Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

megfilmworks

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2007
Sherman Oaks
This one looks good too.
I downloaded the Efiko, which was super simple; edit, and send 2 or 3 steps.
It took me a little while to figure out how to use is as it is a PC app, so I had to run parallels, but once I figured it out it has worked great.

ichii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2006
I got to step 4 "put the phone into recovery mode" but I just get the pinwheel, could I skip that step? since it has a box to skip it.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
Very simple and easy directions to follow. iFuntastic worked on my iPhone. The only hang-up I had was Step 6....and I had to actually do this twice before all the ringtones that were already on the iPod appeared and it let me select them and proceed to Step 7. The process took about 2 minutes for me. I now have alot of 30-second-or-less-chosen-snippets from songs in my iTunes library as ringtones on my iPhone.

Though the creating MP3's from iTunes-through Garageband process took me an hour :)

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
This is looking better. I'll give it a try this evening after work. Thanks for the great instructions and app!

dominatrix

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2007
This is looking better. I'll give it a try this evening after work. Thanks for the great instructions and app!

not only looking, but its so much easier and simple to do.. i would say anyone can try this without any problems, just follow the steps carefully. :p

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Very simple and easy directions to follow. iFuntastic worked on my iPhone. The only hang-up I had was Step 6....and I had to actually do this twice before all the ringtones that were already on the iPod appeared and it let me select them and proceed to Step 7. The process took about 2 minutes for me. I now have alot of 30-second-or-less-chosen-snippets from songs in my iTunes library as ringtones on my iPhone.

Though the creating MP3's from iTunes-through Garageband process took me an hour :)

I thought at least with the process, maybe with the software too, you use aac files not mp3, and I don't know how well garageband does as an editor, I always use Audion out of Toast to edit files down to what I want and then pull them back into iTunes and convert them from within there to aac. My Nokia 8801 used aac for ringtones but I haven't created any for my iPhone yet. Though I may have to to a. make some louder ones, b. use some cool songs, and c. replace some of the alert noises like for voicemail and texts messages and other alerts to something I will actually hear, as well as d. put something on there worth using for an alarm tone.

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but this doesn't allow you to change the ringtones for individual people. If that's the case, then it's still worthless to me. I set the ringtones in the contacts, but it still just ignores them. I finally decided it wasn't worth it and restored my iPhone.

TheBusDriver

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2005
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but this doesn't allow you to change the ringtones for individual people. If that's the case, then it's still worthless to me. I set the ringtones in the contacts, but it still just ignores them. I finally decided it wasn't worth it and restored my iPhone.

Works for me, I love it lots.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio

I tend to agree with you. Being able to add ringtones is nice but not being able to attach them to contacts doesn't make this worth my while. I'll wait and see if or what Apple does with ringtones :apple:

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
I thought at least with the process, maybe with the software too, you use aac files not mp3, and I don't know how well garageband does as an editor, I always use Audion out of Toast to edit files down to what I want and then pull them back into iTunes and convert them from within there to aac. My Nokia 8801 used aac for ringtones but I haven't created any for my iPhone yet. Though I may have to to a. make some louder ones, b. use some cool songs, and c. replace some of the alert noises like for voicemail and texts messages and other alerts to something I will actually hear, as well as d. put something on there worth using for an alarm tone.

Both mp3 and aac work. GarageBand works great as an editor......and I'm being pretty picky about the 30 second snippets I pull from my songs. So far I've added around 30 songs to my iPhone and 10 to my wifes. I did mp3 first as I was unsure about what the stock ringtones were, but after realizing they were aac I then began using aac as I can "share"/export a song out of GarageBand in the aac (m4a) format. They are definitely louder than the stock 'tones. I had my ringer turned up before, now it's set on "3" for ringer volume.

I have merely put these in as ringtones that I am using for my contacts....and it works great. Someday I'll have a different song for each contact and each group (friends, family, work, etc.) will have a different song from the same band to help me identify without looking :)

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes

What issue are you having with ringtonese for individual people? All I do is go to the contact, select 'edit', go to 'ringtone', and then pick one. Back out and save it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.