Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
I prefer IOS9. It has the most exploits allowing access into the Hollywood chip.

Wait...wrong iOS ;)

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2013
Design-wise and visually, it's the worst by far.

Feature-wise and functionality-wise, it's definitely the best, except for the music app and the new notification center.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Disagree, I have been using iOS since iPhone 1 in '07 and I enjoy iOS7 way more than any of the previous versions but again I sort of like change.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I think version 8 and 9 will be the best iOSes yet and we needed to go through a massive overhaul (7) with some rough patches in order to get there.

So while 7 is not the "best" it's a necessary stepping stone.

So where does that leave us? I can't say 7 is the best, no, but I massively prefer having it instead of iOS 6, 2.0.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Design-wise I'm ok with iOS7 except for a few areas such as:

The messages app - awful colours there.
The flat icons, and especially the childish system icons.

I'm ok with the functionality and performance except for:

Significantly worse battery life compared to iOS6
It's more buggy than iOS6
iOS7 has highlighted how low on RAM iDevices are - the Safari browser causes numerous problems if you actually utilise the increased tabs given to us with iOS7 (page refreshes and crashes).
The music app.

As for what it actually brings to the table in terms of new features, well aside from the control centre there isn't anything that I use. Airdrop is redundant for me and I don't much care for the new multitasking. So those who claim that iOS7 brings a host of show-stopping new features, well it really doesn't for the average user.

So, for me, iOS7 is a work in progress. I like some elements of the new aesthetics and I loathe some of them too. Performance is what really matters to me though and I really feel that iOS7 is hindered by the hardware. Perhaps the iPhone 6S, along with some software improvements, will finally show what iOS7 can do. I doubt that the iPhone6 will be the RAM-laden beast we require, but it just may be. Fingers crossed eh!

Time for the "iOS7 is fantastic and the 5S runs it perfectly" posters to show up :)

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Been using iOS since 2009, I think it's the best.

And I don't think the design is bad, it's just different. Took me a while to get used to it, but I think it looks very nice.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I don't want I say it's the best but it's better then all the others to this point.

You mean it looks better? It's less buggy? It performs better? It has an essential feature that none of the others did?

I'd say that it looks more modern, but then it's the latest version so we're kind of programmed to think that it therefore looks the least old-fashioned...
There is a valid argument that the icons actually look *more* old-fashioned due to their simplistic aesthetics. I'm just more concerned with how something performs before I start worrying about what it looks like, and iOS7 - for me - performs worse than 6.1.4

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
You mean it looks better? It's less buggy? It performs better? It has an essential feature that none of the others did?

I'd say that it looks more modern, but then it's the latest version so we're kind of programmed to think that it therefore looks the least old-fashioned...
There is a valid argument that the icons actually look *more* old-fashioned due to their simplistic aesthetics. I'm just more concerned with how something performs before I start worrying about what it looks like, and iOS7 - for me - performs worse than 6.1.4

It only looks "modern" to people who aren't old enough to remember Windows 3.1

1987 wants their icons back.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
It only looks "modern" to people who aren't old enough to remember Windows 3.1

1987 wants their icons back.

Yeah. Following fads is stupid. How long until flat icons are 'out' again? High-res screens and the best graphics performance possible are the requirements of a modern gadget, yet then they stick the most simplistic icons possible onto the homescreen. I'm surprised they aren't black and white!

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
No. For me it was iOS 6: I had to replace my modem like three times because there was a wifi issue with iOS and my router. Facebook integration? No thanks. Maps that only work flawlessly in the US? Meh. Smarter Siri... again, US only? Meh... Guided Access? couldn't care less...

And I think iOS 7 is the best mobile OS.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
There's going to be a lot of different mostly subjective and/or biased opinions which are really neither right nor wrong or good or bad. Some people find it good others find it bad and others find it in between. Not sure if that really says anything one way or another (or anything that hasn't really been said many times in quite a few similar threads in the past).

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
There's going to be a lot of different mostly subjective and/or biased opinions which are really neither right nor wrong or good or bad. Some people find it good others find it bad and others find it in between. Not sure if that really says anything one way or another (or anything that hasn't really been said many times in quite a few similar threads in the past).

Yes all these things have been said in the past, but there was some chance it would all make sense over time and iOS 7 would get better with age. Instead it seems some people initially liked it just because it was new and fashony but it has gotten old super fast. Flatness needs to die now.

----------

The icons are vastly different.

Well yes now that you mention it they are closer to my 1985 Amiga 1000 than to '87 Windows. Perhaps we should just have DOS back but limit it to only three commands at the prompt because after all we wouldn't want people to be confused by too many options.

Serelus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Vm9pZA
I think version 8 and 9 will be the best iOSes yet and we needed to go through a massive overhaul (7) with some rough patches in order to get there.

So while 7 is not the "best" it's a necessary stepping stone.

So where does that leave us? I can't say 7 is the best, no, but I massively prefer having it instead of iOS 6, 2.0.

I agree with this statement. Alot of iOS7 wasn't working properly at first but this was the first step towards greatness. I hope that with iOS 8 they bring back that wow feature I've been looking foward to.

R.Stoychev

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2012
ios 7 after 7.1 is working really good for me, yeah there are some bugs from time to time but I hope that they will be fixed in ios 8 :)

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Works fine for me but looks like total garbage. iOS 6 looked much more polished. I'll be happy when the whole "flat" fad is over.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.