Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
Yes please make one, I really want a unit like that but still prefer iOS so I’d rather buy an Apple foldable.

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
They might have an 80% market share but this doesn’t mean they make a lot of money on the phones they sell. How many do they sell each year/quarter? Apple sells 40 million iPhones in a blink of an eye.

Samsung is expecting to sell 15 million foldables this year, so a bit more than the iPhone mini sold according to what I can find. Samsung are expecting this to be growing a lot in the coming years though, we will see if they are right.

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
Apple is salivating on the luxury price point of the fold.
Oh you just wait!
'The Apple iFold Pro Plus Max Ultra is 20% faster than iPhone, with a beautiful, sleek and lightweight battery-less design. It is powered by our ground-breaking new CreativityPlus technology, up to 2x faster and more efficient than batteries.
The iFold Pro Plus Max Ultra is our most ambitious product yet, and it starts at only $2999.99*, an incredible value.
*charging port not included. It allows us to make the iFold Pro Plus Max Ultra up to 2% lighter. Charging port is an optional $200 pro upgrade.

• Haha
Reactions: decafjava

off3nc3

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2014
Romania
They might have an 80% market share but this doesn’t mean they make a lot of money on the phones they sell. How many do they sell each year/quarter? Apple sells 40 million iPhones in a blink of an eye.

That's pretty irrelevant in the whole topic of discussion , samsung also sells slab phones a dime a dozen world wide + foldable phones at 80% of the market cap.

The difference between them is , samsung has the TECH and Apple is just draining their consumers for the same product year in year out.

• Haha
Reactions: kitKAC

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005
That's pretty irrelevant in the whole topic of discussion , samsung also sells slab phones a dime a dozen world wide + foldable phones at 80% of the market cap.

The difference between them is , samsung has the TECH and Apple is just draining their consumers for the same product year in year out.
I think it is relevant, because it might be part of the reason why Apple hasn’t jumped on the bandwagon yet. They might not see it as financially viable. And by looking at the current hardware I can’t see Apple releasing anything similar anytime soon.

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
I think it is relevant, because it might be part of the reason why Apple hasn’t jumped on the bandwagon yet. They might not see it as financially viable. And by looking at the current hardware I can’t see Apple releasing anything similar anytime soon.

Dude, this year's model is an incredible ~10% improvement in performance!

257Loner

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2022
Apple is salivating on the luxury price point of the fold.
I agree, but with one reservation. It's possible Apple would rather preserve their image for quality products than risk that image producing a fold that delaminates or breaks in a year or two because folds are infamously fragile.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I agree, but with one reservation. It's possible Apple would rather preserve their image for quality products than risk that image producing a fold that delaminates or breaks in a year or two because folds are infamously fragile.
I think they will wait until their exclusive tech beats or exceeds current tech. Perhaps getting rid of the visible crease or something. And of course charge a premium by lower cost due to economies of scale, and increase profits.

ray6088

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2013
I'm considering to switch due to leak of physical SIM. I'm currently using 13 mini with one ESIM and one physical SIM installed. 13 mini is degrading and may replace the battery sometime this year. I'm sad about Apple decisions, at least give me one physical SIM even I am forced to upgrade the bigger & heavier 15 pro. I wish they make mini back. Seriously, I'm looking for Z flip 5.

257Loner

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2022
I think they will wait until their exclusive tech beats or exceeds current tech. Perhaps getting rid of the visible crease or something. And of course charge a premium by lower cost due to economies of scale, and increase profits.
What exclusive tech? Samsung Display, LG Display, and BOE produce all of the OLEDs used in the iPhone, as well as nearly all of the flexible OLEDs used in folding phones. Apple would be relying on the same technology other companies use for their own folding phone. If that technology has durability issues in other phones, it will be present in Apple's as well.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Maybe, but i think the i names have been working out quite well for them...
For sure.

So they will drop the iDevices soon?
Maybe both iPhone and iPad will go.

In favor of AppleFold - Max, Pro, Medium, Mini? Phone choice or not.

But wait, they released a new iMac 24" quite recently, so iProducts are not dying.

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
For sure.

So they will drop the iDevices soon?
Maybe both iPhone and iPad will go.

In favor of AppleFold - Max, Pro, Medium, Mini? Phone choice or not.

But wait, they released a new iMac 24" quite recently, so iProducts are not dying.
Maybe, but i highly doubt it. They will milk the i names as much as possible. Then, later, they will go i-less lol like Intel did recently with their processors. core i5 went to core 5, and so on...

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Returning the Galaxy Z Fold 5 soon. I absolutely still want a foldable but not until all these issues are resolved.

1. No crease whatsoever.

2. Dust resistance.

3. Wide cover screen for two hand typing.

I don't think we see a folding iPhone until 1 & 2 become reality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.