Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
I mean, I can see why it might be a concern (long-term eye health), but without anything concrete at all, then it's just rhetoric. And I think we can all guess what the point of said rhetoric would be.

This is something that I am sure everyone is studying anyway. Whatever the results, I am sure we will see soon enough.

From the comments on this page, it appears anecdotally it might be slightly beneficial if anything...

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
I mean, I can see why it might be a concern (long-term eye health), but without anything concrete at all, then it's just rhetoric. And I think we can all guess what the point of said rhetoric would be.

This is something that I am sure everyone is studying anyway. Whatever the results, I am sure we will see soon enough.

From the comments on this page, it appears anecdotally it might be slightly beneficial if anything...
Yes, the comments from @someone33, @fs454 and @Eugr were instructive and makes perfect sense. The explanations appeal to me from experience. My oldest daughter was born with a condition where her eyes would occasionally lose focus and go in opposite directions. Her very attentive mother noticed this when she was less than a year old and brought it to my attention.

We were fortunate to be living within walking distance to the best children's hospital in the country at the time which also had one of the nation's preeminent optometrists. He examined our daughter and explained that her ocular muscles were under developed and not strong enough to keep both eyes focused consistently. He prescribed lenses which he explained would exercise her ocular muscles and strengthen them such that by the time she was in first grade she would not need them.

As predicted, her ocular muscles strengthened and eyesight improved such that she stopped wearing the glasses a few months before first grade. She is now a 35 year old college professor and still doesn't need glasses. The experience taught our family that regular exercise of ocular muscles by focusing on different objects at different lengths is essential to eye health. The comments from @someone33, @fs454 and @Eugr reinforced that learning and points to a possible therapeutic use case for AVP.

Last edited:

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
As someone with astigmatism and a pretty big difference in vision between my eyes, AVP and other XR headsets have been beneficial for my eyesight as well. I get pretty bad eyestrain if I have to focus on something closer than ~3 feet for more than an hour. I get double vision and eye fatigue in general.

In contrast, I can work for a couple of hours in AVP and not have any of these issues at all, as it maintains a comfortable focus distance of ~3-4 feet or so, and I can position the virtual screen at about the same distance as well, to help with eye convergence. Just need to remember to blink more often.

Thank you so much for sharing this. What you described is exactly me and I've been really unsure that I would even be able to use AVP. This gives me so much hope reading this. I still want to wait a generation or two for price/feature reasons but now I'm excited for that.

Reactions: G5isAlive and Eugr

Eugr

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2018
Thank you so much for sharing this. What you described is exactly me and I've been really unsure that I would even be able to use AVP. This gives me so much hope reading this. I still want to wait a generation or two for price/feature reasons but now I'm excited for that.
You are welcome! You can try Meta Quest 3 and see how it works for your eyesight. We are all different, so something that works for me would not necessarily work for you. Also, allow some time for adjustment. The first few times I used VR I was having double vision and couldn't focus. But my eyes adjusted after a while, and when they did, I could see the difference in 3D perception in the real world as well.

Make sure your prescription is up to date though.

Reactions: G5isAlive

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
You are welcome! You can try Meta Quest 3 and see how it works for your eyesight. We are all different, so something that works for me would not necessarily work for you. Also, allow some time for adjustment. The first few times I used VR I was having double vision and couldn't focus. But my eyes adjusted after a while, and when they did, I could see the difference in 3D perception in the real world as well.
It's interesting that you say that because it almost sounds like the sessions I had with the orthoptist that my ophthalmologist sent me to. I must rather do vision training in the AVP. 😂

Reactions: Cape Dave

Eugr

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2018
It's interesting that you say that because it almost sounds like the sessions I had with the orthoptist that my ophthalmologist sent me to. I must rather do vision training in the AVP.

I have both Quest 3 and AVP, and they are both great. AVP is better, especially if you don’t care about gaming, but Quest 3 is not bad too. I actually like the optics in Q3 much more as they have better edge-to-edge clarity and basically no distortions (other than reprojection issues for passthrough).

AVP displays are fantastic, but the lens quality is not great. I’m on my second unit and it still has issues, just different from the first one.

Reactions: MisterSavage

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I have both Quest 3 and AVP, and they are both great. AVP is better, especially if you don’t care about gaming, but Quest 3 is not bad too. I actually like the optics in Q3 much more as they have better edge-to-edge clarity and basically no distortions (other than reprojection issues for passthrough).

AVP displays are fantastic, but the lens quality is not great. I’m on my second unit and it still has issues, just different from the first one.
I'm actually really into gaming but the AVP is attractive to me for development and watching movies.

I need cheaper hobbies.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
As someone looking forward to immersing myself more fully in these new Vision Pro worlds of ultra reality, I look at these side issues as nothing more than a new reality we all need to adapt to.

OnTheeRize

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2015
Bay Area
I enjoy these types of discussions and dont think we should discredit people's opinion. I dont believe any of us actually were part of the team that developed the unit or are trained optometrists specializing on the impact of wearable technology.

I own a vision pro but have also wondered that impacts it could have on my health.
Although I trust Apple to not create a device that makes us all go blind and get cancer lol, i also understand that Apple is a for profit company that has corporate imposed timelines and profit goals they want/need to meet. They could definitely cut corners on safety and health research.

Personally I am rooting for positive health information but I wont close myself off from hearing of potential risks.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I enjoy these types of discussions and dont think we should discredit people's opinion. I dont believe any of us actually were part of the team that developed the unit or are trained optometrists specializing on the impact of wearable technology.
Thank you! I love the responses that are all "lol, just get used to it". Vision is an incredibly complex situation that varies from person to person.

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
I’m hoping if people have concerns about the health of their eyes especially concerning Vision Pro, they talk to their doctor, optometrist or ophthalmologist. I did talk to my ophthalmologist about whether he had any concerns about long-term damage. He did not. He said blinking more often might help with any strain or blurry vision afterwards.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
I’m hoping if people have concerns about the health of their eyes especially concerning Vision Pro, they talk to their doctor, optometrist or ophthalmologist. I did talk to my ophthalmologist about whether he had any concerns about long-term damage. He did not. He said blinking more often might help with any strain or blurry vision afterwards.
I did as well and got the same response. As with anything, though, if you have symptoms of eyestrain, take a break.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.