackhawk

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2002
Elk Grove, Calif.
I love my X and still use it to this this day, I'll keep using it until it is longer supported or the battery stops holding a charge. It currently says that the battery is at 78% maximum capacity. Not excited about having to upgrade, but we will have to wait and see. The new ones seem too big and I'm not keen on the multiple camera look.
IMG_0018.JPG

Sunset Cassette

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2021
Canada
Being on the opposite end of the experience (retailer as opposed to the consumer) I think the iPhone X was the most unique and "special" phone that I've had the pleasure of selling. There was nothing quite like it.

It was the last time I felt that an iPhone launch was a really big deal, at least for where I live in western Canada. No launch since has had the same wow factor or excitement behind it, iPhone or otherwise.

Being an Android user at the time, the X really caught my attention and made me consider switching back to Apple, and I got to watch/help many individuals make that switch during the initial release window.

Excellent device that really has that Apple magic feel to it.

Reactions: Macuserguy

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
It's stuff like this that makes iPhone X more visually appealing than current models. The Dynamic Island is a simple rounded rectangle rather than a squircle.

iphone_notch_1.jpg

The placement of the flash LED in between the lenses is simply more balanced. The LED placement on current models feels like a pure engineering choice.

iphonex_12MP_rear_camera_inline.jpg.large.jpg

Nothing beats the contrast of a polished stainless steel band with colored rear glass. The 15 Pro/Max looks way too monochromatic.

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
With my Max I barely noticed the notch when playing Mario Kart or watching Youtube. Now with the pill I see it a lot more lol.. maybe just need to spend more time with the phone. What I do like about my new phone is the edges, feels like a big 5S lol. I dropped my Max soo many times either by being clumsy, or it would fall out of my PJ's pocket or off my lap in the car. I dont have a case on my 14P yet.. so I baby it when I am out of the house lol.. I hate $1000+ phones lol.. but love them too.. le sigh.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
The iPhone 4/4s/5/5s/SE 2016 form factor is perfect for iPhone 12/13 mini but for iPhone 12/12 Pro/12 Pro Max/15/15 Plus/15 Pro Max they should use the iPhone 11 Pro/11 Pro Max form factor...

rocketbuc

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2017
I love my X and still use it to this this day, I'll keep using it until it is longer supported or the battery stops holding a charge. It currently says that the battery is at 78% maximum capacity. Not excited about having to upgrade, but we will have to wait and see. The new ones seem too big and I'm not keen on the multiple camera look. View attachment 2312245
Why don’t you get the battery exchanged? It will feel like a completely new phone!!

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
I also loved my iPhone X, kept it until this year. Still had original battery, although it was finally getting near the end of life. It lacked neural engine and some other SOC upgrades that support newer features, so I was missing out. Upgraded to 14 Plus which is a great phone for the money, took me awhile to get used to the larger size, but now I love it.

What finally convinced me was my phone provider kept increasing prices and got ridiculous even though I had been with them for years (and customer service was a joke) - so bye bye, zero stars.

ogawa

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2020
I agree with OP, for me X was the perfect form factor. Very comfortable to hold, all screen real estate still reasonably easy to reach with one hand, and yes the camera didn't protrude using a case. The screen was big and yet the overall size was small enough to slip in and out of your pocket. Much easier than my current 13 pro. Especially if you take photos, the x was much easier to whip out at a moments notice for a quick snap.

BLtheP

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2022
Texas
The X was a great phone to me, my only complaints with that phone were the battery life and the fact that 256GB was max storage. Otherwise I really liked it and it was towards the top as one of my favorites. Especially because it was very different from everything before it and started the trends of phones we have now.

I'm actually surprised they stopped supporting its software so soon. For it to be dropped the same time as iPhone 7 series makes no sense to me. It's not like it was handicapped in specs. Maybe has to do with 7P/8P/X all having 3GB RAM and 7/8 2GB.

I do really like the 15PM and my previous 12P though, so I'm not complaining. But the X just "hit different."

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
The X was a great phone to me, my only complaints with that phone were the battery life and the fact that 256GB was max storage. Otherwise I really liked it and it was towards the top as one of my favorites. Especially because it was very different from everything before it and started the trends of phones we have now.

I'm actually surprised they stopped supporting its software so soon. For it to be dropped the same time as iPhone 7 series makes no sense to me. It's not like it was handicapped in specs. Maybe has to do with 7P/8P/X all having 3GB RAM and 7/8 2GB.

I do really like the 15PM and my previous 12P though, so I'm not complaining. But the X just "hit different."
iPhone X and iPhone 8/8+ had one more year support than 7 series... iOS15 was the end of the line for 7 series, iOS16 was the end for the X/8/8+

Reactions: Andeddu

BLtheP

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2022
Texas
iPhone X and iPhone 8/8+ had one more year support than 7 series... iOS15 was the end of the line for 7 series, iOS16 was the end for the X/8/8+

Whoops...I got confused. Thanks. Still, I think the 6S got more years than the X. Just felt like the X was done for a bit early. But oh well.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
I prefer the dual camera layout of the iPhone X/XS/XS Max instead of what we have in iPhone 11 and newer... I think Apple should switch the triple camera layout to somehing like the Galaxy S10/S10+ but have the flash not on the same line as the cameras...

I think Apple should implement the flat sides for iPhone mini and bring back the rounded sides for bigger models...

EDIT: Didn't realize I have already commented on this thread

Last edited:

lolski

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2023
I completely agree with this post. iPhone X was leaps and bounds in terms of visual design to its predecessor.

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
Things I miss:

• It felt truly new. It was a massive design change from the 8 and Face ID was great.
  • It was a better size and feel to me. 5.8” was just about perfect and the rounded edges made it easy to hold.
  • As a result of the last point, it was lightweight. It looked good and premium without being overly flashy like the edges on the 13/14.
  • It had (along with the 11) the last great Apple leather case made. It wore evenly and beautifully.
  • Personally, I liked the improved but unobtrusive cameras.
Things I like about the new phones are the DI, 120hz, and of course improved brightness and battery life. I wish we could have this but in the X’s form factor alongside the glorious return of the once-great Apple leather cases. Not gonna happen, but it was nice reminiscing.
Agree 100%. I think the iPhone X was peak iPhone — as it delivered a great balance of features, performance, battery life, premium materials and one-hand usability.

The X did not force a choice between size and performance. Unfortunately the X was the end of that Apple design philosophy — which I believe is a strategic mistake as the new “premium = bulky” design philosophy is forcing many to choose smaller, less-expensive iPhones because the top-of-the-line phones are too dam#*d big and reportedly getting even bigger.

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
They didn’t disable it, even in iOS 17. I can still use pressure sensitive screen to draw lines of different thickness with ease. And when doing long press, iPhone XS Max does it ever so slightly faster than my iPad Pro 11” M1 which doesn’t have pressure sensitive screen.
You can still get the XS and run the latest OS if you feel like you are missing it :)

But I agree, it was quite a big change, and we have had a few before that such as the the move from 5S to 6. The 4S to 5 and so on. Not as substantial a change but still quite a big one.
These days most changes aren't really visible to the eye.

When it comes to the leather case I can understand what you mean, It can look great, but still, leather on a phone in 2023....feels like something from the past. I can absolutely see situations where leather is better than a synthetic version, but not as as a cellphone case.
I even start looking at alternatives to leather for my motorcycle gear these days, hard to find good quality but its getting there.
Greats heads-up guys. I didn’t realize that the XS was compatible with iOS 17. Does anyone know if the XS still supports 3D Touch — or if it’s limited to the XS Max?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Greats heads-up guys. I didn’t realize that the XS was compatible with iOS 17. Does anyone know if the XS still supports 3D Touch — or if it’s limited to the XS Max?

It's still there. But virtually all 3D Touch features have been removed from iOS. Having 3D Touch hardware or not basically makes no difference now.

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

Marty80

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2015
Melbourne
The X was Apple’s last innovative phone getting rid of the home button & adding face id.

It felt very premium, the titanium frame feels cheap and more prone to wear and tear, and the camera bump was less of an issue than.

If the rumors hold the next x phone will be the iphone 19, if it goes full screen removing the cameras, and the awful dynamic island.

Reactions: Makisupa Policeman

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
It's still there. But virtually all 3D Touch features have been removed from iOS. Having 3D Touch hardware or not basically makes no difference now.
With a notable exception of note-taking and markup when you draw a line.

Reactions: JPack
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.