Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chopper dave

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2007
beachball forever?

Mine beachballs on step 3 forever- am I missing something?

Also, the instructions online are a bit confusing:

"Click the number 2 button (the next time you run this program, you will just skip ahead to the number 3 button). You will get the spinning beach ball for a minute while the program (it's got Jailbreak inside) does its thing."

The buttons give instructions, right? Why would it jailbreak on the folder selection?

"Go to number 3 on the program and click the Unlock button.
You will get a spinning beach ball. At this point, put the iPhone into recovery mode by pressing and holding the Home button and the Sleep/Wake button for a full 25 seconds."

Do I go into recovery mode during the step 3 beachball, or do I wait until it is done? (at this point, never)

Djmx

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
For all of you saying if you can assign ringtones to individuals the answer is YES. i just did it and it worked! click on the contact u want then edit then assign ringtone n choose the one u uploaded and done!

B-Ri

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2007
I tend to agree with you. Being able to add ringtones is nice but not being able to attach them to contacts doesn't make this worth my while. I'll wait and see if or what Apple does with ringtones :apple:

what are you guys talking about? i have plenty of ringtones set to specific contacts, and they play.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
Mine beachballs on step 3 forever- am I missing something?

Also, the instructions online are a bit confusing:

"Click the number 2 button (the next time you run this program, you will just skip ahead to the number 3 button). You will get the spinning beach ball for a minute while the program (it's got Jailbreak inside) does its thing."

The buttons give instructions, right? Why would it jailbreak on the folder selection?

"Go to number 3 on the program and click the Unlock button.
You will get a spinning beach ball. At this point, put the iPhone into recovery mode by pressing and holding the Home button and the Sleep/Wake button for a full 25 seconds."

Do I go into recovery mode during the step 3 beachball, or do I wait until it is done? (at this point, never)

-You skip #2 everytime after the first time you run the program b/c you've already set the folder for where you are storing your created ringtones.

-After you click #3 (unlock) you go into recovery mode. Regardless of whether the beachball happens as soon as you click unlock go ahead and put the phone into recovery mode. It will beachball during this time. Once it finishes beachballing you should have a list of the ringtones you created as well as the stock ones already on your phone. If it doesn't work (and the stock ringtones do not show up) then click do #3 again and do recovery mode again. I've actually had to do this part twice each time on my iPhone but only once with my wifes.

-now select your ringtones you created, click update, and follow the remaining steps.

Hope that helps.

KeegoSupremo

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2006
The program worked great for ringtones but is there a way to use this program to change the system sounds?

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
What issue are you having with ringtonese for individual people? All I do is go to the contact, select 'edit', go to 'ringtone', and then pick one. Back out and save it.

When I do that, and then test with the person calling me, it still just uses whatever ring I've set to the generic ringtone.

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
I should clarify that my contact specific ringtones work fine now that I restored my iPhone, just not while I had this installed. Also, I only checked this with one phone number, so it was not very thourough. I'm thinking though that something just went wrong when I followed the steps, so your results will probably differ from mine.

I should note that the other thing that led me to believe this approach only worked for the generic ringtone was the way the instructions describe it at the end (in terms of the generic ringtone, rather than pointing out how to do it for a specific contact).

GTiPhone

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2007
Island Heights, NJ
I must say I just got this to work and I am tremendously pleased! IMO, no further need for any ringtone app or ringtone tab in tunes. Granted that would be nice, but this works and it works REALLY well.

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
I dunno about that, I'd like to still have iTunes launch automatically after adding ringtones, and I'd like not to have to hold down those buttons for so long. It feels like I'm hurting my little baby. I felt so cruel.

GTiPhone

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2007
Island Heights, NJ
I dunno about that, I'd like to still have iTunes launch automatically after adding ringtones, and I'd like not to have to hold down those buttons for so long. It feels like I'm hurting my little baby. I felt so cruel.

Yes i agree its still a bit "hacky" for my liking, esp with such a previous device.

Still though, the end result, once everything is back running, is equal to or better than you could hope from apple.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes

I know it's not supposed to but iTunes still launches for me when plugging in my iPhone after using this app. Hmmmmmmmmm............

b257177

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2007
Full Functionality?

Okay, so the more manual way before iFuntastic specifically mentions things like the YouTube application and Visual Voice Mail *not* working after applying the custom ringtones. This disclaimer doesn't appear on the iFuntastic step-by-step.

So, a question: Does your iPhone work fully after using iFuntastic?? YouTube? Visual Voice Mail? Syncing with iTunes?

Thanks for your replies! :)

c.greene914

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2007
I just confirmed that Visual Voicemail, YouTube, and syncing with iTunes still work.

Also, I have added custom mp3 ringtones and iTunes still opens and syncs automatically when I plug in my iPhone just like it's supposed to.

Bretskate

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2006
Got it to work :)

And, whats the best way to make 30 second sniplets of your music into a ringtone?

c.greene914

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2007
I see people have mentioned using GarageBand to edit songs into short segments.

It may be easier/harder for some, but I use iMovie and it's pretty simple. Edit song, export sound to AIFF, then in iTunes convert AIFF to MP3.

voicegy

macrumors 65816
Count Me In!

This app worked perfectly - and with version 2.0, it's even more fun to rearrange the icons on the iPhone to my liking. Ringtones, rearranging icons, even replacing the at&t moniker with the word "pwn3d" went off without a hitch. Not a "hacky" feel to the application at all.

Friggin' awesome!:D

dominatrix

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2007
This app worked perfectly - and with version 2.0, it's even more fun to rearrange the icons on the iPhone to my liking. Ringtones, rearranging icons, even replacing the at&t moniker with the word "pwn3d" went off without a hitch. Not a "hacky" feel to the application at all.

Friggin' awesome!:D

i cant see anything cool to change the icons position, i want to be able to CHANGE the icons for the ones i want , modify them , put wallpaper, not move the same boring iphone icons around. not a big improvement.. the ringtone still the best thing on this app , im waiting for the ability to modify icons and put wallpaper.

voicegy

macrumors 65816
i cant see anything cool to change the icons position, i want to be able to CHANGE the icons for the ones i want , modify them , put wallpaper, not move the same boring iphone icons around. not a big improvement.. the ringtone still the best thing on this app , im waiting for the ability to modify icons and put wallpaper.

Don't know if this is getting closer to what you want, but the latest version of iFuntastic DOES let you 'get rid of' some of the icons. For my taste, getting rid of the Notes and Calculator buttons was a welcome upgrade to this app...you can even move the icons in the hallowed "lower" part of the screen - for instance, just have the Phone icon there, sitting dead center!

Having fun with this app....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.