Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
Much less using the Amazon app store. I just looked into it. They block apps that let you do things like play video files.

This tablet is for bigger consumer sheep than well...you know who.

An app store that blocks apps? Who in their right mind would buy a tablet with an app store that does that? Also I just checked and there are a ton of video player apps in Amazon's App Store. Not to mention the device will get rooted and will be running normal Jelly Bean in no time.

mcman77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2011
I wouldn't say that. You can do a lot of productive stuff on an iPad these days. It's just not as productive as a desktop PC.

Can you give me some examples.

Not knowing exactly what extent of production you imply, I use my iPad at work for more than emails. I mark up documents for meetings and during meetings. I remote into my desktop to perform some tasks. Record meeting notes and email the product right away. Some minor word reports So in the purest sense I don't produce graphic heavy PowerPoint like one would on a desktop, but I have used my iPad in production and some efficiency modes.

Sounds good, but is it Really productive? How long does it take compared to working on a desktop? Productivity would also include time / product i'd assume. Maximizing production is yet to be done with a tablet (I guess is a better way to phrase what I initially meant).

They are fun though.

bagelche

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
Western Mass.
A Kindle Fire HD is a consumption device rather than a productivity device. I don't care to deal with Amazon's content in order to watch stuff on their tablet.

Hmm... a consumption device. Where have we heard that argument before?

I'm impressed at how quickly so many on this forum have jumped right in to slag these offerings. There's a lot we don't about them, but on a surface level Amazon seems to be offering some impressive combinations of hardware and software that no other Apple competitor has been able to approach. I look forward with some tempered optimism for a true challenge in the tablet arena.

Scrub175

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2012
Port St Lucie FL
Can you give me some examples.

Sounds good, but is it Really productive? How long does it take compared to working on a desktop? Productivity would also include time / product i'd assume. Maximizing production is yet to be done with a tablet (I guess is a better way to phrase what I initially meant).

They are fun though.

My work requires the use of computers to produce paper documents. The paper documents are used in meetings for note taking and the notes transfered back to a computer.

I have gained some efficiency since I'm not transferring paper notes to email or word, PDF email and ship off while still in meetings. Reference to procedures is handy in the meeting settings. For the one schedule review meeting I use the iPad the interface works better than paper and the results are instantly sent to my co worker for action. All this is paperless as well. The meeting packet was 50-60 pages but has been trimmed down to 20. So one meeting a week every week for a year not using paper adds up.

Now that our IM (IT) department allowed access with ios devices , remoting in to my desktop is pretty handy. The remote app has great multi touch gestures that once learned makes the interface more productive than one would think.

If your willing to think outside the box and experiment to find the most practical solution to utilize a tablet in production mode, it can work efficiently. I guess your only limited by apps and your mind at some point.

bagelche

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
Western Mass.
no tablet currently on the market is a productivity device.

Trolling troll trolls.

If you haven't found a use for an iPad or any other tablet in your workflow, that's fine, but as a blanket statement, that's been proven false by all sorts of examples in any number of fields.

Pilots, musicians, medical staff, writers, graphic artists, service technicians, merchandise salespeople, lawyers, government officials, etc. etc. etc. The list is essentially endless for people who have incorporated tablets into their productive workflows.

mcman77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2011
My work requires the use of computers to produce paper documents. The paper documents are used in meetings for note taking and the notes transfered back to a computer.

Trolling troll trolls. Pilots, musicians, medical staff, writers, graphic artists, service technicians, merchandise salespeople, lawyers, government officials, etc. etc. etc. The list is essentially endless for people who have incorporated tablets into their productive workflows.

that is nice that you guys have found a way to implement it in your lives/work flow BUT my point is, what can an ipad do that a netbook/small laptop can't?

I honestly believe that a small laptop will do everything an ipad can faster and easier ie more productive.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
that is nice that you guys have found a way to implement it in your lives/work flow BUT my point is, what can an ipad do that a netbook/small laptop can't?

I honestly believe that a small laptop will do everything an ipad can faster and easier ie more productive.
We're saying the same thing, guy. All we are saying is that tablets are not unproductive.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX

i disagree, a laptop can do some stuff more productive than an ipad.. not everything. and the ipad can do other stuff more productive

i can type a word document just as easily on my ipad, as i can on my computer. Using my ipads touchscreen, or a bluetooth keyboard case.. or i can write notes in a meeting with a stylus, and the app will convert the handwriten words to text..

I run a noble dialer for a call center, i can use the exact same desktop application on my ipad.. mobile..
Its equaly productive to touch the program and more productive on my ipad in certain situations i.e.... i can be in a meeting with other supervisors and not have to leave to my office and configure the algorithms/load sql statements into the call lists.
More productive for me in that aspect.
i use garage band, playing a piano on my ipad using the touchscreen with
"realistic" sized keys, or having to record the same piano rift using an awkward keyboard on my iMac.. I find the ipad more productive in that case.

Not everything is more productive on a laptop for me.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
OG Kindle is an e-book reader. 250 mb per month allows people to download books and stimulate there e-book market.

If you want a tablet for heavy cellular Internet use gets a real tablet.

What is so hard about this?

maxwelltech

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Irvine, CA, USA
For those talking about being an inferior product and not satisfied about the amount of data you get, just look at the pricing.
Kindle Fire HD with 4G: $499
iPad 3 32GB 3G w/ 250MB per month for a year: $729+$180=$909
The Kindle Fire of course is not as good as the iPad, but it is also almost half the price. At that price, it has got way better bang for the buck there than the iPad.
I'm afraid that Apple is going to lose a lot of market share. The other companies are quickly catching up while Apple itself is not innovative anymore after the passing of Jobs (add a better display and call it revolutionary).

desertman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2008
Arizona, USA
They block apps that let you do things like play video files.
And that is bad because it's done by Amazon?

How do you feel about Apple blocking innumerous apps, i e. because they think it is not appropriate for us to know about deaths from US drone strikes or see a naked female breast?

Scrub175

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2012
Port St Lucie FL

Another valid point, but rather than focus on integrating a laptop cause it's easier I wanted to find a way to adapt my systems and processes around the iPad. I like the challenges of figuring work arounds to the limitations offered by apps, paper users, and time constraints of a meeting. I like knowing I'm working on things no one at my site has tried with an iPad. I've lived through some growing pains and have new processes set up to overcome the perceived loss of productivity. Other co workers have seen the value and strategies I've employed and purchased iPads as well.

When leading a meeting I find I have better presence in the meeting when I'm on the iPad compared to being behind a computer screen.

Back on topic kinda, where's the amazon phone?

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
What Bozos forgot to mention during his speech is that the low end Fires are sold cheap, because they are completely full of supported ads.

I thought all of them were supported by ads? Anyway, it's a deal breaker. Not to mention it still runs Carousel, which sucks.

I have no doubt it'll cut into the tablet market fairly well regardless because of that price point.

EDIT: Yep. Every Kindle Fire runs ads: http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/06/new-kindle-fire-hd-ad-supported/

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Yes, on the lock screen, but not while using it. Know that for sure because I actually own a Kindle (probably unlike most people here who suddenly became Kindle experts).

That's what it said in the link. Nobody needs to own a Kindle to find that out. Nothing I said was inaccurate.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
Yes, on the lock screen, but not while using it. Know that for sure because I actually own a Kindle (probably unlike most people here who suddenly became Kindle experts).

Really?

amazon-kindle-fire-to-include-ads-on-home-screen.jpg

mcman77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2011
i disagree, a laptop can do some stuff more productive than an ipad.. not everything. and the ipad can do other stuff more productive

i can type a word document just as easily on my ipad, as i can on my computer. Using my ipads touchscreen, or a bluetooth keyboard case.. or i can write notes in a meeting with a stylus, and the app will convert the handwriten words to text..

I run a noble dialer for a call center, i can use the exact same desktop application on my ipad.. mobile..
Its equaly productive to touch the program and more productive on my ipad in certain situations i.e.... i can be in a meeting with other supervisors and not have to leave to my office and configure the algorithms/load sql statements into the call lists.
More productive for me in that aspect.
i use garage band, playing a piano on my ipad using the touchscreen with
"realistic" sized keys, or having to record the same piano rift using an awkward keyboard on my iMac.. I find the ipad more productive in that case.

Not everything is more productive on a laptop for me.

Fair enough, I see there is a use for it but my point was that it isn't really more productive. I doubt you can take notes as quick as you can with a pad+pen or type faster than you can on a keyboard vs onscreen.

That is just for me, I'll believe it when I see it, don't take offense.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
Fair enough, I see there is a use for it but my point was that it isn't really more productive. I doubt you can take notes as quick as you can with a pad+pen or type faster than you can on a keyboard vs onscreen.

That is just for me, I'll believe it when I see it, don't take offense.

i understand where you are coming from.. but i think it is more productive in certain situations, the same goes for a laptop. the ease of an ipad always being on. a quick on the fly open and change something on my dialer, jot down a note, as opposed to opening a laptop and sitting down is alone more productive TO ME.

What makes you doubt being able to type any less fast on a on screen keyboard?! vs physical.
the are both qwerty. maybe the first month i got it it was slower, but it really isnt hard to type just as fast if you give it some time and know how to type correctly.

how long have you tried typing on one? just like when i first used an iphone coming from a phone with a physical keyboard it felt slower, but after some time it was exactly the same as a smartphone with a physical keyboard.

i guess ill have to make a video for you when i get some spare time showing me type on an ipad lol ;)

wish your ipad worked out better for you, but i for one am thankful that mine makes my daily tasks easier at work.

----------

hahahahha

guess he doesnt use his fire much?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.