Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

off3nc3

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2014
Romania
Returning the Galaxy Z Fold 5 soon. I absolutely still want a foldable but not until all these issues are resolved.

1. No crease whatsoever.

2. Dust resistance.

3. Wide cover screen for two hand typing.

I don't think we see a folding iPhone until 1 & 2 become reality.

JerryRigEverything already proved that the z fold 5 has dust proof capability even if it's not posted by samsung , he couldn't crash it so he just trash talked it in the last video sequence.

For wide cover screen go for pixel fold , although a wider outter screen would be nice on the fold aswell. I don't think the tech is available to get rid of the crease yet but who notices it ? I don't.

We won't see an iphone fold ever at this rate , apple isn't taking any risks anymore they are just making baby steps in the same direction and they increase the price everytime. So you're in for a very very long wait for an iphone foldable.

Reactions: Rugalfury12

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
JerryRigEverything already proved that the z fold 5 has dust proof capability even if it's not posted by samsung , he couldn't crash it so he just trash talked it in the last video sequence.

For wide cover screen go for pixel fold , although a wider outter screen would be nice on the fold aswell. I don't think the tech is available to get rid of the crease yet but who notices it ? I don't.

We won't see an iphone fold ever at this rate , apple isn't taking any risks anymore they are just making baby steps in the same direction and they increase the price everytime. So you're in for a very very long wait for an iphone foldable.
my expection is you will never see a foldable iPhone. I think a notebook style is very possible but I have said for a while you will never get the best tech in a foldable and the cost will always be super high even if they could. if apple join foldable market it will be in 2025 which is still a long time away and by then they will be putting even more people into their vision pro which will likely have a version 2 by then. that's clearly apples next main device in the future.

Reactions: off3nc3

MrGunny94

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2016
Malaga, Spain
Returning the Galaxy Z Fold 5 soon. I absolutely still want a foldable but not until all these issues are resolved.

1. No crease whatsoever.

2. Dust resistance.

3. Wide cover screen for two hand typing.

I don't think we see a folding iPhone until 1 & 2 become reality.
I got the Fold 5, and honestly the only issue is really point 3) because the rest is pretty much not an issue anymore.

I'm quite happy with mine, I do all my multi tasking there.

off3nc3

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2014
Romania
my expection is you will never see a foldable iPhone. I think a notebook style is very possible but I have said for a while you will never get the best tech in a foldable and the cost will always be super high even if they could. if apple join foldable market it will be in 2025 which is still a long time away and by then they will be putting even more people into their vision pro which will likely have a version 2 by then. that's clearly apples next main device in the future.

Yea my sentiment is the same but on the whole vision pro debate , I highly doubt it at this price range it's a luxury item for a very niche market.

I also don't see them toning the price down for version 2.0 I actually expect them to even raise it , let's be honest apple's biggest money maker is the iphone followed by the macbook the rest are just fillers as of right now.

Reactions: The Game 161

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Yea my sentiment is the same but on the whole vision pro debate , I highly doubt it at this price range it's a luxury item for a very niche market.

I also don't see them toning the price down for version 2.0 I actually expect them to even raise it , let's be honest apple's biggest money maker is the iphone followed by the macbook the rest are just fillers as of right now.

You’re correct and I agree the vision pro price is insane and most don’t buy it anytime soon but I mean more in terms of apples investment and time seems to be so focused on this tech it’s hard to see them making another new product while spending billions on this one

Reactions: off3nc3

UKapple73

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2014
I think if Apple do a foldable, it will be a small screen one like the galaxy flip
I would prefer the galaxy fold style where you have a regular sized front screen which folds out to a tablet.
But I don’t think Apple want that. They famously stay away from “convertible” or 2-in-1 type devices. For example, no touch screen laptops, no convertible laptops, no Microsoft Surface style iPad/macbook product. They want the phone to be a phone and if you want a tablet, get a small iPad. Think it was Tim Cook who said they don’t do hybrid products as they are generally always a compromise and fall between two stools.
I think this is flawed thinking because some people are ok with that compromise to have the convenience of a laptop that can detach to a tablet; or a phone that folds to a tablet, instead of carrying 2 separate devices around.
Of course, maybe they are also worried about cannibalising other products, if they did a touchscreen convertible MacBook for instance, would less people by iPads? And if they had a large screen foldable phone, less people may buy an iPad

Reactions: mandopicker101

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Doubt Apple will do this. It would eat up some of the iPad market.

Getting almost a square when unfolding these folding phones, a square is a very awkward formfactor for a screen. Maybe if they did a tri-fold?

It will actually be a square when folded, just imagine an iPhone 12-13-14-15 folded in two halves in the middle. I would totally like it.

JiggyJaggy

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2020
In the interim get yourself a Xiaomi Mix Fold 3 and just run iOs launcher on it. Software of iOs but (IMO) better hardware with the Xiaomi.

mandopicker101

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2022
What use cases does a folding iOS/iPadOS device speak to? You want less screen real estate? More surfaces to display data on? I struggle to grasp why. I’ve seen several Samsung folders and…it’s an inherent hardware weakness, surely?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
What use cases does a folding iOS/iPadOS device speak to? You want less screen real estate? More surfaces to display data on? I struggle to grasp why. I’ve seen several Samsung folders and…it’s an inherent hardware weakness, surely?
Those who want a foldable basically want an iPad in the size of an iPhone. Meaning folded, it's the size of an iPhone and when you unfold it, it's the size (and screen real estate) of an iPad. Basically, you can carry a folded iPad around in your pocket and use it as a phone too.

I can see the convenience for those who are minimalists and/or just want to only use one device. I'm not one of those people, I prefer a dedicated device for each type of use case. And my lifestyle and profession do not require that I lug a MacPro with eight monitors around on the subway. So foldables have zero appeal to me.

Reactions: Rugalfury12
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.