Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nixiemaiden

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
I am a huge huge huge Amazon fan. I have been a prime member since 2007. I absolutely love my Kindle. I do love my iPad but want something smaller and more portable and was ready to preorder the 7inch kindle HD. Half the time I am doing something with amazon anyway...kindle...streaming video...reading product reviews...etc. When I looked at the item listing and see "Includes special offers and sponsored screensavers" listed as a FEATURE it makes me cringe. I do NOT want ads to show up on my device. I spend so much money on Amazon as it is that forcing me to have ads on my device is ridiculous. This move has done nothing except make me not want to buy anything from Amazon ever again...ugh I hate that I love them so much. I wouldn't mind it if after they made their subsidy back they started giving me free song credits or movie rentals for having to deal with the ads.

I will still probably get the paperwhite WITHOUT the ads because the only negative thing about my kindle is not being able to read in bed at night without a light on. I am always going back and forth between my iPad and kindle.

mcman77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2011
i understand where you are coming from.. but i think it is more productive in certain situations, the same goes for a laptop. the ease of an ipad always being on. a quick on the fly open and change something on my dialer, jot down a note, as opposed to opening a laptop and sitting down is alone more productive TO ME.

What makes you doubt being able to type any less fast on a on screen keyboard?! vs physical.
the are both qwerty. maybe the first month i got it it was slower, but it really isnt hard to type just as fast if you give it some time and know how to type correctly.

how long have you tried typing on one? just like when i first used an iphone coming from a phone with a physical keyboard it felt slower, but after some time it was exactly the same as a smartphone with a physical keyboard.

Ahh! yes one point to you. That is a great point, standing up vs sitting down. The boot thing though doesn't exist, laptops today sleep and turn on in no time, same as ipads.

Typing on physical has the advantage of better feedback. It didn't work for me and others I know...but I image it'll work for some.

When windows 8 will come along with a fully fledged OS, that IMO will be productive...just like I hope OS XI will be one day! ( what I mean by this is that it'll be supported on something like a hybrid MBA ). I love OSX, true product of apple...but iOS, feels like its been developed by windows. And android....feels like its been developed by the older Apple ways TBH.

Scrub175

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2012
Port St Lucie FL

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
Way more interested in the new paper white kindle than the fire. We have a fire, a nexus 7, and an iPad 2. The fire is ok but it's used the least. When it comes to simply reading a book I prefer e-ink over anything else.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
A glorified JC Penney catalog for the 21st century. The Nexus 7 makes far more sense as a tablet.

And the iPad really has nothing to worry about.

opinioncircle

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
Amazon definitely brought game to the table. Is that enough for the iPad? Not quite sure just yet, but for other Android tablets, yes (the Asuses, the Acers).

As for the Nexus, if I sell my iPad, it'll go towards getting one of the Nexuses. Definitely attractive on the price, the fitting. Screams pragmatic, and not touchy feely like the iPad.

I wouldn't have any problems taking the Nexus out on a trip, while the iPad is more like the precious little thing you don't want the world to damage one way or another :):cool:

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
Ahh! yes one point to you. That is a great point, standing up vs sitting down. The boot thing though doesn't exist, laptops today sleep and turn on in no time, same as ipads.

Typing on physical has the advantage of better feedback. It didn't work for me and others I know...but I image it'll work for some.

When windows 8 will come along with a fully fledged OS, that IMO will be productive...just like I hope OS XI will be one day! ( what I mean by this is that it'll be supported on something like a hybrid MBA ). I love OSX, true product of apple...but iOS, feels like its been developed by windows. And android....feels like its been developed by the older Apple ways TBH.

oh yes! im excited about the surface.. it looks really promising. I think its going to do well IMO cant wait to play with one.

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
Surface is not going to amount to much. Its a more limited tablet, which needs an external keyboard and mouse to really be useful. Plenty of reports on Ars, engadget, etc all say the same. The software has too much of a dependacy on the traditional laptop/desktop usage.

MS is pretty much marketing it as a laptop plus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.