Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Originally posted by G4DoobieDoobieD
Well the box pictured is a pre-WebTV prototype that did have features currently not included in MSNTV

Okay. You're talking about the Pippin, which isn't really the subject here (just an interesting aside). The subject under discussion is the "iBox" rumor, which reportedly includes a G3 and a SuperDrive and Airport Extreme, al of which didn't exist in 1995.

Sorry for the confusion; let's try and be more specific what we're calling a WebTV prototype :)

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by jettredmont
Tivo doesn't do all that the rumor says Apple's device will do. Read the source.
Umm, yeah it does. Everything except for the superdrive bit. TiVo does photos, music, remote scheduling, and multi-room viewing. It even does wireless.

I'm not saying this is a bad idea (although I wonder what good bluetooth is for a home set-top box), but there's already a product out there, compatible with Macs, that does this and does it well. Instead of creating a brand new product that won't offer anything particularly new and will piss off a developer, why not just work with TiVo to add a couple minor improvements, like the ability to import recorded TV programs into iDVD.

porovaara

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2002
sf
Re: Re: Re: Component video

Last I checked, Component Video was not higher resolution than S-Video.
SVideo is limited to 480 interlaced lines.

rjgjonker

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2001
Re: Re: Re: Re: Component video

Originally posted by porovaara
SVideo is limited to 480 interlaced lines.

I think you are referring to SVHS, S-Video uses 576 scanlines.

porovaara

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2002
sf
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Component video

Originally posted by rjgjonker
Nope, I meant 480 as in 480i mode.

iChan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2003
Dublin, Ireland.
Re: Re: Component video

Originally posted by edgar_is_good
don't know anything 'cept that my powerbook came with a 3inch s-video to component adapter. Don't think it's a big deal.

you might be thinking of composite, not component.

jliechty

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2003
Seattle
Re: Re: Re: Component video

Last I checked, Component Video was not higher resolution than S-Video. I may be mistaken, but I believe that both the luminosity and chrominance signals have the same horizontal and vertical frequency in the two formats.

The primary difference between SVideo and Component is wire cross-talk during transmission, and a (slight) cramping of the signal in SVideo (which is lost irreversibly, but IMHO is all but undetectable to my eyes). Contrast this to Composite (RCA jacks) vs SVideo, or RF (cable jack-style) vs Composite, in both cases of which the cramping is significant and noticeable.

Using a near-source SV-to-Component break out gets 90% of the Component benefit with SV flexibility for the 80%+ of users who don't have component video inputs (while, granted, doing nothing for the 40-50% who have nothing but RF jacks ...)

HDTV is a completely different story, of course, but for that you wouldn't be using component either ...

I so love it when people who have no idea what they're talking about start rambling on and on. What do you mean there's no difference in resolution???? Are you on drugs man??? The max that S-Video can pass is 480 interlaced scanlines compared w/ component inputs that can run 1080 interlaced scan lines.......480----1080...yeah obviuosly no difference there. The can also run progressive scan something S-Video cannot offer. Component cables pass a 720 line progressive scan as well. And thats just looking at numbers...obviously you don't own anything w/ component capabilties or you'd see for yourself. As for your comment that "HDTV is a different story of course but for that you wouldn't be using component either..." How ignorant are you seriously???? Component input is used by at least 90% of HDTV viewers. Its what we all use. DVI is here for some and around the corner for the rest of us......but I watch HDTV everyday via component input...and so does most everyone else on the planet...so next time you might want to leave the comments to people that own the technology....and remember that doing research on the internet doesn't mean you understand a thing!!!!

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Component video

Originally posted by rjgjonker

480 in US/Canada/Japan, 576 everywhere else :)

inocen1

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2003
First off, jettredmont, I have to agree with jliechty, your ignorant rambling was like the sound of nails scrapping down a chalkboard but in literary form. How could you use big words like luminosity and chrominance, but be so completely off at the same time. Impressive.

Secondly, just my two cents after reading about all of this, it's complete fiction. It'd be nice to see, but it's just not in Apples cards right now.

Lastly, many have talked about the superdrive capability on this fictional device and how this one up's Tivo. Mostly as a clarification, Tivo does now have one model by pioneer that can actually record and playback shows and movies on the built in DVD drive. Too bad it costs so damn much or I'd buy one in a second. Add ACC to the home media option and that Tivo package with DVD writing is a hard one to beat. Tivo and Apple really do go very well together. Both have a loyal fan following and flawless usability. Man, a partnership between the two... one can dream.

Winston Smith

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2003
Oceania
Assuming this is on the cards I hope Apple isn't intending to work closely with Tivo etc.
As posted above an Apple product has a chance of being released outside the US.

Tivo has effectively pulled out of the UK and there just isn't any useful alternative except in the US.

Apple has a recent history of ignoring international customers, so I hope the wireless part of the 'iBox' is not just for Media streaming but also to make use of Websites offering programming schedules.
This will give the product universal appeal as a PVR without needing to directly link the product to 3rd party suppliers (like Kodak with iPhoto printing)

snahabed

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2002
New York, NY
This rumor is retarded, no offense :)

Not only has Steve publicly derided the set-top box market... not only has Steve already formed strategic alliances with market leader TiVo... but the idea of such a box being run via a remote and not a keyboard is laughable. T9 anyone?

And iTMS will be included? Oh great! Now is that going to be an authorized computer? No wait. Huh? Exactly.

I fail to understand why you people cannot do pretty much all of this with any Superdrive Mac, Eye TV, and Toast.

We will sooner see iPhone than iBox.

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
I read somewhere that this year the DirectTV-Tivo DVR with HD will be coming out. (may be out already)

It is supposed to have 2 HD, terestrial tuners, 2 DSS (HD capable) tuners, component out (maybe even DVI) and a HUGE hard drive (200GB+?) (Maybe they will make one of these with a DVD-RW drive like the Pioneer one, PLEAAAASSEE!) IMO, Apple should hitch it's wagon to that instead of trying to compete with it.

They at least need to kick DirecTV or Tivo in the pants to get HMO available for those of us with DirecTIVO Series 2 boxes like myself! (And while they're at it, ad AAC audio!)

:D

Vector

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2002
I just bought one of the prototype/pre-production set top boxes from 1995. I got it for really cheap on ebay, but unfortunately i won't be able to play around with it until i go back home in two months. I will post what i find out about it and some pictures in a couple of months.

RichardCarletta

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2003
Utica, NY
not really sure I buy the ibox idea

It might be neat if Apple produced a wireless device that worked with tivo to present photos on tv , play music , and transfer recorded shows to idvd but Steve Jobs thinks tv is the idiot box . Kind of a harsh assessment considering he owns Pixar. How are movies really any different from tv ? Tivo has such a huge part of the US market so trying to market a competing product would be much harder. Making a complimentary product makes more sense. One downside to this though would be your mac would be busy working with this device . What if one of your kids wanted to use the mac to go online or do schoolwork ? You would need a second mac then, which would only increase mac sales . Brillent ! ;)

fluidfilm

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2004
NYC
Originally posted by COS
TIVO functionality is something that can be done by the cable companies. With that done, there's no need to have a Tivo OR VCR. The only things thats left is movies on demand (from the cable company) or a DVD player in the TV itself.
I have a DVR from Time Warner in NYC that is essentially a TiVo, except it's just part of the built in Cable Box with on-screen menu. I never watch live TV or commercials and I never miss a show. Simplest thing in the world. Look at the schedule and click. Very intuitive. 2 Hard drives invisibly hold 40 hours of immaculate-quality video, can handle 3 streams of video,and I don't need to plug it into a phone line.
http://www.twalbany.com/digitalentertainment/dvr.php
I agree that this kind of functionality is best served from the media provider, not a separate box or even a TV. I get a new (free) cable box every 2 years (plus they do firmware upgrades remotely) but I keep TVs for a decade, so I think the tech couldn't keep up if it's built into an expensive screen.

Still, if Apple makes something, I'd probably buy whatever it is.

idkew

macrumors 68020
Hummm... care of The Mac Observer:

1998:
Rumors of a secret set-top device at Apple first surface. News.com reports that the device is code named "Columbus," and that it will be a consumer set-top device. Reuters quickly publishes its own story saying the device would be announced at NAB. CNBC then reports that Columbus will be an education-oriented device that has a built-in 9" display. Columbus ended up being the original iMac, a new Mac with a built-in 15" display.

great to see 6 year old rumors are still hard at work!

SimDesign

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2004
Bolton
I recently talked to someone who works at a large TV broadcast company in London and they said they had ben talking with Apple about some future developments that were in the pipeline.
They wouldn't say much more on it though. So Apple could have something TV based up their sleeves.

chriscorcoran

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2004
A set top Box from Apple would be nice. I can see it with AirPort, maybe Bluetooth, ethernet and maybe a built in DVD Player on a low end models and a DVD Burner on the Higher end models.

kjwebb

macrumors regular
May 19, 2003
Australia
It would be nice if Apple releases a box that includes:
-Digital TV Reciever (if possible, combine ATSC and DVB-T (<DVB-T used more and is better than ATSC).
-Media Player (iTunes, Quicktime)
-Safari TV (A name I thought of for a TV version of Safari)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.