Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iNICK20

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2014
I dunno if this is the right thread, but wondering what model to go with? I had my refurbished 2019 model for 3 weeks, and Apple is allowing me to return it for the new one.
I had the i5 9th gen model, and wondering if the performance between the i5 and i7 is worth the increase in price?

iNICK20

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2014
I can pickup all the base models near me, but if I want the 10gig ethernet, I been wanting ha. Then its a 1-2 week shipping time.... I don't know what to do.

Andrea Pini

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2020
If you just will be using the 32, I assume it is a 16x2 kit. Swap the 2 fours that will be in the machine with the 2 sixteens in the same slots. If you’re so inclined, pop the 2 fours in the other two slots so you can have a total of 40.
Yes i'll use also the 8 Gb already installed.
But the question is: can I simply insert the new ones in the free slots or do I have to order them in a certain way?

rbfinch2

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2013
Great, could you do some CPU load testing to see how is the fan noise?
Running Cinebench with only 8gb the fans did come on but it seemed really quiet.
3.png

5.png

garethjs

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2008
Was going to go with the entry level 256gb SSD but it seems to run about half the speed as the 512GB. Guess I’ll have to fork out that bit more for the middle tier

chill991

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2020
Ordered a new 27" to replace my 2009 Mac Pro. Delivery estimate is 8/21-28

27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display​
With the following configuration:
Standard glass
3.6GHz 10-core 10th-generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost up to 5.0GHz
8GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory
Radeon Pro 5700 XT with 16GB of GDDR6 memory
4TB SSD storage
10 Gigabit Ethernet
Magic Mouse 2 + Magic Trackpad 2
Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad - US English
Accessory Kit​

JAYSON20

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2020
Anyone using the 2019 i9 iMac?
What about the fan noise during CPU load?
I am tempted to buy the 2020 10-core one but a little worried about the noise during audio production.

i'm in the same boat. I wanted the MBP 16" but i'm going to maybe get the iMac 10 core until a 10th Gen refresh/update (hopefully in the next few months) fixes the fan noise GPU issue in the 16" MBP.

If anyone who does music production/audio engineering has the new 2020 10 core iMac, please share your experience.

iNICK20

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2014
If you can survive without a machine for 2 weeks... be patient. Better than regretting not getting exactly what you wanted for a much longer time.
Oh, I'm definitely waiting. I just hate that I have too lmao! Probably going with the i7 base model with the 10gig ethernet.

garethjs

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2008
Mid-tier 27” with mouse delivers Tuesday 11th.

Swapped for trackpad, pushes it out to 18th

I’m in Melbourne Australia, and the stores here are all closed for 6 weeks so no chance of going in and swapping the mouse

painful having to wait another 7 days just for a trackpad

sco

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
You may find it arrives sooner ... people who had 18th as an arrival date are going prepare for shipment at the moment.

Best of luck with the lockdown.. hopefully something to keep you busy soon.

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
Anyone using the 2019 i9 iMac?
What about the fan noise during CPU load?
I am tempted to buy the 2020 10-core one but a little worried about the noise during audio production.

I have a 2019 i9/1tb ssd/v48 and it is a damn jet engine under load. Made all the more loud because there is only one fan and it exits right into the hard surface of the stand. Put it this way, I have an ASUS GRII with 1060GT in it that can exceed the iMac in noise but at least I can put that under the desk to muffle the sound.

I had to upgrade from my 2013 Nvidia graphics iMac and to be blunt, this i9 iMac is so disappointing because the fans spin up on the merest of CPU spikes and heaven help you if multiple cores light up at once. The processor is responsible for nearly all fan use as I have rarely had a spike of the GPU cause it before the processor started it all

Last edited:

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
I’d like to pick up a new Mac before the year end, but just trying to make sense of all of this.

So what happens to Intel based Macs for the foreseeable future? I’m thinking the next 3-6 years...after Apple has made the transition fully to it’s own silicon.

I tend to keep my Macs for 6-8 years before upgrading. I suspect Apple will support Intel Macs for a number of years but how will that work. Two separate OS upgrades? One for Intel, and one for AS?

Will developers like Adobe and Microsoft have multiple versions of their cloud software?

Reactions: kazmac

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
I can pickup all the base models near me, but if I want the 10gig ethernet, I been wanting ha. Then its a 1-2 week shipping time.... I don't know what to do.

As someone who buy one of the stock models .. I would just wait and get what you want. Already thinking of returning mine and ordering a different one.

PieTunes

Contributor
May 6, 2016
San Diego, CA
As someone who buy one of the stock models .. I would just wait and get what you want. Already thinking of returning mine and ordering a different one.
Out of curiosity, you've had the machine a short time, what different components would you be getting? Which stock system did you get initially?

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
Out of curiosity, you've had the machine a short time, what different components would you be getting? Which stock system did you get initially?

I bought this one for 2299

• 3.8GHz 8-core 10th-generation Intel Core i7 processor
  • Turbo Boost up to 5.0GHz
  • 8GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory, configurable up to 128GB
  • 512GB SSD storage¹
  • Radeon Pro 5500 XT with 8GB of GDDR6 memory
  • Two Thunderbolt 3 ports
  • Retina 5K 5120-by-2880 P3 display with True Tone (optional nano-texture glass available)

I originally wanted the 10 core / top gpu and 1-2tb ssd / 10 gb ethernet. I could probably keep what I have but just increase the ssd to 1tb. Even though right now I am only using 40gb. I do plan on switching to AS iMac whenever they release the 27-32".

It is a big upgrade from my 2011 iMac. The screen alone is a huge difference as well as the ssd.

Reactions: PieTunes

yellow_lupine

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2020

• 512GB SSD storage¹
  • Retina 5K 5120-by-2880 P3 display with True Tone (optional nano-texture glass available)

I originally wanted the 10 core / top gpu and 1-2tb ssd / 10 gb ethernet. I could probably keep what I have but just increase the ssd to 1tb. Even though right now I am only using 40gb. I do plan on switching to AS iMac whenever they release the 27-32".

It is a big upgrade from my 2011 iMac. The screen alone is a huge difference as well as the ssd.

Hi jetjaguar,
could you tell us how is the fan noise with CPU at max load?
I am very interested into that since I work with music

PieTunes

Contributor
May 6, 2016
San Diego, CA

• 512GB SSD storage¹

Nice. That's a huge upgrade for you, congratulations on your purchase! My 2017 iMac lasted me 3 years and I ordered a custom 2020 so I expect my next upgrade will be in another 3 years, and at that point the ARM transition should be complete or well enough along. It would give me a better idea of how things are in terms of hardware, software support, etc. Plus I'm curious to see the benchmarking and comparisons between this supposedly last Intel iMac and the ARM ones.

I'm a full proponent of buying what you feel will bring you joy, and to me Apple products definitely qualify. I use my iMac at least 6-8 hours a day every day so spending extra for some upgraded components is money well spent! I say bite the bullet and get your i9 and larger SSD and faster ethernet. :)

Reactions: jetjaguar

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
Hi jetjaguar,
could you tell us how is the fan noise with CPU at max load?
I am very interested into that since I work with music

I just ran cinebench r20 and towards the end of the first run the fans ramp up pretty loud. I ran it back to back 3 to 4 times and fans just stayed that loud. They don't sound like a jet engine but they are definitely very audible.

Reactions: yellow_lupine

elicash

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2006
I just ran cinebench r20 and towards the end of the first run the fans ramp up pretty loud. I ran it back to back 3 to 4 times and fans just stayed that loud. They don't sound like a jet engine but they are definitely very audible.

Have you added RAM to balance out the 2:1 GPU requirements?

I'm no tech wiz by any stretch, but you do need to double the RAM of your graphics card to take full advantage of the machine.

Be curious to know?

Also wondering what folks think of the nano texture display. I didn't order one, but have been tempted to cancel and re-order with that option. But all the reading I'm doing online is telling me durability might well be an issue. Would suck to only get 2 years out of a machine just because the display wore out from random contact or cleaning (I travel a lot, and move my workstation between locations).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.