Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Please select GPU type and if you see the flickering glitch on the display:

• Total voters

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Any of you have the True Tone bug where it will snap to a much warmer color temperature suddenly? Happens here every few days.
What GPU? And yes, I have seen the True Tone "flicker" occur on both iMacs and MacBook Pros.

Last edited:

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Ordering a 2020 with the 5500 XT GPU. Will report back my findings on the lingering True Tone issues.

Reactions: awsom82

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
5500 XT.

Haven’t seen it (ever) on an M1 Air which is the only other Mac with True Tone I’ve owned.
I've noticed it when the lighting is odd in the room or sort of in between cool and warm. It's like the sensor gets “confused” and switches very quickly in between True Tone settings. It sucks!

neuralengine

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2020
I've noticed it when the lighting is odd in the room or sort of in between cool and warm. It's like the sensor gets “confused” and switches very quickly in between True Tone settings. It sucks!
Yes that sounds like it.

To be fair, this and the two-tone thing on shutdown are the only remaining glitches for me on my 5500 XT / 8-core i7.

I haven’t seen the drifting mid-point on the two halves of the screen in a long, long time and the general stuttering when scrolling the UI is gone. Since the 11.5 update, scrolling is very smooth (except in Chrome, but that's due to a Chrome bug with Macs with AMD cards).

That said though, I don’t think I’ll be buying another desktop Mac until everybody in QC / hardware at Apple is back at work and the supply chain is back to normal. These all sound like issues due to strained resources.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Yes that sounds like it.

To be fair, this and the two-tone thing on shutdown are the only remaining glitches for me on my 5500 XT / 8-core i7.

I haven’t seen the drifting mid-point on the two halves of the screen in a long, long time and the general stuttering when scrolling the UI is gone. Since the 11.5 update, scrolling is very smooth (except in Chrome, but that's due to a Chrome bug with Macs with AMD cards).

That said though, I don’t think I’ll be buying another desktop Mac until everybody in QC / hardware at Apple is back at work and the supply chain is back to normal. These all sound like issues due to strained resources.
What bothers me the most is not that these bugs and eyesores get through QC. They linger and linger and linger across many updates and often are never resolved in a particular OS until many OS’s later. This is Apple we are talking about. And Apple money. They aren't lacking resources! Polish and shine are essential, contrary to what other people might say. It's part of the UE.

On a side note, I had no idea any of these issues occurred on the 5500? I thought the 5700 is where the problems began. Yikes!

Last edited:
Reactions: Spinnetti

awsom82

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2017
Ekaterinburg
Oh, I know now what you talking about.

When my brand new iMac 5700XT shutdowns – there vertical bright line on center. And left side dimmer that right... Is that the glitch?

Reactions: dspdoc

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Oh, I know now what you talking about.

When my brand new iMac 5700XT shutdowns – there vertical bright line on center. And left side dimmer that right... Is that the glitch?
Indeed! That is one of the main glitches remaining.

Reactions: awsom82

Spinnetti

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2005
Kentucky
What bothers me the most is not that these bugs and eyesores get through QC. They linger and linger and linger across many updates and often are never resolved in a particular OS until many OS’s later. This is Apple we are talking about. And Apple money. They aren't lacking resources! Polish and shine are essential, contrary to what other people might say. It's part of the UE.

On a side note, I had no idea any of these issues occurred on the 5500? I thought the 5700 is where the problems began. Yikes!
While I agree, I've been an apple guy since the Apple IIe, and their stuff has always been bug-ridden as a 70-80's GM car. For a long time, I reported bugs on the developer bug reporting tool, and even got a few acknowledged and fixed but there are so many bugs I no longer provide free QA. (Photos in particular irritates the crap out of me with its countless bugs). From Hardware to Software to Services (to feature and UI bloat) its a buggy mess, but still a bit better than alternatives, so I hang on.....

Reactions: filmak and Alwis

Olv

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2021
Have any of you had an issue with the left half of the screen getting another color (pink-is, in my case) during regular work (not during restart or shutdown)?

I had it after only some hours with a Mac from 2020 (i7, 5500 XT). I took a screenshot to document it, but the colors didn't show up in that picture.

It was a manufactured in June 2020, two months before the 2020 iMacs were released, so maybe this glitch is limited to only the initial production batches.

neuralengine

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2020
Have any of you had an issue with the left half of the screen getting another color (pink-is, in my case) during regular work (not during restart or shutdown)?

I had it after only some hours with a Mac from 2020 (i7, 5500 XT). I took a screenshot to document it, but the colors didn't show up in that picture.

It was a manufactured in June 2020, two months before the 2020 iMacs were released, so maybe this glitch is limited to only the initial production batches.

Do all colors appear pink or is it a pink discolouration on white / light gray areas? If it’s the latter, it’s "just" a feature of IPS LCD panels, they all have it to some degree. Some are better, some are worse. If you take a picture of your screen with your phone, does it show up?

Olv

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2021
It looks as if someone put a piece of semi-transparent glass in front of the original image. All the colors of the left half become a mix of their original color and pink.

First time I aw it, I didn't do anything. Next time, I took a screen shot, and next time, I'll take a picture, but I'm 100% sure that it will show up in the picture.

neuralengine

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2020
It looks as if someone put a piece of semi-transparent glass in front of the original image. All the colors of the left half become a mix of their original color and pink.

First time I aw it, I didn't do anything. Next time, I took a screen shot, and next time, I'll take a picture, but I'm 100% sure that it will show up in the picture.
That sounds like a hardware issue. Do you have AppleCare, can you take it into a repair place?

Olv

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2021
This is a Mac I haven't bought yet, but yes – it needs to be taken to a repair place. Problem is that I haven't installed much on it yet (trying it out), and I don't know how often this will happen – but most likely, repair places having tools to diagnose that Mac and see if something is wrong. It's one year and a month old, so having a repair place have a look at it doesn't cost anything.

Olv

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2021
But there are other issues with it as well, like some pages (in Safari) that looks fine in other browsers just showing white space, or the Favourites area in Safari not showing the main favorites, but only this:

Skjermbilde 2021-10-12 kl. 17.27.06.png

I've never had that on other Macs. The text in the upper right corner means 'Show less', but none of the main favorites are shown, instead the whole area has become semi-transparent and shows a foggy version of the window beneath this Safari window.

Last edited:

Olv

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2021
The window transparency is normal, and can be disabled in Accessibility settings.
I can't explain the other effects you are seeing.
Yes, I figured this our now (my good old 12-core Mac Pro doesn't have that, or I disabled at some point). But using Apples own browser on a 3.8 Ghz Mac with an 8 gb video card should be able to display basic stuff, of course. My 2010 Mac with a 1gb video card does that better.

I don't need that transparency, and just like the pink screen discussed in that other thread, I can live without True Tone as well, if that's what's causing the problem, but the various issues I've had this Mac (Geekbench crashing constantly, the Mac shutting itself of when trying to reinstall the OS with Command R, pages not opening in Safari etc) means that it needs to be fixed. My guess is that the production date (two months before the release) is part of the problem.
Thanks for all the help.

Reactions: wilberforce

JamesTheMac

Cancelled
Mar 10, 2019
Recently bought an iMac 27” 2020 i7 with the 5700XT, running Big Sur 11.6, and every time I shut down I get left side of the screen going darker.

Had it for nearly 3 weeks now, and after finding my way to this thread by trying to find out if the screen problem is a hardware issue that is going to cost me money further down the line, or is just a software glitch.

I bought the 27 iMac because I wanted a reliable way of having a 5k screen running macOS, and avoid all the heat/running fans/glitches running a external monitor from a MacBook Pro. But judging by the 80 pages of issues with the solution I’ve opted for isn’t much better. Who would have thought it could be so difficult.

it sounds like I picked the most bug ridden graphics adapter. With apple silicon he new priority, I doubt it will get fixed.

i think on after the weekend I’ll have to argue with Apple to request a return and refund, which is a shame.

costica1234

macrumors regular
May 21, 2013
Recently bought an iMac 27” 2020 i7 with the 5700XT, running Big Sur 11.6, and every time I shut down I get left side of the screen going darker.

Had it for nearly 3 weeks now, and after finding my way to this thread by trying to find out if the screen problem is a hardware issue that is going to cost me money further down the line, or is just a software glitch.

I bought the 27 iMac because I wanted a reliable way of having a 5k screen running macOS, and avoid all the heat/running fans/glitches running a external monitor from a MacBook Pro. But judging by the 80 pages of issues with the solution I’ve opted for isn’t much better. Who would have thought it could be so difficult.

it sounds like I picked the most bug ridden graphics adapter. With apple silicon he new priority, I doubt it will get fixed.

i think on after the weekend I’ll have to argue with Apple to request a return and refund, which is a shame.
It looks like you are a bit new to these forums, so let me clarify something right from the start.

This thread was originally created because the 2020 iMacs with the 5700XT GPU had a weird flickering issue where a white horizontal line would randomly appear on one half of the screen. This turned out to be just a software glitch that Apple addressed almost one year ago!

The shutdown issue (which I also experience on my non-XT 5700) is something that has also been reported across all GPUs for the 2020 iMac. But people have been using this thread to start a conversation about that separate issue as well, which is quite unfortunate. The 80 pages that you see are mostly about the horizontal line issue, which has been fixed a long time ago as I previously said.

Personally, I find the shutdown issue to be a non-issue. Yes, it is slightly annoying given the cost of this machine, but the bottom line is that my iMac performs without any other glitches during normal use, which is what I care about. I wouldn't return the computer unless there are some glaring GPU issues that affect your apps and/or workflow.

The 2020 iMac is without a doubt an incredible machine and surely the last old-school Mac that one can buy right now. I'm sure it will serve me well for many years to come!

Reactions: Olv

haddy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2012
NZ
The 2020 iMac is without a doubt an incredible machine and surely the last old-school Mac that one can buy right now. I'm sure it will serve me well for many years to come!
Yes it is; and it is by far the best Mac/iMac whatever I have every owned. I have the maxed out one with the Nano screen etc. And I bought my first Mac in 1987!!

• Love
Reactions: costica1234
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.