Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ahhboi

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2012
Wah..... This photo stream thinggy is confusing..... and I thought iOS is suppose to be user friendly...... :(

So right now, there's no solution yet?
Because I'm also with the TS, I want to be able to manage what's on my phone and what's in the cloud.....

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
How the hell do I get this screen on my iPhone???

Also Ive updated to the latest pages on iOS 8 and I can't access my iCloud drive files...Whats the go???

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-20 at 6.11.56 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-20 at 6.11.56 pm.png
    61.8 KB · Views: 237

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
Also, the split-up between 'Recently added' and 'Moments' instead of a single Camera Roll is utterly stupid.

If I want to share a photo in Whatsapp, I can only access photos from the last month or so.

I wonder if the iCloud/iOS team even uses an iPhone personally? I can't believe you would design it this way if you do...

christurbo

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2009
Staffordshire, UK
My issue.

I accept that any photo I take is stored both on the device and in the cloud - if deleted locally I lose both.

The issue is that as a budding photographer I just imported 1000 photos into iPhoto on my Mac and iCloud is now transferring them all to my iPhone 6 plus!

Now the problem is that I don't want these particular photos on my iPhone or my iPad just in iPhoto on my Mac.

I assume deleting them on my iPhone or iPad won't delete them from my Mac? (Also deleting a 1000 photos is time consuming).
Im going to need to rethink my workflow as a photographer.

Apple blogger

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2013
You still haven't told us how we differentiate those that are on the cloud and those which are not.

My friebd iCloud library hasn't been released ul yet to public.. They shifted it back to beta.. When they release it, it'll be much more clear ..

And for your other questions up.. I read the answers and they didn't answer well so here it is..

With iCloud drive, iCloud documents store in the cloud.. Previously it was Documents in the cloud, meaning only that same app could access it's own documents and not others.. With iCloud Drive all apps in all devices can access it.. So suppose you have an app say ms office PowerPoint, and if the presentations are stored in your drive, and you have a keynote app in your iphone, and since keynote(I think opens ppt) it will be able to open the presentation of ms office.. Before iCloud Drive, only ms office could access it's own presentations and keynote could access only it's own keynotes, but now it's open to all.. Now you don't need to make folders on an iPhone(cause it would be a little tricky) so the option is available only on a PC.. So now ALL YOUR FILES can be accessed by ALL YOUR APPS.. And on ios there isn't another app for iCloud Drive, because all the documents which u make on apps will be automatically uploaded to the iCloud Drive if the app has comaoribility with it..

iCloud Photo Library- it's the similar to iCloud Drive .. On iOS when it'll be released in a few months, all your photos on your iOS device will be able to be shifted to the cloud of u want..The same thing on a Mac and PC..
Now u may have certain albums u sync your iPhone from ur PC .. Well that'll no longer be allowed.. Reason, you can drag and drop all the photos on your Mac and PC into the iCloud library and get it on your devices, so u no longer need to sync your iPhone with itubes to get photos stored on your computer, that work has been shifted to iCloud library..

So see? It's not that difficult to understand.. If u have any other questions, happy to help #

Last edited:

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany

Also Ive updated to the latest pages on iOS 8 and I can't access my iCloud drive files...Whats the go???

this is exactly why Apples way of doing the cloud is completely backwards and redic. you are supposed to know which app has been updated to view a file when they cant even get their own apps ready to support it on time!

no wonder everyones confused. its a MESS

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
I got to page three and got a headache. I also came here with a headache :D

by page three I came to this conclusion.

1- Dont use albums view anymore unless you create the album yourself and place photos in there.

2 - use Photos as thats where all your photos are.

3 - recently added is just that. Anything added from taking a photo on your iPhone, iPad or screen shot from mac (and then added to photo stream)

all the above assumes you did not activate iCloud drive on your iPhone when you upgraded to ios8

if anyone wants to shout at me forget it. Im not interested as apple has given me enough of a headache at the moment. iOS 8 change things damn fuddling my brain haha :)

notrack

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012

No idea. Tried it with Numbers which is supposed to becompatible with iCloud Drive... nothing to be seen.

buddybd

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2011
I have no idea what went wrong on my end, but my backup seems to be missing. I upgraded from 5S to the 6 but none of my older stuff is restoring. The 5S was restored to iOS8 GM and I only have backups of stuff from that day onwards (about 2 weeks).

Martin29

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2010
Quimper, France
With iCloud drive, iCloud documents store in the cloud.. Previously it was Documents in the cloud, meaning only that same app could access it's own documents and not others.. With iCloud Drive all apps in all devices can access it.. So suppose you have an app say ms office PowerPoint, and if the presentations are stored in your drive, and you have a keynote app in your iphone, and since keynote(I think opens ppt) it will be able to open the presentation of ms office.. Before iCloud Drive, only ms office could access it's own presentations and keynote could access only it's own keynotes, but now it's open to all.. Now you don't need to make folders on an iPhone(cause it would be a little tricky) so the option is available only on a PC.. So now ALL YOUR FILES can be accessed by ALL YOUR APPS.. And on ios there isn't another app for iCloud Drive, because all the documents which u make on apps will be automatically uploaded to the iCloud Drive if the app has comaoribility with it..

I have several thousand .jpg files (images of historical documents) which I have carefully placed into folders on my iCloud Drive. I'm using Yosemite and can see these files exactly as expected on any Yosemite Mac. I can't see them anywhere on my IOS devices running IOS8! given they are .jpg files I would expect to see them with the photos app? If I go to the iCloud.com web page I get diverted to Apple.com and told to set up iCloud Drive on my device. This has already been done and I have family share working to prove it.

Given that we can create folders on the iCloud Drive, then there has to be a way to navigate those folders in order to find app specific files.. This is what File Picker was supposed to do! Where is it? And if we can access files, why can't we attach them to mails in IOS?

I feel we've been badly let down and misled. I bought additional iCloud storage for this functionality and it simply does not exist! What's more, not the slightest response from Apple to explain why.

necropunk

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2006
London

The only time I've seen such screen on the wild is on the Cloud Magic (true story), an app that can add attachments to your emails, pulling them from iCloud Drive (and Dropbox, etc).

It seems to work albeit I don't get to see the covers of my pdf files, only the title.

App Store link: CloudMagic by CloudMagic, Inc.
https://appsto.re/gb/Q6-aR.i

Last edited:

HelloMikee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
San Diego
The raw hubris and absurdity of expecting customers to store their entire photo libraries on Apple's servers is practically unbelievable. Set aside for the moment the fact that many people like me have photo libraries far in excess of 500gig which would cost ungodly amounts of money to host. The bigger issue is privacy and copyright. "Here, giant faceless company! Have the entire product of my creativity and livelihood! I'm sure you won't lose it, misuse it or allow it to be stolen!"

Incredible.

----------

Dude. iCloud has sucked since it was eWorld!

I don't think icloud photo is meant to replace external hard drives that store years worth of digital photography. As a photographer I have terabytes worth of digital negatives stored in hard drives, neatly tucked away and archived.

What I will use icloud photo for is with my iphone snap shots. Even though I also back up my iphone shots yearly with image capture (and then delete off the phone to create more space for more photos), it will be nice to have a cloud back up of those photos which for me will be the most recent collection (or year in my case) that is also on my phone and accessible across devices like my ipad.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
You need an app that uses the new CloudKit API. There's only a handful right now. One example is the latest version of the Dropbox app. To see the screen you posted: Tap "..." in the top right corner, then "Add Files" and "iCloud". You can now select files from your iCloud folders to import to Dropbox.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
You need an app that uses the new CloudKit API. There's only a handful right now. One example is the latest version of the Dropbox app. To see the screen you posted: Tap "..." in the top right corner, then "Add Files" and "iCloud". You can now select files from your iCloud folders to import to Dropbox.

see thats so stupid to me, you have to "investigate" and guess what apps may have been updated to support it and then hope the app can even handle said file instead of giving me some kind of "file manager" where i can tap on the file and it tells me available apps i can pick to open the file (maybe even give suggestions of apps from the appstore that can open it if i got none installed that do). its so backwards

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
see thats so stupid to me, you have to "investigate" and guess what apps may have been updated to support it and then hope the app can even handle said file instead of giving me some kind of "file manager" where i can tap on the file and it tells me available apps i can pick to open the file (maybe even give suggestions of apps from the appstore that can open it if i got none installed that do). its so backwards
I see what you're saying, but iOS will likely never work like that. One major reason is that all apps and their files remain sandboxed (i.e. isolated from each other) for security reasons, so there is still no shared file system for apps. With the new iOS 8 document managament features (such as the provider extensions) Apple implemented ways to share files across apps in a carefully controlled way without giving up the security benefits of sandboxing.

In my opinion, these features are among the most powerful enhancements in iOS 8. But it will take some time for both app developers and users to become familiar with the possibilities. It will change the way we work with documents in iOS.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
I see what you're saying, but iOS will likely never work like that. One major reason is that all apps and their files remain sandboxed (i.e. isolated from each other) for security reasons, so there is still no shared file system for apps. With the new iOS 8 document managament features (such as the provider extensions) Apple implemented ways to share files across apps in a carefully controlled way without giving up the security benefits of sandboxing.

In my opinion, these features are among the most powerful enhancements in iOS 8. But it will take some time for both app developers and users to become familiar with the possibilities. It will change the way we work with documents in iOS.

well they could make an dropbox like app that only shows your stuff thats in ur drive, isnt it like it is done now just the other way around. i dont mean to gain access to root folders or what not

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
It. Was. Pulled. From. Public. Release.

So iCloud isn't confusing, it's just that the iOS 8 release was a disaster?

It was pulled because Apple failed miserably to get the infrastructure in place to store everyone's photos & videos. That, or some other unrelated bugs. Who knows. Release of the new Photos app is a botch without it.

That's not true. With the way that you can spin up instances of AWS and Azure (the services that Apple uses to host iCloud), if you need more space you just push a button. Need another server? Just push a button. The only way that this isn't feasible is if Apple maxed out Amazon, Microsoft, and their own data centers.

notrack

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012

iWork apps have been updated "for iOS 8" and with "iCloud drive compatibility". I expexted to see that feature but it doesn't seem to make use of it...

andyp350

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2011
Its pretty obvious iCloud Drive and iCloud Photo Library aren't fully implemented yet so just wait before losing your heads.
Also reading the comments on here in surprised at people asking why they can't access their music and video files stored in iCloud drive on iOS, did people seriously think this was going to be possible on your phone?

Martin29

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2010
Quimper, France
Also reading the comments on here in surprised at people asking why they can't access their music and video files stored in iCloud drive on iOS, did people seriously think this was going to be possible on your phone?

Yes!

Apple have made much of the following..

So now ALL YOUR FILES can be accessed by ALL YOUR APPS..

If there is a short term problem then I would have expected Apple to tell us, it's customers.. On the other hand we have heard predictions on here since the first iterations of IOS that we'll 'soon' be able to access files and attach them to mails etc.. I for one am beginning to wonder why the promises made at the developer conference are not included and even whether they will be.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Wow. People are making this harder than it needs to be.

If you have "My Photostream" turned on, you're photos are in the cloud AND local. If you delete a photo, it is removed from the cloud AND local. You don't need some icon to tell you if it's in the cloud or not. If you turned on the switch, it's obviously in the cloud.

If you DON'T have photostream turned on, it's local and only local.

It's not hard people. There is no Camera Roll Gate.

it's not hard, but I think their point is they want some contents stored local and some on the cloud, and that's not possible right now

andyp350

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2011
Yes!

Apple have made much of the following..

If there is a short term problem then I would have expected Apple to tell us, it's customers.. On the other hand we have heard predictions on here since the first iterations of IOS that we'll 'soon' be able to access files and attach them to mails etc.. I for one am beginning to wonder why the promises made at the developer conference are not included and even whether they will be.

I'll admit that wording is confusing/misleading. But I really find it hard to believe anyone familiar with the way the Apple ecosystem works would have believed even for a second that you would be able to plonk your music files in iCloud drive and listen to them in your Music app, completely bypassing the need for iTunes or iTunes match, will never happen. If this is important to people you should be on Android not iOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.