Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
Well I called it. After some side by side tests my intuition is spot on. There is zero difference is quality between the 13Pro and the 15 with the regular lens. The 24 megapixels on the 15 Does Not resolve more detail than the 12 on the 13Pro. The Ultra Wide is worse on the 15 by a small margin which is what I predicted based on the difference in light gathering.
The weight difference is drastic which for me is important. It feels like half the weight even though it's only 33 grams lighter. Bottom Line do not upgrade for the cameras as you will be disappointed. 48 Megapixel file is a joke, it looks gross and I'm never going to use it.
I have a 13 Mini and was thinking of upgrading to the regular 15, mostly for the camera.
Would the same statement apply, in regards to the regular lens? I don't know how different the 13 Mini and 13 Pro were for the regular wide lens (the whole camera module on the 13 mini is the exact same one that's on the regular 13, and I believe is the one that was on the 12 Pro Max)--- but I was thinking that the 48mp would make a significant difference, making my phone something I might go to a bit more for landscape photography out on hikes, to avoid carrying my DSLR quite as much.
But if realistically it's not going to be a noticeable difference, then it seems not worth the upgrade since my 13 Mini is a fantastic phone and I had no other real reason to upgrade.

Ryan P

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2010
Retired pro here as well. I like my mirrorless and my superzoom for traveling. iPhones look great on...an iPhone which is how most people digest photos. But it makes me cringe while culling in LR on a desktop. Some are okay, bright day, outdoors, etc. But wouldn't want my vacation photos exclusively shot on a phone. I also like printing photo books of vacations, so the quality must be decent, and that is tricky with a phone.
I have a 13 Mini and was thinking of upgrading to the regular 15, mostly for the camera.
Would the same statement apply, in regards to the regular lens? I don't know how different the 13 Mini and 13 Pro were for the regular wide lens (the whole camera module on the 13 mini is the exact same one that's on the regular 13, and I believe is the one that was on the 12 Pro Max)--- but I was thinking that the 48mp would make a significant difference, making my phone something I might go to a bit more for landscape photography out on hikes, to avoid carrying my DSLR quite as much.
But if realistically it's not going to be a noticeable difference, then it seems not worth the upgrade since my 13 Mini is a fantastic phone and I had no other real reason to upgrade.

I do a fair bit of Landscape photography. I think the 14 Pro was a pretty big upgrade for it. You got the 48mp sensor and the RAW mode. It is definitely not as adjustable as my Sony a7R IV was, but for most shots you can do quite a bit in Lightroom.

Computational photography is going to keep improving. I think the smart phones already capture enough data to beat DSLR's, Apple just has to up their game a bit more.

Miltz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2013
If you want a noticeable difference go with the 15Pro. Do not get the standard 15. There’s other reasons to get the 15 like weight, battery, Bluetooth 5.3, new modem for better service, I’m finding the screen to be excellent. If you don’t wanna spend the money on the Pro, save the money can get a small mirrorless camera for your hikes. I never use my work gear when I go hiking.

Reactions: jm31828

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
I found this youtube video interesting. I’m not a professional photographer…but I’d say more of an enthusiast. I’m wondering for the professional photographers responding to this post….what are your thoughts on what Tony Northrup is concluding about the iPhone 15 camera’s in this video.

StudioMacs

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2022
I found this youtube video interesting. I’m not a professional photographer…but I’d say more of an enthusiast. I’m wondering for the professional photographers responding to this post….what are your thoughts on what Tony Northrup is concluding about the iPhone 15 camera’s in this video.

Never heard of him.

krebphone

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2019

Clickbait bs

StudioMacs

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2022
Awesome analysis guys’s! Take a crack at refuting him then….it should be easy given your conclusions 😉
I’m not watching a video by a random YouTuber.

If you want feedback, watch the video yourself and tell us what you found interesting about it.

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
I’m not watching a video by a random YouTuber.

If you want feedback, watch the video yourself and tell us what you found interesting about it.
Why so hostile? Then just don’t watch it then. I’ve asked for input from the professional photographers on the points this guy is making. That’s why.

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
Eh, I'm a career photographer and cinematographer and couldn't be more excited each year for the improvements however minor they may seem and think it'd be a mistake on my end to go low end. The workflow stuff this year is worth it alone - ProRes to SSD, log gamma, quick offloading over USB C for anything else, Capture One support god forbid that's needed in the event of equipment failure or a last minute pro shoot setup. 120mm optical is going to be amazing, the ability to shoot 24mp/48mp with less of a shutter lag in HEIC when necessary, etc all make it worth it even over my existing 14 Pro Max.

In my line of work we are asked to shoot iPhone for many, many gigs. Whether it be supplemental to our three main cameras at an arena concert or just because they want the iPhone vibe for an ad/commerical/social piece for more organic engagement, we're whipping out our phones often on set even when the other camera in the room is an Alexa.

And lastly, I couldn't feel more opposite in terms of enjoying it. I own Fujifilm bodies, Canon RF stuff, Sony A7rIII and A7sIII, Canon C500 Mark II, and a Ronin 4D and far and away the device I love the most for off-duty photography is my phone. You can squeeze insane quality out of it and that's part of the fun. It's simple, no fiddling with gear or carrying equipment, and the results are insane.

It's around $750 per year on the upgrade program to just always have the latest, and that's well worth it for me considering I use it a hundred times a day for all sorts of uses, and it's an indispensable tool on the job.
Are iPhone files even worthy of ProRez?

I use and have used DnxHD220x and just plain DnxHD in 8 bit. I used L lenses and huge sensors for my projects. Very few iPhone files. Strangely, Blackberry Passport files worked in a pinch for doco work back in the day. The color was way off and really had to be worked on, but the files worked and looked good on a 400 seat 40’ screen, movie theatre. And - they were not ProRes, In Avid they are upgraded to the project resolution anyway.

At the time, workflow was still DnxHd for real TV over ProRes. But that was years ago - also interlaced preferred - just saying.

Movie stuff was all Jpeg 2000 files.

StudioMacs

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2022
Why so hostile? Then just don’t watch it then. I’ve asked for input from the professional photographers on the points this guy is making. That’s why.
And as a retired professional photographer who follows the industry closely, I told you I’ve never heard of this guy. It seems like you are more interested in generating clicks for him than sharing his findings with the forum.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
Awesome analysis guys’s! Take a crack at refuting him then….it should be easy given your conclusions 😉
Sorry but all the clickbait nonsense on UTube, etc. is NOT something that even justifies watching, let alone wasting time "Take a crack at refuting him." You feel free to waste your time watching/analyzing/discussing drivel, but do not expect others to joined in the click-baiting routine.

FlyingTexan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2015
I’m writing this piece mainly to help some users who are on the fence or not sure which way to go this year. Obviously these are my opinions and experiences. Yours might be different and I completely respect that.

I know a lot of people watch Youtube videos which want to make you believe that the newest iPhone is as good or better than an professional camera system. As someone who watched almost all of these video over the years, had every new iPhone (except the 14) and a variety of professional cameras and lenses, I can tell you it’s simply not true.

I’m a professional photographer and I ordered the base model iPhone 15 256GB. Every year since the original iPhone came out I ordered the new model on launch day, and every year I’ve been disappointed.
You've been disappointed for 15years and still bought one anyway? Are a professional and expected professional quality from a phone?

• Haha
Reactions: StudioMacs

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
I do a fair bit of Landscape photography. I think the 14 Pro was a pretty big upgrade for it. You got the 48mp sensor and the RAW mode. It is definitely not as adjustable as my Sony a7R IV was, but for most shots you can do quite a bit in Lightroom.

Computational photography is going to keep improving. I think the smart phones already capture enough data to beat DSLR's, Apple just has to up their game a bit more.
I agree with most of your comment until the last bit "the smart phones already capture enough data to beat DSLR's," which is forever wrong. The optics of multiple tiny lenses in $1k smartphones will never equate to full size ILC (interchangeable lens cameras) where just one lens costs as much or much more than an entire smartphone and weighs 5-10x as much or more.

Agreed that image captures from top smartphones are now usable in all kinds of pro applications, including by me. However basic physics means smartphones will never "beat" ILC in image data, even though smartphone image captures are increasingly useful.

Last edited:

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
And as a retired professional photographer who follows the industry closely, I told you I’ve never heard of this guy. It seems like you are more interested in generating clicks for him than sharing his findings with the forum.
You got me….it’s a conspiracy theory 🙄

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
Sorry but all the clickbait nonsense on UTube, etc. is NOT something that even justifies watching, let alone wasting time "Take a crack at refuting him." You feel free to waste your time watching/analyzing/discussing drivel, but do not expect others to joined in the click-baiting routine.
So that‘s your view. We all get it. Just don’t watch it then. Why all of the hostility?

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
So that‘s your view. We all get it. Just don’t watch it then. Why all of the hostility?
Yes, I am hostile to click-baiting as a waste of bandwidth: my bandwidth, your bandwidth, internet bandwidth. Click-bait is a form of spam, and yes, just having it show up in my inbox/feed/whatever offends me.

Obviously your bandwidth is your own business, not mine.

Miltz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2013
You've been disappointed for 15years and still bought one anyway? Are a professional and expected professional quality from a phone?
There’s more than 1 reason to get a new phone than the cameras. Someone can still enjoy what the new models offer and not be happy with the cameras. Additionally I never said I expected professional quality from a phone, Apple said that, and they always over promise and under deliver.

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
I’m writing this piece mainly to help some users who are on the fence or not sure which way to go this year. Obviously these are my opinions and experiences. Yours might be different and I completely respect that.

I know a lot of people watch Youtube videos which want to make you believe that the newest iPhone is as good or better than an professional camera system. As someone who watched almost all of these video over the years, had every new iPhone (except the 14) and a variety of professional cameras and lenses, I can tell you it’s simply not true.

I’m a professional photographer and I ordered the base model iPhone 15 256GB. Every year since the original iPhone came out I ordered the new model on launch day, and every year I’ve been disappointed. Apple’s camera marketing is excellent and the iPhone camera is a great tool to have in your bag, but at the end of the day it’s just a phone. The differences are so minor every year that it’s never been worth it. Last year was the first year I didn’t upgrade and I’m glad I didn’t. My sister got the 14Pro Max and when I compared it to my 13 Pro the differences were so minor, I felt happy I didn’t upgrade. A lot of people didn't notice the the 13 PRO has a f1.5 lens and the 14 PRO has a f1.78 lens. Any changes made by having a larger sensor were pretty much equalized by the slower lens, hence such small differences in final image quality. But I digress. The most important thing is any time I’ve grabbed my phone to take pictures, I never enjoyed using it as a camera. That’s one thing that is crucial to myself and a lot pros is how a camera feels, and since this camera feels like a phone because it is a phone it’s really not engaging at all. I always found it very distracting to have my phone with me and trying to use it to takes images beyond casual snaps. I currently have the iPhone 13 Pro and I never used ProRaw except when I was testing it out. I didn’t find it useful for the quality of the raw files it produces and I won’t miss not having it on the regular 15. Tele-Photo lens? I also never used it and even with all Apple’s magic f2.8 on a smart phone is terrible in all but excellent light. I did use the ultra wide lens a bit and since the 15 has one I’m very happy about that. The ultra wide camera has always been a poor performer when it comes to image quality so it’s kind of a moot point to complain how awful the sensor and lens is, the images only look good small for IG. The 10Gbit USB-C port sounds great, but I only time I plug my phone into my laptop when I’m going to trade it in so I can transfer all my photos and videos. Yes it’s slow, but for something that I do once a year or two it has no value in my life. The promotional video of Apple showing Professional photographers using the 15Pro Max tethered to a computer to sell everyone on USB-C and USB3 speeds made me laugh out loud. Unless someone is being paid to do a promotion for Apple, no professional photographer is going to take out their phone in a professional studio to shoot a client. This might be obvious to me but some people might actually believe it... Please don't. The 15 is also much lighter than the 13Pro which I’m looking forward to. The fact that it can shoot up to 48 Megapixels is more than enough for the applications those photos will be used for. It’s my opinion that the base 15 is the best bang for the buck, and the money I didn’t spend on phone for features I won’t use will go towards paying for my real camera equipment and or going away to use it.

For anyone wondering why I’m even getting a 15, it’s because I need a new battery for my current phone, and I simply hate how heavy my phone is. So rather than spend $89 on a battery I rather just trade in and have a lighter phone too.
Finally I want the new wireless chip in the 15 which is the x70 for better service.

I want to point out a very important detail everyone seems to either be lying about or just not knowing. Everyone is saying the the 15 has the same camera as the 14Pro models. This is NOT true. The 15 has a F1.6 lens and the 14Pro has a 1.78lens. I don't know if the sensor size is the same but I believe it is, so in fact the 15 should produce better images than the 14Pro as it will be able to gather more light.

Update: The main Sensor in the 15 is not the same at the 14Pro. It's smaller yet still has the same megapixel count so the images look worse than the 14Pro not better.
I am glad to hear that non Pro iPhone 15 works for you and you are content with it. That is the most important thing.
Every individual has preferences on selecting their device type regardless if that device will work for the same purposes as others. Some of us like to have the best available device for certain purposes despite other simpler device can accomplish the same thing. It is just a matter of preference :)

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Well said OP!

I am not a pro photographer nor videographer so I am just a plain, boring, consumer that takes photos whenever I need with an iPhone.

If I want better photos, I'd take my DSLR with many lenses along..

I have the 14+ and it's more than enough for me.
My work gave me a 14PM which I think is too heavy and the battery life is not very good compared to the 14+.

This year I skipped on the 15 as I thought it should have been the 14s model.

Next year will see if I get the 16 as my 2 year free SOS satellite trial ends.

dotatoc

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2020

He hadn't used a 15 when he made this video.

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
Compare in low light. There have been several comparisons where the 15 Pro outperforms the 14 Pro with the main camera there. That is also the only improvement Apple stated at the keynote. There really is very little you can improve in good light (without changing the lenses), as the sensor is already excellent in well lit environments. The biggest improvement there is the defaulting to 24MP vs 12MP.

The 48MP is a raw mode, and works well if you intend to do a lot of pushing and pulling in post, otherwise avoid.
Superior 24mp true only for pro series. Regular 15s 24mp are equal to 12mp of previous gens. Max tech shown photos in the review and i also got to confirm it at home with both 14pm and 15pm.

Oblivion1337

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2018
UK
Couldn't argue with the statement. I am still an amateur and to quench my thirst for real camera use, phone cameras cannot make up to it. Convenience is there for occasional use but there are boundaries it could not cross.

Just pre-order Zf with 24-70mm and the 10years-ignored journey will start again.

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023

I’m a professional photographer and I ordered the base model iPhone 15 256GB. Every year since the original iPhone came out I ordered the new model on launch day, and every year I’ve been disappointed. Apple’s camera marketing is excellent and the iPhone camera is a great tool to have in your bag, but at the end of the day it’s just a phone. The differences are so minor every year that it’s never been worth it. Last year was the first year I didn’t upgrade and I’m glad I didn’t. My sister got the 14Pro Max and when I compared it to my 13 Pro the differences were so minor, I felt happy I didn’t upgrade. A lot of people didn't notice the the 13 PRO has a f1.5 lens and the 14 PRO has a f1.78 lens. Any changes made by having a larger sensor were pretty much equalized by the slower lens, hence such small differences in final image quality. But I digress. The most important thing is any time I’ve grabbed my phone to take pictures, I never enjoyed using it as a camera. That’s one thing that is crucial to myself and a lot pros is how a camera feels, and since this camera feels like a phone because it is a phone it’s really not engaging at all. I always found it very distracting to have my phone with me and trying to use it to takes images beyond casual snaps. I currently have the iPhone 13 Pro and I never used ProRaw except when I was testing it out. I didn’t find it useful for the quality of the raw files it produces and I won’t miss not having it on the regular 15. Tele-Photo lens? I also never used it and even with all Apple’s magic f2.8 on a smart phone is terrible in all but excellent light. I did use the ultra wide lens a bit and since the 15 has one I’m very happy about that. The ultra wide camera has always been a poor performer when it comes to image quality so it’s kind of a moot point to complain how awful the sensor and lens is, the images only look good small for IG. The 10Gbit USB-C port sounds great, but I only time I plug my phone into my laptop when I’m going to trade it in so I can transfer all my photos and videos. Yes it’s slow, but for something that I do once a year or two it has no value in my life. The promotional video of Apple showing Professional photographers using the 15Pro Max tethered to a computer to sell everyone on USB-C and USB3 speeds made me laugh out loud. Unless someone is being paid to do a promotion for Apple, no professional photographer is going to take out their phone in a professional studio to shoot a client. This might be obvious to me but some people might actually believe it... Please don't. The 15 is also much lighter than the 13Pro which I’m looking forward to. The fact that it can shoot up to 48 Megapixels is more than enough for the applications those photos will be used for. It’s my opinion that the base 15 is the best bang for the buck, and the money I didn’t spend on phone for features I won’t use will go towards paying for my real camera equipment and or going away to use it.

For anyone wondering why I’m even getting a 15, it’s because I need a new battery for my current phone, and I simply hate how heavy my phone is. So rather than spend $89 on a battery I rather just trade in and have a lighter phone too.
Finally I want the new wireless chip in the 15 which is the x70 for better service.

I want to point out a very important detail everyone seems to either be lying about or just not knowing. Everyone is saying the the 15 has the same camera as the 14Pro models. This is NOT true. The 15 has a F1.6 lens and the 14Pro has a 1.78lens. I don't know if the sensor size is the same but I believe it is, so in fact the 15 should produce better images than the 14Pro as it will be able to gather more light.

Update: The main Sensor in the 15 is not the same at the 14Pro. It's smaller yet still has the same megapixel count so the images look worse than the 14Pro not better.
If this or future iPhone Pro Max had a 1-inch image sensor would you be inclined to buy that?

oppo-find-x6-pro-1.jpg

Xiaomi-13-Ultra-Back.jpg

sharp-aquos-R8-pro-FI.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.