Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
That's weird :(

I don't know. Maybe I got it because I have the Yosemite public beta and activated it there? and it propagated to the phone??

Like HealthKit and ApplePay delayed, some of this may also be.

Yeah, not showing for me either. I have iOS 8 on both my devices and Yosemite PB 3 on my iMac.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
relax buddy! you say it's pulled...10 other people say "DUH it's in your photo settings in iCloud you idiots making these pointless threads!"

I was never confused with iCloud before at all....but wth happened that some people get iCloud Photo library and some don't?

From a demo stand point...apple makes it appear that there is an iCloud Drive App and that it's not integrated in each app.

How do you slash prices on storage and make all that active if you're not 100% up and running?
Yea, I don't understand this part. This was the crutch of why it was easy for me to understand how it can be organized now.

----------

Yea this was on the homepage.

So Apple apparently partially converted iOS8 people to the new system, but not the whole new system. So everyone but a few are stuck in limbo.

Though iCloud Photo Library was available during the iOS 8 beta testing period, Apple appears to have demoted it to beta status and removed it from the iOS 8 golden master, the software that will be distributed to the public next week.

Apple has also stripped mentions of iCloud Photo Library from its iCloud preview page, where it used to be prominently featured at the top of the site.
https://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/12/apple-demotes-icloud-photo-library-beta/

I agree, that's f'd up

Jstuts5797

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2013
was it on the macrumors front page??

----------

you are missing the point. all the know it all's have this magic iCloud Photo library on their devices and are understanding how it works. Those that don't have that option, simply aren't able to understand bc it's not an OPTION lol. why is this such a difficult concept to grasp instead of people just being jerks?

No no I get what your saying and those people that keep saying that they have the option aren't understanding that it's not there for everyone. My point was to kind of defuse both sides and also state my opinion that one thing Apple has never gotten right is photo organization and iCloud integration. So yea I get your point and I feel your frustration.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
When 3 of the big features get pulled back on release and the features that do come out confuse your users, it's pretty much safe to say this release was a fiasco. (I'm not even bringing up production issues with the 6+)

Apple got caught with their pants down. Both iOS and the 6+ are being released at least a month prematurely.

Jstuts5797

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2013
Basically I'm agreeing with the OP statement "iCloud has become the most confusing service ever" and added to it my opinion that it was never NOT confusing.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Yea, I don't understand this part. This was the crutch of why it was easy for me to understand how it can be organized now.

----------

Yea this was on the homepage.

So Apple apparently partially converted iOS8 people to the new system, but not the whole new system. So everyone but a few are stuck in limbo.

https://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/12/apple-demotes-icloud-photo-library-beta/

I agree, that's f'd up

the title isn't very good on that article...you have to read down through the article to notice it's been pulled.

----------

Basically I'm agreeing with the OP statement "iCloud has become the most confusing service ever" and added to it my opinion that it was never NOT confusing.

but if you read through things you can pretty much figure it out. Just go take a look at iCloud drive page and it's super confusing. I have never once been confused on anything apple and i was stumped when all these people were like duh you idiots enable the iCloud Photo library feature!! haha

Why do they think people are going to sign up with their new data pricing packages if it doesn't work with photos?

What normal consumer has 1TB of word docs??

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
iCloud Photo Library Was Pulled At The Last Minute.

I think it was pulled at the last minute precisely BECAUSE it was confusing people and they needed to rethink it.

I wouldn't be surprised if 8.0.1 brings back the Camera Roll as it was in iOS 7. Obviously Apple saw the massive complaining and is backpedaling.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
I think it was pulled at the last minute precisely BECAUSE it was confusing people and they needed to rethink it.

I wouldn't be surprised if 8.0.1 brings back the Camera Roll as it was in iOS 7. Obviously Apple saw the massive complaining and is backpedaling.

massive complaining? it was "supposedly" pulled before released to the general public. Some people still have it in their settings

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008

lol. That's not what iCloud Photo Library was pulled.

Padmini

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2014
There is no point in responding to Padmini or Menel. They will just say that the old way sucked, the new one is better, and you need to go read to understand.

Yes, that is true. The old way sucked. The new way WOULD HAVE been better if Apple had not botched this release. And yes you need to go read, rather than whining that you don't understand.

----------

It was pulled because Apple failed miserably to get the infrastructure in place to store everyone's photos & videos. That, or some other unrelated bugs. Who knows. Release of the new Photos app is a botch without it.

----------

When 3 of the big features get pulled back on release and the features that do come out confuse your users, it's pretty much safe to say this release was a fiasco. (I'm not even bringing up production issues with the 6+)

Apple got caught with their pants down. Both iOS and the 6+ are being released at least a month prematurely.

I have to agree with this statement.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

No, the new way is pretty dang good...
If you have the "entire new way' and not the stuck in limbo 'partially implemented new way'.

marcel500

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2006

Clearly a fiasco but hey we got at least new wallpapers.

Just updated keynote which supports now iCloud drive but I still can't open or even see files stored inside the drive - what a f u mess.... That's incredible. Worst release ever.

rmbpuser

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2012
massive complaining? it was "supposedly" pulled before released to the general public. Some people still have it in their settings

give it a rest tim, if people say it is confusing it is confusing, especially for people that know how to log on a forum if they find it confusing then it surely is for a lot more people than you can imagine.

it may be japaneasy for you but that does not matter.

marcel500

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2006

Just updated keynote which supports now iCloud drive but I still can't open or even see files stored inside the drive - what a f u mess.... That's incredible. Worst release ever.

Not to mention the battery drainage...

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
give it a rest tim, if people say it is confusing it is confusing, especially for people that know how to log on a forum if they find it confusing then it surely is for a lot more people than you can imagine.

it may be japaneasy for you but that does not matter.

when did i say it wasn't confusing? lol

rmbpuser

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2012
when did i say it wasn't confusing? lol

dunno sorry if you didnt its just a lot of people are arguing here about missing features and not understanding whats where. and it doesnt matter for what reason what isnt available when it should of been be, but its just all a confusing mess when it comes to icloud anything imho.

stanw

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2007
I do not use iOS, I use Android, though I am a Mac and iCloud user. I have several Numbers spreadsheets that I share with other people that without warning no longer share!!!! I am told I need to upgrade to iCloud Drive on my iOS device, which I do not have one. I am told I need to upgrade to Yosemite to continue sharing my files and unless I am mistaken, Yosemite is not available!!!!!! And, I can no longer log into iCloud to even see my files because I have not upgrade to iCloud drive on my non-existant iOS device or through Yosemite which is not available!!!

Am I missing something here????

iArch

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2008
All Over

This. It's awful.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
waaaay too much confusion as to WHY SOME PEOPLE HAVE ICLOUD PHOTO LIBRARY AND SOME DONT.......WHY ????????? We are all running the official release.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.