Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Electrojake

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
Not so new Jersey
FWIW. . .
I use my iPhone 6S+ constantly while my iPhone-X and my Z Fold 3 sit and collect dust.
This Fall I'll have an iPhone 14 ProMax and a new ZF4 collecting dust in my desk while I'll very possibly still be rocking my tired old 6S+ ?

Come to think of it...
If an iPhone SE came in a MAX size all this phone madness would probably end.
scratching_chin.gif

And BTW, SteveJUAE, Your S22 advice makes good sense. ?
Since I have little use for a stylus or fancy cameras I have indeed thought about trading my ZF3 for an S22+ rather than waiting for the new ZF4.

In the back of my mind I just keep hoping that there will be a news flash from Samsung that says; "we fixed the cracking screen issue on our fold phones with a new UTG material that isn't crack-happy!"

I'd really rather have a new Fold than just another slab phone but what good would a new ZF4 be if it had the exact same UTG screen issues that the ZF3 currently has? ?
Man, this is difficult. ?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: alien3dx

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles

FWIW. . .
I use my iPhone 6S+ constantly while my iPhone-X and my Z Fold 3 sit and collect dust.
This Fall I'll have an iPhone 14 ProMax and a new ZF4 collecting dust in my desk while I'll very possibly still be rocking my tired old 6S+ ?

Come to think of it...
If an iPhone SE came in a MAX size all this phone madness would probably end.
scratching_chin.gif

And BTW, SteveJUAE, Your S22 advice makes good sense. ?
Since I have little use for a stylus or fancy cameras I have indeed thought about trading my ZF3 for an S22+ rather than waiting for the new ZF4.

In the back of my mind I just keep hoping that there will be a news flash from Samsung that says; "we fixed the cracking screen issue on our fold phones with a new UTG material that isn't crack-happy!"

I'd really rather have a new Fold than just another slab phone but what good would a new ZF4 be if it had the exact same UTG screen issues that the ZF3 currently has? ?
Man, this is difficult. ?
I am not sure why you think you only have to look at the ZF3 and it cracks, there is negligible reporting of widespread issues even on ZF1 let alone ZF3 and sales have only got stronger

Why not put it too the test yourself than leaving it in your draw, else get the S22 :)

Reactions: Electrojake

Electrojake

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
Not so new Jersey
I am not sure why you think you only have to look at the ZF3 and it cracks, there is negligible reporting of widespread issues even on ZF1 let alone ZF3 and sales have only got stronger
Why not put it too the test yourself than leaving it in your draw, else get the S22 :)
Ya' know SteveJUAE... That is pretty much my plan with the ZF4!
Thumbup19-1.gif

When I get the new ZF4 I plan to use it as my daily carry phone. If it fails I dont care.
No more screen-crack paranoia for me!
I'm done being terrified of my own communications device. . .
Nervous-Man-Anxiety.jpg

And if by chance my new ZF4 does self-destruct I'll simply come here to MacRumors and complain a little and then just switch back to my iPhone.
Then perhaps this whole circus will finally be over.
And as always, thank you for your contributions to the thread. ?

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I had the fold 2 and now have the fold 3 I have had no issues with anything related to the screen. I also plan to keep the fold 3 for as long possible. my plan isn't to trade it in after a year as I don't see enough that would tempt me right now based on rumours

Electrojake

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
Not so new Jersey
I respect your courage TG161. ?
But I'm still not touching my ZF3.
However, when the new ZF4 arrives my attitude will be; "I simply dont care anymore!"
I'll use it and when (or if) it breaks I can give to one of my kids to play with or tear apart as a science experiment.?

Besides, at that point in time I'll have a new ProMAX as my backup device...
...and SIM cards are mighty easy to swap from phone to phone. ;)

Healer Flame

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2019
As a lifelong iOS user I decided a few years ago that I would swap my iPhone-X for a Samsung Note 10+ and give Android a try. I was impressed with with the Samsung hardware, and the Android based OS didn't seem too terribly bad.

After several months of forcing myself to use the Note 10+ I grew weary and went back to my old iPhone.

Last year I took a deep breath and in an attempt to once again switch from iOS to Android I dumped $1,800 on a Samsung Z Fold 3. Very cool phone and it was nice to see how much Android had improved since my Note 10+

But alas, the ZF3 with its clumsy ergonomics, folding screen cracks running rampant, and two different weird screen sizes that fit absolutely nothing I found myself going back to my old iPhone. :(
Now my big dollar Z Fold 3 sits in my desk drawer collecting dust while my old iPhone is once again my daily workhorse.

So now in a desperate attempt to prove that Android is wonderful and the real problem is "me" I dumped another pile of money on a Galaxy Tab S8+ with a bunch of accessories.
Galaxy-Tab-S8-0001.jpg

Come on man. . .
All those Android fanboys cant possibly be wrong!

Come-On-Man.gif

So now I have close to 3 grand tied up in the latest Samsung hardware & gadgets...
...and still, I'm relying on an old iPhone 6S+ to get the job done.:rolleyes:

What am I missing?
Why am I not living in paradise with all the other Android fans? Honestly... I feel cheated!

* About a third of the apps I use on my iPhone look and function like crap on my Android equipment.
* Then there are several iOS apps that simply cant be had on the Android Play Store or the Galaxy store. <frustrating>
* Most of my favorite iOS apps look so blocky and just plain shabby on my Android equipment all it does is tick me off worse!
* My iPads & iPhones could stay on for months without a reboot. It was never an issue. That's not the case with these Android devices.

I really want to be an Android fan but no matter what I try or how much cash I spend I just cant make it happen.
It seems I'm trapped in Apple's walled garden forever. ?
Apple-walled-garden-0001.jpg

I'm open for any advice from the crew here on what I'm doing wrong.
Thanks... and sorry for the long self-serving post.

I am exactly the reverse of all whats written here ?

☆iTunes is a pain, slow and not friendly
☆ios is too bossy and won't let you customise your phone or ipad
☆Hundreds applications I enjoy in Android can't find them in ios ..

Electrojake

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
Not so new Jersey
I'll admit...
iOS has its shortcomings, and there are a few apps available on Android that cant be had on iOS... but iOS apps far out shine anything Android has to offer as far as "fit & feel".

All apps look & run better on an iPhone than their blocky (shabby?) Android version.
Just sayin' ?

Reactions: LFC2020

Healer Flame

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2019
I'll admit...
iOS has its shortcomings, and there are a few apps available on Android that cant be had on iOS... but iOS apps far out shine anything Android has to offer as far as "fit & feel".

All apps look & run better on an iPhone than their blocky (shabby?) Android version.
Just sayin' ?

You can enjoy free themes , icons and wallpapers in Galaxy store

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-04-04_172431.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-04-04_172431.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 84

jeffpeng

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2021
I don't need a workaround for things I use daily. It is a more enjoyable overall user experience for me.
THIS basically sums up all the arguments when it comes to iOS vs Android, or when it comes to MacOS vs Windows.

Having to use weird, cumbersome, unintuitive tricks to work around shortcoming in areas that actually should "just" work is tiresome as hell, and at some point you just don't want to anymore. That's pretty much the entire premise Apple is selling their "overpriced" products on: They just work (far more often than what the other guys are selling).

Flashing amazing and impressive features is great to get first time customers. But if you want returning customers (at this point Apple is basically just selling to its own audience) your product better works, works reliably and works conveniently.

That's also the reason there is such an outcry every time something doesn't work with an Apple product - simply because it usually does. On Windows you don't even complain about having to reinstall your PC annually - that's just how it works.

• Haha
Reactions: xRem

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
Not sure how to said , i used both android and ios

The most reason i used iphone because i'm lazy and keychain hehe. U can used 1Password or other but it just my choice.
Android got more battery power then iphone but i rarely call these day. If i call everyday my combo is NOKIA phone(dumb phone) cum apple ipad.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
THIS basically sums up all the arguments when it comes to iOS vs Android, or when it comes to MacOS vs Windows.

Having to use weird, cumbersome, unintuitive tricks to work around shortcoming in areas that actually should "just" work is tiresome as hell, and at some point you just don't want to anymore. That's pretty much the entire premise Apple is selling their "overpriced" products on: They just work (far more often than what the other guys are selling).

Flashing amazing and impressive features is great to get first time customers. But if you want returning customers (at this point Apple is basically just selling to its own audience) your product better works, works reliably and works conveniently.

That's also the reason there is such an outcry every time something doesn't work with an Apple product - simply because it usually does. On Windows you don't even complain about having to reinstall your PC annually - that's just how it works.
Think your getting mixed up with myth vs familiarity LOL

If there was a modicum of truth in your premise then these forums on MR would be dull but the fact is it's littered with 100,000's of post contra to what your believe.

Don't forget the world is dominated by Windows and Android for many good reasons

Apple are successful no doubt to the market they target but all platforms have good repeat customers because of familiarity far more than what you suggest :)

Electrojake

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
Not so new Jersey
Why? Maybe I need to re-read the thread, but it seems to me you bought the device just to try re-try Android, in which case a slab phone would have been adequate. It's not clear why you feel you need a folding device.
1.) I wanted that rush of joy I heard about when switching from iOS to Android.
(but it never happened)
Thus I think you are right ozaz. ?
Being disenchanted with the ZF3 should be no reason for me to be down on the Android OS.

2.) I over reacted in a lot of my negative statements about the ZF3 because I know Samsung could have done better.
*Make the phone (and the screens) wider.
*Invent a UTG screen material that does NOT crack at will.
*Come up with a screen cover material that does NOT delaminate so easily.

3.) In retrospect the correct title for this thread should have been: I'm a ZF3 Failure.
Honestly, I cant blame Google (the Android OS) for Samsung's hardware botchery.

And ozaz, to answer your question... I dont need a folding device at all.
Unfortunately it cost me $1800 (and 3 month of incompetent bumbling) to figure that out.
buck-tooth.gif

As mentioned in an earlier post... I'm going to trade up to a Z Fold 4 in September and force myself to use it as my daily carry phone. ?
Either the ZF4 will break down or I will break down and go back to my wonderful iPhone.

At this point it's just a matter of which one of us will "crack" first, me or the damn phone. ?

Reactions: ozaz

jeffpeng

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2021
Think your getting mixed up with myth vs familiarity LOL

If there was a modicum of truth in your premise then these forums on MR would be dull but the fact is it's littered with 100,000's of post contra to what your believe.

Don't forget the world is dominated by Windows and Android for many good reasons

Apple are successful no doubt to the market they target but all platforms have good repeat customers because of familiarity far more than what you suggest :)
I work with windows and android on a daily basis by pure necessity of testing and compatibility assurance. I’ve daily driven windows for half a decade professionally, and have built, tested and brought to production android for digital signage devices. Familiarity is not the issue. The issue is that especially windows fails to present a cohesive and accessible interface on both the application and operating system side, and that „simple“ things that work out of the box on MacOS require tedious setup if they are possible at all, not even talking about cross device integration.

And sure there’s a reason Android and Windows rule the world. They’re cheap and can be had on devices that are far less expensive whilst often being superior in some or many metrics, and since they have a far higher market penetration because of that the availability of applications is naturally much greater , which is something apple is not helping by introducing proprietary standards and artificial distribution hurdles.

If familiarity was the only factor how then do you explain iPhones gaining more market share each year? I don’t believe it’s because apple is selling superior devices, which in many metrics they are not, nor that apple is winning any value proposition. So it must have something to do with their customer retention being higher.

Finally there is ample opportunity and necessity to criticise apple while at the same time having good reasons to prefer their approach how devices should work. Most of the 100s of thousands you are citing are on these forums not because they are repeat customers of Android or Windows, but keep buying their apple stuff despite all the things they despise about them - simply because they are less hideous than the alternative.

Electrojake

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
Not so new Jersey
Most of the 100s of thousands you are citing are on these forums not because they are repeat customers of Android or Windows, but keep buying their apple stuff despite all the things they despise about them - simply because they are less hideous than the alternative.
That last part had me laughing... a good point and excellent word choice on that.
thumbsup.gif

Thanks for your thoughts on all this.

Reactions: jeffpeng

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I work with windows and android on a daily basis by pure necessity of testing and compatibility assurance. I’ve daily driven windows for half a decade professionally, and have built, tested and brought to production android for digital signage devices. Familiarity is not the issue. The issue is that especially windows fails to present a cohesive and accessible interface on both the application and operating system side, and that „simple“ things that work out of the box on MacOS require tedious setup if they are possible at all, not even talking about cross device integration.

And sure there’s a reason Android and Windows rule the world. They’re cheap and can be had on devices that are far less expensive whilst often being superior in some or many metrics, and since they have a far higher market penetration because of that the availability of applications is naturally much greater , which is something apple is not helping by introducing proprietary standards and artificial distribution hurdles.

If familiarity was the only factor how then do you explain iPhones gaining more market share each year? I don’t believe it’s because apple is selling superior devices, which in many metrics they are not, nor that apple is winning any value proposition. So it must have something to do with their customer retention being higher.

Finally there is ample opportunity and necessity to criticise apple while at the same time having good reasons to prefer their approach how devices should work. Most of the 100s of thousands you are citing are on these forums not because they are repeat customers of Android or Windows, but keep buying their apple stuff despite all the things they despise about them - simply because they are less hideous than the alternative.
Your getting mixed up again LOL

I simply noted familiarity was a far greater reason than your premise of they "just work" encourages more repeat customers

As I already noted these forums would be empty if Apple products "just work" it has nothing to do with Android or Windows :rolleyes:

Apple owners continue to be slapped in the face by Apples tactics simply and stick with it (like it or lump it policy) because of familiarity along with Apples stealth entrapment of the walled garden and multiple device dependency. Which is very clever of them. Users will try and ride it out as its far easier option in the wealthier demographic Apple
target ie they rely on general complacency of this group and existing financial commitment and/or of interdependent devices and subscriptions etc that discourages opting out

Apple like any good company needs to continue to grow especially as large portions of their business model is not just hardware sales that reach saturation points if you do not expand in to other countries. Apple are bending over backwards to encourage more sales in territories they have ignored for years. This is the primary growth your seeing not an increase in repeat customers LOL

jeffpeng

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2021
Apple like any good company needs to continue to grow especially as large portions of their business model is not just hardware sales that reach saturation points if you do not expand in to other countries. Apple are bending over backwards to encourage more sales in territories they have ignored for years. This is the primary growth your seeing not an increase in repeat customers LOL
If we take just the US market apple is growing iPhone market share bordering monopoly levels despite iPhone users having longer average holding times of their devices.

Also: you do not add credence to your arguments by prefacing and signing them with „LOL“. But I’m glad you are feeling entertained.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
If we take just the US market apple is growing iPhone market share bordering monopoly levels despite iPhone users having longer average holding times of their devices.
I don't see how Apple has a near monopoly on the US market? Apple's iOS devices are bundled with iPhones and iPad's whereas there really isn't much in the way of Android tablets. That's where Apple has a large marketshare and that's because Google got out of the tablet business.

On a global scale, Google as of 2021 had a 72% marketshare vs Apple's devices. Apple has a little over 50% US marketshare. I wouldn't call that a near monopoly. OTOH, it could be argued that on a global scale, Google has a near monopoly at close to 72% marketshare.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

jeffpeng

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2021
I don't see how Apple has a near monopoly on the US market? Apple's iOS devices are bundled with iPhones and iPad's whereas there really isn't much in the way of Android tablets. That's where Apple has a large marketshare and that's because Google got out of the tablet business.

On a global scale, Google as of 2021 had a 72% marketshare vs Apple's devices. Apple has a little over 50% US marketshare. I wouldn't call that a near monopoly. OTOH, it could be argued that on a global scale, Google has a near monopoly at close to 72% marketshare.

If you look at revenue those 50% are much exaggerated. And at least I learned that having two thirds of the market is a quasi monopoly. But yeah, globally Android has a very firm grip on the market. My point is: numbers in the US are rising steadily. So where cost is less of a factor in sales iOS is gaining market share despite declining overall sales.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles

Also: you do not add credence to your arguments by prefacing and signing them with „LOL“. But I’m glad you are feeling entertained.
LOL,

Sorry ish 50% is not a monopoly in anyone's books, yes Apple has grown its share over the last 10 years but now in decline marginally according to this :

But sure keep us entertained with more in accuracies and bizarre assumptions and I will keep LOL'g :D

Member2010

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2013
I had a Note 10+ Member2010,
It is what I was using before I upgraded to my Z Fold 3. I had no problems with the Note at all. I was impressed with the quality & durability of that phone, (unlike my current POS ZF3 phone).

And I will admit that I am NOT a power user so I'm probably not realizing some of the best features of the Android operating system.
Thus the reason I dont feel locked-down in the walled garden is because at my low level of technical ability I never come up against that wall in the first place.

As for apps. . .
I still think everything looks and runs better on an iOS device.

I prefer iOS over Android by a large margin but none-the-less that wont stop me from dumping more $$$ on a new Android device in September when the new products come out.
Besides, with iOS getting more cluttered and Android steadily cleaning up their act it's getting a lot easier to bounce between my Apple & Samsung products.

Thanks for your comments Member2010 ?
Regards,
-Jake-

I'm not sure I necessarily buy that. My demand for hardware and software that looks good and works easily/naturally trumps technical ability. I prefer Android because it is fast, intuitive, and easy to use; not because it isn't. Even something as basic as adding a ringtone requires a lot of unnatural steps in iOS, (including special software) but basically "just works" when using Android. As a technically-inclined user, I actually have less patience for stuff that is annoying, difficult to use, or requiring of extra steps to accomplish basic tasks.

As it relates to software quality, I've yet to see even a single example where a cross-platform application looks or works better on iOS than on Android.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
I'm not sure I necessarily buy that. My demand for hardware and software that looks good and works easily/naturally trumps technical ability. I prefer Android because it is fast, intuitive, and easy to use; not because it isn't. Even something as basic as adding a ringtone requires a lot of unnatural steps in iOS, (including special software) but basically "just works" when using Android. As a technically-inclined user, I actually have less patience for stuff that is annoying, difficult to use, or requiring of extra steps to accomplish basic tasks.

As it relates to software quality, I've yet to see even a single example where a cross-platform application looks or works better on iOS than on Android.
I tend to agree with that. I applaud Apple for designing beautiful and eye catching phones but Android works best for me especially phones made and designed by Google. There isn't anything on iOS that I think does a better job than Android.

Chrome is better than Safari
GMaps much better than Apple Maps
Google Assistant much better than Siri (actually no contest)
Google Call Screener (Apple has no such product)
Google Play Store vs iOS firmware updates (I like not waiting for new features in Google's core apps instead of waiting for Apple to include them with new firmware updates)

Now if you go over to the newly released thread there you'll find the same tired comments as to why anyone would want Android. They find all kind of faults with Android without batting an eye for faults within iOS.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
If I've said it once, I've said it a million times. Any long time iPhone user switching to Android should ONLY jump to a Google Pixel first to test the waters, definitely not Samsung.

Now once your comfortable with the glorious fantastic stock Android, then maybe try out Samsung or the other Android manufacturers if you want something different.

But iOS users going to Android should pick the latest Pixel phone first and see what it's like.

Reactions: BMox81
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.