Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Please select GPU type and if you see the flickering glitch on the display:

• Total voters

sunman42

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
Maryland, USA
I have zero issues with 5700XT. Are your firmwares up to date?

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 16 GB
Vendor: AMD (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x7319
Revision ID: 0x0040
ROM Revision: 113-D1820Q-231
VBIOS Version: 113-D182A2XT-012
Option ROM Version: 113-D182A2XT-012
EFI Driver Version: 01.01.231
Metal Family: Supported, Metal GPUFamily macOS 2

Ditto. No problems at all. Looks like I'll be keeping it until next year's iteration of the Studio comes out.

Reactions: hoodafoo

Olv

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2021
I don't have the 5700XT card, but ATI Radeon HD 5870, and still have a number of issues. I checkedc my serual and found that this Mac was produced a month or two before the release date, and my guess is that newer models behave bette - but after more than 5 (!) months of trying to get a reasonable solution, I have achieved nothing.

Among the problems I still have: When I try to preview an image file with Spacebar, I often get a red a square. I almost always get the split screen when turning off the Mac. This Mac is less capable than my 12 core, 2010 Mac in terms of handling ultiple open Safari windows.

Another returning problem: Safari pages some times just show blank/white space. Another problem I've had recently is that even if carious buttons etc change color upon mouseover, clicking on these buttons etc have no effect.

I don't think Apple sells new i7/ip iMacs anymore, so – if you biy a secondhand iMac: chec the serial and see how old it is. It seems that the oldets i7 iMacs are the most problematic ones.

hoodafoo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2020
Lso Angeles
I don't have the 5700XT card, but ATI Radeon HD 5870, and still have a number of issues. I checkedc my serual and found that this Mac was produced a month or two before the release date, and my guess is that newer models behave bette - but after more than 5 (!) months of trying to get a reasonable solution, I have achieved nothing.

Among the problems I still have: When I try to preview an image file with Spacebar, I often get a red a square. I almost always get the split screen when turning off the Mac. This Mac is less capable than my 12 core, 2010 Mac in terms of handling ultiple open Safari windows.

Another returning problem: Safari pages some times just show blank/white space. Another problem I've had recently is that even if carious buttons etc change color upon mouseover, clicking on these buttons etc have no effect.

I don't think Apple sells new i7/ip iMacs anymore, so – if you biy a secondhand iMac: chec the serial and see how old it is. It seems that the oldets i7 iMacs are the most problematic ones.
How does the serial tell you how old the iMac is??

Olv

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2021
THese may also be useful:

hoodafoo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2020
Lso Angeles
There are several sites which gives you info about your Mac by entering the ersial number – here's one of them:
thanks, when I punched in my serial, it gave me general info like release date of that model, but nothing specific to my machine

ADGrant

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2018

I am not familiar with the ATI Radeon HD 5870. What CPU does you Mac have?

I have never seen the split screen on my 5700XT iMac, that said I don't turn the computer off often and I don't use TrueTone.

Apple still sells Intel 27" iMacs in its refurb store.

sunman42

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
Maryland, USA

The Radeon HD 5870 is a discreet graphics card from ten years ago. As such it has never been an option in a 27-inch Retina 5K iMac.

Do you mean the Radeon Pro 570X or 580X (2019 Retina 5K options)?

JamesTheMac

Cancelled
Mar 10, 2019
I have zero issues with 5700XT. Are your firmwares up to date?

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 16 GB
Vendor: AMD (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x7319
Revision ID: 0x0040
ROM Revision: 113-D1820Q-231
VBIOS Version: 113-D182A2XT-012
Option ROM Version: 113-D182A2XT-012
EFI Driver Version: 01.01.231
Metal Family: Supported, Metal GPUFamily macOS 2
All the same apart from a couple being newer now.

VBIOS Version: 113-D182A2XT-013
Option ROM Version: 113-D182A2XT-013

The anomaly comes and goes it seems on my machine. There appears to be a greater chance of it happening the longer the machine has been active. Learned to live with it now.

I'm old school, and still in the habit of turning the whole thing off regularly to clean the memory out. I know there are those that will argue that's no longer necessary to do though.

zeratul75

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2020
hi guys, read most of the pages.
I could buy a used iMac i7 with stock 5500 xt from a local private seller at a good price, 1500 euros (here in Italy it is still sold by amazon at 2650 euros brand new).
As far as I understood the "with line issue" is now fixed and there now the "round corner flickering windows" issue only still to be fixed. Is that right?
Should I go on in your opinion?

costica1234

macrumors regular
May 21, 2013
As far as I understood the "with line issue" is now fixed and there now the "round corner flickering windows" issue only still to be fixed. Is that right?
No… This thread is making people think that these GPUs have problems when they actually don’t.

Only the 5700XT had the “white line issue”, which was fixed like 18 months ago (and so was the “round corner flickering”, which did happen across multiple GPUs, including on my regular 5700). So rest assured, both of these have been fixed.

The only “issue” still standing is a potentially true-tone-related one during shutdown (basically there is a different hue to each half), but I haven’t seen this one after applying the latest Monterrey updates. For me it didn’t count as an issue since I had no graphical problems otherwise.

Should I go on in your opinion?
Yes, for that price you are getting a super deal.

zeratul75

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2020
thanks, actually read the "half color page on shutdown" issue as well, but didn't previously named just because, like you, I don't even consider it a problem....
When was the "flickering angle" issue fixed? Read almost alla the pages here, but couldn't find people announcing this...
Anyway, happy to read white line and windows corner issues have been fixed...don't feel like buying something new (actually used, but new for me) and having to handle a "problem" I already knew it has.....

costica1234

macrumors regular
May 21, 2013
When was the "flickering angle" issue fixed? Read almost alla the pages here, but couldn't find people announcing this...
This was surely mentioned towards the beginning of this thread, but it doesn’t matter anymore since it was fixed at the same time as the white-line issue. It was only happening in the top-left corner of some windows, and you could barely see it anyway (I was using the zoom function in macOS to be able to properly see that flickering).

Either way, don’t stress about issues that no longer exist. I love my 2020 iMac and it’s doing a great job for anything I throw at it (programming, ML, occasional gaming/photo editing).

Reactions: marzer

zeratul75

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2020
Thanks a lot. Just last question :):)
The "half color screen bug" during shutdown is 100% related to true tone feature?
I mean, if true tone feature is not selected in pref panel, the bug does not occur, right?

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
The two tone True Tone but seems to be mostly gone now. Haven’t seen it since installing 11.6.5 . Not running Monterey on it, so don’t know if it’s happening in Monterey.

costica1234

macrumors regular
May 21, 2013
Thanks a lot. Just last question :):)
The "half color screen bug" during shutdown is 100% related to true tone feature?
I mean, if true tone feature is not selected in pref panel, the bug does not occur, right?
Not sure about this one as my iMac had True Tone turned on from day 1 (bluish screens hurt my eyes). But then again, as mentioned above, this is a non-issue at the minute (and I'm on the latest Monterrey and haven't seen this bug happening).

--
@mods: I think this is the right time to close (or at least unsticky) this thread. This discussion is no longer relevant given that Apple has fixed most (if not all) issues described here. New people visiting this sub-forum seem to think that 2020 iMacs have all sort of GPU issues based on the title of this thread. Worse, the discussion has deviated from the original topic covering the 5700 XT GPU and its "white line flickering".

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Agree with unsticking the thread. 11.6.5 seems to have finally eliminated the two-tone True Tone shutdown issue. Not sure about Monterey as I’m not ready to upgrade yet.

zeratul75

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2020
thanks you all for clarify it.....I am going to buy it and watching this video scared me a lot :):)
think am gonna get crazy if a see this on a brand new imac....

Ryukyu

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2022
I don't want to scare anyone but .... here; iMac 27 "2020 i9 10 cores AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB Big Sur 11.6.5 and I have two-tone True Tone shutdown issue. Apart from that ... annoyance no other problems to report.

costica1234

macrumors regular
May 21, 2013
11.6.5 here and the True Tone bug still present on my device too. So as with others, I wouldn’t say it’s been solved either.
Dude, you are running an old version of the OS. I haven’t seen this happening as of Monterrey, so how can you say that it hasn’t been solved? The negativity on this thread is just incredible…

Reactions: marzer

JamesTheMac

Cancelled
Mar 10, 2019
Dude, you are running an old version of the OS. I haven’t seen this happening as of Monterrey, so how can you say that it hasn’t been solved? The negativity on this thread is just incredible…
Well, to continue the "incredible negativity" of this thread, I'll add that, for me personally, I'd rather put up with the occasional True Tone glitch on shut down than have to live with the day-to-day foibles of Monterrey for the time being. Since Apple started rushing out these annual major OS updates, for my work, I've always preferred using the more mature, refined technology, especially in the first few dot releases of the latest version, where it really seems like an extended beta programme. There are a lot of people and organisations that feel the same, which is why Apple maintain the 'last year's OS' simultaneously with fixing the new one. I'll move over at some point, but not just yet.

Five posts back it was suggested that 11.6.5 had fixed the True Tone glitch. It may have for them, but I was merely confirming that it hadn't for me, (and some others), so the niggle hadn't been fixed. It seems quite a random glitch, varying from machine to machine, so I wouldn't be confident that even if I upgraded to Monterrey, it would make the glitch go away. - Just because the issue goes away on some machines, doesn't mean it's possible to say its been solved.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
I mean, the True Tone issue has gone away for me since updating to 11.6.5, but I’m only one guy.

JamesTheMac

Cancelled
Mar 10, 2019
I thought it had gone completely on mine, as it seemed to disappear on 11.6.4, but it's since returned intermittently on 11.6.5, it seems. One thing I have noticed is that it rarely appears if I've not been using the computer intensively. Initially I thought perhaps it is a thermal issue, but I can let the machine sleep after having done a bunch of taxing things such as Xcode, then power it down fully shortly after waking from a post Xcode state, and there is a good chance it will appear. So I'm wondering if it has something to do with the amount system RAM the machine has. I currently only have 16GB. Maybe more RAM means less clearing temporary stuff up on disk. The other factor it could be, and I will report back after some more observations, is if having programs automatically reopen has something to do with it. Who knows? ...it's a curious little niggle, but not catastrophic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.