Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
It isn't the aspect ratio and of course when it comes to things like video content and some other stuff like editing photos too on the iPad is much more pleasant on the 12.9, but there have been times where I wanted something bigger than the iPhone and not wanting to lug around the 12.9 especially since a mini can fit in like a jacket pocket or something

Yeah, out and about, my cellular Mini 6 is a gem.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
The point I'm making is.... Apple don't care to break the wheel. Whether or not you think it wouldn't be anywhere near cannibalize iPhone Pro sales... it has the potential to happen.

Sure. You and I both have the potential to be struck by lighting in 30 minutes and at the exact same time! That DOES have the potential to happen. I wouldn't bank on it, though.

Yeah. I'm hopeful anyways. I think the line has been neglected and if it had a pro model it'd be one of their best selling devices.
My point is that there's more statistical evidence to suggest it won't happen than there is to suggest that it will. I'm not trying to downplay your wants and desired here. But your prediction has much less to support itself.

Reactions: klasma

brilliantthings

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2011
Chinese companies can make mini keyboards so it's not rocket science. They could do a mini Smart keyboard with the bonus of selling the Magic trackpad alongside for the perfect pairing. Apple must love the markup on their accessories, now they can sell 2.
I don't think it's about the science. I think they've made it clear they don't intend to make small-key keyboards.

Reactions: Digitalguy

zerocharlie

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2022
who's with me
I’d be on board if they just bring ProMotion refresh to the Mini and the latest chip. I can live without the 14 PM camera and lack of keyboard. I’m actually fine if this isn’t considered a “pro” device.

Now I’m wondering if we will live in a world where higher refresh rates are acceptable on non-pro Apple device. 🤔

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
Based on what? Your gut?

The standard iPad has been updated every fall since the 7th Generation iPad came out in 2019.

The iPad Air has been on an ever year and a half update schedule since Apple revived it in Spring of 2019. Third generation model came out then. Fourth Generation model a year and a half later in Fall of 2020. Then the fifth generation in Spring of 2022. A year and a half would peg that for a fall release for this year and, wouldn't you know, there's an M2 to go into it this time.

The iPad Pro gets updates once per M-series chip nowadays. It already has the M2 and M3 isn't anywhere near being ready to drop into a new iPad Pro.

The iPad mini doesn't have a set schedule; it gets released whenever Apple feels like it. Incidentally, every rumor out there pegs a seventh generation model to come out next year, if at all.

Making video content is far from the only reason people buy iPhone Pros. Most people who buy them don't make videos. Incidentally, Apple releasing an iPad mini with that camera system wouldn't cannibalize anywhere near enough sales from iPhone Pro models to matter. There will still be people that want to shoot on that phone and there will still be PLENTY of people buying that phone regardless.
I usually go for big screens but a iPad mini with iPhone Pro Max camera system would be very attractive. Then I can stick to a mid range iPhones that actually fits a pocket. I am sure Apple is happy to sell be two devices instead of one.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
who's with me
It’s really highly unlikely.

I'm also not fond of the new narrower aspect ratio (and the jelly scrolling, and the volume button behavior, and the camera bump), so unless they change that back, it will be a "meh" for me anyway. I don't know what I will do when my mini 5 becomes too outdated to be viable anymore.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
I don't think it's about the science. I think they've made it clear they don't intend to make small-key keyboards.
Apple is leaving money on the table.

They could make a fold-out keyboard cover if they wanted to have a larger keyboard.

CONCEPT:

1.jpg

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Apple is leaving money on the table.

They could make a fold-out keyboard cover if they wanted to have a larger keyboard.

CONCEPT:

View attachment 2236474
I have tried all the possible solution on the market, including folding keyboards from Microsoft and others. They are clunky and a separate trackpad or mouse on the go is not convenient.
The best solution was the keyboard from brydge for the mini. Still not ideal, but usable. Apple won't make one.
Honestly as much as the idea is nice, since the mini is generally not pocketable anyway, a 11in with a proper magic keyboard makes more sense. Or if you don't hate Windows, there are plenty of small convertibles, including with cellular and decent battery life.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
I don’t think an iPad Mini Pro will ever necessarily happen.
But with the basic iPhones rumored to switch to a pro motion display in 2025, I could see 120 Hz LCDs move down to the iPad Air and Mini in the coming year or two.
Especially since the Pros will be moving to OLEDs and M3s and will still have several other advantages as well.
Other than that, I'm not entirely sure what else they could do while keeping it around its current price besides bumping it to an A17.

HandsomeDanNZ

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2008
Auckland NZ
I'd be all for a M1 or M2 iPad Mini with 120hz refresh rate, but they'd have to do something with the battery.
My 6th Gen iPad Mini is great, but the battery sucks.
I'm tempted to go to a new iPad Air to take advantage of the bigger battery.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Why all this talk of a "Pro" Mini? Heck just give us an updated iPad Mini that doesn't feel like a lower-midrange product. It needs to have more RAM, a faster processor, better speakers, entry level storage of at least 128GB and a display that doesn't look like the cheapest unit Apple could find on the marketplace. This should cost approximately $100 more than the current model.

klky

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2015
I don't care what they call it. Just make a mini that isn't half-assed. Simply adding Face ID and Pro Motion would be enough to get me in line to buy one (and maybe fix the damn scaling!). These are not new technologies. My 2018 iPad Pro has both of these technologies. 2 0 1 8!

Reactions: JasonMacRumorn

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I think it would be awesome but would probably stick with my mini 6 for now. I do love the current mini form factor though and would eventually upgrade to another one.

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
who's with me
I am, would love a replacement ipad mini that can run fcp for ipad, don't need a lot of on board storage, but I really need a new ipad to replace the ipad mini 2, but the costs of the ipad pro is just not within my budget, but a $300-$400 ipad mini maybe I could find scope, but the ipad pro as now, impossibly too expensive, here in South Africa that is.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
I'm tempted to go to a new iPad Air to take advantage of the bigger battery.
I would not recommend, the battery life on all iPads is basically the same.
Remember, that Bigger iPad Air also comes with more pixels to push and a more power-hungry processor.

Obviously, battery tests are never the most scientific, but I think the point of the video is clear.
No matter which iPad you get, from the $329 ninth generation to the $2500 2 TB iPad Pro, you’re getting about eight or nine hours of usage.
Oh and spoiler, the mini lasted longer than the iPad Air in this test

HandsomeDanNZ

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2008
Auckland NZ
I would not recommend, the battery life on all iPads is basically the same.
Remember, that Bigger iPad Air also comes with more pixels to push and a more power-hungry processor.

Obviously, battery tests are never the most scientific, but I think the point of the video is clear.
No matter which iPad you get, from the $329 ninth generation to the $2500 2 TB iPad Pro, you’re getting about eight or nine hours of usage.
Oh and spoiler, the mini lasted longer than the iPad Air in this test
Interesting.
Thanks for the info

MegaBlue

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2022
Tennessee, United States
I don’t think an M chip would fit into the mini very well. Not physically, but in concept. It would most likely have to be throttled in performance even further to be in the mini’s chassis, and without the M/AX chip, it’s not really a Pro, is it?

That being said, I know my partner would absolutely “upgrade” his iPad to an iPad mini if it had more iPad Pro-like convenience features, like Face ID, variable refresh rate, and the 4-speaker sound system.

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
Love the mini, but I've tried and failed to experience the benefit of trying to do 'pro' things on a compromised tablet.

The most appealing future would be to keep the same mini - and add OLED and an M3, then allow for mac emulation in KVM clamshell mode, and have it be performant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.