Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Not interested in an iPhone screen that will snap or shatter after a year of use.

Apple also wants a premium experience, and glass feels more premium than plastic. But you can't fold glass...

Reactions: TVreporter

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I have no interest in having a bigger screen all the time, but I do kind of miss flipping my phone open and snapping it shut. So something like a Motorola Razr is more interesting to me. Although I’m not sure the novelty and any practicality gained outweighs whatever practicality is lost.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I agree, it seems like apple is always so behind competition..
That's probably so. Apple always releasing stuff after everyone else has done it. Old story by now right?

So why is Apple a billion dollar company that continues to sell iPhones and iPads based on outdated tech and yesterdays features?

Are you as stumped on that question as I am? Or maybe you have another explanation?

sputnikBA

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2018
I’ve decided that as long as you can see a crease running along the length of the device’s display, it’s not for me.

Once manufacturers solve that then I’m willing to give foldables/rollables a fair shake as long as the price isn’t too awful.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
That's probably so. Apple always releasing stuff after everyone else has done it. Old story by now right?

So why is Apple a billion dollar company that continues to sell iPhones and iPads based on outdated tech and yesterdays features?

Are you as stumped on that question as I am? Or maybe you have another explanation?
well, Samsung took top spot over apple many times :)

Last edited:

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
lisa_simpson_meh_by_captainedwardteague_dduzwf7-fullview.png

I'm ok if Apple makes one. I'm ok if Apple doesn't. I don't plan on getting it for now. No strong feelings either way for me.

But...if I were to get one, it will have to fold out at least to the size of an iPad mini, folded to no bigger than an iPhone Pro or Pro Max, and weigh no more than a Pro or Pro Max with no sacrifice on battery life, and cost no more than 50% on top of the Pro or Pro Max.

That might be impossible for a while. And so it's not worth it for me and I'd prefer a lighter, smaller mobile device like the iPhone, which I am generally very happy with.

Last edited:
Reactions: phrehdd and kp98077

magicman32

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
Not interested in an iPhone screen that will snap or shatter after a year of use.

Apple also wants a premium experience, and glass feels more premium than plastic. But you can't fold glass...
I mean, I don't want to get nit picky here, but you actually can. These folding devices are made of actual thin, folding glass. Sure, its covered with a layer of plastic for protection, but it is, in fact, glass.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I'm wondering if an Apple foldable would cannibalize sales of or even replace an iPad mini. Also how Apple will handle the device having one screen with normal iOS properties alongside another that is closer to what you'd have on iPadOS. I know that the codebase isn't that different. But Apple IS separating the two from the standpoint of features and capabilities even if the underlying codebase of the OS is the same. Makes things...weird, to say the least.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
lisa_simpson_meh_by_captainedwardteague_dduzwf7-fullview.png

I'm ok if Apple makes one. I'm ok if Apple doesn't. I don't plan on getting it for now. No strong feelings either way for me.

But...if I were to get one, it will have to fold out at least to the size of an iPad mini, folded to no bigger than an iPhone Pro or Pro Max, and weigh no more than a Pro or Pro Max with no sacrifice on battery life, and cost no more than 50% on top of the Pro or Pro Max.

That might be impossible for a while. And so it's not worth it for me and I'd prefer a lighter, smaller mobile device like the iPhone, which I am generally very happy with.
Damn! That's the Lisa Simpson image I never knew I needed in my life until I saw your comment with it.

Reactions: MacCheetah3

257Loner

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2022
Foldables are difficult to do right. There is nothing wrong with how Samsung or Google have been making their slab-style smartphones for years, and yet neither of them can nail the foldable. Apple could improve over its competition, but it would be difficult.

TheGeneralist

macrumors regular
May 1, 2020
From my point of view, nothing has changed since the introduction of this technology - it comes with a whole bunch of significant disadvantages without providing a single relevant advantage. The small improvements which were achieved since the first fold phones (which were not at all ready for the market) do not change anything about that.

If ever introduced in the area of iPhones, iPads or similar, IMHO it should be a technology which offers breakthrough improvements over how that technology works today.
As long as such an improvement is not in sight, I would not even bother with releases in this area.

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
I'm sure this doesn't irritate everyone, but one of my biggest gripes about foldable phones is the fingerprints on the screen. Those fingerprints usually (not always) wipe away when I put my phone in my pocket. If the device is closed, they'll stay on there until I take a cloth to the screen myself. A foldable might be cool to have (and I'm sure Apple will give me 100 reasons why I'll love it!), but I'm perfectly happy with my candy bar style phone right now and for the foreseeable future. I'd rather see phones go smaller again than any bigger.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
View attachment 2236197

Would Apple mind if consumers buy a $1,899 iPhone instead of a $799 iPad Pro? Apple had that same fear back in 2010-2012 when they kept iPhone small. They feared phablets would cannibalize iPad sales. Turns out margins were much better with iPhone 6 Plus and people still bought iPads.

Besides, Apple is planning foldable iPads along with foldable iPhones.
They’re testing prototypes of all kinds of feasible and not-so-feasible tech, as they always have been, not “planning” to launch foldables.

Yes, Apple could do it today. But they only will if A., they start losing significant market shares to foldables, and B., can do foldables in a way that sets their foldables apart from the rest of the market by either quality or features that others can’t deliver.

And on an aesthetic/design/finish note, almost nothing could be less Apple-like than ditching the solid metal slab with a glass display form factor for two metal slabs connected by a moving hinge with a semi plastic-ey foldable display with a crease in the middle.

The hinge would have to be something entirely seamless and the crease and plastic-ey nature of foldable displays completely eliminated.

Achieving the same solid and seamless feel in a foldable that you get in the candy bar form factor just isn’t possible and won’t be for decades. Not without some unforeseen innovations in tech.

Considering current tech and limitations on what material can do, and where Apple is already putting billions in r&d, it would be far more feasible for Apple to bet on portable AR/VR headsets with “endlessly” big super high quality virtual “displays” inside that connect to your iPhone and iPad wirelessly than doing something that would just be Samsung foldable product running iOS or iPadOS.

I’m expecting a much less capable, much less expensive Apple Vision “Portable Edition” (minus the “Pro” moniker) before Apple considers foldables.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
They’re testing prototypes of all kinds of feasible and not-so-feasible tech, as they always have been, not “planning” to launch foldables.

Yes, Apple could do it today. But they only will if A., they start losing significant market shares to foldables, and B., can do foldables in a way that sets their foldables apart from the rest of the market by either quality or features that others can’t deliver.

And on an aesthetic/design/finish note, almost nothing could be less Apple-like than ditching the solid metal slab with a glass display form factor for two metal slabs connected by a moving hinge with a semi plastic-ey foldable display with a crease in the middle.

The hinge would have to be something entirely seamless and the crease and plastic-ey nature of foldable displays completely eliminated.

Achieving the same solid and seamless feel in a foldable that you get in the candy bar form factor just isn’t possible and won’t be for decades. Not without some unforeseen innovations in tech.

Considering current tech and limitations on what material can do, and where Apple is already putting billions in r&d, it would be far more feasible for Apple to bet on portable AR/VR headsets with “endlessly” big super high quality virtual “displays” inside that connect to your iPhone and iPad wirelessly than doing something that would just be Samsung foldable product running iOS or iPadOS.

I’m expecting a much less capable, much less expensive Apple Vision “Portable Edition” (minus the “Pro” moniker) before Apple considers foldables.
So you think the cheaper Apple vision headset will replace how we use phones everyday i.e people walking about, commuting etc with these headsets on, i highly doubt that will ever happen. Apple Vision can replace desktops yes, but not how we interact with our phones on a daily basis. Foldables are the future because the candy bar phone has reaches its end of life in terms of development.

Reactions: JPack

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
Whereas the folding phone form factor is interesting.... remember the issues Samsung had on the first model having to recall it and re-release it with design changes.

Although, if Apple released one, this wouldn't be as chaotic as Samsung's first attempt....

I do feel like folding phones are the 3d... or curved... TVs of the phone world. It's a fad and marketing ploy. Im pretty sure that the folding phone is very niche because of its price point if nothing else.

There is no doubting that the larger screens are handy but I, like many, cant really get over that crease which is all but unavoidable in the current designs of folding phones.

Should this type of thing become more mainstream I see it more like a rollup phone instead of a folding one. Prototypes have been made and they are a bit more elegant without the fold.

Still a way off but I dont see Apple jumping on the bandwagon. I mean... as someone else has pointed out... can you imagine an Apple folding phone being anything south of 2,000?? no.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.