Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
MacOSX.com claims to have received information about a product called the Apple iBox.

According to the site, the iBox is essentially a modern set top box which would act as a wireless media hub connected to your television. Reportedly, the appliance will offer versions of iPhoto and iTunes to help manage your digitial media.

Readers should note that anonymous emails to random websites, however, tend not to be very accurate. Apple Set Top Box rumors have been around for years... and even made our Reject List for 2003.

Apple actually did produce an Apple Branded Set Top Box in 1995, but the system never went into full production. Early versions/prototypes can still be found floating around.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I actually have one of their non-full-production set top boxes.

I'll post a pic when I get a chance. They could be found on ebay for a while.

arn

moosecat

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
If it's a hoax, it's a pretty detailed one. But, it wouldn't be the first time ...

If it's true, I'm disappointed they won't be including TiVo service-like functionality. The TiVo box is useful; but TiVo service is what makes it lifestyle-altering.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by arn
I actually have one of their non-full-production set top boxes.

I'll post a pic when I get a chance. They could be found on ebay for a while.

arn

Does it have any functionality? what is it's purpose?

it's not the same thing as a Pippin, is it?

paul

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Re: Name is taken

Originally posted by cc bcc
What about this iBox? http://www.2khappyware.com/ibox/

That is what I thought of at first.

It seems pretty cool, although the specs seem pretty strange. Only 128 MB or Ram, and a G3...powering a SuperDrive? Is that even possible?

Other than that, it sounds really cool, but I doubt it will be introduced at MWSF, if ever.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Originally posted by Winston Smith
Credit card primed and ready for the 6th.
This is exactly the product I want.

Same here, although I'm not holding my breath waiting....

SpY2K

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2003
Minneapolis, MN
cant wait to see if anything like this is announced next week... I would swipe my plastic for a product with this sort of functionality...:cool:

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Originally posted by Winston Smith
Credit card primed and ready for the 6th.
This is exactly the product I want.

Question is always price ... but if Apple can put this out for $200-300 I might just buy two of them ... :)

A very detailed hoax if it is one, or perhaps a scuttled product ... there is always a good chance we'll never see such a device. But the specs look good for a closed-box system, and interacting with my PC/Mac is what has kept me from buying other similar products to date ...

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Re: Re: Name is taken

Originally posted by Freg3000

It seems pretty cool, although the specs seem pretty strange. Only 128 MB or Ram, and a G3...powering a SuperDrive? Is that even possible?

Other than that, it sounds really cool, but I doubt it will be introduced at MWSF, if ever.

G4 466-1330Mhz (Dual Capable)
I think that will be a pretty fast iBox.

snofseth

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
If it is only Itunes and Iphoto on your soundsystem/tv it seems like a waste to me. Right now you can just use and Ipod for music they make audio connectors so no need for that part of the product and Iphoto I dont use but if I did you can just use your camera. I also aready have tivo so I am not sure how it could be a new product and knowing apple this does not seem innovative enough

Gabriel

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2003
Steve spent a lot of time on a recent conference call talking about how he wasn't interested in set-top boxes. I don't remember his argument precisely, but he went on for awhile about how bad set-top boxes are. I do remember that he said people don't want to spend $$$ on a TV, and then go out and buy a separate set-top box, VCR, DVD player, game system, because it just becomes an expensive mess. Besides, I haven't used a TiVo but they are notoriously difficult to use and most people still can't set the clock on their VCR. Why make separate components with different interfaces that you have to plug into each other when you can combine all of it into the TV itself. Steve said that computers won't become more like TVs, TVs will become smarter. I think a set-top box is pretty unlikely, but maybe a huge flat screen TV with something like a TiVo built in?

KREX725

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2003
Does anyone actually think they would even call such a device an "iBox"? I think it's a hoax. It's just way too XBOX sounding first of all.

COS

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2003
Originally posted by Gabriel
I haven't used a TiVo but they are notoriously difficult to use and most people still can't set the clock on their VCR.

You couldn't be more wrong.
A tivo is so idiotically simple... ANYONE and EVERYONE would have no problem using one. I have one and I can honestly say that it totally replaced my VCR.

To record shows, you simply say thumbs up for shows you like and thumbs down for the ones you dont. It will not only record those shows in the future, but it will find shows similar shows based on your viewing habits.

As far as setting the time... because its connected to a phone line... it auto-syncs the clock with Tivo's servers at least once a day.

Why make separate components with different interfaces that you have to plug into each other when you can combine all of it into the TV itself.

To my knowledge, nobody has made a TV/Tivo/DVD/VCR yet.

Steve said that computers won't become more like TVs, TVs will become smarter.

Steve is right, but what he's getting at is that TIVO functionality is something that can be done by the cable companies. With that done, there's no need to have a Tivo OR VCR. The only things thats left is movies on demand (from the cable company) or a DVD player in the TV itself.

micvog

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2003
Besides, I haven't used a TiVo but they are notoriously difficult to use and most people still can't set the clock on their VCR.

Actually, TiVos are notoriously easy to use, and with the "Home Media Option" allow you to wirelessly display any photo or play any MP3 file from your Macintosh on your TV/stereo system. In other words, everything that is being talked about is already a reality with TiVo. I don't even see how Apple could improve TiVo (except to add AAC support to "HMO"). I believe this is why Apple now sells TiVos in their stores.

Michael

Larshart

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2002
Wouldn't it make sense...

Wouldn't it make sense for Apple to offer a TIVO type service for a set-top Box as a "Member Benefit" for a Mac.com account to help drive sales of Mac.com subscriptions?

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Besides, I haven't used a TiVo but they are notoriously difficult to use and most people still can't set the clock on their VCR.

You obviously haven't used a Tivo.

My wife is firmly in the blinking-12:00-perpetually crowd, and has never (successfully) programmed a VCR in her lifetime. She records shows on our Tivo (actually, a stripped-downcopy distributed by Dish) at least three times a week.

Tivo is point-and-click. If you can read a TV Guide grid display, you can program a Tivo.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Name is taken

Re: Re: Name is taken

quote:
Originally posted by Freg3000

G4 466-1330Mhz (Dual Capable)
I think that will be a pretty fast iBox.

Freg3000 is talking about the rumored set top box. You are referring to the iBox pizza box proposed computer.

edgar_is_good

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2003
Seattle, WA
.mac component?

I was thinking: if apple made one of these, it could work well with .mac. I have a replaytv and pay $10/mo to use it. You could imagine apple sells this, but w/o automated program guide, with .mac has automated program guide. (I imagine it works manually on its own). This, in turn, improves functionality of other devices, etc., etc. iSync with iphoto and maybe itunes.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
The iBox has a small, sleek encasement that is about 10 inches long, 6 inches wide and 1 - 1 1/2 inches thick. Its optical drive is slot loading and it has an on button that resembles the cube's power "button." Its case is made of the same material found on the G5, even sports the same grey logo on the top. The front, or face, of the iBox is pearl white, similar to an iPod.
ha ha. I think someone was smoking too much crack and mistook an iBook sitting on top of a TV for a set-top box.

The gadget does NOTHING NEW that an iMac + EyeTV can't do. Quite an uninspiring hoax...

Originally posted by dongmin
ha ha. I think someone was smoking too much crack and mistook an iBook sitting on top of a TV for a set-top box.

The gadget does NOTHING NEW that an iMac + EyeTV can't do. Quite an uninspiring hoax...

they way i understood the article was that the guy actually had the thing, not just mistook it from pictures or something...if it is a hoax, the guy had really thought it out, even made up features of the included apps explains in detail the interaction between his computer and the ibox, thats a helluva imagination, im inclined to believe the guy(then again im a glass is half full kinda person)

and about the name "ibox" its probably just a project name, maybe given to the testers specifically so that if they go to press with it, people will think he's nuts or making it up

maybe im making up reasons to believe him...thats prally just cause i want one so bad!!!

rubbergorilla

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2003
The most interesting part of this rumour is that they mention that because the iPod has opened so many doors into consumer electronic stores like fry's and best buy and that makes this set-top box more feasable.

Just think, if Apple tried to sell this unit 3 years ago who would have carried it? No one. Now that the iPod is such a runaway success these retailers are more likely to carry stock of an iBox. Plus consumers now have Apple in mind when buying consumer electronics because of the iPods.

I'm not saying I totally believe this rumour, but Apple sold almost a million iPods in fiscal 2003. I think Apple is starting to realize that consumer electronics are a huge money maker, and they could make a lot more money selling them to everyone, not just computers to less than 5% of the market.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.