Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Please select GPU type and if you see the flickering glitch on the display:

• Total voters

JamesTheMac

Cancelled
Mar 10, 2019
Thanks for the replies and reassurance about this iMac & graphics adapter.

I've been using Macs for just over 15 years, and hove owned several different types over that time. Over that time I've noticed the standard of what is released get worse. I'm still quite wary over the butterfly keyboard that is now causing me to have to get my 3rd keyboard replacement on my 2018 maxed out MBP. I keep the keyboard spotlessly clean, but still it seems to develop a fault after around a year of use. The next time it fails after this one, it's going to cost me, if I want to continue using that machine.

So when buying a well spec'ed ~ $4000 iMac, that I hope is going to keep me going for the next 3-5 years, it was disappointing to see this machine looks too like it has a design flaw that's going to haunt me during ownership. If it's just a software glitch as the machine powers down, fine. It's irritating, but doesn't stop work. What worries me is that there is an inherent problem with the 5x00 graphics adapter iMac implementation. On the Apple forums where this problem is also described, the only people that have said the problem is cured, are those that have had a new logic board replacement. - Now that is my real worry. The shut down issue is irritating, but if that's a sign that there is a hardware fault storing itself up for the future, and will transgress into affecting actual operation, I won't be happy.

Skimming over the thread, it sounds like, yes, it was a more serious graphics adapter / software glitch, that has now been largely ironed out with updates. But there is still the shut down glitch remaining. So they are probably all related to the same underlying issue.

I want to like this machine, and for the next few years need to have an intel based Mac for some the i86 work I do. I hope that as Apple moves the whole iMac range over to AS, the maturity of the older iMac range still holds out through the next few OS versions and updates.

In the mean time I will probably log the issue with Apple so that they can see I was having problems from the outset, so that if anything more serious develops relating to graphics/display issues I can refer them back to my initial problem. At least here in the UK we have strong consumer protection laws that state a a product must perform as advertised for a reasonable amount of time, and must not have any inherent faults.

Hopefully I won't have to use that, and can just get on with using the Mac as intended. Other than the glitch it is a nice machine, and munches through my Xcode work quite nicely.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Thanks for the replies and reassurance about this iMac & graphics adapter.

I've been using Macs for just over 15 years, and hove owned several different types over that time. Over that time I've noticed the standard of what is released get worse. I'm still quite wary over the butterfly keyboard that is now causing me to have to get my 3rd keyboard replacement on my 2018 maxed out MBP. I keep the keyboard spotlessly clean, but still it seems to develop a fault after around a year of use. The next time it fails after this one, it's going to cost me, if I want to continue using that machine.

So when buying a well spec'ed ~ $4000 iMac, that I hope is going to keep me going for the next 3-5 years, it was disappointing to see this machine looks too like it has a design flaw that's going to haunt me during ownership. If it's just a software glitch as the machine powers down, fine. It's irritating, but doesn't stop work. What worries me is that there is an inherent problem with the 5x00 graphics adapter iMac implementation. On the Apple forums where this problem is also described, the only people that have said the problem is cured, are those that have had a new logic board replacement. - Now that is my real worry. The shut down issue is irritating, but if that's a sign that there is a hardware fault storing itself up for the future, and will transgress into affecting actual operation, I won't be happy.

Skimming over the thread, it sounds like, yes, it was a more serious graphics adapter / software glitch, that has now been largely ironed out with updates. But there is still the shut down glitch remaining. So they are probably all related to the same underlying issue.

I want to like this machine, and for the next few years need to have an intel based Mac for some the i86 work I do. I hope that as Apple moves the whole iMac range over to AS, the maturity of the older iMac range still holds out through the next few OS versions and updates.

In the mean time I will probably log the issue with Apple so that they can see I was having problems from the outset, so that if anything more serious develops relating to graphics/display issues I can refer them back to my initial problem. At least here in the UK we have strong consumer protection laws that state a a product must perform as advertised for a reasonable amount of time, and must not have any inherent faults.

Hopefully I won't have to use that, and can just get on with using the Mac as intended. Other than the glitch it is a nice machine, and munches through my Xcode work quite nicely.
Sadly, Apple has made their stance clear on the issues with the GPU's in these iMac's. They simply don't care. In typical Apple fashion, they move forward and leave the broken, broken. Soon the entire lineup will be Apple Silicon and that will just solidify the abandonment of the Intel iMac lineup.

Last edited:

Olv

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2021
Have any of you with graphical issues on these iMacs checked the production date/week of your computer? It's possible to check production week eg. here: https://appleserialnumberinfo.com/Desktop/index.php
One reason I ask is that I found that the Mac I'm having trouble with was produced a month or two before the release date, so it's a very early model. Since some has had success with having these problem fixed by changing the logic board, I assume 2020 iMacs with later production dates maybe have logic boards without these problems.

The local reseller company claims that if associated service company can't find any errors with this, there are no errors. The same company and also claims that they can keep saying that, even if I come back with it once a month, with video documentation of the left half of the screen having another colour than the right half. This is probably an irregular bug – I only tried it for a few days before I delivered it to service, and still haven't got it back. Apparently they trust their own diagnosis solutions more than their customers, even with these Macs which are known for having graphical glitches. (This is the Scandinavian company Elkjøp/Elgiganten/Gigantti/Elko – they're ever represented on Greenland under the name Pissifik (!).)

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Have any of you with graphical issues on these iMacs checked the production date/week of your computer? It's possible to check production week eg. here: https://appleserialnumberinfo.com/Desktop/index.php
One reason I ask is that I found that the Mac I'm having trouble with was produced a month or two before the release date, so it's a very early model. Since some has had success with having these problem fixed by changing the logic board, I assume 2020 iMacs with later production dates maybe have logic boards without these problems.

The local reseller company claims that if associated service company can't find any errors with this, there are no errors. The same company and also claims that they can keep saying that, even if I come back with it once a month, with video documentation of the left half of the screen having another colour than the right half. This is probably an irregular bug – I only tried it for a few days before I delivered it to service, and still haven't got it back. Apparently they trust their own diagnosis solutions more than their customers, even with these Macs which are known for having graphical glitches. (This is the Scandinavian company Elkjøp/Elgiganten/Gigantti/Elko – they're ever represented on Greenland under the name Pissifik (!).)
Production year : 2021
Production week : 24 (June) ..... Still have the issues.

Who's ever said they have had a logic board replaced for this?! Sorry, never heard of that. Not buying it.

Olv

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2021
June 2021, that's a year later than the Mac I'm talking about.

From the first post on this page: "So when buying a well spec'ed ~ $4000 iMac, that I hope is going to keep me going for the next 3-5 years, it was disappointing to see this machine looks too like it has a design flaw that's going to haunt me during ownership. If it's just a software glitch as the machine powers down, fine. It's irritating, but doesn't stop work. What worries me is that there is an inherent problem with the 5x00 graphics adapter iMac implementation. On the Apple forums where this problem is also described, the only people that have said the problem is cured, are those that have had a new logic board replacement."

That may be about different issues than I have, but maybe they are related. The Mac I'm talking about also has the 5500 card, not the 5700 card – but there are several users with 5500 cards that have issues as well. THe issues I have aren't related to shutdown/restart/startup.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
June 2021, that's a year later than the Mac I'm talking about.

From the first post on this page: "So when buying a well spec'ed ~ $4000 iMac, that I hope is going to keep me going for the next 3-5 years, it was disappointing to see this machine looks too like it has a design flaw that's going to haunt me during ownership. If it's just a software glitch as the machine powers down, fine. It's irritating, but doesn't stop work. What worries me is that there is an inherent problem with the 5x00 graphics adapter iMac implementation. On the Apple forums where this problem is also described, the only people that have said the problem is cured, are those that have had a new logic board replacement."

That may be about different issues than I have, but maybe they are related. The Mac I'm talking about also has the 5500 card, not the 5700 card – but there are several users with 5500 cards that have issues as well. THe issues I have aren't related to shutdown/restart/startup.
Maybe you misunderstood my post. I also have the 5500. I also have the issue. My machine was made in June of 2021, so manufacture date has nothing to do with it. If it were a logic board issue as you indicate, my machine would have the "said" (new) logic board. Therefore it is not a logic board issue. It can't be. That would of ended up being either a massive recall or a class action lawsuit, or both. I believe it is simple laziness on the part of Apple and AMD to not work out all the bugs with these GPU's.

Olv

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2021
"my machine would have said (new) logic board"
Please elaborate? The Mac I talk about has graphical issues, but the service center's diagnosis system says that it's fine.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
"my machine would have said (new) logic board"
Please elaborate? The Mac I talk about has graphical issues, but the service center's diagnosis system says that it's fine.
You made it sound like a logic board replacement is fixing these issues. It is not. Because if it was, I wouldn't have the issues, seeing as I already have the latest revision of the logic board.

JamesTheMac

Cancelled
Mar 10, 2019
You made it sound like a logic board replacement is fixing these issues. It is not. Because if it was, I wouldn't have the issues, seeing as I already have the latest revision of the logic board.
Not necessarily. It could still be a logic board issue in the case of the poster. Unlikely to be a design or wide scale manufacturing fault, of course. But still entirely possible to have an isolated logic board fault. Who knows it could be something as subtle as the binned components that create an edge case on some boards. Anyway. It's still a possibility.

As for the person that said a logic board replacement solved their issue. It was over on the Apple forum.

neuralengine

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2020
Things were feeling pretty good towards the end of Big Sur but with Monterey 12.0.1 the random stuttering and choppiness (kind of like dropped frames) when scrolling in Safari and other system apps and moving windows is back. Ugh!

They did fix the split screen thing on shutdown though but at this point it’s just… come on. These AMD cards are garbage.

I’m waiting for either the Apple Silicon version of this size or a stand-alone display that’s equivalent and this thing is going on eBay! I honestly can’t wait to get rid of it.

Spinnetti

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2005
Kentucky
Recently bought an iMac 27” 2020 i7 with the 5700XT, running Big Sur 11.6, and every time I shut down I get left side of the screen going darker.

Had it for nearly 3 weeks now, and after finding my way to this thread by trying to find out if the screen problem is a hardware issue that is going to cost me money further down the line, or is just a software glitch.

I bought the 27 iMac because I wanted a reliable way of having a 5k screen running macOS, and avoid all the heat/running fans/glitches running a external monitor from a MacBook Pro. But judging by the 80 pages of issues with the solution I’ve opted for isn’t much better. Who would have thought it could be so difficult.

it sounds like I picked the most bug ridden graphics adapter. With apple silicon he new priority, I doubt it will get fixed.

i think on after the weekend I’ll have to argue with Apple to request a return and refund, which is a shame.
Was exactly the same for me (I bought the second it came out.) and had the same concerns.. Mine doesn't do it anymore though. Not sure if they fixed something or not but suspect it was a firmware thing. Make sure everything is updated and clear PRAM if applicable and see what happens.. Because I need to run windows for a couple key apps, this will probably be my last Mac, so I hope it lasts a long time!

JamesTheMac

Cancelled
Mar 10, 2019
Updated to Big Sur 11.6.3 yesterday from 11.6.2, and so far, I've not seen the half screen glitch on shut down. Fingers crossed it's been sorted! But at least the web browser security issue should have been plugged.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Updated to Big Sur 11.6.3 yesterday from 11.6.2, and so far, I've not seen the half screen glitch on shut down. Fingers crossed it's been sorted! But at least the web browser security issue should have been plugged.
I’m the exact opposite. First shutdown in 11.6.3 had the dual tone glitch.

JamesTheMac

Cancelled
Mar 10, 2019
I’m the exact opposite. First shutdown in 11.6.3 had the dual tone glitch.
That's irritating to hear, and makes me think the problem hasn't really gone away.

On my machine it seems like the issue may just being masked. I'm sure previously the shutdown process took longer with the screen changing to the dual tones about halfway through the process. But now when I shut down, at the point where I'd normally expect the two screens to become evident for the remainder of the shutdown, the screen just goes blank instead.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
That's irritating to hear, and makes me think the problem hasn't really gone away.

On my machine it seems like the issue may just being masked. I'm sure previously the shutdown process took longer with the screen changing to the dual tones about halfway through the process. But now when I shut down, at the point where I'd normally expect the two screens to become evident for the remainder of the shutdown, the screen just goes blank instead.
I agree, it seems like Apple is trying to mask the issue by freezing the screen before the dual tone issue appears. Sometimes it works, and other times it doesn’t.

ninecows

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2012
I agree, it seems like Apple is trying to mask the issue by freezing the screen before the dual tone issue appears. Sometimes it works, and other times it doesn’t.
So I also have glitches both at log-in and during shut-down. Here the dock will partly slide down and then freeze with the icons halfway gone.

But on the other hand: This is really minor. I mean - if this was any windows box glitches like that would be normal.

My only concern is that it’s something physically wrong with the GPU and at some point the it will die.

ninecows

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2012
The other part about a vertical split on the screen in two different tones I have not observed.

But it does take a few seconds after boot/log in for it to find the right tone. Will go from bright blue to night-shift brownish

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
So I also have glitches both at log-in and during shut-down. Here the dock will partly slide down and then freeze with the icons halfway gone.

But on the other hand: This is really minor. I mean - if this was any windows box glitches like that would be normal.

My only concern is that it’s something physically wrong with the GPU and at some point the it will die.
I don’t have any graphical glitches in Windows 10; which is where my GPU gets the most use. I personally do not believe it is a hardware issue.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
The other part about a vertical split on the screen in two different tones I have not observed.

But it does take a few seconds after boot/log in for it to find the right tone. Will go from bright blue to night-shift brownish
I get this too. It’s as if True Tone doesn’t activate until near the end of the login process. This also does not occur in Windows, but I’m almost positive True Tone is not active in Windows.

ondert

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2017
Canada
How is the issue going now guys? I was planning to buy an iMac after WWDC (i thought there would be a new 27” imac or maybe 30-32”) however after the new Studio setup was announced I started looking good at old Intel iMacs because I didn’t like the idea of paying the almost same screen 1600-1700$ + 2500$ at least for the studio while I can still get a 2020 iMac 5k with 5700xt. I also still use Windows sometimes too. The other option might be buying a used iMac Pro around the same price which I found it more useful with better cooling.

Last edited:

JamesTheMac

Cancelled
Mar 10, 2019
I still get the occasional vertical split on shutdown, even with the latest update of Big Sur. I did think it had been resolved as it disappeared for a while after applying the latest patch, but it is still apparent occasionally. Other than that my machine runs absolutely fine.

I suppose it depends what you will use the machine for. There is no doubting that the Intel machines are yesterday's tech now, and I expect performance support to tail off quite rapidly over the next two years. Newer versions of the OS are just going to keep stretching the processor more and more for everyday tasks, and I suspect Apple won't put much effort into optimising behaviour on the Intel machines. I have a maxed out MBP 16" of the last Intel model. A brilliant machine, but it already suffers from keyboard typing lag. I expect that and other things to get progressively worse with future updates. And of course, less features being available for the Intel versions of the OS. If you are an Xcode user, I wouldn't mind betting that at some point in the not too distant future the latest version of it will only work on AS Macs. They are always doing it with making it run only on the latest versions of MacOS. Case in point being the next release that will only work on Monterey.

If it's a work machine, and you can pick up a decent refurb, it's probably not too much of an issue to write the machine down after a couple of years, and take the plunge for a Studio setup in 2023/2024. And benefit from the bugs being ironed out and things being more refined when you do switch.

It's really down to what you want the machine for, and accepting it will be a machine with a more limited lifetime than one of the newer machines. For me I still need to develop for Intel devices, and use Windows occasionally, so I'm fine with using the older tech for a couple more years. I have an M1 MBP for any AS exclusive I stuff might have to do, so will make the transition gradually.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
I get the two-tone True Tone on shutdown, but it happens much less frequently now. Hasn't affected anything beyond the screen changing during the shutdown process so I’ve stopped worrying about it. Doesn’t happen in windows at all, which ironically is where I’ve been spending more of my time when using my iMac. The 5700XT is awesome for the things I need, but it seems to be better utilized under Windows 10, even if the latest bootcamp AMD driver is from 06/30/2021.

neuralengine

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2020
How is the issue going now guys? I was planning to buy an iMac after WWDC (i thought there would be a new 27” imac or maybe 30-32”) however after the new Studio setup was announced I started looking good at old Intel iMacs because I didn’t like the idea of paying the almost same screen 1600-1700$ + 2500$ at least for the studio while I can still get a 2020 iMac 5k with 5700xt. I also still use Windows sometimes too. The other option might be buying a used iMac Pro around the same price which I found it more useful with better cooling.
I think it depends on what you would use it for. The 27" Studio Display opens up more possibilities, you don’t have to get the Mac Studio to pair with it. It effectively enables any Mac to have an iMac-like screen. You could pair it with a mini or an Air for much less and, depending on your uses, have similar or better performance than an Intel iMac.

As for the comment above that things will get progressively worse with software updates. I think it depends. A lot of things for me improved drastically on Monterey compared to Big Sur, especially in the graphics department, and I expect there to be further improvements. In fact the iMac runs better now than it ever has. I was tempted to trade it in for the Studio but its main use now is audio, and third-party compatibility with Apple silicon is not there yet. So I expect to hang on to the iMac for a while still.

But, if your workflow is well supported on Apple Silicon, I would not go back to Intel at this point. And if you do go Intel, and are sensitive to fan noise, definitely go for the iMac Pro. The 2020 iMac’s fans are not quiet.

hoodafoo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2020
Lso Angeles
I have zero issues with 5700XT. Are your firmwares up to date?

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 16 GB
Vendor: AMD (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x7319
Revision ID: 0x0040
ROM Revision: 113-D1820Q-231
VBIOS Version: 113-D182A2XT-012
Option ROM Version: 113-D182A2XT-012
EFI Driver Version: 01.01.231
Metal Family: Supported, Metal GPUFamily macOS 2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.