Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoreVidal

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 19, 2011
32GB 4G LTE Kindle Fire with 8.9" screen and 250MB/mo data plan for $500 and $50/yr data? Seriously!?

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
I wouldn't say that. A Kindle Fire HD tablet is not even close to being as capable as an iPad

Sure, you save money on LTE, but who gives a crap when you have to use it on a subpar device connected to the Amazon cloud?

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
much less androids lack of tablet apps.
Much less using the Amazon app store. I just looked into it. They block apps that let you do things like play video files.

This tablet is for bigger consumer sheep than well...you know who.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
We were given a Fire
We never used it

I tried to use it, play with it, experience it
Ugh
A different size wouldn't make any difference to me

Love my iPad

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Agreed- but go check AT&T's price on  devices on that exact data and report back.

But that's not the point. The point is 4G at $60 annually doesn't mean anything if you don't have enough bandwidth to do anything beyond check emails and light web surfing.

THEAnonymous

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2008
But that's not the point. The point is 4G at $60 annually doesn't mean anything if you don't have enough bandwidth to do anything beyond check emails and light web surfing.

And that will be MORE than enough for many new Kindle Fire owners. Not everyone is an internet power user, especially on a tablet...and especially when people already have a home internet connection.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
And that will be MORE than enough for many new Kindle Fire owners. Not everyone is an internet power user, especially on a tablet...and especially when people already have a home internet connection.

Clearly

But it's not going to be that much of a marketing tool. Consumers aren't that ignorant.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX

agreed, I use 3-5 gb a month.. but most people i know use 250mb or less.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
Not for a lot of people. But I didn't even mention the $300 version at $200 less than the iPad with roughly similar specs.

I love how people can even think to compare a Kindle Fire to any tablet made by Apple or even the Nexus 7. What Bozos forgot to mention during his speech is that the low end Fires are sold cheap, because they are completely full of supported ads. You won't be able to get passed the splash Page without ads blaring your ears and eyes. I can't understand why anyone would buy something like that? It's like buying a tv, but you can only watch commercials and the home shopping network on it.

----------

Hate to tell you this, but unless people can manually shut 4g off and only use 3g, even if they don't get on the Internet, as long as it leaves wifi, it will use more than 250mb a month, just in push notifications and signal/gps location all data, not to mention Amazons pull of data from the device at random intervals. Yeah, enjoy.

mcman77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2011
A Kindle Fire HD is a consumption device rather than a productivity device. I don't care to deal with Amazon's content in order to watch stuff on their tablet.

no tablet currently on the market is a productivity device.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
I love how people can even think to compare a Kindle Fire to any tablet made by Apple or even the Nexus 7. What Bozos forgot to mention during his speech is that the low end Fires are sold cheap, because they are completely full of supported ads. You won't be able to get passed the splash Page without ads blaring your ears and eyes. I can't understand why anyone would buy something like that? It's like buying a tv, but you can only watch commercials and the home shopping network on it.

----------

Hate to tell you this, but unless people can manually shut 4g off and only use 3g, even if they don't get on the Internet, as long as it leaves wifi, it will use more than 250mb a month, just in push notifications and signal/gps location all data, not to mention Amazons pull of data from the device at random intervals. Yeah, enjoy.

Using 4g doesn't make you use more data. Loading a web page uses the same data on 4g as it does on 3g. The only people that use tons if data are people who stream lots of video ot Pandora. We. Rising barely uses any bandwidth. I have 4g and only use slightly over this. That occasionally and less than that a lot of the time. Most of that data is the speed test app. Having this 250mb of data is great because it allows you to use Google maps navigation and other things. Android itself is also a lot more conservative about data usage. IOS is much more data intensive for some reason. I use my phone all the time and I don't use a lot of data and I have unlimited. I flash ROMs all the time and do all sorts of stuff. As long as your not streaming Netflix all the time it should be pretty good.

My phone checks into Google and has location history enabled for Google now. All that barely uses a mb a month.

Scrub175

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2012
Port St Lucie FL
no tablet currently on the market is a productivity device.

Not knowing exactly what extent of production you imply, I use my iPad at work for more than emails. I mark up documents for meetings and during meetings. I remote into my desktop to perform some tasks. Record meeting notes and email the product right away. Some minor word reports So in the purest sense I don't produce graphic heavy PowerPoint like one would on a desktop, but I have used my iPad in production and some efficiency modes.

As for kindle, had it used it returned it. Didn't care for the need to enter a credit card to access the app store for free apps without a way to lock out purchases. I did find a work around on the net to enter a dummy account number to allow access to the app store but it was silly. I see the kindle lines as an extension of the amazon store front first and foremost. Then some tablet functionality.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
I wouldn't say that. You can do a lot of productive stuff on an iPad these days. It's just not as productive as a desktop PC.

I think what he's getting at is an iPad is meant for consumption, it can be used for light productive tasks for sure.

I think the Microsoft Surface Pro will be the first " productive/non content consumption " tablet we'll see get popular.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
Using 4g doesn't make you use more data. Loading a web page uses the same data on 4g as it does on 3g. The only people that use tons if data are people who stream lots of video ot Pandora. We. Rising barely uses any bandwidth. I have 4g and only use slightly over this. That occasionally and less than that a lot of the time. Most of that data is the speed test app. Having this 250mb of data is great because it allows you to use Google maps navigation and other things. Android itself is also a lot more conservative about data usage. IOS is much more data intensive for some reason. I use my phone all the time and I don't use a lot of data and I have unlimited. I flash ROMs all the time and do all sorts of stuff. As long as your not streaming Netflix all the time it should be pretty good.

My phone checks into Google and has location history enabled for Google now. All that barely uses a mb a month.

You assume way to much in your look at data. People are inherently stupid and rarely accept their own faults. Btw, Google search gps navigation app requires data. And if you flashed a rom, then at some point you had to download or recover a boot image. Do that one time and you are looking at over 200mb. Somehow, I get the impression you know less about Android than you think you do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.