Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
If I've said it once, I've said it a million times. Any long time iPhone user switching to Android should ONLY jump to a Google Pixel first to test the waters, definitely not Samsung.

Now once your comfortable with the glorious fantastic stock Android, then maybe try out Samsung or the other Android manufacturers if you want something different.

But iOS users going to Android should pick the latest Pixel phone first and see what it's like.
Completely disagree. The Google Pixel 6 is a hot mess of bugs, to the point that even MKBHD is not recommending it. Worse, Google only sell the Pixel phones in a very few countries. On the contrary, a regular Samsung phone (not the foldables as they're bleeding edge) are great option, especially since Samsung OneUI has more features than stock Android. The A53 is a great balance between value and spec, especially with Samsung promising 4 Android upgrades, which is longer than the Pixel.

kaardowiq

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2018
Zürich, Switzerland
I'm on the same boat as @ian87w. I think Samsung is the best alternative to iPhone with the S lineup. It brings long term updates, top notch quality in hardware specs on a high end device with a great customized Android version where iOS users may feel happy. OneUI provides the needed and missing features of vanilla Android. I think the only issue is the stock rom with the preinstalled apps. Except of some nerds, a casual user won't understand why there're multiple apps of email (Samsung mail, gmail), Photos (Google photos, Samsung photos), Storage (Google Drive, Samsung Drive and directly after unboxing and updating it describes how to upgrade to One Drive), as well of calendar etc. I think this is the biggest pain - the regular user doesn't know which app belongs to which ecosystem. On Mac and iOS it is immediately clear - iCloud and everything can directly be used on any other account linked with the same AppleID.

Reactions: Electrojake

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I'm on the same boat as @ian87w. I think Samsung is the best alternative to iPhone with the S lineup. It brings long term updates, top notch quality in hardware specs on a high end device with a great customized Android version where iOS users may feel happy. OneUI provides the needed and missing features of vanilla Android. I think the only issue is the stock rom with the preinstalled apps. Except of some nerds, a casual user won't understand why there're multiple apps of email (Samsung mail, gmail), Photos (Google photos, Samsung photos), Storage (Google Drive, Samsung Drive and directly after unboxing and updating it describes how to upgrade to One Drive), as well of calendar etc. I think this is the biggest pain - the regular user doesn't know which app belongs to which ecosystem. On Mac and iOS it is immediately clear - iCloud and everything can directly be used on any other account linked with the same AppleID.
Yep, if you believe less is more go with Pixel, but if you are use to a feature rich OS then Samsung is the way to go after IOS IMO

Ex IOS users can be confused by so many options on accounts etc for sure, but you do not have to daily use them all LOL

Electrojake

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
Not so new Jersey
Interesting that this thread is still rolling along.
scratching_chin.gif

Anyhow,
As I've mentioned in previous posts... my Tab S8+ is proof positive that Android is fine with me. That little tablet is a nice change of pace from my iPad Pro 12.9"

It's the Z Fold 3 that is a clumsy, crack-happy, odd-ball of a phone.
No matter what user interface or OS you put on it, its still an ergonomically challenged failure-prone albatross.
All the practicality of a miniature folding Chromebook with completely non-standard display dimensions and a crack-happy screen.
Just what the world was waiting for. ?

kaardowiq

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2018
Zürich, Switzerland
Ex IOS users can be confused by so many options on accounts etc for sure, but you do not have to daily use them all LOL
Sure, and how does a new user know which service to use for which reason? Why are photos displayed in multiple apps he hasn’t used before? Maybe you know… But everyone who isn’t in tech won’t. I could also ask you the differences between English roses, floribunda roses, grandiflora roses, hybrid tea roses etc. probably we both won’t know while a gardener would laugh at us… so, no one should assume that something is pretty clear just while someone self knows it because he’s related to this topic.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Interesting that this thread is still rolling along.
scratching_chin.gif

Anyhow,
As I've mentioned in previous posts... my Tab S8+ is proof positive that Android is fine with me. That little tablet is a nice change of pace from my iPad Pro 12.9"

It's the Z Fold 3 that is a clumsy, crack-happy, odd-ball of a phone.
No matter what user interface or OS you put on it, its still an ergonomically challenged failure-prone albatross.
All the practicality of a miniature folding Chromebook with completely non-standard display dimensions and a crack-happy screen.
Just what the world was waiting for. ?

I used to think the Fold was a “look what they can do” device rather than something that’s actually functional, but the Fold 3 changed my mind a bit. Ergonomically it’s actually not as bad as I thought it would be. I still don’t think its ready for prime time from a hardware or software standpoint, but it’s getting close. Android 12L should help boost the software improvements and from a hardware side of things they should look at what Oppo did and try and target that form factor a bit more. Still, I’m fully convinced now that Foldables will be mainstream in the near future.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Sure, and how does a new user know which service to use for which reason? Why are photos displayed in multiple apps he hasn’t used before? Maybe you know… But everyone who isn’t in tech won’t. I could also ask you the differences between English roses, floribunda roses, grandiflora roses, hybrid tea roses etc. probably we both won’t know while a gardener would laugh at us… so, no one should assume that something is pretty clear just while someone self knows it because he’s related to this topic.
Simply they do not have to, like IOS you could just use the native OEM app and never experiment with others :rolleyes:

If their curiosity is raised there is plenty of info available

Just because you have more multiple choices does not mean you have to use them

This is why many do not get bored with Android unlike IOS, there are options but equally they are not compulsory and match your skill/experience level, if you so desire

kaardowiq

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2018
Zürich, Switzerland
Simply they do not have to, like IOS you could just use the native OEM app and never experiment with others :rolleyes:

If their curiosity is raised there is plenty of info available

Just because you have more multiple choices does not mean you have to use them
And how does a new user know which is OEM. For example I still do not get what you mean in this case...

OEM of phone manufacture (probably that way would most people go)
OEM of Android (probably many people do not even know Android is a Google related product)

And how should a user know what's OEM or the best way for him, when 3 Apps are preinstalled for Email?

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
And how does a new user know which is OEM. For example I still do not get what you mean in this case...

OEM of phone manufacture (probably that way would most people go)
OEM of Android (probably many people do not even know Android is a Google related product)

And how should a user know what's OEM or the best way for him, when 3 Apps are preinstalled for Email?
Firstly like IOS, Android in your context is the OS not the OEM

Secondly the default Apps and layout is pre-selected and steers you to the native apps or preferred, until you customise or do otherwise

Therefore, There is guidance from the offset until user decides to experiment or not

kaardowiq

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2018
Zürich, Switzerland
Secondly the default Apps and layout is pre-selected and steers you to the native apps or preferred, until you customise or do otherwise
that‘s probably exactly the problem how people ended up in Samsung drive, had to migrate to one drive and still don’t use GDrive ;-) So they messed up because these users didn’t know better. So we’re back at the root case…

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
that‘s probably exactly the problem how people ended up in Samsung drive, had to migrate to one drive and still don’t use GDrive ;-) So they messed up because these users didn’t know better. So we’re back at the root case…
Nope your applying your retrospective knowledge and not thinking like a new user :)

Electrojake

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
Not so new Jersey
...from a hardware side of things they should look at what Oppo did and try and target that form factor a bit more. Still, I’m fully convinced now that Foldables will be mainstream in the near future.
I'm under the impression that Apple is betting foldables is a passing fad and will die-off in a couple years.?

I've never had a phone that I needed insurance on or a phone that I ever broke so to think that I need to insure my ZF3 because Samsung has a UTG folding screen problem is completely unacceptable.

You mentioned the new folding Oppo... I like it! ?
However, I'll bet it will have major durability problems... Just like my Z Fold 3.
The ZF3 is a clever device but random screen cracks (many for apparently no reason) make it useless as a daily carry phone. ?

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I'm under the impression that Apple is betting foldables is a passing fad and will die-off in a couple years.?

I've never had a phone that I needed insurance on or a phone that I ever broke so to think that I need to insure my ZF3 because Samsung has a UTG folding screen problem is completely unacceptable.

However, I'll bet it will have major durability problems... Just like my Z Fold 3.
The ZF3 is a clever device but random screen cracks (many for apparently no reason) make it useless as a daily carry phone. ?
I though we got pass this daft rhetoric of yours that seems more like some imaginary phobia than reality :rolleyes:

Unlike Apple your F3 comes with bundled warranty with a heavy subsidized screen replacement fee regardless of how it happens, you should know this as an F3 owner.

Just use the F3 instead of your repeated claims that you have not even put to the test

As you plan to trade it in you may as well use it and if the worse happens get it repaired and still trade it in which is heaps better than letting it sit idle in your draw

Last edited:

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia

Apple actually already use foldable OLED tech on the OLED iPhones. To achieve the edge-to-edge design, Apple actually folded the OLED displays at the edge. Compare iPhones from the iPhone X onward to OLED Android phones. Most Android phones still have a slight chin for the display controller. So it's not that Apple is passing on the tech, but they use it according to their own roadmap.

Durability issue will never go away on moving parts. Apple worked so hard into improving the durability of iPhones (ceramic shield) that I doubt they would do a foldable iPhone anytime soon.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Apple actually already use foldable OLED tech on the OLED iPhones. To achieve the edge-to-edge design, Apple actually folded the OLED displays at the edge. Compare iPhones from the iPhone X onward to OLED Android phones. Most Android phones still have a slight chin for the display controller. So it's not that Apple is passing on the tech, but they use it according to their own roadmap.

Durability issue will never go away on moving parts. Apple worked so hard into improving the durability of iPhones (ceramic shield) that I doubt they would do a foldable iPhone anytime soon.
There’s a big difference between a statically folded screen and one that has to withstand thousands of folds.

I’m sure Apple have handfuls of foldable prototypes in the works. They’re doing what Apple do. They have no interest in being first to market. They’ll sit back, take notes on what Samsung, Oppo, etc do right and what they do wrong. And if the market for Foldables gets big enough, they’ll eventually release a foldable. They’ll name it iFold or something along those lines and call it groundbreaking and innovative even though they’re really a few years behind the curve. And it’ll be rock solid and very well built.

• Love

Electrojake

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
Not so new Jersey
I though we got pass this daft rhetoric of yours that seems more like some imaginary phobia than reality :rolleyes:
Yeah, perhaps I need some time on a psychiatrist's couch, but the emotional scars of having an $1800 phone that can turn to complete garbage for no reason other than simply folding it closed has me a little stressed out.
Chait-worry-320.jpg

I have it sitting in my top dresser drawer.
Every time I open that drawer and see it sitting there I get a little jolt of anxiety.
I also wonder what Samsung is going to think when they check my ZF3 and see that it has only had one outgoing call in its entire life?

Hurry up September!
The happiest day of my life will be when I ship it back to Samsung.
cheer.gif

izzy0242mr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
Just use whatever works for you. I used to love Android because of Vanced, but now it's gone. Vanced was so much better than YouTube premium and had many features.
Samsung doesn't really have the best Android experience. You should've tried Google Pixel.
Vanced is not gone. The developer has officially stopped developing it, but it still works just fine for the many people who are using it, myself included.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Yeah, perhaps I need some time on a psychiatrist's couch, but the emotional scars of having an $1800 phone that can turn to complete garbage for no reason other than simply folding it closed has me a little stressed out.
This simply a gross exaggeration, it's insured its under warranty, use it

If we applied your metrics almost every product we buy would stay in the box lol

Electrojake

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
Not so new Jersey
This simply a gross exaggeration, it's insured its under warranty, use it.
If we applied your metrics almost every product we buy would stay in the box lol
Nope!
This POS is going back to Samsung in pristine condition in the original box as a trade-in on a new ZF4.
If I can get at least $350 for it toward a new ZF4 then it will have been worth it. ?

I'm hoping the ZF4 will last 12 months if I baby it because the more leaks I see about the iPhone 14 the more I'm thinking I'll just wait for the 15 and rely on the ZF4 to get me thru until Fall of 2023.

Recent leaks on the new ZF4 say it will be a little thinner, a little more durable, a little wider, and no s-pen holder slot. Those are all things I was hoping for in the new edition! :)

As for a new iPhone. . .
For my simple needs any 6.7" screen 12, 13, or 14 would do fine (since they all are so similar anyway),
but like most i-Fanboys I keep waiting for Apple to release that one "must have" new phone. Maybe the 15 will be it...
Or maybe it will just be another 12, 13, 14, with warmed over specs & hype. ?

Thanks for your thoughts and comments SteveJUAE,
It's appreciated! ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.