Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Android foldables right now are still the bleeding edge, meaning they are still rough on the edges. Blame it on Google who are slow in putting support for larger phone screen/foldables in Android. Right now, Samsung is just doing their own thing, and compatibility is hit and miss with apps.

This is the advantage of Apple's vertical integration. When Apple decided to put out a new hardware feature, iOS will support it and proper APIs will be put out for developers fairly quick.

Electrojake

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
Not so new Jersey
If I did get one, I would wait until the 4 is released. Thanks for your thoughts.
Yes, please for your own sanity... Wait for the ZF4. It cant possibly be worse than the current ZF3.

I'm honestly thinking that I'll upgrade to the '4' in September and force myself to actually use it this time around. If it cracks or delaminates I simply dont care. I'll write it off a complete loss and a $2000 learning experience.?

The way I see it... my new Z Fold 4 only has to survive a month or two because by then I'll have the 14 Pro Max in my hands and not have to deal with the folding circus any longer.?

i-PHone-14-Pro.jpg

Closing thoughts. . .

Johns12, This Fold & Android thing has been quite the adventure for me and I'm glad you're jumping in too.
If you like gadgetry you'll love the Z Fold.
It has the potential to be an impressive device (once they make it a little larger and a little stronger).;)
Regards,
-Jake-

Reactions: LFC2020

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
It sounds as if you're saying iOS is for everyone but when a person needs to go beyond the simple capabilities of iOS then there is Android, (which may indeed be true).

I don’t think that‘s true. Whilst added technical capabilities/freedom of the OS is certainly an appeal to many Android users, I think there are a number of reasons someone might choose Android over iOS which has nothing to do with this. For example (many of these have already been mentioned, and some overlap a bit):

1. Cost - many just can’t afford iOS devices
2. If you’re a big user of Google services you might prefer Android due to the expectation you will have a better experience with Google apps on Android.
3. If you’re a Windows user you might prefer Android due to superior integration with Windows.
4. Dislike of certain Apple practices leading to avoidance of Apple devices altogether. For example, dislike of Apple’s wall garden approach (from philosophical rather than technical perspective) or dislike of high cost of accessories.
5. Preference for greater variety of device choice
6. Preference for fingerprint biometrics over facial recognition
7. Lack of multi-user support on iOS

Electrojake

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
Not so new Jersey
I don’t think that‘s true.
1. Cost - many just can’t afford iOS devices
2. If you’re a big user of Google services you might prefer Android due to the expectation you will have a better experience with Google apps on Android.
3. If you’re a Windows user you might prefer Android due to superior integration with Windows.
4. Dislike of certain Apple practices leading to avoidance of Apple devices altogether. For example, dislike of Apple’s wall garden approach (from philosophical rather than technical perspective) or dislike of high cost of accessories.
5. Preference for greater variety of device choice
6. Preference for fingerprint biometrics over facial recognition
7. Lack of multi-user support on iOS
By the numbers. . .

1.) Understandably some youngsters cant immediately cough up $1200 for a new phone, but lets say you typically get a new phone every 36 months. Saving a mere $7.20 a week would get you a new iPhone Pro every 36 months.

2.) I've read a number of articles asking; "why do Google apps run better on iOS than on Android phones".
I cant prove it one way or the other but I've read about it.

3.) I agree. Android & Windows do integrate together very nicely.

4.) Philosophical? I dont take a political stand on the Walled Garden or Android, nor where these devices are manufactured. And cost of accesories? (see item 1 above).

5.) 100% Agreed! With Android the choices are limitless. With Apple you only get 4 phones a year and they are usually near identical to the 4 phones they released the previous year. :rolleyes:

6.) I only use a 4 digit code on all my devices so face recognition to me is a complete annoyance. The Apple 'notch' is useless & annoying IMHO. ?

7.) I have no use for multi-user anything but if I did I guess I'd use my Z Fold 3 and not my iPhone.

Than was a good post ozaz ?
All good point you bring up.
Regards,
-Jake-

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
Understandably some youngsters cant immediately cough up $1200 for a new phone, but lets say you typically get a new phone every 36 months. Saving a mere $7.20 a week would get you a new iPhone Pro every 36 months

It’s not just youngsters. There are lots of people of all ages who can’t afford iPhone prices. And for those people, there are likely more important things to save for. Even amongst those who can afford iPhone prices, there are likely many simply not willing to pay such prices for a phone.

Philosophical? I dont take a political stand on the Walled Garden or Android, nor where these devices are manufactured.

Principled is perhaps a better term for what I mean. I don’t mean political. I encounter people who avoid Apple devices because they don’t like Apple’s walled garden approach as a matter of principle (rather than because they have a technical need for more freedom).

I have no use for multi-user anything but if I did I guess I'd use my Z Fold 3 and not my iPhone.

This is more an issue for tablets than for phones

Reactions: Electrojake

PandaPunch

macrumors regular
May 4, 2015
Android is cool, I don't hate it, in fact I love a lot about it. But I'm not really thrilled by the selection of Android tablets nor do I really care about the few benefits. For example, having grown up with having to share my computer with my siblings, I hate the idea of sharing my computers with anyone. So things like user accounts is a non-issue.

On the phone side of things, phones are boring to me. Android and iOS are becoming more like each other with each new release so it boils down to smaller features that you may or may not care about. A common argument for Android is customization but all I care about is custom wallpapers and dark mode. I also don't really think Android is that much harder than iOS to use they are about equal if you aren't factoring in custom OEM skins.

Ultimately, it's best to use what is best for you, honestly, if I met someone, I'm not really going to care about what phone or laptop they use. Sometimes you use something and you don't click with it, that's fine.

Member2010

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2013
...What am I missing?
Why am I not living in paradise with all the other Android fans? Honestly... I feel cheated!

* About a third of the apps I use on my iPhone look and function like crap on my Android equipment.
* Then there are several iOS apps that simply cant be had on the Android Play Store or the Galaxy store. <frustrating>
* Most of my favorite iOS apps look so blocky and just plain shabby on my Android equipment all it does is tick me off worse!
* My iPads & iPhones could stay on for months without a reboot. It was never an issue. That's not the case with these Android devices.

I really want to be an Android fan but no matter what I try or how much cash I spend I just cant make it happen.
It seems I'm trapped in Apple's walled garden forever. ?

What you're missing is that you aren't expecting enough out of your equipment. If you expect the software to be floaty/slow, bloated-looking, and have an irritating launcher, then you'll be happy with iOS. But if you want the software to look slightly less bad, not have to go through some nonsensical ritual just to get ringtones on your phone, be able to not have to wait for grandiose animations to complete before doing stuff, and just be less irritated by your device in general, then it's time to dump iOS.

To address each of these points directly, however:
  • cross-platform apps "look and function like crap" - I've yet to see any example where this was actually the case. Every cross-platform application I've ever used either looks the same, or looks better on Android.
  • some iOS software is unavailable on Android - Again, I've yet to find a single meaningful real-world example of this. In fact, I was disappointed to find that YouTube Vanced and TI calculator emulators are absent from iOS.
  • cross-platform apps "look...blocky" - Once again, this is completely unfounded, and largely a duplicate of number 1.
  • overall device stability - This is one area where you might have a point. iOS tends to be reasonably stable, but I've found that Samsung's stock roms can run for months on end before needing a reboot. Personally, I have to reboot iOS devices typically because the battery was exhausted due to lack of use, but my Android devices need to be rebooted because some glitch developed after several months, if that tells you anything.
Finally, don't buy a device from any OEM with a folding display. Not from Samsung, Apple, or anyone else, for any price. If you must have a device that folds in half, the Surface Duo is widely respected. Don't bother with tablets either (Samsung, Apple, or otherwise). If you need portable computing that doesn't break your back, the ThinkPad X1 series does the job better than anything, and it'll have much better input devices (just avoid the ones with crappy screens).

Most importantly, remember that while Apple may have the upper hand when it comes to hardware, (best cell phone sound systems, top-shelf cameras, excellent screens, and cool vibration motor effects) the software experience clearly takes a back seat. If you can suffer through bad software and stupid looking devices, then iPhone will serve you well, but if you want a phone that looks good and works well with solid software, I can't recommend the Note 10+ enough.

Electrojake

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
Not so new Jersey
1.) I hate the idea of sharing my computers with anyone. So things like user accounts is a non-issue.
2.) On the phone side of things, phones are boring to me. Android and iOS are becoming more like each other with each new release...
3.) Ultimately, it's best to use what is best for you, honestly, if I met someone, I'm not really going to care about what phone or laptop they use.
Some points on your post PandaPunch. . .
I agree! A cell phone or tablet is more personal than a PC (personal computer) so the idea of sharing simply doesnt fly with me. A hand held device is very "personal" IMHO.

Device customization: I could care less about what fancy wallpaper is on my phone. Being raised on iOS I actually like the fact that any iOS device I pick up will be totally familiar to me.
Nice and boring... They all look & operate exactly the same. ?

From my perspective Android is steadily improving while iOS is steadily getting more and more cluttered and overloaded with gimmicks and gadgetry. :(

I've read about Apple being some sort of status symbol.
I find that hard to believe. Me and my entire family have always had Apple devices and never once did I feel it was some sort of status symbol. With a case on the phone you cant even tell what brand it is, so what's the big deal?

When my kids were little I always had the Verizon 5 phone family plan. We'd sign-up and Verizon would hand out iPhones like they were candy, so that's what we (as a family) always used.
So um yeah... Apple products a status symbol?
Eye-Dont-Know.gif

After all these years I never knew that I was flaunting a status symbol by using Apple products until I read it on the internet. ?

Electrojake

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
Not so new Jersey
I had a Note 10+ Member2010,
It is what I was using before I upgraded to my Z Fold 3. I had no problems with the Note at all. I was impressed with the quality & durability of that phone, (unlike my current POS ZF3 phone).

And I will admit that I am NOT a power user so I'm probably not realizing some of the best features of the Android operating system.
Thus the reason I dont feel locked-down in the walled garden is because at my low level of technical ability I never come up against that wall in the first place.

As for apps. . .
I still think everything looks and runs better on an iOS device.

I prefer iOS over Android by a large margin but none-the-less that wont stop me from dumping more $$$ on a new Android device in September when the new products come out.
Besides, with iOS getting more cluttered and Android steadily cleaning up their act it's getting a lot easier to bounce between my Apple & Samsung products.

Thanks for your comments Member2010 ?
Regards,
-Jake-

PandaPunch

macrumors regular
May 4, 2015
Some points on your post PandaPunch. . .
I agree! A cell phone or tablet is more personal than a PC (personal computer) so the idea of sharing simply doesnt fly with me. A hand held device is very "personal" IMHO.

Device customization: I could care less about what fancy wallpaper is on my phone. Being raised on iOS I actually like the fact that any iOS device I pick up will be totally familiar to me.
Nice and boring... They all look & operate exactly the same. ?

From my perspective Android is steadily improving while iOS is steadily getting more and more cluttered and overloaded with gimmicks and gadgetry. :(

I've read about Apple being some sort of status symbol.
I find that hard to believe. Me and my entire family have always had Apple devices and never once did I feel it was some sort of status symbol. With a case on the phone you cant even tell what brand it is, so what's the big deal?

When my kids were little I always had the Verizon 5 phone family plan. We'd sign-up and Verizon would hand out iPhones like they were candy, so that's what we (as a family) always used.
So um yeah... Apple products a status symbol?
Eye-Dont-Know.gif

After all these years I never knew that I was flaunting a status symbol by using Apple products until I read it on the internet. ?
With the status symbol thing, it totally depends on where you live. I'm in the US, where it's not uncommon for folks well below the poverty line to own Apple products partially because in the US, Apple products are either equal or only a little more expensive compared to other options. And ever since Apple released the iPhone SE line those phones regularly get marked down to mid-range Android phone prices, I got my 2020 iPhone SE for almost 50% from Cricket when my tax return came last year.

All over the world, however, Apple products seem to be much, much more expensive. If an American complains about poor people with iPhones or Macs I just laugh to myself and ignore them. If someone from say, India or Brazil points out how expensive iPhones are, I get where they are coming from and wish that wasn't the case for them.

kaardowiq

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2018
Zürich, Switzerland
For me it‘s just the whole eco system. I love how I can accept calls on any device without having my phone nearby. It can be in the bedroom, at work in the car - no worries. The watch, iPad, Mac still make it possible to accept and make calls. The same with SMS. Few years ago I forgot my phone at work when traveling to a customer in another country. Ok, that wasn’t cool without my phone but luckily I could solve all my work and coordinations without it from my business MacBook. Even all 2FA token could be received and (for some cases returned/confirmed).

This is the next big deal for me. I have to handle 2FA SMS multiple times a workday and I love how it just auto fills these ones. No worries, no list time for checking and tipping or anything else.

I love the whole iCloud. To be honest, GSuite is as good - some features are better, some not. I love Google‘s facial recognition in photos, that’s really awesome. But I don’t like how I have to deal with videos when editing them on my desktop. On my Mac I just scroll through the connected library and can just choose the desired videos. They’re all saved with storage optimization - so it just downloads the full video in the background silently.

Working with Google I need first to choose them on the web, every single one needs to be clicked and played to take a look for the content in it. Afterwards I need to download and preorder them within the filesystem for further editing. Next I need to take care to not run out of disk space…

I’d love to see a native Google Photos app for Mac, Linux and Windows.

Next problem for Android is the service handling… unlimited photos, unlimited space in GSuite Business, canceled free version of Google Apps for Busiensss (the free version of GSuite years ago) and so many other great things that I have trust issues in dealing with Google products. Free times are over, now the money making years are coming. All products are well applied, so there’s no need to catch users with free services anymore. Probably the same way it suddenly came to the stop for YT Vanced App.

When it comes to the operating systems, I thing both are going to be more equal from year to year. Android gets more closed while iOS more open… Android makes more use of containered apps, scoped filesystem while iOS adapts more open usage with shortcuts, automations, nfc usage etc. I think the iPad OS features like splitscreen, multiple apps at the same time etc would be a great deal breaker for iOS - especially for the Mac models.

But here we go, everyone has the choose… it just depends on you.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Meh. First world problems.
I spent my fledgling smartphone life with iPhones. I had 4 of them in succession but then got bored and tried Android. Sure some apps are crap but most aren't. There are some Android apps that aren't available on iOS and vice versa. Find an alternative.

As for having $3k of Android-based hardware...sell it and move on. Life's too short. Stick to iPhones and all your problems will fade away.

Electrojake

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
Not so new Jersey
As for having $3k of Android-based hardware...sell it and move on. Life's too short. Stick to iPhones and all your problems will fade away.
The more I use the new Samsung Tab 8+ the more I like it. It's been a refreshing break from my 12.9" iPad Pro.
So the lesson I've learned is that Android (when used on the right device) is pretty sharp! :)

It's just unfortunate that the Z Fold 3 was such a dud. :(
Even if I could run iOS on my ZF3 I doubt it would give me much motivation to actually use the thing.
The fold is an exciting concept but in actual use its just too awkward in every conceivable way.

Thanks for your thoughts on this sunking101 ?
Regards,
-Jake-

Reactions: sunking101

SouthernFried

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2022
I believe in trying out different brands/products to form your own opinion. Years ago, after having had several iPhones, I decided to give Android a shot. I run out and buy a brand new Galaxy S7. I imagine it was 1k at the time or close to it. I come home with it and in 10 minutes I discover a small blue blip on the screen. Lemon, I guess? I return it for another S7 and go home happy. About a year goes by and that phone goes completely kaput. Just shuts off plain dead. Wanting to give these “amazing” Samsung devices another shot, I then run out and buy a Galaxy S8+ (Another high-dollar flagship). This phone panned out a bit better, but after 1.5 years the battery was literally ABYSMAL. Here I am now with an XR that at 2.5 years of use, the battery life is still at 90%. I just believe Apple makes a better quality product. That’s my experience. 3 iPhones = zero problems. 2 Androids = both a problem. That’s real-world experience right there. Factor that in with the fact that iOS is simply smoother on top of all that? iPhone wins every time. My 2 cents? Dump your Android devices.

Electrojake

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
Not so new Jersey
I believe in trying out different brands/products to form your own opinion. Years ago, after having had several iPhones, I decided to give Android a shot... ...I just believe Apple makes a better quality product. That’s my experience. 3 iPhones = zero problems. 2 Androids = both a problem. That’s real-world experience right there. Factor that in with the fact that iOS is simply smoother on top of all that? iPhone wins every time. My 2 cents? Dump your Android devices.
I wouldnt go so far as to "dump all Android devices" but the longevity of iOS based products is unmatched.
I have an iPhone 6S+ running iOS 15.4 that I carry in preference over my new Z Fold 3.

I'm starting to look at the new Folding Phones the way I looked at Chromebooks when they first hit the market...
It seemed like such a great idea but in real world practice it just faded.
I've owned two Chromebooks over the years and they functioned fine but ended up collection dust just like my Z Fold 3.

acer-chromebook.jpg

I buy all these varied products and have learned that once their novelty wears off I end up reaching for my Apple devices to get me through the day.
Not very exciting but they just work and seem to run forever! :apple:

ipad-iphone-pic-0001.jpg

Reactions: SouthernFried

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I believe in trying out different brands/products to form your own opinion. Years ago, after having had several iPhones, I decided to give Android a shot. I run out and buy a brand new Galaxy S7. I imagine it was 1k at the time or close to it. I come home with it and in 10 minutes I discover a small blue blip on the screen. Lemon, I guess? I return it for another S7 and go home happy. About a year goes by and that phone goes completely kaput. Just shuts off plain dead. Wanting to give these “amazing” Samsung devices another shot, I then run out and buy a Galaxy S8+ (Another high-dollar flagship). This phone panned out a bit better, but after 1.5 years the battery was literally ABYSMAL. Here I am now with an XR that at 2.5 years of use, the battery life is still at 90%. I just believe Apple makes a better quality product. That’s my experience. 3 iPhones = zero problems. 2 Androids = both a problem. That’s real-world experience right there. Factor that in with the fact that iOS is simply smoother on top of all that? iPhone wins every time. My 2 cents? Dump your Android devices.
I have had exactly the opposite experience.
iPhone 4 - screen developed a yellow patch after approx one year of use. The battery also degraded quickly.
iphone 5 - screen developed a yellow patch after approx one year of use.
iPhone 6 Plus - an appalling lack of RAM causing frequent screen freezing and device freezing along with a constant reloading/refreshing of apps and browser tabs.

The two SONY and two Samsung Android phones that I have owned since have performed admirably and suffered no hardware faults. The batteries have also lasted very well indeed...

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2021
I use Android for years and comparing to iPad or iPhone, Android devices are just crap in general, and Samsung is super overpriced poor build quality crap. I had different kinds of Samsung products and every single kind like monitor, door lock all are crap quality. If you want nightmare like lock yourself in an apartment and need to use tool to manually fix an internal part of electronic door, use Samsung!

Electrojake

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
Not so new Jersey
The only Apple device I ever came across that was complete crap, (an abomination of Apple quality), was my iPhone-X. As a formerly happy Apple fan it was the iPhone-X that pushed me over to an Android device in the first place.:mad:
(BTW, I had two iPhone-X's and they were both plagued with malfunctions).

I also gained a hatred for Face ID and a mild paranoia of anything without a Home Button but am currently in therapy for that...

shock-treatment-6-0001.jpg

As for Samsung...
The only Android device I ever owned that was complete crap is my Z Fold 3.
What a complete miss! ?
Crap ergonomics, screen failures for no reason, asinine inner & outer screen dimensions, etc...
What the hell were they thinking when they released the Fold series on us?

Closing thoughts:
I know it doesn't help this thread any but I find complaining about my POS Z Fold 3 very soothing.?
It also helps me to understand that Android in itself is not so bad if it is used on a good device.

So there you have it...
iPhone-X and Z Fold 3, two complete pieces of garbage that were released on us by reputable technology companies.

garbage-stlouiscountymn-gov.jpg

I guess every company has their occasional disasters, even the big boys like Apple & Samsung.
No harm, no foul, it's just Big Business in action. ?

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
The only Apple device I ever came across that was complete crap, (an abomination of Apple quality), was my iPhone-X. As a formerly happy Apple fan it was the iPhone-X that pushed me over to an Android device in the first place.:mad:
(BTW, I had two iPhone-X's and they were both plagued with malfunctions).

I also gained a hatred for Face ID and a mild paranoia of anything without a Home Button but am currently in therapy for that...

shock-treatment-6-0001.jpg

As for Samsung...
The only Android device I ever owned that was complete crap is my Z Fold 3.
What a complete miss! ?
Crap ergonomics, screen failures for no reason, asinine inner & outer screen dimensions, etc...
What the hell were they thinking when they released the Fold series on us?

Closing thoughts:
I know it doesn't help this thread any but I find complaining about my POS Z Fold 3 very soothing.?
It also helps me to understand that Android in itself is not so bad if it is used on a good device.

So there you have it...
iPhone-X and Z Fold 3, two complete pieces of garbage that were released on us by reputable technology companies.

garbage-stlouiscountymn-gov.jpg

I guess every company has their occasional disasters, even the big boys like Apple & Samsung.
No harm, no foul, it's just Big Business in action. ?
Your constant trivial and far from accurate bickering about the Fold 3 is simply a factor of your poor choice of product to fit your needs :rolleyes:

The whole point of buy and return period is so we do not have to read about your mistake disguised as an OEM's

It's perfectly fine that you do not like the F3 and we all make purchasing mistakes but that does not mean it's a bad product, just not for you

Electrojake

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
Not so new Jersey
Your constant trivial and far from accurate bickering about the Fold 3 is simply a factor of your poor choice of product to fit your needs :rolleyes:
The whole point of buy and return period is so we do not have to read about your mistake disguised as an OEM's
It's perfectly fine that you do not like the F3 and we all make purchasing mistakes but that does not mean it's a bad product, just not for you
I'm not a "buy & return" type of person.
If the product was defective upon delivery I might have a case, but to return it simply because it doesn't agree with me or my taste is a pretty trashy move in my opinion. I simply do not operate that way.

Your point about me not liking the ZF3 doesn't mean its a bad product does make good sense. I'm in agreement with you on that but... it's not my fault that folding screen failures can happen even without a drop or any specific reason thus rendering the phone near useless.
Samsung is well aware that screen cracks are running rampant on these phones to the point that they have set up a special cracked screen repair program. Thus one must understand that there is a difference between a phone that doesn't fit my needs and a defective device.

I took a chance on some cutting edge technology and got burnt.
Come to think about it... If the iPhone-X wasn't such a defective junkbox I never would have went to an Android phone in the first place. :rolleyes:

meh... My ZF3 is spotless and has near ZERO run hours on it (since using it is a recipe for disaster) so hopefully I can get a few hundred dollars trade-in value from Samsung in September on a new ZF4.
I doubt a big company like Samsung could possibly launch two losers in a row so I figure the ZF4 will actually be useable.
Like Apple, the iPhone-X was an abomination of technology but the 11, 12, & 13 were fine.

Thanks for your post SteveJUAE, it was a good read. ?

Last edited:

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I wouldnt go so far as to "dump all Android devices" but the longevity of iOS based products is unmatched.
I have an iPhone 6S+ running iOS 15.4 that I carry in preference over my new Z Fold 3.

I'm starting to look at the new Folding Phones the way I looked at Chromebooks when they first hit the market...
It seemed like such a great idea but in real world practice it just faded.
I've owned two Chromebooks over the years and they functioned fine but ended up collection dust just like my Z Fold 3.

acer-chromebook.jpg

I buy all these varied products and have learned that once their novelty wears off I end up reaching for my Apple devices to get me through the day.
Not very exciting but they just work and seem to run forever! :apple:

ipad-iphone-pic-0001.jpg
If you don’t care about having the latest software then android devices can chug along for years. My husband has a galaxy note 8 from 2017 and a pixel 2 xl from 2017. They both still work and are good enough for him. He doesn’t care that they aren’t running the latest version of android.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
If you don’t care about having the latest software then android devices can chug along for years. My husband has a galaxy note 8 from 2017 and a pixel 2 xl from 2017. They both still work and are good enough for him. He doesn’t care that they aren’t running the latest version of android.
In reality, there's really not much of a jump nor huge improvements on every new Android version since, I don't know, Android 10? I mean Google used themes as one of the tent poles for Android 12, as if that's a huge thing (most OEM skins have allowed themes for years).

The concern is security patches, with most OEMs only provided 2 years worth of quarterly security patches since that's the minimum for Android certification, which imo is not enough considering phones have become the main computer for most people.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
In reality, there's really not much of a jump nor huge improvements on every new Android version since, I don't know, Android 10? I mean Google used themes as one of the tent poles for Android 12, as if that's a huge thing (most OEM skins have allowed themes for years).

The concern is security patches, with most OEMs only provided 2 years worth of quarterly security patches since that's the minimum for Android certification, which imo is not enough considering phones have become the main computer for most people.
True but a lot of people just don’t care. My husband and dad being one of them. If the hardware works for them then they don’t see the point of updating.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

Johns12

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2008
True but a lot of people just don’t care. My husband and dad being one of them. If the hardware works for them then they don’t see the point of updating.
I'm like your husband. Using a Note 8 and it still works great. The battery is starting to degrade so I'll probably make a change this year, but my Note still does everything I need it to do.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I'm not a "buy & return" type of person.
If the product was defective upon delivery I might have a case, but to return it simply because it doesn't agree with me or my taste is a pretty trashy move in my opinion. I simply do not operate that way.

Your point about me not liking the ZF3 doesn't mean its a bad product does make good sense. I'm in agreement with you on that but... it's not my fault that folding screen failures can happen even without a drop or any specific reason thus rendering the phone near useless.
Samsung is well aware that screen cracks are running rampant on these phones to the point that they have set up a special cracked screen repair program.

I took a chance on some cutting edge technology and got burnt.
Come to think about it... If the iPhone-X wasn't such a defective junkbox I never would have went to an Android phone in the first place. :rolleyes:

meh... My ZF3 is spotless and has near ZERO run hours on it (since using it is a recipe for disaster) so hopefully I can get a few hundred dollars trade-in value from Samsung in September on a new ZF4.
I doubt a big company like Samsung could possibly launch two losers in a row so I figure the ZF4 will actually be useable.
Like Apple, the iPhone-X was an abomination of technology but the 11, 12, & 13 were fine.

Thanks for your post SteveJUAE, it was a good read. ?
This is just more self inflicted rhetoric . You haven't been burnt, ripped off etc etc you just do not like the footprint/format of the FOLD and that's fine, else the innards/OS is no different in principle to the Note that you like that you at least used and not left in a draw.

What rampant screen cracks, based on your metrics as all good OEM's have repair schemes this makes eg Apple glass backs and screens or batteries all defective and trash products because they have scheme. Instead of embracing Samsung move to include better repair converge,where Apple are only to pleased to charge you for AppleCare, you see it negatively :rolleyes:

Sorry I get its not for you but to come up with such conclusions based on your poor choice to suit your needs is not Samsung fault, nor is their fault that 3rd party cases do not fit etc. All I see from your posting is self inflicted grief being blamed on others LOL

Just trade it in and get a S22U and enjoy an even better Note like experience :)

• Haha
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.