Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miggitymac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009
Face rec. Why? Gimmick. How is that even useful?

Siri is useful and innovative. NFC payments are nice thought. Until Google can provide a Ecosystem that can compete with Apple they will always play second fiddle. LTE is a bonus if they produce one, not just promise one. If the battery life doesn't suck. Which I doubt.

But it is like a iPhone. Lol. iPhone killer, sure. Hahaha.

Are you serious? Siri is more "gimmicky" than face recognition...who would use it in public? If you're in a packed elevator or in the middle of a school lecture or business meeting, you're going to pull out your phone and ask Siri to make a note for you? You'd look like a complete douche....and given that it's already been around for a while, I fail to see how it's innovative.

How is face recognition useful? You take the phone out of your pocket, look at it, and BAM you're using your phone. Way quicker than entering a 4 digit number. And since it's the first time used on any smartphone, I'd say it's pretty damn innovative.

And Google's ecosystem isn't bad...I'm sure many iPeople are already on it in some way with Gmail/contacts/google maps/google docs, etc...

I agree about the battery being a concern, but the fact that they used a less powerful GPU and underclocked the CPU should help in that area without compromising too much of the phone's abilities. Isn't it always the Apple fanboys preaching that specs aren't everything? And it's not like the iPhone 4S has a wonderful battery-life (from what I hear).

I'll have to wait until further testing/comparison has been done before I plunk down my cash, but demos like the TechCrunch video have me thinking that the Nexus is a pretty impressive phone.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Are you serious? Siri is more "gimmicky" than face recognition...who would use it in public? If you're in a packed elevator or in the middle of a school lecture or business meeting, you're going to pull out your phone and ask Siri to make a note for you? You'd look like a complete douche....and given that it's already been around for a while, I fail to see how it's innovative.

How is face recognition useful? You take the phone out of your pocket, look at it, and BAM you're using your phone. Way quicker than entering a 4 digit number. And since it's the first time used on any smartphone, I'd say it's pretty damn innovative.

Well put. People seem to forget that innovation doesn't mean "something I think is good". It's a totally new feature designed to make using your phone that extra little bit easier, just as Siri does, except this does it in a way that's never been done before. That's the innovation. I'm sure if I owned this phone I'd definitely use the face recognition :)

iamthedudeman

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2007

And Google's ecosystem isn't bad...I'm sure many iPeople are already on it in some way with Gmail/contacts/google maps/google docs, etc...

I agree about the battery being a concern, but the fact that they used a less powerful GPU and underclocked the CPU should help in that area without compromising too much of the phone's abilities. Isn't it always the Apple fanboys preaching that specs aren't everything? And it's not like the iPhone 4S has a wonderful battery-life (from what I hear).

I'll have to wait until further testing/comparison has been done before I plunk down my cash, but demos like the TechCrunch video have me thinking that the Nexus is a pretty impressive phone.

Gimmicky. Lol

Over the past week. Siri enabled me to get all of my new text messages and emails, reply to my text messages, check my calendar, move an appointment, create an appointment including inviting someone to a meeting, check the weather, play a specific song, find where a specific friend was in the world (using Apple’s Find My Friends app), and make a few phone calls. All while not actually having my phone in my hands while driving.

Try that with your Android device. I own a Galaxy S2 and know it's limitations. So I will answer that question for you, not in a million years.

It hasn't been around for awhile. This is not voice control as in Android. Its AI.

Don't give me that Iris bull. Garbage a quick 'tacked on' response to Siri, embarrassing actually.

http://www.knowyourmobile.in/news/1097910/android_iris_vs_apple_siri_the_ultimate_face_off.html

compare that to this. yeah the same. :roll eyes:

Siri is a spin-out from the SRI International Artificial Intelligence Center , and is an offshoot of the DARPA-funded CALO project, described as perhaps the largest artificial-intelligence project ever launched

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siri_(software)

And no Voice Actions isn't in the same ball park, not even close. Don't give me that crap. Clearly you don't know what you are talking about. Siri is a game changer, plain and simple.

Yes face recognition is gimmicky. It allows you to open your phone, big deal. How is that innovative?

Siri is not. Actually is useful. As stated in my post. I swipe my finger across the screen. How hard is that? Siri can be used from the lock screen also. Hold in the home button, wow, that is hard.

You do know that you can hold the phone to your ear same as on a call and Siri activates automatically don't you. It would look the same as if you were on a call. How does that look like a douche?

And yes Google's eco system sucks. They don't have anything to compare with Apple. I know, I have tried it and it sucks. Period.

Performance? Right now as it stands the 4S is the fastest smartphone on the block. Hardware doesn't mean squat if the OS cannot take advantage of it.

http://www.slashgear.com/iphone-4s-review-11187049/

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4951/...rks-800mhz-a5-slightly-slower-gpu-than-ipad-2

When you're less concerned about longevity and more concerned about outright speed, the 4S won't disappoint when compared to its predecessors. On the SunSpider 9.1 JavaScript benchmark, a good test of overall ability to render the best the web has to offer, the phone scores a 2,200ms on average. That's well lower (quicker) than the 3,700 the iPhone 4 manages and faster than any other smartphone we've tested. In fact it ranks right up there with tablets like the Galaxy Tab 10.1 (2,200), but still the iPad 2 leaves it behind with its score of 1,700.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/14/iphone-4s-review/

The Prime isn't out yet, but even still I don't think the 4S will be outclassed by any means. Take that 1750 battery and I will say a big "no thanks'.

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
Curious how many MR members are seriously considering an Android device if the next iPhone features no redesign and is strictly a spec update.

UPDATE: NOW THAT THE NON-REDESIGN IS OFFICIAL, WILL YOU GO ANDROID???

Yes, I have gone Android. And I think its purely because I'm bored of looking at the iPhone. I always said it was just until Apple redesigned the iPhone but after a month with my Galaxy S2, I actually greatly prefer it.

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
These are the most infantile threads that let me doubt MacRumors sanity.

Just because Porsche will not get a re-design in 2013 does NOT mean I will go Kia.

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
Yes, I have gone Android. And I think its purely because I'm bored of looking at the iPhone. I always said it was just until Apple redesigned the iPhone but after a month with my Galaxy S2, I actually greatly prefer it.

You had to bump a 6 month old thread to announce this? One of the other 582 Android threads here wouldn't do? By the way, no one cares. See ya.

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
You had to bump a 6 month old thread to announce this? One of the other 582 Android threads here wouldn't do? By the way, no one cares. See ya.

I'm forever reading posts instructing people to search before posting. I searched for something. I saw this. I added to it (this is a forum, after all). And then I got slated for it.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
I'm forever reading posts instructing people to search before posting. I searched for something. I saw this. I added to it (this is a forum, after all). And then I got slated for it.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

You didn't see the multiple Android threads on the first page? You must have because you felt the need to reply in yet another announcing you have switched to Android. Does this mean you will leave this forum now?

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
Just because Porsche will not get a re-design in 2013 does NOT mean I will go Kia.

I used to have a Merc. When they brought out the new, redesigned version I went straight to my dealer to order one. When I sat in it I noticed the interior was identical to my older model.

A matter of months later I sold my older Merc and bought a Range Rover. I'm now on my second Range Rover and can't see myself going back to Mercedes any time soon.

----------

You didn't see the multiple Android threads on the first page? You must have because you felt the need to reply in yet another announcing you have switched to Android. Does this mean you will leave this forum now?

First page of what?

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Im more looking at the software update than I am a redesigned hardware. Some things about iOS sorely need improving.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
i jumped ship to verizon last year from at&t, and the first thing i noticed was the slower data speeds (albeit more consistent and reliable). with this year's iphone, i'm really looking forward to lte more than anything. if it has it, i don't care what the next iphone looks like. if not, i may do feature phone + lte ipad. i won't go to android, though. been there, done that.

Invincibilizer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2011
Not going to wait for the next iPhone.

It's not the iPhone thats the problem, iOS is just too old sure app selection was nice but less app diversity won't kill me on Android.

Moving to Android to experience something new!

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
I was looking into getting a note until I saw that the stylus was called the S pen, which is one letter away from being something altogether less pleasant.

dvoros

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
next iPhone

Yes, if its not a redesign I will probably move to a phone with a min. 4.5 screen and preferably a 5 inch screen

dzigg

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2007
LOL.. people.. this is a thread about when the Next iPhone is the 4S! Not the phone AFTER the 4S.. This is what happened when someone digging an old thread..

Anyways.. funny enough, the question is still valid for now.. so my answer is, I won't go to Android because of the 'Apple' environment I'm in. I hate to say this but Apple has successfully created an environment that is so pleasant, easy to use, and beautiful.. DAMN YOU:apple:! :p

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
I am not some iPhone fanboy. I actually hated the iPhone and have had 7 Android phones over the past 3 years. Before you go running off to Android, you may want to think about its biggest problems. Not getting your device supported or updated for starters. You got a problem? Google doesn't care, neither will your carrier. They are in too big of a hurry trying to rush out the next version of the OS (that your phone will never see) or too busy trying to market their new phone to snag new contracts. There are currently 1443 Android phones (let that sink in a minute) and do you know how many are running the newest OS thats been out for over 5 months? THREE phones and one of those actually launched with it. What a pathetic joke. 65% of those phones will never even see the update because the phone is either no longer supported (although within their 2 year contracts still) or no longer capable of running the OS. The vast majority of those phone are stuck on an OS TWO years old and can't even download the newer apps from the market or get a fix for their problems. Check this out

http://www.bgr.com/2012/04/05/is-the-iphone-fragmented-ios-adoption-measured-against-android/

“iOS 5 captured approximately 75% of all iOS users in the same amount of time it took Gingerbread to get 4% of all Android users,” Sauve wrote in his analysis on pxldot. “Even more astounding is that 15 weeks after launch iOS 4 was at 70% and iOS 5 was at 60% while Ice Cream Sandwich got to just 1% share at the same age. If there were any question as to whether iOS had a less fragmented ecosystem than Android, the past two charts provide a fairly definitive answer.” Sauve continued, “iOS devices have, on average, reached 10% version share 300 times faster than Android versions, 30% share 19 times faster, and 50% share 7 times faster.”

Here is another good recent article to read about the mess Android has become

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/the-sorry-state-of-android-hardware-fragmentation/19427

Smug Boy

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2011
Not going to wait for the next iPhone.

It's not the iPhone thats the problem, iOS is just too old sure app selection was nice but less app diversity won't kill me on Android.

Moving to Android to experience something new!

If IOS it too old then what is Android? You could only categorize it as an unfinished rip off of an too old operating system.

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
LOL.. people.. this is a thread about when the Next iPhone is the 4S! Not the phone AFTER the 4S.. This is what happened when someone digging an old thread..

So people, the moral of this is DO NOT SEARCH as there's a chance you may actually find an old thread. Instead, make sure you create a new thread whenever you have anything you wish to say.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
I will probably wait to see what Apple has to offer us this fall, however I am incredibly excited to test out the HTC One X at AT&T when it is available. By all accounts from the reviews I've read the display is incredible. One of the few (if not the only) display to rival the clarity of the retina display (and 1.2" larger to boot).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.