Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Then set settings.app / photos to optimize for phone storage. full size stays in cloud, and it compresses local storage.

Then it fetches the fullsize if you want to edit or do other things with it, like accessing from apps. When you do this, you'll let a little progress pie chart showing it downloading the full res back from cloud.

----------

Then you don't like the Apple system, it's not for you. Choose another. There are MANY.

Disable iCloud Library. Try Facebook, it allows you to individually upload photos into their cloud library, selectively, manually. They'll be happy to hold them for you. Google+ does as well.
One question: where is the option to optimize for phone storage? I can't find it :confused:

----------

I don't have this option in my photos settings. Iphone 5C, ios 8

Refer: Optimising

Me too. Iphone 5S and iPad air

andyp350

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2011
One question: where is the option to optimize for phone storage? I can't find it :confused:

----------

Me too. Iphone 5S and iPad air
It's not available to most people yet unfortunately. Hopefully the service will be released in the coming months.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
I'll admit that wording is confusing/misleading. But I really find it hard to believe anyone familiar with the way the Apple ecosystem works would have believed even for a second that you would be able to plonk your music files in iCloud drive and listen to them in your Music app, completely bypassing the need for iTunes or iTunes match, will never happen. If this is important to people you should be on Android not iOS.

so i could not throw mp3 or avi files in the drive and have an updated vlc app for example open them? thats just retarted and i dont use this word lightly

andyp350

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2011
so i could not throw mp3 or avi files in the drive and have an updated vlc app for example open them? thats just retarted and i dont use this word lightly

I expect that may be possible if Apple decide to allow it. People are talking about having iCloud Drive music and video files accessible from within the native Music and Videos app. This will never happen, certainly not within any foreseeable future.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
I can't see what the problem is here

Photos app contains all the photos you take from all the devices in one convenient sub section of the photos app, ironically called photos. Neatly split into collections by date and place.

You have your shared albums available too as a separate sub section.

As usual all photos sync and download to your mac photo app of choice when you turn it on and open the app.

I don't understand the logic behind deleting photos but wanting to keep them somewhere else, like the cloud? I've read people want to free up space? Aren't you guys managing your photos. Endless streams of photos gets a bit boring. People should be moving their fav pics into albums and you can share these. get them into your computers photo app, sort and rate them and you will have them in albums allowing you to clean up your photos if you need to delete some.

There is no longer a part duplicated set of photos called photo stream. This seems logical to me. I don't have to worry what size photo I'm seeing, the original always downloads to the mac.

And to address the 3rd party import issue, I'm also a enthusiastic photographer and often I import large files from a d610 or fairly big files from a x100s, in both cases I don't want these in the cloud. I specifically turn off upload to photostream on import. I don't need to see massive quantities of burst shots and rubbish shots.

As with anything my photos for iOS are neatly organised into the photos section from all devices, my 3rd party stuff organised into folders in my Mac photos app and I pick my favs and publish to a shared album which allows me to group and have that album available on all devices. I can also share that with others if I wish and they can now collaborate and add their own photos too, ios and device dependant.

iCloud drive I agree on, it is slightly confusing. There should definitely be an app showing what you have stored there, just like google drive and drop box. I think this is a natural evolution. I still don't understand why photos aren't available via a web browser but that's a feature request

Last edited:

amro

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2008
I can't see what the problem is here

Photos app contains all the photos you take from all the devices in one convenient sub section of the photos app, ironically called photos. Neatly split into collections by date and place.

You have your shared albums available too as a separate sub section.

As usual all photos sync and download to your mac photo app of choice when you turn it on and open the app.

I don't understand the logic behind deleting photos but wanting to keep them somewhere else, like the cloud? I've read people want to free up space? Aren't you guys managing your photos. Endless streams of photos gets a bit boring. People should be moving their fav pics into albums and you can share these. get them into your computers photo app, sort and rate them and you will have them in albums allowing you to clean up your photos if you need to delete some.

There is no longer a part duplicated set of photos called photo stream. This seems logical to me. I don't have to worry what size photo I'm seeing, the original always downloads to the mac.

And to address the 3rd party import issue, I'm also a enthusiastic photographer and often I import large files from a d610 or fairly big files from a x100s, in both cases I don't want these in the cloud. I specifically turn off upload to photostream on import. I don't need to see massive quantities of burst shots and rubbish shots.

As with anything my photos for iOS are neatly organised into the photos section from all devices, my 3rd party stuff organised into folders in my Mac photos app and I pick my favs and publish to a shared album which allows me to group and have that album available on all devices. I can also share that with others if I wish and they can now collaborate and add their own photos too, ios and device dependant.

iCloud drive I agree on, it is slightly confusing. There should definitely be an app showing what you have stored there, just like google drive and drop box. I think this is a natural evolution. I still don't understand why photos aren't available via a web browser but that's a feature request

Well said. I am one of those who really never kept my photos organized. I switched from iOS to Android and now will be switching back to iOS. This has really forced me to organize my photos, and that's the key. You have to stay on top of it. None of these OS's will natively keep your photos organized. You have to put some work into it. The side benefit of spending some time organizing your photos is that it's a fun walk down memory lane.

You've got to do some research and figure out your plan because there are so many ways of taking pictures and so many ways of organizing and backing up. Taking the picture is just the first step.

I have an EyeFi card for my "travel" camera so that the pictures I take with my near DSLR camera get saved to the phone and geo-tagged. Between what Apple did to iCloud drive and Dropbox, I think I've got an easier job getting to my photos on my PC. I'll then organize and tag them and then put those on a cloud service to be able to share with friends and family.

necropunk

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2006
London
I expect that may be possible if Apple decide to allow it. People are talking about having iCloud Drive music and video files accessible from within the native Music and Videos app. This will never happen, certainly not within any foreseeable future.

It will be possible for apps to stream mp3 & video from iCloud Drive, just like PDF readers and such can already edit PDFs from Any cloud service (iCloud Drive included) without having to make copies of files.

FranzMarc

macrumors member
May 11, 2010
Just read the 6 pages and am wondering about something probably rather simple but which I find confusing.

In the settings of my iPhone I enabled iCloud Drive and further enabled it for Pages. Now if I go into the settings again and on the left where you have all your apps, click on Pages and it says "Use iCloud", which is off.

I'm just trying to understand why Pages is using iCloud Drive, aka storing its documents in the drive, but why is there another switch to "Use iCloud"? And especially why is it off?

jrigler

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2016
My frustration are some that I have will many of the GUIs and cloud solutions.

1. Things operate differently on different devices.
2. I can't see everything easily with a standard command. I am a unix guy, and really just want a full directory listing, a command to add, remove, change names, and delete. When you provide a GUI and don't have a one-to-one correlation with a command, then you have created an inferior product to use and an awesome product to sell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.