Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
On another note Apple can’t even scale their iPad UI across the different sizes. Based on iPad/iOS history they would do a crap port of iOS to the fold, people would complain, then years after band-aid fixes they would create FoldOS (maybe fOS ha) and it would be more confusing than ever.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Sounds like If Apple do a foldable it will be in iPad or Mac type device. Apple seem more focused on Apple vision than foldables

Reactions: KeithBN

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Would be interesting to see what Apple would do to stand apart from Android models. Maybe instead they will do a much thinner "roll up" phone akin to windows blinds <g>.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Folding products are inevitable - nearly everyone wants a larger screen. For Apple, it comes down to mechanical reliability before they're willing to launch it.

We've seen the Pro Max grow in popularity and physical size. It started at 6.5-inch and is 6.7-inch now. Next year, it will be 6.9-inch. Apple always wants more space to add more sophisticated cameras. I doubt it will stop any time soon.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Folding products are inevitable - nearly everyone wants a larger screen. For Apple, it comes down to mechanical reliability before they're willing to launch it.

We've seen the Pro Max grow in popularity and physical size. It started at 6.5-inch and is 6.7-inch now. Next year, it will be 6.9-inch. I doubt it will stop any time soon.
So if the size of the Pro Max keeps growing, why is a folding phone inevitable?

You can argue convenience, the ability to have a smaller phone in your pocket that folds out to a larger screen. But still, why would Apple create a folding phone if they are just going to keep growing the size of another phone?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
So if the size of the Pro Max keeps growing, why is a folding phone inevitable?

You can argue convenience, the ability to have a smaller phone in your pocket that folds out to a larger screen. But still, why would Apple create a folding phone if they are just going to keep growing the size of another phone?

At some point, the Pro Max will be uncomfortable to hold even for those with large hands. Consumers are asking for more battery life to satisfy longer screen times. Would Apple rebrand an iPad mini as iPhone Pro Max? It seems unlikely.

Foldables solve a number of issues including camera and lithography. The periscope module uses a lot of space and if Apple wants to increase zoom further, they need more space. Newer nodes let TSMC to pack more transistors, but power efficiency and performance are no longer improving as fast. Future gen will involve stacking chips to increase performance. That type of packaging needs space.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Doubt Apple will do this. It would eat up some of the iPad market.
Apple’s not very concerned about eating up their own market. Dollars going to Apple remain dollars going to Apple whether they’re buying a Mac, an iPad or an Apple Fold.

And, they’re quite adept at having costs set such that when one does choose a different Apple product than what they had previously, Apple’s still going to net a similar profit.

Last edited:

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Doubt Apple will do this. It would eat up some of the iPad market.

Getting almost a square when unfolding these folding phones, a square is a very awkward formfactor for a screen. Maybe if they did a tri-fold?

aapl-2q23-pie-chart.jpg

Would Apple mind if consumers buy a $1,899 iPhone instead of a $799 iPad Pro? Apple had that same fear back in 2010-2012 when they kept iPhone small. They feared phablets would cannibalize iPad sales. Turns out margins were much better with iPhone 6 Plus and people still bought iPads.

Besides, Apple is planning foldable iPads along with foldable iPhones.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006

We've seen the Pro Max grow in popularity and physical size. It started at 6.5-inch and is 6.7-inch now. Next year, it will be 6.9-inch. Apple always wants more space to add more sophisticated cameras. I doubt it will stop any time soon.
You hit the nail on the head, iPhone has to be reliable and last over 5 years, compare this with Android devices that are replaced every year to three years. If an Android folding devices fails who cares however if an iPhone folding device fails it will be major negative press. People salivating for these folding devices don’t realize that playing with one in a store for minutes vice using it daily is two different matters. The reliability is just not there compared to a candy bar form factor, rollable may be better than foldable but only marginally.

The OP sounds like one of those who test drives a luxury sports car and desires it only to find out that it’s expensive to purchase, own, maintain, theft and not practical on a daily basis.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
The haters will likely be the first in the queue for one!
For me, I highly doubt that. I'm a one device, one purpose type of person and while I can appreciate a jack of all trades, when I'm doing something I don't want a master of none.

I'll pull out my iPad if I need a larger screen and if it requires more then I'll just use my MacPro. I sit in front of my MP for 16+ hours a day anyway (I work from home) so it's just easier.

No foldable is going to match the screen real estate on my MP.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
I'd also imagine that for your $2K buy you'd have Apple telling you that the fold line is a feature and not a limitation - like the notch. ;)
If the notch and DI is an engineering limitation design to look different by marketing standards then the crease in the screen for a folding device will be Android’s.

Reactions: AlexMac89

Sami13496

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2022
Foldable is solving a problem that doesn’t exist. Or actually, not even solving. At least in current form.

Hypothetical problem/need: I want to have small device that fits in my pocket but when I use it I want it to have large screen.

Foldable:
- Not small enough to fit your pocket.
- Not large enough screen unfolded to make big difference compared to normal 6.7 inch smartphone screen.
- Ton of compromises despite the lack of real benefits.
- Costs 2-3x more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.