Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
For me, it would be the Santos De Cartier.

To me, it’s beautiful (the SS & gold version) which stands out a mile, is classic, and was the first wrist watch ever made.

How about you?

IMG_0897.png

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2015
NY

I have a watch very similar to this one that I bought probably 15 years ago. Minus a few scruffs on it, it still looks and functions perfectly. I wear my AW Ultra probably 99% of the time, but I always bring this watch out for those special occasions.

Sometimes my AWU is just a little too large for me.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I much prefer the better G-Shocks from Casio. The Solar charged ones never need charging and an iOS app quickly sets them for whatever time zone I visit. Current favorite...

GShock.jpeg

These are tough, take care of themselves, quartz accurate, etc. If I want apps & notifications, I have iDevices and Macs for that- both with much bigger screens. This one scratches all watch itches for me.

And frankly, I don't even wear that favorite every day, as I get time & date, etc. on the screen that is always with me every time I look at it.

Last edited:

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
For me, it would be the Santos De Cartier.

To me, it’s beautiful (the SS & gold version) which stands out a mile, is classic, and was the first wrist watch ever made.

How about you?

View attachment 2333156
You've raised a good question. An excellent topic!
Firstly I can't "stop wearing an Apple watch", simply due to the fact that I've never had one!;)
But as a long-time watch collector and big fan of Apple products since the purchase of my first Ti PowerBook G4 back in 2001, I anticipated the release of the Gen1 AppleWatch some 8 or so years ago with great enthusiasm. And I was fairly sure I would purchase one to add to my collection of watches and other Apple collectables.
However on reading the first official reviews on MacWorld and elsewhere I was in for a disappoinment - although no doubt tens of thousands of buyers were highly delighted - and still are.
Although I found the design and build quality pleasing, it was news of the battery 'life' - or rather lack of it - which was an immediate turn-off. Some slight improvements to battery autonomy appeared with subsequent models but there was no way I could live with a watch which required recharging several times a week or perhaps every day depending on use, given that my other electro-mechanical watches (60's Bulova Accutron, '74 Omega Speedsonic f300 etc) would function for 12months+ and even up to 2 years respectively - with a watch almost 50 years old!. Plus when required I can change the button cell battery in 4 minutes. I've never tried that on an Apple watch and don't plan to.
So related to your original query, instead of purchasing and wearing an early Apple watch, around 2015 after a fair amount of research I bought a Seiko SKX007 auto mechanical 200m diver watch, and very pleased I did as it's still in impeccable condition with original box and papers - plus it's value has soared X3 from what I paid originally. Had I bought an early AW I'd probably be lucky to recoup even the original price (unlike an original iPhone1,1) which I recently sold. :)
You mention the Cartier Santos, a model I know quite well, especially the auto versions, and although a very pleasant dress watch, not quite my style. Actually I bought one for my wife over 25 years ago, and she"s worn it only twice since.... 😢 Info in the second part of my blog HERE.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

leifp

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Canada
I keep flirting with Withings watches. They’re always just less than I desire. Were I to go fancy, probably a Rolex. The only reason I’d choose them over their competition is that they’re a registered charitable foundation.

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
When I retired in 2008 I put my watches in a drawer which is where they stayed until 2021. The day I got the AW. If I stopped wearing the AW for some reason I would go back to nothing. (but that won't happen unless they stop making AWs)

Reactions: G5isAlive

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004
Timex Ironman: reason is that it had to be extremely rugged, and chemical resistant as I worked in a lab. Having the easy-use timer was a boon for repeatedly making small 30 second repetitive measurements when doing enzyme assays. On medical retirement now so I’d probably not bother wearing a watch other than the AW. I had a Galaxy Watch 3 but got so pissed at it afyer a month that I just gave it to my sister to frustrate pver.

Tom

BillGates1969

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2008
Poole, UK
I have a Santos and Rolex Datejust. Not worn either for about 5 years now. Apple Watch 100% of the time. Don’t think I could very go back to a mechanical. I love the look of them, but they only tell the time lol!

Reactions: PaladinGuy

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Already do it today.. I sometimes swap out my apple watch or garmin watch for my Omega Speedmaster Racing. A fully mechanical watch that keeps excellent time is still in my eyes a true timepiece.

d5d90afaaac7219a5a1445de5d16487e.jpg
Gorgeous timepiece.

Well wear.
I almost never wear my Apple Watch, never fell in love with it. My daily watch is the tissot prx automatic.
Enjoy your Tissot (I used to have a Tissot, but gave it to my brother when I treated myself to an Omega Deville).
You've raised a good question. An excellent topic!
Firstly I can't "stop wearing an Apple watch", simply due to the fact that I've never had one!;)
Agree completely with this post.

I don't have an Apple Watch - and have never had one, nor wanted one.

Instead, I have a beautiful Omega Deville, the classic style that one used to see in the 1950s and 1960s, have had it for 14 years, (and had eyed it for at least two years prior to that), and I wear it daily.

To those (@Jackbequickly and @GlenK) who have beautiful timepieces secreted away in a drawer (sacrificed to the AW), why not wear them? They are exquisite, and are also an expression of craftsmanship and horological (and time-keeping) genius.

Or, why not give them - gift them - to someone who will appreciate them and treasure them?

Octavius8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2016
I wear 2 watches!. On my right hand, my Series 6, on my left I use anything from my collection, from Tudor Ranger, Omega Aquaterra blue dial, Seamastrr black and gold, some Montblancs, Oris or Longness. Depending on my mood basically.
My Apple Watch is more a gadget than a watch for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.