Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
who's with me
E91A0DDB-3FA0-4FD4-8F40-707D4299B931.gif
I‘m with ya! 😂 Definitely nabbing me a new ipad mini if it drops in September!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: JasonMacRumorn

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
A cheaper ipad that works with final cut for ipad for no more than $399, yes please all over that, but $1999 for an ipad... When will it dawn on Tim that less for more is a bad idea, that if you want to make cash, then sell more tat for less $$$.. I am sure that if I could get a new ipad that ran fcp for ipad for no more than 4000ZAR [Rand] here in South Africa, I would buy, that is ipad mini, with 256GB SSD, 2 ports, 1 for charging, one for external SSD.. It would sell extremely well, but a 25 000ZAR ipad is not selling..

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
A cheaper ipad that works with final cut for ipad for no more than $399, yes please all over that, but $1999 for an ipad... When will it dawn on Tim that less for more is a bad idea, that if you want to make cash, then sell more tat for less $$$.. I am sure that if I could get a new ipad that ran fcp for ipad for no more than 4000ZAR [Rand] here in South Africa, I would buy, that is ipad mini, with 256GB SSD, 2 ports, 1 for charging, one for external SSD.. It would sell extremely well, but a 25 000ZAR ipad is not selling..
I think two USB-C ports would be good, but that will probably only be on M# iPads which run Stage Manager. Until then make sure your drive enclosure has two ports so you can run power to it.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
I think two USB-C ports would be good, but that will probably only be on M# iPads which run Stage Manager. Until then make sure your drive enclosure has two ports so you can run power to it.
Yeah, two ports will never happen on a cheaper iPad. That would be an iPad Pro only feature…and I doubt that’ll even happen.

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
Yeah, two ports will never happen on a cheaper iPad. That would be an iPad Pro only feature…and I doubt that’ll even happen.
That is the problem Apple has, it is a design cul de sac so to speak, there is no reason why the cheapest ipad in the range cannot have 2 ports, or 256GB SSD, it is about the idea of selling fewer products or selling more product for less profit per product, would option 2, more product for less money realize a greater return??

So far since the launch of the ipad, I have bought 1, ipad mini, the cheapest one in 2013, had Apple kept costs reasonable, I more than likely would have bought a 2nd, or maybe even a 3rd, over the last 120 months... so far 1 only... and may forever only be one, however if they made it viable for sensible investment, I might invest in a 2nd..and buy the keyboard/pencil etc.. $2000 I am out..

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
That is the problem Apple has, it is a design cul de sac so to speak, there is no reason why the cheapest ipad in the range cannot have 2 ports, or 256GB SSD, it is about the idea of selling fewer products or selling more product for less profit per product, would option 2, more product for less money realize a greater return??

So far since the launch of the ipad, I have bought 1, ipad mini, the cheapest one in 2013, had Apple kept costs reasonable, I more than likely would have bought a 2nd, or maybe even a 3rd, over the last 120 months... so far 1 only... and may forever only be one, however if they made it viable for sensible investment, I might invest in a 2nd..and buy the keyboard/pencil etc.. $2000 I am out..
I dunno. I’m a professional artist, and since 2018, the iPad Pro has replaced my macbook Pro as my main computer & creation device. I use it to draw on as well as edit photos & videos. I also have an iPad mini for when I want to travel light. I love the iPad. I could never go back to a laptop. I find it more enjoyable to type on it and consume media on than a laptop. It’s more portable. I am so used to the tactile interactive nature of the iPad now, that whenever I am in front of a laptop or computer, I try to touch the screen…and get so frustrated! 😂 Of course there are things I always wish for on new iPads. But I felt that way when I used laptops too. I haven’t upgraded my iPad Pro in awhile, but that’s only because my old one works so well still for everything I need! I will upgrade tho when the iPad Pros get the OLED screens next year. And I will definitely be upgrading my iPad mini 5 to the 7 this Fall if Apple updates them.

Last edited:

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
I dunno. I’m a professional artist, and since 2018, the iPad Pro has replaced my macbook Pro as my main computer & creation device. I use it to draw on as well as edit photos & videos. I also have an iPad mini for when I want to travel light. I love the iPad. I could never go back to a laptop. I find it more enjoyable to type on it and consume media on than a laptop. It’s more portable. I am so used to the tactile interactive nature of the iPad now, that whenever I am in front of a laptop or computer, I try to touch the screen…and get so frustrated! 😂 Of course there are things I always wish for on new iPads. But I felt that way when I used laptops too. I haven’t upgraded my iPad Pro in awhile, but that’s only because my old one works so well still for everything I need! I will upgrade tho when the iPad Pros get the OLED screens next year. And I will definitely be upgrading my iPad mini 5 to the 7 this Fall if Apple updates them.
I agree, I loved my ipad mini, and so would love to use a new one, but honestly they are just way too expensive, it is not like Apple would go out of business selling ipad mini 256GB SSD for $199.. Maybe Apple would make a penny on each one, Mr Cook does not need an extra multiples of millions of $ a day.. So Apple why not...try selling ipad mini 256GB SSD, I would buy...right now..

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I agree, I loved my ipad mini, and so would love to use a new one, but honestly they are just way too expensive, it is not like Apple would go out of business selling ipad mini 256GB SSD for $199.. Maybe Apple would make a penny on each one, Mr Cook does not need an extra multiples of millions of $ a day.. So Apple why not...try selling ipad mini 256GB SSD, I would buy...right now..

Apple is going to sell its products in way that maximizes profits, like any other company. You'd have to explain to its shareholders why it should do differently. Publicly traded companies don't tend toward altruism.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
$199 for a new 256gig ipad mini? Hate to dash your hopes, but that is not gonna happen. You can get a 9th gen regular iPad for $329 on the Apple store If you want the cheapest iPad. Or you can buy a refurbished iPad mini 5 256 gig for $469 currently on the Apple website. Perhaps look online for someone selling a used ipad mini for even cheaper. But holding out hope for a new $199 iPad mini is a waste of time. I just checked online and you can buy an older iPad mini 4 at Walmart for $165!

Last edited:

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
I’d buy a Mini Pro (M-chip, 120 Hz display, maybe OLED, FaceID, small keyboard available) instantly, even if it cost 50% more. Love the form factor and the “Pro” features would really make it an amazing unit that would really make me use it more than the current mini.

• Love
Reactions: JasonMacRumorn

luigismalucelli

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2011
I've been saying for a while now that the iPhone Pro's camera system on an iPad mini would make for a killer moviemaking device. The iPhone's screen is small for the kind of display-based view-finder one would need, and the iPad Pros are too big/wide to be convenient at it. The mini would be perfect for it. That all being said, I'm pretty sure no one at Apple looking at the mini sees it that way.

Plus, hate to break it to you, this is not the year for an iPad mini announcement. An M2 based sixth generation iPad Air is far more likely for this fall.

Hi, filmmaker here,
I don't think it would be a good idea, for the price you would pay for the iPad mini pro + rigs + adapters + manual labor to mount everything, it's in the $1,500 area, which you can easily buy a brand new Blackmagic 4K that will give you everything you need and more than any iPad + apps could ever do.

Also, you can rent any camera you want from a rental equipment house if you have one available, you have access to various levels of camera and lenses, plus professional help with the equipment.

PS: I own a Fujifilm X-T200 which is not at all the best for film, but it's the same price as an iPad and gives me a considerably better image

Last edited:

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Hi, filmmaker here,
I don't think it would be a good idea, for the price you would pay for the iPad mini pro + rigs + adapters + manual labor to mount everything, it's in the $1,500 area, which you can easily buy a brand new Blackmagic 4K that will give you everything you need and more than any iPad + apps could ever do.

Also, you can rent any camera you want from a rental equipment house if you have one available, you have access to various levels of camera and lenses, plus professional help with the equipment.

PS: I own a Fujifilm X-T200 which is not at all the best for film, but it's the same price as an iPad and gives me a considerably better image

What lens are you putting on that Blackmagic to put it in the $1500 range?

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Hi, filmmaker here,

It would be a better idea than those who are currently doing this with an iPad Pro and no worse of an idea than anyone doing it with an iPhone Pro. I get that there are more traditional sets of equipment out there. But that doesn't negate the fact that people are filmmaking with their damn iPhones now.

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
$199 for a new 256gig ipad mini? Hate to dash your hopes, but that is not gonna happen. You can get a 9th gen regular iPad for $329 on the Apple store If you want the cheapest iPad. Or you can buy a refurbished iPad mini 5 256 gig for $469 currently on the Apple website. Perhaps look online for someone selling a used ipad mini for even cheaper. But holding out hope for a new $199 iPad mini is a waste of time. I just checked online and you can buy an older iPad mini 4 at Walmart for $165!
Oh well, anyone have an ipad they would love to donate??

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
who's with me
Been waiting for that since the last time they made the mini with the same specs as the top of the line ipad. Instead I thought, 2nd best would ge a “Pro” ipad, with 15“ or 17” display, running the full version of FCP, ideally on Mac OS or a seriously rethought iOS File Management system with full connectivity & integration into Mac OS on a desktop. But instead we got a mini 6 with less features and a couple “pro”s that have the same limitations as every other ipad. I think I’m waiting for some new people to take over product exec positions at Apple.

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
Tim most def is not a Steve Jobs clone, he has done "great" things, none involve Apple, since he took over, sorry but the products are the product of a male bull's digestive system, what comes out the back end...Really not much effort required to design for Apple, toddlers couldn't do any worse with a crayon and paper...

I am pretty certain a 256GB SSD Ipad Mini with 2 USB C ports, the very same two ports on the 2020 M1 macbook air, would sell in the tens of ten thousands before the end of day 1.. The idea of selling more for less has to be better than selling less for more?? Just seems logical, what I think the problem Apple has, it wants to be this "exclusive" must have brand, it wants to be the Testla or Porsche of it's market, but by making the product of the male bulls digestive system, it kind of defeats this lofty ambition...We all know that the products out of Apple are c [wrap].. Truly awful products, lacking in function, and overpriced dells..to be honest..

ipos

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2011
doesn't need to be the latest M chip, even a M1 chip is a very huge upgrade to me.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I am pretty certain a 256GB SSD Ipad Mini with 2 USB C ports, the very same two ports on the 2020 M1 macbook air, would sell in the tens of ten thousands before the end of day 1.. The idea of selling more for less has to be better than selling less for more?? Just seems logical, what I think the problem Apple has, it wants to be this "exclusive" must have brand, it wants to be the Testla or Porsche of it's market, but by making the product of the male bulls digestive system, it kind of defeats this lofty ambition...We all know that the products out of Apple are c [wrap].. Truly awful products, lacking in function, and overpriced dells..to be honest..

Not necessarily. There's a supply-demand curve and I'm guessing the products are prices where they are right now to maximize profit.

Let's assume the 256GB iPad mini you're suggesting has a parts and labor cost of $149 (honestly, I estimate actual costs are higher, prolly $200-250).

At $199, that's a profit of $50 per unit.

At the current MSRP of $649, that's a profit of $500 per unit.

Apple will need to sell 10x as many iPad minis just to match their current profit if they drop the price to $199. Frankly, I don't think that's gonna happen.

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
doesn't need to be the latest M chip, even a M1 chip is a very huge upgrade to me.

Yep, I just want to be able to use it at the office to dock and run stage manager on a large screen so I don’t have to bring my work laptop or my large iPad Pro if I only have a few meetings.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

Would probably have awful battery life and throttling.

I'd be more than happy with A17 or A18 that matches the multi-core and GPU performance of the M1.

And more RAM of course (at least 8GB).

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
With this view of the company, I'm confused as to why you're even on an Apple product forum unless it's just to purposefully rile up people.
That is a bad thing just how? The products are c wrap, and we all know it, Apple used to make great products, and if they did, I would be the founder and treasurer of the Apple Supporters Party, beer on me.. But since really the 2nd gen iphone, Apple has not really been at all interested in the products... You should be angry at the c wrap Apple produces, it is really awful... They could be a lot more proactive, but they are more interested in killing off innovation instead of the olden days when they invented firewire, went feral with final cut pro, logic, shake, man those days Apple was legend, now they spend more and more time flogging Blackmagic instead of Final Cut..odd, very sus, and strange..

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
That is a bad thing just how? The products are c wrap, and we all know it, Apple used to make great products, and if they did, I would be the founder and treasurer of the Apple Supporters Party, beer on me.. But since really the 2nd gen iphone, Apple has not really been at all interested in the products... You should be angry at the c wrap Apple produces, it is really awful... They could be a lot more proactive, but they are more interested in killing off innovation instead of the olden days when they invented firewire, went feral with final cut pro, logic, shake, man those days Apple was legend, now they spend more and more time flogging Blackmagic instead of Final Cut..odd, very sus, and strange..

No, we don't "all know it" - just stick to speaking for yourself and don't assume all share your opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: LibbyLA
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.