Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Please select GPU type and if you see the flickering glitch on the display:

• Total voters

synicalx1

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2020
I’ve read a bit of this……and am about to order a new iMac since I need both Mac OS and Windows…. Seems the 5700xt streaking issue was fixed? Heat? Gremlins? Only thing I really need a graphics card for is to potentially run Revit on the windows side…. Any of the cards should do the job but I like to future proof as much as possible, however I’m honestly not certain if the 5700 or 5700xt are safe bets.
From what I can gather, it's software or driver issue that may or may not have been patched. Or at least the main streaking issue was but now there are other issues like graphical glitches during shutdown etc.

I did a fair bit of digging around to work out the performance difference between iMacs with a 5700 vs the 5700XT and my best estimate is the 5700XT is somewhere between 8-15% faster for general 3D stuff (ie gaming) but seems to be a fair bit faster than that with anything that can properly take advantage of it's extra compute units. Not sure if Revit falls into that category or not but if it does then the XT might be a smart upgrade. Alternatively you could go a normal 5700 and use the cost difference to soup up something else like getting a bigger SSD.

synicalx1

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2020
So my iMac arrived yesterday with it's 5700XT and I've had the chance to put it through it's paces overnight;

- No graphical issues whatsoever (so far)
- Performance is top notch and way quieter than I expected

Despite being a little spooked by this thread I think the 5700XT was well worth the upgrade price. Assuming that the graphical issues don't occur for me I suspect this issue might be a combination of hardware revisions + driver issues. My manufacture date is showing as July 26th so I'd be curious to see how this compare to people who are experiencing these issues.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
So my iMac arrived yesterday with it's 5700XT and I've had the chance to put it through it's paces overnight;

- No graphical issues whatsoever (so far)
- Performance is top notch and way quieter than I expected

Despite being a little spooked by this thread I think the 5700XT was well worth the upgrade price. Assuming that the graphical issues don't occur for me I suspect this issue might be a combination of hardware revisions + driver issues. My manufacture date is showing as July 26th so I'd be curious to see how this compare to people who are experiencing these issues.
If you have True Tone turned on, keep an on on your screen when you shut your computer down or restart it. You should see the screen divided right down the center, half True Tone, half no True Tone. Also, watch the dock hang.

synicalx1

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2020
If you have True Tone turned on, keep an on on your screen when you shut your computer down or restart it. You should see the screen divided right down the center, half True Tone, half no True Tone. Also, watch the dock hang.
I have True Tone on, and so far haven't seen any 50/50 issues like that occurring even after a few reboots/shutdowns. I have had to Dock die on me once or twice immediately after an update but that wasn't during shutdown, and killing the process fixed that.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
I have True Tone on, and so far haven't seen any 50/50 issues like that occurring even after a few reboots/shutdowns. I have had to Dock die on me once or twice immediately after an update but that wasn't during shutdown, and killing the process fixed that.
If you haven’t seen the True Tone issue you need to go buy a lottery ticket. It literally happens without fail at every reboot or shutdown. This is on a brand new clean install of 11.4 btw. You won’t notice it though if you have your desktop background set to a real dark color or image.

Reactions: synicalx1

synicalx1

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2020
If you haven’t seen the True Tone issue you need to go buy a lottery ticket. It literally happens without fail at every reboot or shutdown. This is on a brand new clean install of 11.4 btw. You won’t notice it though if you have your desktop background set to a real dark color or image.
Ah that could be it - I have a fairly dark wallpaper. When I get home I'll change it to something bright and test again.

EDIT: I must be lucky, or going crazy but I cannot replicate this issue at all. I even tried setting my wallpaper to just plain white and tried every combination of shutting down/restarting/sleep/lock etc that I could think of.

Last edited:

anthony13

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2012
But like, what’s the big deal? I’m sure I’m about to get super flamed for asking that but I’m honestly asking? I have a 5700xt. I was concerned with the white line glitch last fall but they corrected that. True Tone turning off on half the screen at shutdown? Why should I care?

synicalx1

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2020
But like, what’s the big deal? I’m sure I’m about to get super flamed for asking that but I’m honestly asking? I have a 5700xt. I was concerned with the white line glitch last fall but they corrected that. True Tone turning off on half the screen at shutdown? Why should I care?
It really isn't a big issue TBH, but I can understand why people might be a little annoyed that their $3-5k Mac has a cosmetic bug like this that's been around for a while. It's like getting a burger from McDonalds thats been put together wrong and half the burger patty is dangling out the side - sure it's not a big deal and but its annoying that its happened in the first place with something you've paid for.

The original issue this thread was about was a more serious one that was visible during normal use and could be quite distracting, so that's definitely worth complaining about IMO.

Reactions: dspdoc

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
It really isn't a big issue TBH, but I can understand why people might be a little annoyed that their $3-5k Mac has a cosmetic bug like this that's been around for a while. It's like getting a burger from McDonalds thats been put together wrong and half the burger patty is dangling out the side - sure it's not a big deal and but its annoying that its happened in the first place with something you've paid for.

The original issue this thread was about was a more serious one that was visible during normal use and could be quite distracting, so that's definitely worth complaining about IMO.
What’s frustrating is the two-tone true-tone on shutdown issue is gone from Monterey beta 1 & 2. Why can’t the solution get back ported to Big Usr?

synicalx1

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2020
What’s frustrating is the two-tone true-tone on shutdown issue is gone from Monterey beta 1 & 2. Why can’t the solution get back ported to Big Usr?
At the end of the day it's a minor cosmetic issue that is probably only noticed by a small percentage of users, and that only really bothers an even smaller percentage and would have been reported by an even smaller percentage of users. It wouldn't be worth the dev time to backport anything from a rapidly changing beta to an OS version that's being superseded in the next couple of months.

Reactions: costica1234

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
At the end of the day it's a minor cosmetic issue that is probably only noticed by a small percentage of users, and that only really bothers an even smaller percentage and would have been reported by an even smaller percentage of users. It wouldn't be worth the dev time to backport anything from a rapidly changing beta to an OS version that's being superseded in the next couple of months.
Disagree on many levels. They should ABSOLUTELY backwards patch bugs. They tend to do so for quite awhile because I'm certain they realize that not everyone can always be on the bleeding edge of technology. For music producers like myself, every new macOS tends to kill numerous 3rd party plug-ins that we rely on running in our DAWs to get work done. We aren't Apple fanboys using nothing but Safari, sitting by waiting to gush over the plethora of new features each new OS brings that no one asked for only to find out it has brought new bugs. I would be thrilled if Apple went to a 3 year OS cycle! I feel sorry for these 3rd party devs who are always trying to play catchup because of Apple's continuous movement to make the Mac more like an iPhone. Many have fallen by the wayside and simply give up.

Last edited:

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Let us know when you try the newest 11.5 Big Sur beta. ;)

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
It should be installed now but I’ll know for sure once I get home.

Edit: Still no joy.
Bummer. It's seeming like Apple is going to operate in their typical fashion of forcing those of us who want certain bugs fixed to install their latest OS immediately upon release, only to introduce who knows how many other new bugs. The cycle never ends. I miss the 10.6.8 and 10.8.6 days.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
I am jumping ship on this whole 5700 XT iMac thing. I smell a rat and I don't like it. IMHO I don't think they are ever going to get the GPU stuff totally sorted out on this. I am moving to a '19 MP with the tried and tested Vega. Godspeed friends!

Reactions: neuralengine

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
The latest Big Sur beta seems to resolve the two-tone true tone on shutdown. Just in case anyone was still interested.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
OK this is what I see:
6897E478-EAA8-44F0-9A2E-46D686C8285A.jpeg

costica1234

macrumors regular
May 21, 2013
Yep, the true tone bug is still there before shutdown on 11.5 (I have the non-XT 5700). I don’t find it to be much of an issue, though.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Yep, the true tone bug is still there before shutdown on 11.5 (I have the non-XT 5700). I don’t find it to be much of an issue, though.
It doesn’t affect my usage either, but it is annoying to watch my $3,200 computer sperg out every time I power off.

neuralengine

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2020
Any of you have the True Tone bug where it will snap to a much warmer color temperature suddenly? Happens here every few days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.