Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ingster

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2007
Leeds, UK
If i were to stop using my apple watch, for best i'd use my Omega Seamaster aqua terra, for day-to-day use i'd probably go for a rotation of several Swatch x Omega moonswatches (already own the mission to Mars, but do want 1 or 2 more of the darker colours) or i'd try one of the Swatch x Blancpain watches. I've also got a couple old school G-Shock watches which I may have to dust off. Or if it were allowed i'd probably try to find my old pebble smartwatch, that thing was awesome!

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I'm currently thinking about what options I have for this because I can't stand smartwatches. I tried an Apple Watch ages ago, but having to charge a watch every two days just feels wrong (and they are not scratch-resistant enough for people like me); at the same time, I don't want to be constantly staring at my smartphone to see what time it might be at upscale events or on a date.

After reading a lot about movements, cases and crystal glass, I've made a sort of "checklist" for the watch of my choice:

- I want an automatic movement (edit: from anyone but Miyota - they're too loud). Quartz movements are boring.
- Necessary features are a date display and at least slightly illuminated hands.
- Sapphire crystal (or the possibility of using one) is absolutely essential. I'm really clumsy.
- I don't want the watch to be too "smart", so it should go with a shirt and hoodie as well as a fine suit.
- And all this for a maximum of 700 euros, because I'm not only demanding, but also poor.

After reading about twelve billion reviews, I'm undecided between a Hamilton Khaki Auto and a (sapphire-modified) Seiko SRPG, and it looks like the Hamilton has the slight edge. I'll try them both out on Friday.

Love the SRPG line. Have the 35 in my collection. Where would you go to upgrade to a Sapphire Crystal?

Reactions: it wasnt me

it wasnt me

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2019
the internet, mostly
Probably, I’d ask my nearest watchmaker. I’m really clumsy. :)

How’s the precision on yours? I’ve read varying accounts on this, and it would probably be very annoying to set the time twice a week.

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
BF8FDF54-B309-4BF6-B0C2-05853C205111.jpeg

I swap my Ultra with one of these two when going to the office of dinner of something like it. Enjoy them very much

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Probably, I’d ask my nearest watchmaker. I’m really clumsy. :)

How’s the precision on yours? I’ve read varying accounts on this, and it would probably be very annoying to set the time twice a week.

Mine is actually pretty solid but I might be lucky. The entry level Seiko movements can also be quite easily adjusted, so I’d take a quick trip to a local watchmaker if I had to adjust the time too often. In fairness though I swap watches out almost every day and end up winding them again a few days after when they are back on the wrist. I’d grab a good solar or atomic solar if precision is a strong concern for you.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
A Casio waveceptor solar watch. Never any recharging, changing batteries, or adjusting time. Always accurate to the second and priced affordably.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'm currently thinking about what options I have for this because I can't stand smartwatches. I tried an Apple Watch ages ago, but having to charge a watch every two days just feels wrong (and they are not scratch-resistant enough for people like me); at the same time, I don't want to be constantly staring at my smartphone to see what time it might be at upscale events or on a date.

After reading a lot about movements, cases and crystal glass, I've made a sort of "checklist" for the watch of my choice:

- I want an automatic movement (edit: from anyone but Miyota - they're too loud). Quartz movements are boring.
- Necessary features are a date display and at least slightly illuminated hands.
- Sapphire crystal (or the possibility of using one) is absolutely essential. I'm really clumsy.
- I don't want the watch to be too "smart", so it should go with a shirt and hoodie as well as a fine suit.
- And all this for a maximum of 700 euros, because I'm not only demanding, but also poor.

After reading about twelve billion reviews, I'm undecided between a Hamilton Khaki Auto and a (sapphire-modified) Seiko SRPG, and it looks like the Hamilton has the slight edge. I'll try them both out on Friday.
Tissot and Skagen (a Danish company) make elegant (and affordable) watches; I've had watches by both and recommend them.

philstubbington

macrumors 6502
Tissot and Skagen (a Danish company) make elegant (and affordable) watches; I've had watches by both and recommend them.
I agree, I’ve been wearing a Tissot for years. Also quite handy as it has day of the week and month, which is useful when you travel a lot. I wear two watches - the Tissot or Garmin (for cycling or running) on one wrist and an Apple Watch on the other. I only bought an Apple Watch as the Fitbit I had before was such poor quality.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
I agree, I’ve been wearing a Tissot for years. Also quite handy as it has day of the week and month, which is useful when you travel a lot. I wear two watches - the Tissot or Garmin (for cycling or running) on one wrist and an Apple Watch on the other. I only bought an Apple Watch as the Fitbit I had before was such poor quality.
You wear three watches at once?

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
How about you?

Patek Philippe 6300GR-001:

The first watch on that video. I just love the engineering and expertise that goes into designing and building a watch like that. Those people who design and build them are remarkably talented.

Mind you, it's somewhat costly... There is one for sale at the moment for 8 figure price...

Last edited:

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
I think the other one I'd swap the Apple Watch Ultra for is a Heuer Monaco, I've always loved the square shape of that watch, it's such a classic design. I would need a 4.9L 12 cylinder Porsche 917 to go with it however.

• Haha
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.