Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appleii.c

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2013
wow, what a solution!

"I did.
They are ALL in the cloud. read above. or at apple.com. Somewhere, just read. "

Please tell me you're joking. Did you read this part:

"In settings, photos and camera, if you set to download and keep originals, all photos are local."

UsKidsKnow

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2014
iCloud Drive not Appearing in Yosemite

I upgraded to iCloud Drive yesterday on both my MacBook (running the Yosemite beta) and my iPhone (iOS 8). However, I can't seem to find iCloud Drive in Finder on my Macbook. Is this a bug? Is there some way I can locate it?

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i am completely lost with the whole cloud solution on iOS 8 too and there is no longer any transparency. i have NO IDEA WHAT IS GOING ON. now people tell me to use that stupid sheet to get access to the files on the cloud but not a single damn app of mine has been updated NOT EVEN PAGES OR KEYNOTE FROM APPLE ITSELF. then they disable features for some but not for everyone and people wonder why certain things dont work as shown. Even Family sharing seems utterly complicated

beep redic

iMessage, Calendar, Mail, Keychain, Contacts, iTunes Match etc it all makes sense to me but this new crap? no idea and i am a computer science major using both iOS since day 1 and android thats supposedly "oh so complicated".

just opening the stupid photo app now raises my blood pressure and makes me SCREAM

Last edited:

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
and what if i want to get rid of the local copy but keep it on the cloud??? makes no sense at all that it deletes it from both places. thats why i use clouds in the first place ... so i can get rid of the local file and access it from the web whenever i need it

I just deleted a photo that I had in the Dropbox app on my phone. Guess what? It got deleted on Dropbox's cloud too.

I tried the same thing on One Drive, Google Drive and Box. I even did this on their desktop apps to be sure.

You know what? Once I deleted it locally, it deleted from the cloud as well.

Seems to be the standard operating procedure for cloud services. :rolleyes:

tongefactor40

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Does anyone know what the compression is for iCloud photos? I definitely noticed an increase in available space once I checked the "optimize phone storage," but it wasn't as much as I was hoping. There isn't any way to change it is there?

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Does anyone know what the compression is for iCloud photos? I definitely noticed an increase in available space once I checked the "optimize phone storage," but it wasn't as much as I was hoping. There isn't any way to change it is there?

It's just resized to your screen's resolution. So instead of keeping the 8MP photo, you get a <2MP photo.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
I just deleted a photo that I had in the Dropbox app on my phone. Guess what? It got deleted on Dropbox's cloud too.

I tried the same thing on One Drive, Google Drive and Box. I even did this on their desktop apps to be sure.

well not really, it stays put at the source you uploaded it from. i used to pick a picture from the CAMERA ROLL and auto upload it to the dropbox or photostream for example. so even if i deleted it from dropbox or the photostream i would still have the local copy in the CAMERA ROLL but now when i upload something to the magical cloud that even cameron diaz and jason segel dont understand and delete it it gets deleted from the non exciting "camera roll" AND cloud photos or whatever that particularly feature is even called nowadays

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I just want to know why Apple pulled iCloud Photo Library and if and when it's coming back.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
I just want to know if it will still be possible to offload photos into my Mac. I don't really want them taking up the 16gb on my phone or the 5gb of iCloud storage I have. That said, I won't be enabling iCloud Drive until Yosemite is officially released.

Belmont31R

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2012
I just want to know if it will still be possible to offload photos into my Mac. I don't really want them taking up the 16gb on my phone or the 5gb of iCloud storage I have. That said, I won't be enabling iCloud Drive until Yosemite is officially released.

You can do that iPhoto then delete them off your phone.

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon
Basically I'm agreeing with the OP statement "iCloud has become the most confusing service ever" and added to it my opinion that it was never NOT confusing.

Not to mention .me, .mac, separate iTunes and iCloud accounts, the inability to merge accounts.

Just jump over to one of the Family Sharing threads to see another world of pain.

They need to sort out iCloud once and for all.

It should never be necessary to say "go and read this documentation on how the feature works" -- especially when the documentation refers to non-universally available services!

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
This guy just published an article today, and now I'ms starting to wonder why I don't have it and others, like the some people posting here, do.

http://www.cultofmac.com/295511/switch-ios-8s-icloud-photo-library-right-now/

The raw hubris and absurdity of expecting customers to store their entire photo libraries on Apple's servers is practically unbelievable. Set aside for the moment the fact that many people like me have photo libraries far in excess of 500gig which would cost ungodly amounts of money to host. The bigger issue is privacy and copyright. "Here, giant faceless company! Have the entire product of my creativity and livelihood! I'm sure you won't lose it, misuse it or allow it to be stolen!"

Incredible.

----------

Not to mention .me, .mac, separate iTunes and iCloud accounts, the inability to merge accounts.

Dude. iCloud has sucked since it was eWorld!

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon
The raw hubris and absurdity of expecting customers to store their entire photo libraries on Apple's servers is practically unbelievable. Set aside for the moment the fact that many people like me have photo libraries far in excess of 500gig which would cost ungodly amounts of money to host. The bigger issue is privacy and copyright. "Here, giant faceless company! Have the entire product of my creativity and livelihood! I'm sure you won't lose it, misuse it or allow it to be stolen!"

Incredible.

----------

Dude. iCloud has sucked since it was eWorld!

WRONG. eWorld was awesome. It's been a downhill slide since.

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
Now. Everything in the Photos tab, is in the Cloud. boom. done. THAT easy. And you get the bonus choice of instead of having full photos in both places, you can let iOS selectively optimize it for you.

because.. it's that easy.

Is there a place where I can view these pics in the cloud? On iCloud.com, I can see everything, except photos. in iPhoto, it only downloads recent photos. So it still isnt clear where this cloud is.

Also, some of what is in Photos App > Photos are just Albums I've synched via iTunes from pictures on my Mac. So now those are also copied onto the cloud because, as you say, there in that Photos tab?

SanjeevRana

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
As far as I can tell, it was enabled pre-release and for dev accounts to go beta with the iCloud Photo Library.

Once they released the public version, they switched the flag off (as simple and non-technical I can be)

So non-devs as it is cannot enable it and devs with public release also are not getting the option (I think, not sure).

However, you had the option available before are able to still manipulate it.

Hence, the server side infrastructure is still very much present otherwise the ones who have it enabled (like me) won't be seing the magic of sync across devices (even edits, etc).

I think they would enable this for all with Yosemite and Windows client releases

dancingqueen83

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2012
does anyone know where the "back up now" button was moved to? I would like to back up after my phone arrives in the morning but it no longer shows anywhere within the icloud area for me.

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
YAY! I can use iCloud Drive to sync iTunes data across all my devices!

.. er wait.. no i can't

YAY! I can store my iOS backups in iCloud Drive!!

.. err this breaks syncing with iTunes as I learned today with my new iPhone.

YAY! iCloud drive is the DropBox killer

.. err no, no it isn't. not even a little

YAY! iCloud drive is a reliable place for storage

.. err.. no its not.. not at all

Besides Documents.. someone tell me WTH is the point of iCloud Drive?

marcel500

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2006
This is the worst cloud service ever... How can I access my files which are stored in iCloud drive on my iPhone. I can see it on yosemite but not on the phone... Worst!!!

----------

YAY! I can use iCloud Drive to sync iTunes data across all my devices!

.. er wait.. no i can't

YAY! I can store my iOS backups in iCloud Drive!!

.. err this breaks syncing with iTunes as I learned today with my new iPhone.

YAY! iCloud drive is the DropBox killer

.. err no, no it isn't. not even a little

YAY! iCloud drive is a reliable place for storage

.. err.. no its not.. not at all

Besides Documents.. someone tell me WTH is the point of iCloud Drive?

YEA exactly, what is the point of introducing such a nonsense service.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008

That's not true. Dropbox does not store anything locally on your iPhone, so you can't delete a photo "in" your Dropbox app because the photo never was "in" your Dropbox app.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
iCloud Photo Library Was Pulled At The Last Minute.

How many times does this need to be repeated before people stop making threads. Sticky this for crying out loud.

With iCloud Photo Library, you (would have had) the option to Optimize storage space on the device if you wish, instead of storing full quality photos locally.

But no, what you would NOT have, is the ability to delete a photo locally and keep it stored in the cloud. Not as part of the master library, anyway. Using shared albums, you could do this.

Furthermore, iCloud Photo Library, the way it is intended to work, is the exact opposite of "Let me delete this one photo off my phone, but it stays in the library in the cloud." I'm sorry if you feel like that is a good way of managing a Photo library, but I agree with Apple that it is unnecessary....and the breadth of their new solution (the one they PULLED for someone unknown reason) is how it should be.

----------
I assume iCloud Photo Library will be available in an update next month, so I'll start from there.

The thing I don't understand is this: how can you remove a photo from your iPhone while keeping it in the cloud?

Suppose my iPhone gets full. You say I have to turn on 'Optimize storage space'. It will make photos about 10% of the original size. To me, this is not a good option. If I want to view a photo in detail I took a week ago and my internet connection is bad, I simply wouldn't be able too. Far from ideal. Second, I've been using my iPhone for years and probably will for years to come. Even the compressed photos will eventually fill up my iPhone, what do I do then?

In my opinion, Apple should do this:
- Keep the most recent photos stored locally, for example photos of the last 30 days. These photos are fixed on your iPhone no matter what.

- Photos older than 30 days will be stored on your iPhone as well. However, if your iPhone gets full, iOS will automatically remove them and replace them with a compressed image. To view a photo in detail, it will stream from iCloud.

- If your iPhone gets full with compressed images, these will get removed as well. Now, even the thumbnails will have to stream (similar to how Dropbox or Carousel works currently).

- Give users the option to set the thresold for 'recent'. It could be 5 days or a year, but I think 30 by default would be good.

- If for some reason users want to keep photos fixed on their iPhone forever, they can mark it as a favourite (already an option in iOS 8). These photos are stored locally forever. By unmarking it as favourite, you are removing it from your device. The same could be done for albums as a whole. In my opinion this is very intuitive.

- And last but not least, seperate photos taken with your camera from screenshots and saved images. This has nothing to do with iCloud though.

The explenation above would work very well I think. For those who care, they can control easily what's stored locally and what's not. For those who don't care, iOS will take care of everything to keep it intuitive.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.