Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

john991

macrumors 68040
Sep 30, 2014
Great White North - aka Canada
So, I put my photo’s upload to iCloud on pause and now I can’t resume! Hard reset nope. Good grief Apple! ?

power off a few times and I can resume again. But still stuck uploading one item.:eek:

Last edited:

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
It gets hung no matter what I do. Don’t turn off iCloud unless you want to start all over.. removes the photos (per the message).. and then shows that it is downloading from the beginning.. what a PITA.. I have had my phone on a charger, overnight.. still images not downloaded to the phone. What a PITA. Likely going to Apple Store tonight but not sure I will get an resolution with the new wait in line for everting.. I could always just return the phone and buy again.. but again.. a line.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Been in this setup for hours now.

When I was using my home network, which has a rather anaemic 20Mbps throughput it would take hours to see even a minor difference. As soon as I put it back in that state in a spot with a ‘real’ internet connection (eg. hundreds of Mbps), I saw significant progress.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
When I was using my home network, which has a rather anaemic 20Mbps throughput it would take hours to see even a minor difference. As soon as I put it back in that state in a spot with a ‘real’ internet connection (eg. hundreds of Mbps), I saw significant progress.
I have fiber. About 900 up and down. Over 400 wireless.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
I started with a chat, then the engineer told me someone would call me, which happend. The engineer who called me then referred me to another person, who then referred me yet to another person.

My experience with them, that’s how they do it. Why? To get you to forget/drop interest. It’s ****ing annoying. In the end, they will say, “we don’t see an issue/don’t know”. Or “we’ll get back to you”. All horse ****.

dperschonok

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2019
I'm having the same problem and have been since I setup my phone 2 days ago. I've tried pretty much everything in this thread with no luck. The sharing option does seem to force the download of whatever you select, but this is tedious with a large library.

I also have all my photos backed up and synced with Google Photos. I've been hesitant to open the app as I wasn't sure what would happen since the photos weren't all on my phone yet. A friend of my mine suggested trying it, as they thought Google Photos would probably analyze each photo to compare it with my Google library and as it analyzed it, it would force a download from iCloud. I can't confirm this is what it's actually doing, but ever since I opened Google Photos about an hour ago, the number is actually moving. It's gone down by about a thousand in the last hour.

Your mileage may vary but it might be worth a shot, as Google Photos will attempt to at least touch every photo.

MN7119

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2011
I'm having the same problem and have been since I setup my phone 2 days ago. I've tried pretty much everything in this thread with no luck. The sharing option does seem to force the download of whatever you select, but this is tedious with a large library.

I also have all my photos backed up and synced with Google Photos. I've been hesitant to open the app as I wasn't sure what would happen since the photos weren't all on my phone yet. A friend of my mine suggested trying it, as they thought Google Photos would probably analyze each photo to compare it with my Google library and as it analyzed it, it would force a download from iCloud. I can't confirm this is what it's actually doing, but ever since I opened Google Photos about an hour ago, the number is actually moving. It's gone down by about a thousand in the last hour.

Your mileage may vary but it might be worth a shot, as Google Photos will attempt to at least touch every photo.
Just a heads up that I use Amazon Photos and I had 65k photos stored there. Once I got the iPhone 11 Pro stupid Amazon Photos thought I had 65k new photos and uploaded everything. Now I have 130k photos stored there. The two biggest tech companies cannot figure out anything.

Reactions: adrianlondon

dperschonok

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2019

Well, this worked for about 2500 photos. I am back to being stuck.

john991

macrumors 68040
Sep 30, 2014
So I installed Google photo, uploaded my photos and 3 of my photos didn’t upload to Google photo. I’m now thinking the picture might be corrupted and gets stuck uploading. But with 6,540 pictures it’s almost impossible to check each one!

Further to this, my iPP has now finished downloading the 6 photos that were stuck. Thanks for the previous poster who suggested google photos app to kick start the download. It seems to work on my iPP, but that one photo uploading is still stuck on my iPhone! Tomorrow I’m suppose to get a call from Apple engineer on this issue.

Last edited:

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
An update.. as I mentioned, I performed a DFU and full setup as new yesterday on my 11PM. My advice, if you are in the ‘downloading’ Originals status don’t turn iCloud Photos on/off as this will restart the process from UPLOADING them.. THEN downloading them.. WTH?

I put my 11PM on the charger and WiFi with Battery Optimization on (the phone doesn’t need to charge) and got about 2K ‘photos’ last night. I THINK that videos may be the first to download. I am not sure. Things were REALLY slow from 9,800 to 9,000.. tad faster down to 9K and tad faster down to 6,30 which is where I sit now. I think it will just take a few nights on the charger to get 10K photos/videos. It is running slower than normal IMO (done this many times) but I also think that the 11PM not needing to charge so I don’t charge it has paused the process making it seem like it is taking longer. Will see how many I get tonight. The

john991

macrumors 68040
Sep 30, 2014
So with iOS 13.1.2 turning off iCloud for photos didn’t remove the photos from my iPhone. With iOS 13.2 beta 1, I had 77 photos. (Thought where are my 6,500 photos) went into settings and saw my photo storage was 35.6gb. Went back into photos and boom my photos started downloading. So far I’m up to 800 photos of the 6,544. Maybe just maybe the beta fixed my issue? Time will tell. :D

Reactions: StumpyBloke

iAdamator

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2013
South San Francisco, CA
I am having the same issue. I was going to make a new thread but I am glad I searched first. In my case, I recently wiped my iPad and reinstalled my backup. I have iCloud Photos and all my devices set to download full res photos. It has taken DAYS for the iPad to download my library, which is only about 2500 photos and 150 videos.

I plug it in every night and leave it and it barely makes progress!

WE recently got my wife her first iPad as well. Set it up, and set hers to download all photos. Her library is much bigger than mine at about 10k photos. As of last check, she has about 7000 left to download. It's been going since Sunday!

thomamon

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Flemington, NJ
I am having the same issue. I was going to make a new thread but I am glad I searched first. In my case, I recently wiped my iPad and reinstalled my backup. I have iCloud Photos and all my devices set to download full res photos. It has taken DAYS for the iPad to download my library, which is only about 2500 photos and 150 videos.

I plug it in every night and leave it and it barely makes progress!

WE recently got my wife her first iPad as well. Set it up, and set hers to download all photos. Her library is much bigger than mine at about 10k photos. As of last check, she has about 7000 left to download. It's been going since Sunday!
Contact Apple and let them know!

Wish we could get MacRumors to do an article about this.

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2017
Just spent another hour with an apple engineer on the phone. Trying all kinds of things, and during the course of the call we were able to download over 1500 photos. The trigger this time was taking a picture with the iPad, which downloaded to the phone and then the phone started continuing downloading.

Waiting to see if it will complete the job. I still cannot tell whether the problem is on the client or the iCloud side.

iAdamator

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2013
South San Francisco, CA
So today I updated my iPad to the latest beta and my iPhone 11 Pro as well. My iPad finally finished downloading my 2500 photos. Now it shows it’s uploading them all!! Even though they are already in the cloud. How can I stop this?

The library is fully on my phone and it isn’t trying to download or upload anything. Don’t know what my iPad’s problem is.

Edit. Now my iPhone is re-uploading all my photos.

Last edited:

john991

macrumors 68040
Sep 30, 2014
Like everyone else, frustrated. But my issue seems to be the opposite of everyone else’s. My photo has been stuck uploading for weeks. (Close enough)

I may start fresh, wipe the phone clean, and restore from iCloud or iTunes. Hopefully this fixes my issue. :D

Reactions: StumpyBloke

gtmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
I am having the same problem. Originals are in iCloud but will not download to my phone. I have over 10,000 photos.

Hoping it will just take time to complete over next week or so.

ssimonvii

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2012
Hi all. I've been in communication with a senior advisor at Apple support and it sounds like they are aware that there is likely an issue here. I've sent them a bit of information, but I asked him how you all can help providing them with data to determine the cause.

They told me to call 800-275-2273. When prompted for what you need support on, say "Photos". This will transfer you to their "Creative Media" team. Tell them that you are having an issue with iCloud photos since the restore and/or that you have tons of white thumbnails when browsing photos. They should know about it at this point, will likely relay the information to their superiors or will get you a senior advisor if they feel appropriate.

Hopefully if enough of us call and provide information, it will help them determine what they need to fix. Let us know if this even helps and what they say when you call.

john991

macrumors 68040
Sep 30, 2014
Ok, turning off iCloud photo and back on, with iOS 13.2 photos were uploaded, 6,533 and boom one photo stuck uploading. So I’m going to factory reset iPhone and restore from iTunes backup. If that fails, I’ll be calling my Apple support engineer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.