Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carbonfiber

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2004
Im just making sure that if i insttall tiger it wont destroy all my files and whatnot. All my documents etc.. will be left alone, right? Cus im a n00b at this

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
I hope your files can erased. You're a nitwit, and I am 90% sure you got that through piracy or a "friend" :rolleyes: .

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
He doens't know enough to have gotten it himself. I think that he payed for the copy he has.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
A "n00b" would not pay to see WWDC '04 or pay someone on eBay because, well, they're a newbie. What would they know about the Mac if they just got started? I left that 10% chance for him to somehow come across a legitimate copy by chance, but I seriously doubt it.

Not to mention this is his only post ever.

Much of this Tiger forum is filled with some hints to pirating. Many of you should be ashamed of yourselves. I'm not here to start a flamewar (because my battles are to be fought in the Mac Gaming section :) ), but the mods should keep a closer eye on this subforum. It's quite disappointing and not reassuring about the Mac community at all. I'm ashamed I am even associated with some of you Mac users.

The Reaper

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
oh, get off your high horse. Surely, you can understand why people might not want to wait the better part of a year for Tiger - they want it now. But, when the time comes, when Tiger is released, these people will probably purchase the final version (rather than be stuck on an incomplete beta). If they had a means to do so now, they probably would buy the final version (if it was available). So what if they are using a prerelease if they will probably buy it anyway? No one is losing out from this type of activity. So yes, piracy is piracy, but please don't "black and white" this situation, because not all piracy is a bad thing.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Dr. Dastardly said:
Is it really piracy if the thing was free in the first place.? :rolleyes:
Duff-Man says...how much it cost has nothing to do with it - it is all about the terms specified in the agreement for pre-release (or any) software. Even freeware you get from Version Tracker has a license agreement (for the most part)....oh yeah!

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
There's a thing called patience. Use it sometime.

This is black and white:

Free? The Developers paid (partially) to get their DVD. This is a Developer Release. Not a Consumer Release. We don't need consumers to mix in the crowd when the Developers have bugs to report and SDKs to use.

Not all piracy is bad? You must be kidding. Give me a situation where turning to piracy is morally right. Once a pirate, always a pirate...

And you definitely can't be sure that everybody that pirated this PR will pirate the full version.

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
applekid said:
There's a thing called patience. Use it sometime.

This is black and white:

Free? The Developers paid (partially) to get their DVD. This is a Developer Release. Not a Consumer Release. We don't need consumers to mix in the crowd when the Developers have bugs to report and SDKs to use.

Not all piracy is bad? You must be kidding. Give me a situation where turning to piracy is morally right. Once a pirate, always a pirate...

And you definitely can't be sure that everybody that pirated this PR will pirate the full version.

yes, pirating is wrong...and yes, i've done it. specifically, i got a hold of the panther preview release, just because i was so darn interested. but, i bought the full version on "night of the panther" and i bought the family pack for all my machines. so your last statement is most likely false. there are a lot of people who just want to play with a new toy and when the public release comes out, they will buy it. condoning pirating? no...i'm just making it clear that it doesn't follow from pirating this developer's release that one will pirate the public release. stop generalizing like that...

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
kugino said:
yes, pirating is wrong...and yes, i've done it. specifically, i got a hold of the panther preview release, just because i was so darn interested. but, i bought the full version on "night of the panther" and i bought the family pack for all my machines. so your last statement is most likely false. there are a lot of people who just want to play with a new toy and when the public release comes out, they will buy it. condoning pirating? no...i'm just making it clear that it doesn't follow from pirating this developer's release that one will pirate the public release. stop generalizing like that...
Duff-Man says...yes, there are those that will go out and buy the full version....but that should not be used as an "excuse" or justification for pirating the pre-release like most people do....oh yeah!

FredAkbar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
San Francisco, CA
About the piracy issue: while I agree that it's questionable in any case to download things like the Tiger preview without Apple's consent, we can't just assume the person is a general pirate, or that they won't pay for it. I got Panther 7B21 illegally but I sure as hell support Apple and couldn't wait for my paid copy of Panther to arrive in October.

About the issue about which this thread was actually started (funny how not a single person actually answered this guy's question): I would definitely not install Tiger on the same drive that you're currently using for Panther (or whatever OS you have). Unless you have an external drive or have your HD partitioned, I would not recommend installing Tiger at all. Technically, one of the installation options should automatically copy over your home folder (Archive & Install is the safest, as it doesn't actually delete anything, just makes your old OS unbootable and sticks it in a folder), but you never know what could happen with pre-release software.

Anarchy99

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2003
CA
i herd that tiger was not able to be pirated it would either give kernel panics or a missing driver thing i thought the only people with it were us lucky souls who went to wwdc

nuclearwinter

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2003
Milky Way
applekid said:
This is black and white:

You miss the philosophical point. Just because something isn't good doesn't put it immediately on the side of bad. Good and evil may be analogous to white and black, but that doesn't mean that gray cannot exist. Neutrality is a viable option, espeicially in the instance of this n00b. Perhaps he did get Tiger through piracy, but in the end, he probably will buy the full release instead of some half finished beta. If he has it now, what HARM does it do? I think this would be a case of neutral piracy... the n00b will probably harm his system before he harms anyone else!

FredAkbar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Anarchy99: hmm, I never heard that. The only way for that to be possible would be for the install CD to have some copy-protected piece of data on it that installs into the computer during installation and is necessary to run Tiger.

nuclearwinter: good point. carbonfiber, based on your post, you're more likely to screw up your own computer than hurt anything else. No offense meant, I've certainly been there :). All we're saying is that if you don't know what you're doing, you can really mess up your computer, and possibly lose files. Though it should be noted that you did ask us about it first, which was a good idea (assuming you don't mind getting flamed :D).

stoid

macrumors 601
Anarchy99 said:
i herd that tiger was not able to be pirated it would either give kernel panics or a missing driver thing i thought the only people with it were us lucky souls who went to wwdc

I've got a copy of Tiger Beta from questionable sources :eek: and if I try to start up off of the DVD I get a kernel panic. I'm too busy to try and get it to work now, but that MAY be true.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
nuclearwinter said:
You miss the philosophical point. Just because something isn't good doesn't put it immediately on the side of bad. Good and evil may be analogous to white and black, but that doesn't mean that gray cannot exist. Neutrality is a viable option, espeicially in the instance of this n00b. Perhaps he did get Tiger through piracy, but in the end, he probably will buy the full release instead of some half finished beta. If he has it now, what HARM does it do? I think this would be a case of neutral piracy... the n00b will probably harm his system before he harms anyone else!

Harm? In the long term, it's very possible Apple closes its doors to developers or go as far as to install spyware or use other methods. Apple has all right to protect its products. They can and probably will do what is has to in order to protect themselves.

It'll be a shame the day Apple has to resort to those tactics because of a few idiots just didn't have the patience to wait for the next OS X release.

Not that I'm saying Apple will do that soon, but we'll know who to blame when developers have to get past many obstacles just to preview the next OS X.

Not all that neutral to me.

You still haven't proven privacy can be a good thing, whether you agree with the above or not.

zakee00

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2004
i really dont agree with most of you, who cares if he has a piece of pre-release beta pos software? he is GOING to buy the real thing, the beta dosnt have even 25% of the features of the final. plus, it expires after 80days anyway. the point is: i wouldnt even bother installing it, it will just cause you trouble. i doubt it will even be usable as an os. its just to preview a few of the features in the final.
just my $.02

Cruzn15

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2004
The only reason Apple wouldn't want the average consumer trying out alphas of Tiger is because the average idiot would try it out, run into some bugs yet to be ironed out or try out some of the features when not everything is in place, and developers haven't been able to take advantage of the OS yet, and say that it's not worth their money. The idiot won't buy it because of the alpha.

For the educated consumer who is able to snag a copy, play around with some of the new features, and still commit to buying it in the future, I say, "More power to you."

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
Well, I think that piracy can be for the good. Some people out there would like to be developers, but just can't for numerous reasons. But, in the case of Dashboard, people with pirated copies can (wow, I can't think of the word I want to say) "help out" the rest of the mac community. So, the amount of gadgets will probably grow, and some of those from pirated copies. Wouldn't Jobs love to say that there are already over 1,000 available gadgets at Tiger's official release?
–Chase

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
i would not mess with tiger unless you have a spare hard drive. on a g5 i feel its faster than panther, but it is still incomplete and i don't boot up in it, lot of things are still missing. if you want to install you will probably not loose all your data, but it is possible. you have to decide if your data is worth seeing calendars and clocks appear magically on your desktop with a keystroke.

if you have an external drive you dont even need to burn the dvd, just open the osinstall package and go from there. enjoy it but you are probably going to get nothing but b***ing from everyone since i doubt you are a developer.

iJon

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2002
Raleigh, NC
oh freakin' please!!!

and you are just little angels that never do anything wrong ever, right? never EVER copied a videotape, or NEVER speed on the interstate, or NEVER EVER EVER do anything wrong. a wrong is a wrong,so shut the hell up. don't come in here and chastize someone when you are just as liable for things that i am SURE you have done. You don't even know that he didn't get it from WWDC (yes you assume, because of the context of his post, but you DON'T know for sure) and if he is new to the platform, maybe it's good that he check it out so that he actually gets that magic feeling that all of us mac users have had for a while. besides, the developers version doesn't even run great and has only 75% of the features working correctly. it's not like its something he will benefit from. i got the jaguar WWDC copy last year and then proceded to not only buy a copy of it for my work machine, but also bought a Brand new powerbook to run it on at home. Get off the high and mighty CRAP. there are far worse things he could be stealing... or killing... or raping. damn.

I agree that arn should not allow piracy talk on the board but this is not piracy talk, it's installation talk.

sorry for the rant, but i hate hipocrisy.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
technocoy said:
I agree that arn should not allow piracy talk on the board but this is not piracy talk, it's installation talk.
i agree, but i also use some commong reasoning. only people who should have tiger are developers. if you are to develop software im sure you are aware of the risks that early versions of software can impose, especially a system OS. i mean we have no proof he isnt a developer, but come one, we know he pirated it.

iJon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.