Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I've been saying for a while now that the iPhone Pro's camera system on an iPad mini would make for a killer moviemaking device. The iPhone's screen is small for the kind of display-based view-finder one would need, and the iPad Pros are too big/wide to be convenient at it. The mini would be perfect for it. That all being said, I'm pretty sure no one at Apple looking at the mini sees it that way.

Plus, hate to break it to you, this is not the year for an iPad mini announcement. An M2 based sixth generation iPad Air is far more likely for this fall.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I've been saying for a while now that the iPhone Pro's camera system on an iPad mini would make for a killer moviemaking device. The iPhone's screen is small for the kind of display-based view-finder one would need, and the iPad Pros are too big/wide to be convenient at it. The mini would be perfect for it. That all being said, I'm pretty sure no one at Apple looking at the mini sees it that way.
You are sure that no one at Apple sees it that? A trillion dollar company... you don't think they haven't thought of that scenario?

The iPhone is their bread winner... why disrupt that and place the iPhone Pro's camera system on an iPad Mini? Because it could potential lead consumers to buy a iPad Mini Pro when Apple rather have consumers buy the iPhone Pro.

Reactions: Digitalguy

Wokis

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
I'm just happy if they stick with their 4ish year update schedule and give us new Minis at all. Thankfully last update put the then-current top of the line A-series chip in there, so it's still very snappy and relevant.

From Apples PoV I don't think there is a big enough market to start splitting the Mini into regular and Pro.

Reactions: philliez98

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
You are sure that no one at Apple sees it that? A trillion dollar company... you don't think they haven't thought of that scenario?

I never said they haven't thought of it. I said that they don't see it that way. Big difference. And sure, maybe someone out of the thousands of people that work for that company agrees with me. But no one in any position to make it happen agrees with me. Though, that's splitting some serious hairs.

The iPhone is their bread winner... why disrupt that and place the iPhone Pro's camera system on an iPad Mini? Because it could potential lead consumers to buy a iPad Mini Pro when Apple rather have consumers buy the iPhone Pro.
Pretty sure you don't have that kind of cannibalization happening or even close to happening. The iPad mini is not a popular product among those with Plus/Max sized iPhones. Incidentally, the use cases for both don't align enough for cannibalization to be a credible threat. But, sure.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I never said they haven't thought of it. I said that they don't see it that way. Big difference. And sure, maybe someone out of the thousands of people that work for that company agrees with me. But no one in any position to make it happen agrees with me. Though, that's splitting some serious hairs.
Good point.

Pretty sure you don't have that kind of cannibalization happening or even close to happening. The iPad mini is not a popular product among those with Plus/Max sized iPhones. Incidentally, the use cases for both don't align enough for cannibalization to be a credible threat. But, sure.
Its not necessarily a cannibalization type of thing... but it would clearly take some profit away from the iPhone Pro, which I don't think Apple desires to lead consumers in that direction.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Its not necessarily a cannibalization type of thing... but it would clearly take some profit away from the iPhone Pro, which I don't think Apple desires to lead consumers in that direction.
First off, "take some profit away from the iPhone Pro" is the same thing as cannibalization. Cannibalization IS taking customers who would've bought thing A - which you are committed to selling as much of as possible - and directing them to thing B - which you are also committed to selling as much of as possible.

Secondly, Apple wouldn't be cannibalizing iPhone Pro sales with an iPad mini that can be used by Pros looking to capture with the same capability as an iPhone Pro because, again, it's different markets altogether. You'd more likely have it cannibalizing sales from the 11-inch iPad Pro, which is what people wanting to capture pro-grade video from an Apple device that isn't an iPhone are using. But, to be fair, that camera system on an iPad mini is a billion times more versatile anyway.

JasonMacRumorn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2017
Plus, hate to break it to you, this is not the year for an iPad mini announcement. An M2 based sixth generation iPad Air is far more likely for this fall.
haha, ok ok, I don't really follow that, but I sort of feel like they have an upgrade coming this Sept

I think the fact that one devices supports the pencil and the other cellular will keep buyers in line for each device

From Apples PoV I don't think there is a big enough market to start splitting the Mini into regular and Pro.
If they had a pro line I think it'd be very successful, maybe enough to expand the market? How are the ipad pros now selling?

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
First off, "take some profit away from the iPhone Pro" is the same thing as cannibalization. Cannibalization IS taking customers who would've bought thing A - which you are committed to selling as much of as possible - and directing them to thing B - which you are also committed to selling as much of as possible.
You are right. I was more so referring to it won't lead to a huge dip in sales taken away from the iPhone Pro.

Secondly, Apple wouldn't be cannibalizing iPhone Pro sales with an iPad mini that can be used by Pros looking to capture with the same capability as an iPhone Pro because, again, it's different markets altogether. You'd more likely have it cannibalizing sales from the 11-inch iPad Pro, which is what people wanting to capture pro-grade video from an Apple device that isn't an iPhone are using. But, to be fair, that camera system on an iPad mini is a billion times more versatile anyway.
Huh? If the iPad Mini has the same camera system as a iPhone Pro... of course, it would take some sales away from the iPhone Pro. I don't see how you can deny that. A potential buyer will opt to buy a iPad Mini Pro than a iPhone Pro for video making content.. even you stated yourself it would be a perfect view finder.

And to add to that, you can even edit videos on the go using Final Cut Pro app. But the 11 inch iPad Pro doesn't necessarily have the same camera system in the iPhone Pro... they are more similar to a iPhone standard camera system that's found in the non-Pro iPhones.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
haha, ok ok, I don't really follow that, but I sort of feel like they have an upgrade coming this Sept

Based on what? Your gut?

The standard iPad has been updated every fall since the 7th Generation iPad came out in 2019.

The iPad Air has been on an ever year and a half update schedule since Apple revived it in Spring of 2019. Third generation model came out then. Fourth Generation model a year and a half later in Fall of 2020. Then the fifth generation in Spring of 2022. A year and a half would peg that for a fall release for this year and, wouldn't you know, there's an M2 to go into it this time.

The iPad Pro gets updates once per M-series chip nowadays. It already has the M2 and M3 isn't anywhere near being ready to drop into a new iPad Pro.

The iPad mini doesn't have a set schedule; it gets released whenever Apple feels like it. Incidentally, every rumor out there pegs a seventh generation model to come out next year, if at all.

Huh? If the iPad Mini has the same camera system as a iPhone Pro... of course, it would take some sales away from the iPhone Pro. I don't see how you can deny that. A potential buyer will opt to buy a iPad Mini Pro than a iPhone Pro for video making content.. even you stated yourself it would be a perfect view finder.
Making video content is far from the only reason people buy iPhone Pros. Most people who buy them don't make videos. Incidentally, Apple releasing an iPad mini with that camera system wouldn't cannibalize anywhere near enough sales from iPhone Pro models to matter. There will still be people that want to shoot on that phone and there will still be PLENTY of people buying that phone regardless.

Reactions: Saturn007

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
You are right. I was more so referring to it won't lead to a huge dip in sales taken away from the iPhone Pro.

And to add to that, you can even edit videos on the go using Final Cut Pro app. But the 11 inch iPad Pro doesn't necessarily have the same camera system in the iPhone Pro... they are more similar to a iPhone standard camera system that's found in the non-Pro iPhones.

I have a 14 Pro Max and a Mini 6 and love the 14PM for video. I most definitely would not opt for the larger size for making video content.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Making video content is far from the only reason people buy iPhone Pros. Most people who buy them don't make videos. Incidentally, Apple releasing an iPad mini with that camera system wouldn't cannibalize anywhere near enough sales from iPhone Pro models to matter. There will still be people that want to shoot on that phone and there will still be PLENTY of people buying that phone regardless.
The point I'm making is.... Apple don't care to break the wheel. Whether or not you think it wouldn't be anywhere near cannibalize iPhone Pro sales... it has the potential to happen.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
I don't think they'll make an iPad Mini Pro because the size would make a Magic Keyboard hard to design.
Chinese companies can make mini keyboards so it's not rocket science. They could do a mini Smart keyboard with the bonus of selling the Magic trackpad alongside for the perfect pairing. Apple must love the markup on their accessories, now they can sell 2.

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
I agree with you, I hope there is a iPad mini refresh this year or maybe early next year, my current mini is in the hands of my kid and there are times the 12.9" is just too big. Funny enough originally I got the mini for me while I had a 11" IPP and the IPP was supposed to go to the kid, but she enjoyed the smaller size one. If a refresh does happen the only thing I want is higher brightness

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I agree with you, I hope there is a iPad mini refresh this year or maybe early next year, my current mini is in the hands of my kid and there are times the 12.9" is just too big. Funny enough originally I got the mini for me while I had a 11" IPP and the IPP was supposed to go to the kid, but she enjoyed the smaller size one. If a refresh does happen the only thing I want is higher brightness

Relative bar size with varying video aspect ratios has never bothered me - I prefer the larger displayed image of the 12.9.

Reactions: Digitalguy

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
Relative bar size with varying video aspect ratios has never bothered me - I prefer the larger displayed image of the 12.9.
It isn't the aspect ratio and of course when it comes to things like video content and some other stuff like editing photos too on the iPad is much more pleasant on the 12.9, but there have been times where I wanted something bigger than the iPhone and not wanting to lug around the 12.9 especially since a mini can fit in like a jacket pocket or something

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.