Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
What did you guys think?

How so, what is wrong with the OS for you. For me it works well, I'm happy with it. The operating system has more features then iOS6.

Why not explain why you think its the worst?

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I think ios 7 is the best version of iOS yet.

I've been an iOS user since iOS 2, and visually and feature wise ios 7 is the best looking and most functional. Very few complaints from me here.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
You mean it looks better? It's less buggy? It performs better? It has an essential feature that none of the others did?

I'd say that it looks more modern, but then it's the latest version so we're kind of programmed to think that it therefore looks the least old-fashioned...
There is a valid argument that the icons actually look *more* old-fashioned due to their simplistic aesthetics. I'm just more concerned with how something performs before I start worrying about what it looks like, and iOS7 - for me - performs worse than 6.1.4

It has a essential feature that none of the others did control center. And I think it looks awesome.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Ranking the updates, Not including v1:

Best to worst:

1. iPhone OS 2: Introduced App Store. It changes EVERYTHING.
2. iOS 5: Best update since v2. Wireless sync, Siri, iMessages, Notification revamps. Huge update.
3. iOS 4: Multitasking, Facetime. Nothing too special,Game Center.
4. iOS 7: Controversial UI changes, some slowness/bugs, some decent new features.
5. iPhone OS 3: Copy + Paste, turn by turn was nice, but added the dreaded IAP
6. iOS 6: New crappy maps, Passbook that still nobody uses, UI is looking a bit long in the tooth at this point.

iPhone OS 2 and iOS 5 are tough to beat. I don't think iOS 6 is bad, but the Maps changes and stale UI rank it last.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Another one of these posts. Who cares. Its not going anywhere. Besides, I like it and works just fine for me.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
For my work flow 7.1 is the best yet.

Visually? Meh, could be better but I'm used too it now.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
For my work flow 7.1 is the best yet.

Visually? Meh, could be better but I'm used too it now.

I quite like iOS 7 and have gotten use to the visuals. I still prefer iOS prior to 7 but unless you are like me who's running an iPad 3 with iOS 5, there's not much you can do about it now.

Ed91

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2007
I'm quite happy with it, save for the textured background of the Notes app (ugh), and the way the music app whisks me away to an album tiles view if I move my phone into landscape orientation.

I think iOS 7 offers a pretty good foundation to build off, and I'm excited to see what iOS 8 has to offer.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Yeah. Following fads is stupid. How long until flat icons are 'out' again? High-res screens and the best graphics performance possible are the requirements of a modern gadget, yet then they stick the most simplistic icons possible onto the homescreen.

Works fine for me but looks like total garbage. iOS 6 looked much more polished. I'll be happy when the whole "flat" fad is over.

You do both realize that the hi-res screens are the reason why every electronics company is making their graphics flatter, yeah?

Fake 3D, shadows, and fonts like Arial were all necessities born from the need to make low-res screens of the past more usable. These were design choices which were made because of limitations. Limitations that are now being removed.

Now that displays are behaving more like the printed page these electronics are all taking on the same principles as print.

Is flat a fad? Perhaps. No one can see the future. But I have to say that you're probably going to be waiting a long time if you think this is a short-lived fad.

Let's look at the last 91 years of Time Magazine as an example.

flattime.jpg

Doesn't look to me like this "fad" is going anywhere in a hurry.

deluxeshredder

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
You do both realize that the hi-res screens are the reason why every electronics company is making their graphics flatter, yeah?

Fake 3D, shadows, and fonts like Arial were all necessities born from the need to make low-res screens of the past more usable. These were design choices which were made because of limitations. Limitations that are now being removed.

Now that displays are behaving more like the printed page these electronics are all taking on the same principles as print.

Is flat a fad? Perhaps. No one can see the future. But I have to say that you're probably going to be waiting a long time if you think this is a short-lived fad.

Let's look at the last 91 years of Time Magazine as an example.

Doesn't look to me like this "fad" is going anywhere in a hurry.
Nonsense.

Graphically rich UIs are more demanding on screen quality than "flat" UIs. Monotonous blocks hide the pixelation pretty well, unlike detailed graphics. Note how non-Retina iPads struggle showing iOS 6's detail (even the fonts), while on iOS 7 it's all pixel clear.

Saying that graphically rich UIs are a way to hide display imperfections is like defending modern mainstream music by claiming that good lyric work is just a workaround for dated/simplistic audio gear.

All of these covers look equally flat, simplistic and consistent to me.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
Nonsense.

Graphically rich UIs are more demanding on screen quality than "flat" UIs. Monotonous blocks hide the pixelation pretty well, unlike detailed graphics. Note how non-Retina iPads struggle showing iOS 6's detail (even the fonts), while on iOS 7 it's all pixel clear.

Saying that graphically rich UIs are a way to hide display imperfections is like defending modern mainstream music by claiming that good lyric work is just a workaround for dated/simplistic audio gear.

Exactly. iOS 6 had a ton of attention to detail and the skeomorphic UI was mostly made of of small .png files.

A lot of the UI in iOS 7 is done in code, and therefore it's very likely slower devices lag because they aren't as fast to execute it as say, an iPhone 5 or 5S. Whereas images could be cached. Or it could be just bad optimization in general.

lulumink

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
Design-wise and visually, it's the worst by far.

Feature-wise and functionality-wise, it's definitely the best, except for the music app and the new notification center.

Totally agree. half baked design can't compete with the original iphone design, not 7 and not 8.
old iOS design is classic and will remain one of the best design works ever.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Nonsense.

I don't think you understood me at all.

I said that when you have limited equipment your options are limited. I then said that when your equipment improves you have more options. My point is that improved screens give more options.

Do you disagree with that?

I'm not sure what you're trying to argue here but it doesn't seem to have anything to do with that point.

Yes, that's why I showed them. You've got it.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
iOS 7 seems rushed and unfinished, hopefully 8 will fix these issues. It's still ok but it's a bit buggy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.