Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ScubaCinci

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
OH
From a photography perspective in terms of prints, being able to take 48MP shots for large prints is great. If I want high quality images, I'm sticking with the DSLR.

Reactions: Macalicious2011

Miltz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2013
Well I called it. After some side by side tests my intuition is spot on. There is zero difference is quality between the 13Pro and the 15 with the regular lens. The 24 megapixels on the 15 Does Not resolve more detail than the 12 on the 13Pro. The Ultra Wide is worse on the 15 by a small margin which is what I predicted based on the difference in light gathering.
The weight difference is drastic which for me is important. It feels like half the weight even though it's only 33 grams lighter. Bottom Line do not upgrade for the cameras as you will be disappointed. 48 Megapixel file is a joke, it looks gross and I'm never going to use it.

Ryan P

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2010
Well I called it. After some side by side tests my intuition is spot on. There is zero difference is quality between the 13Pro and the 15 with the regular lens. The 24 megapixels on the 15 Does Not resolve more detail than the 12 on the 13Pro. The Ultra Wide is worse on the 15 by a small margin which is what I predicted based on the difference in light gathering.
The weight difference is drastic which for me is important. It feels like half the weight even though it's only 33 grams lighter. Bottom Line do not upgrade for the cameras as you will be disappointed. 48 Megapixel file is a joke, it looks gross and I'm never going to use it.
Compare in low light. There have been several comparisons where the 15 Pro outperforms the 14 Pro with the main camera there. That is also the only improvement Apple stated at the keynote. There really is very little you can improve in good light (without changing the lenses), as the sensor is already excellent in well lit environments. The biggest improvement there is the defaulting to 24MP vs 12MP.

The 48MP is a raw mode, and works well if you intend to do a lot of pushing and pulling in post, otherwise avoid.

Last edited:

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
This is why at the end of the day I went for the 15 pro rather than the max. Why spend more for a camera feature I won’t enjoy using?
Correct. It makes me think of the M1 iPad Pro. Purchased a keyboard case for it. However, using it as a mac replacement is usually more frustrating than enjoyable.

Miltz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2013
Compare in low light. There have been several comparisons where the 15 Pro outperforms the 14 Pro with the main camera there. That is also the only improvement Apple stated at the keynote. There really is very little you can improve in good light, without changing the lenses, as the sensor is already excellent in good light.
My kitchen is pretty dark so it's low light. The files look identical with the main camera except for white balance. This makes sense as the cameras have the same sensor size. That's also why the 48 megapixel shot looks so bad. Same sensor as the 13Pro but now upsampling to 48 from 12. I considering setting it up to shoot 12 by default like the 13.

TeeWrecks

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2015
Bronx, NY
I did some quick comparison shots against my x-t5, and while I still don't like the photos from iPhone I think its a really great option for the everyday person, or person that can't/isnt ready to invest in a camera. if we are being honest most peoples cameras rolls will be filled with pictures of their pets, kids, or dinner for the night, they don't need to invest in a separate device to catch that unless they want to. IDK why the camera is such a hot topic this year lol

Miltz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2013
Some positive news if you want to see it that way. In the 15 you can change it to always shoot at 12MP. When you do and compare side by the to the 13Pro, It does look better. More detail and less noise which is positive. I'm going to keep it at 12MP. I can always upsample the images in photoshop just like apple is doing in software if I want a larger image.

Reactions: MrAperture

Xian Zhu Xuande

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
I picked up the new Pro for the 120mm equivalent focal length, and like a dummy, realized later that the feature is specific to the larger model. Oops. Extending the optical focal range out that far is such a delightful ideal to me. It would leave the iPhone covering my favorite focal ranges.

That said, even though the cameras have been upgraded in some capacities here and there (optical improvements, the stacking providing a mid-range resolution through blending with the debayered and however-the-are-doing the full resolution readout from the quad bayer matrix-filtered sensors), I wouldn’t expect that any of this amounts to a dramatic improvement for the enthusiastic photographer on the previous model. The new telephoto optical range is probably the standout feature there. And the rest is improvements in computational photography.

Kinda like folks can make a big deal out of the latest incremental advances in a professional camera, when in fact, it really does not do so much more than the previous model that it should be having a dramatic impact on the quality of results the photographer is producing.

You do you. I wouldn’t expect a plumber to show up to a job with nothing but a Swiss Army knife and I wouldn’t expect a professional photographer to show up to a job with nothing but an iPhone, or any phone. If I was invested in pro grade camera gear I wouldn’t care so much about the camera in the iPhone either.
iPhones can be practical for photography, even for a professional. If I hired a photographer for an event like a wedding and they showed up with an iPhone, I’d want to gut them on the spot, but it can still serve practical purposes in various projects, and in knowledgeable hands, it can still produce exceptional results. It can certainly be a fun tool for a photographer. It is a fun tool for me, and I have been enjoying photography with expensive gear for more than two decades, now.

But I won’t be selling my cameras to use the iPhone. Some things, a mobile phone just cannot even come close to a traditional camera and lenses in accomplishing.

Reactions: Supermallet

krebphone

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2019
Can you post some examples, really curious about the 24mp files.

Xian Zhu Xuande

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Some positive news if you want to see it that way. In the 15 you can change it to always shoot at 12MP. When you do and compare side by the to the 13Pro, It does look better. More detail and less noise which is positive. I'm going to keep it at 12MP. I can always upsample the images in photoshop just like apple is doing in software if I want a larger image.
In a side-by-side comparison like that, always be sure to look at the *full* image in a comparable field of view, rather than zooming in or doing anything 1:1. The higher resolution image will always look noisier, but it tends to balance out quite a bit when viewed at the same field of view. It also strikes me as highly unlikely that the 12 MP photo features more detail. That is probably just an artifact of the sharpening algorithms. You would inherently have more detail in the higher resolution image, even if it is noisier. One nice thing about the higher resolution images is that the noise is also smaller relative to detail, so noise reduction can be more effective at preserving detail.

But I can think of plenty of reasons why it would make sense to use a "default to 12 MP" mode anyhow.

One is that these 48MP sensors are quad bayer filtered sensors, and that does not render properly to 48 MP (or 24 MP for that matter). It debaters properly and cleanly to 12 MP. So I suspect there are some [legit] behind-the-scenes shenanigans that go into creating those files (such as sub-pixel sampling through multiple exposures). The 24 MP trick also makes sense. You can take lower resolution color data and apply it to higher resolution monochromatic data and get the illusion of more detail without necessarily having it in the color data itself. I’m a bit curious to learn a bit more about what Apple is doing there, beyond simply combining an exposure in the 48 MP mode with an exposure in the normally debayered 12 MP mode in a process that leaves a compromise in a 24 MP image.

Reactions: Supermallet

Ryan P

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2010
My kitchen is pretty dark so it's low light. The files look identical with the main camera except for white balance. This makes sense as the cameras have the same sensor size. That's also why the 48 megapixel shot looks so bad. Same sensor as the 13Pro but now upsampling to 48 from 12. I considering setting it up to shoot 12 by default like the 13.
48MP has less processing as is RAW. There were clear differences between my 13 Pro and 14 Pro so……

Reactions: dsteve

Ryan P

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2010
They are not upsampling in software like that. They are downsampling multiple exposures from 48MP. There are countless comparisons of the differences on the internet already.

Xian Zhu Xuande

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
48MP has less processing as is RAW. There were clear differences between my 13 Pro and 14 Pro so……
If you want a relatively real “RAW” file you need to use an app, but even then, a lot of heavy-lifting goes into creating those files, and Apple ProRAW is not really RAW. A RAW file from those 48 MP sensors would debayer to 12 MP. Any color image derived from those sensors at 48 MP or 24 MP is highly dependent on computational photography.

Both the 48 MP and 12 MP “ProRAW” files are RAW in an Apple sense, but also not RAW files in a traditional sense.

If the 12 MP files “look” sharper, it is probably because local contrast introduced in Apple’s behind-the-scenes pipeline made it look sharper. Personally, I would *love* to be able to tone down the sharpening Apple bakes into these files, so I have more control over it myself. They do bake in sharpening.

(Not to crap on Apple. Their file format is better than the competition.)

Reactions: beermode

beermode

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2016
As a retired photographer and videographer, the last thing I want to do when I go on vacation is to haul a bunch of lenses and gear around.

The old saying “the best camera is the one you have” definitely still holds true. Plus, I find it enjoyable to work with the limitations of the iPhone to get creative shots even if they aren’t shot on Canon L glass and a full frame sensor.

Shooting LOG video on the Pro and grading it in post sounds like it might be worthwhile. I’ll know this weekend when I try it out.
Retired pro here as well. I like my mirrorless and my superzoom for traveling. iPhones look great on...an iPhone which is how most people digest photos. But it makes me cringe while culling in LR on a desktop. Some are okay, bright day, outdoors, etc. But wouldn't want my vacation photos exclusively shot on a phone. I also like printing photo books of vacations, so the quality must be decent, and that is tricky with a phone.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
I’m writing this piece mainly to help some users who are on the fence or not sure which way to go this year. Obviously these are my opinions and experiences. Yours might be different and I completely respect that.

I know a lot of people watch Youtube videos which want to make you believe that the newest iPhone is as good or better than an professional camera system. As someone who watched almost all of these video over the years, had every new iPhone (except the 14) and a variety of professional cameras and lenses, I can tell you it’s simply not true.

I’m a professional photographer and I ordered the base model iPhone 15 256GB. Every year since the original iPhone came out I ordered the new model on launch day, and every year I’ve been disappointed. Apple’s camera marketing is excellent and the iPhone camera is a great tool to have in your bag, but at the end of the day it’s just a phone. The differences are so minor every year that it’s never been worth it. Last year was the first year I didn’t upgrade and I’m glad I didn’t. My sister got the 14Pro Max and when I compared it to my 13 Pro the differences were so minor, I felt happy I didn’t upgrade. A lot of people didn't notice the the 13 PRO has a f1.5 lens and the 14 PRO has a f1.78 lens. Any changes made by having a larger sensor were pretty much equalized by the slower lens, hence such small differences in final image quality. But I digress. The most important thing is any time I’ve grabbed my phone to take pictures, I never enjoyed using it as a camera. That’s one thing that is crucial to myself and a lot pros is how a camera feels, and since this camera feels like a phone because it is a phone it’s really not engaging at all. I always found it very distracting to have my phone with me and trying to use it to takes images beyond casual snaps. I currently have the iPhone 13 Pro and I never used ProRaw except when I was testing it out. I didn’t find it useful for the quality of the raw files it produces and I won’t miss not having it on the regular 15. Tele-Photo lens? I also never used it and even with all Apple’s magic f2.8 on a smart phone is terrible in all but excellent light. I did use the ultra wide lens a bit and since the 15 has one I’m very happy about that. The ultra wide camera has always been a poor performer when it comes to image quality so it’s kind of a moot point to complain how awful the sensor and lens is, the images only look good small for IG. The 10Gbit USB-C port sounds great, but I only time I plug my phone into my laptop when I’m going to trade it in so I can transfer all my photos and videos. Yes it’s slow, but for something that I do once a year or two it has no value in my life. The promotional video of Apple showing Professional photographers using the 15Pro Max tethered to a computer to sell everyone on USB-C and USB3 speeds made me laugh out loud. Unless someone is being paid to do a promotion for Apple, no professional photographer is going to take out their phone in a professional studio to shoot a client. This might be obvious to me but some people might actually believe it... Please don't. The 15 is also much lighter than the 13Pro which I’m looking forward to. The fact that it can shoot up to 48 Megapixels is more than enough for the applications those photos will be used for. It’s my opinion that the base 15 is the best bang for the buck, and the money I didn’t spend on phone for features I won’t use will go towards paying for my real camera equipment and or going away to use it.

For anyone wondering why I’m even getting a 15, it’s because I need a new battery for my current phone, and I simply hate how heavy my phone is. So rather than spend $89 on a battery I rather just trade in and have a lighter phone too.
Finally I want the new wireless chip in the 15 which is the x70 for better service.

I want to point out a very important detail everyone seems to either be lying about or just not knowing. Everyone is saying the the 15 has the same camera as the 14Pro models. This is NOT true. The 15 has a F1.6 lens and the 14Pro has a 1.78lens. I don't know if the sensor size is the same but I believe it is, so in fact the 15 should produce better images than the 14Pro as it will be able to gather more light.
Suffice to say I disagree with much of the OP commentary because it misses a lot or is flat wrong. E.g. at the end he says "in fact the 15 should produce better images than the 14Pro as it will be able to gather more light" because the 15 has a slightly faster lens (f/1.6 versus f/1.78). Although it is true that ceteris paribus faster is better, all the other parameters of the camera system are much more relevant by a huge amount.

Of course "no professional photographer is going to take out their phone in a professional studio to shoot a client," but there are many, many pro image captures other than just "in a professional studio to shoot a client."

The OP says "I never used ProRaw except when I was testing it out. I didn’t find it useful ..." and although perhaps true for the OP, IMO that is not necessarily good advice to folks looking to up their image captures.

Reactions: Velin and G.T.

Xian Zhu Xuande

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
The OP says "I never used ProRaw except when I was testing it out. I didn’t find it useful ..." and although perhaps true for the OP, IMO that is not necessarily good advice to folks looking to up their image captures.
ProRAW is certainly *far* superior to capturing HEIC (the present-day stand-in for JPG). It may not be RAW, but it at least affords a lot more latitude for editing than the committed file format does (e.g. material adjustment in white balance). I find I tend to turn it on and off for different things. Sometimes it isn't needed.

It is weird to imagine someone who does editing not exploring that file format.

Reactions: Allen_Wentz

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
Might not be a bad idea to post your own thread on the issues you raise. This one's about iPhone vs dedicated cameras.
This thread is about base model iPhone camera versus iPhone Pro cameras. Of course 5 pounds and $5,000 of Nikon + lens will always produce better pix, but that does not mean that it is always appropriate to expect to have 5 pounds of $5,000 Nikon + lens + time available for the capture...

Last edited:

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
Which makes precisely no difference whatsoever to the point.
?? Clearly I do not get the point. You said "This [the thread] one's about iPhone vs dedicated cameras." I was simply saying that I think "This thread is about base model iPhone camera versus iPhone Pro cameras."

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
I was on hwy 87 between Mauriceville and Newton, Texas. I got online and looked up a light pollution map to find out where the darkest skies are that were close to where I live. I drove about 45 minutes to get to this location. There’s still some light pollution to the south as you can see, but for the most part, it’s pretty dark. Just go online and look up a light pollution chart and it’ll tell you where the darkest areas are near your location. This was a 30” night mode shot in ProRAW, then edited in Lightroom
Thanks. I will check out the low pollution chart, and hopefully can take some good pics.

Reactions: ToddH

wohstihsyrot

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2022
?? Clearly I do not get the point. You said "This [the thread] one's about iPhone vs dedicated cameras." I was simply saying that I think "This thread is about base model iPhone camera versus iPhone Pro cameras."
Hmmm..no idea why you felt the need to go back and edit your post after I replied to it but, whichever cameras are being discussed here, this thread is still no closer to being about environmental issues - which was what I was suggesting might be more appropriately discussed in a thread specifically dealing with that subject.

In short, the actual cameras being discussed had nothing to do with the point I was making about an off-topic post.

That clear enough?

Reactions: Halfpastdead

Miltz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2013
I just finished testing night mode on the main camera between the 13Pro and 15. The 15 looks worse. I guess the F1.5 aperture of the 13Pro is making the difference here compared to F1.6 on the 15. Since the sensors are the same size images quality is worse, not by a lot, but it's noticeable. I thought they would be equal because of Apple's newer processing but that's not the case. Also the 15 has no macro mode. The selfie camera is the only camera with a noticeable improvement.

Reactions: FairladyLexi

SugarDaddy

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2023
The fact that it can shoot up to 48 Megapixels is more than enough for the applications those photos will be used for. It’s my opinion that the base 15 is the best bang for the buck, and the money I didn’t spend on phone for features I won’t use will go towards paying for my real camera equipment and or going away to use it.

Update: The main Sensor in the 15 is not the same at the 14Pro. It's smaller yet still has the same megapixel count so the images look worse than the 14Pro not better.

Small sensors will never match a full size sensor regardless of the megapixel size. But, I'm certain you already know this.

StudioMacs

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2022
Retired pro here as well. I like my mirrorless and my superzoom for traveling. iPhones look great on...an iPhone which is how most people digest photos. But it makes me cringe while culling in LR on a desktop. Some are okay, bright day, outdoors, etc. But wouldn't want my vacation photos exclusively shot on a phone. I also like printing photo books of vacations, so the quality must be decent, and that is tricky with a phone.
I agree iPhone’s are great for instagram or looking back at memories on your phone. I’ve never printed an iPhone photo at 300 dpi, but it would be an interesting challenge to capture and edit the image for such a use case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.