Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

truelies

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011
This is an approve that amazon is using a high tech to trace and ban customers.

----------

This would really surprise me. That'd be like Apple banning you from iOS for only downloading free apps.

Amazon is a dirty company, apple is not. if can't earn money from free thing, they just ban to make web more quick.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I know their system pretty well. I've created accounts after a year passed and they typically don't notice for a few months, at least. Different credit card # works well.

Always good to have a way to scam the system.

Who cares about that pesky ethical behavior thing...

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
It's called a loophole.

Is that what you call tax dodging, which is what predicated this entire thread to begin with. Apple doesn't charge shipping and Amazon doesn't charge that much less than Apple for Macs so dodging taxes is basically the only reason to buy from Amazon. Are you aware that you are supposed to pay those taxes you avoid when you file state taxes? Probably no one actually does but that IS the rule.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
What's wrong about finding a loophole? I'm using it to shop.

It's not loophole - it's a flaw in their security system. If you are banned from a restaurant for being a git - getting back in by disguising yourself is not a 'loophole' -it's a lapse in ethical judgement.

Remind me not to ever go into business with you...

Here's a touching anecdote. My grandfather Sol immigrated to NYC in the late 1800s and started with a push cart on the lower east side. Over time he was a major player in the NY textile trade - based on handshake agreements. He hated written contracts, and the quibbling over 'loopholes'. He was a man of his word. When the Great Depression wiped everyone out, he managed to fulfil his end of the agreements he made. And then decided to move to LA. He asked his customers for letters of reference - which I still have - to make the move easier. They are the most amazing and glowing tributes - and the common theme is that Sol was a man who stood by his word - and never ever used a 'loophole' to get out of an agreement that wasn't working out well. One of those letters is written by a Mr. Levi on denim paper, incidentally.

He managed to build a personal fortune twice - pre and post depression - using the most important tool he had access to... integrity.

Anyway... this story won't make a difference I know... but I don't get a chance to tell it very often. Heres' to you Sol... I'd like to think I inherited at least a little bit from you.

amazonbannedme

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2014
It can be argued that if Amazon makes these returns available, that a customer is free to exercise their free right to take advantage/use the return feature.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
It can be argued that if Amazon makes these returns available, that a customer is free to exercise their free right to take advantage/use the return feature.

Try unlimited returns with a brick and mortar store and see where it gets you. You seem to confuse "right" with a privilege offered by the good graces of the store owner and rescindable without notice when abused.

bearwrestler

macrumors regular
May 19, 2014
Yikes. If you havent resolved it yet, I'm sorry. Were you buying from fulfilled by amazon, or from other vendors on amazon?

frabber

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2008
I think Amazon is a bunch of crooks paying low wages to their employees. Not to mention the bad working conditions.
I also wonder where the money ends up they earn. I guess in someone up there's pockets because they must make a lot of money even though the company doesn't seem to benefit/profit as a whole.

Companies like these should be avoided, unless they get their act together which probably will never happen.

In my opinion the service at Apple is bad as well. Had a swollen macbook battery and an ipad with erratic touch behaviour. Both slightly out of warranty. Now these issues are due to manufacturing errors because I pay top notch care when using my expensive products (That's why I still use my perfect Iphone 3GS 32GB).

Apple charged me the battery replacement (cost of battery) and offered screen repair for 250+ Eur. I'll do the screen repair myself then for 60Eur material cost and my own labour.

Just saying..., how bad I think the service is at times, when you expect more especially if you have bought a lot of products from such companies.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
I think Amazon is a bunch of crooks paying low wages to their employees. Not to mention the bad working conditions.
I also wonder where the money ends up they earn. I guess in someone up there's pockets because they must make a lot of money even though the company doesn't seem to benefit/profit as a whole.

Companies like these should be avoided, unless they get their act together which probably will never happen.

In my opinion the service at Apple is bad as well. Had a swollen macbook battery and an ipad with erratic touch behaviour. Both slightly out of warranty. Now these issues are due to manufacturing errors because I pay top notch care when using my expensive products (That's why I still use my perfect Iphone 3GS 32GB).

Apple charged me the battery replacement (cost of battery) and offered screen repair for 250+ Eur. I'll do the screen repair myself then for 60Eur material cost and my own labour.

Just saying..., how bad I think the service is at times, when you expect more especially if you have bought a lot of products from such companies.

So avoid them and go on your merry way.

frabber

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2008

Not yet, they are currently the lesser of all evils. READ best product quality in my mind. That doesn't mean that their service can suck though, at times.

Manufacturing errors, should have lifetime warranty in these price ranges.

bearwrestler

macrumors regular
May 19, 2014
Well, i think OP stated that he only returned things that were broken, and I believe that if you receive a damaged item, you should have every right to return it. Why shouldn't you?

It's not a loophole, it's just returning defective merchandise. And, OP, if you are constantly receiving bad merchandise, why not take your business elsewhere?

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
Any advice? I don't want to lose my receipts because it'll be hard to get warranty service if I need it. And, of course, I don't want to lose my credit that I have accumulated through my amazon card.

Ah, never mind.

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010

I have tried to support local retailers, but, end up buying from Amazon because local retailers, even big ones, even in big metropolitan areas, have stopped carrying lots of replaceable items for the merchandise they carry. Batteries, filters, various other things that break, wear out or get used up. And, when I complain about it, they tell me to get those items from Amazon. So, at this point, Amazon almost has public utility status-- I don't think you can easily "avoid them".

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
I have tried to support local retailers, but, end up buying from Amazon because local retailers, even big ones, even in big metropolitan areas, have stopped carrying lots of replaceable items for the merchandise they carry. Batteries, filters, various other things that break, wear out or get used up. And, when I complain about it, they tell me to get those items from Amazon. So, at this point, Amazon almost has public utility status-- I don't think you can easily "avoid them".

I'm curious what specific items can be purchased only at Amazon. Other than their own branded gizmos.

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
I'm curious what specific items can be purchased only at Amazon. Other than their own branded gizmos.

I don't mean to imply that someone else couldn't carry these items. In fact, they used to. They just don't any more. An example would be a cell phone battery for a previous "flip" cell phone I had. The local electronics outlet used to have a row of different cell phone batteries and accessories. Then, they just stopped carrying them. I asked. They said, "Order from Amazon".

bearwrestler

macrumors regular
May 19, 2014
I don't mean to imply that someone else couldn't carry these items. In fact, they used to. They just don't any more. An example would be a cell phone battery for a previous "flip" cell phone I had. The local electronics outlet used to have a row of different cell phone batteries and accessories. Then, they just stopped carrying them. I asked. They said, "Order from Amazon".

Yeah, amazon is the universal go-to for everything. I would make a new account, and try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.