Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mlsusa

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
I went with the base configuration of the top tier model, with the only upgrade for a 4TB SSD. I'm hoping the CPU and GPU it comes with will be good enough to last me 3-5 years. I'll do an after-market upgrade of the memory, likely 32GB or 64GB from OWC.

Upgrading the SSD bumped me from being able to get it now to having to wait until Aug 20-24. Hopefully it'll come sooner.
Interesting. My credit card just got charged but the order is still in the Processing stage. It's been a few years since I ordered a big ticket item from Apple. But I seem to remember they wouldn't charge me until after they've shipped the item. Hope that means this thing is shipping out in a day or two max.

Reactions: Kronen

ADGrant

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2018
I’m planning to keep mine for hopefully at least 7 years. We’ll see. The caveat to the GPU is you could always upgrade with an eGPU. I think ?

An eGPU is not going to work too well with the internal monitor. Having done some research (I was thinking about a Mac Mini 18 months ago), my view on eGPUs is that they are an expensive hassle I don't want to ever have to deal with.

PieTunes

Contributor
May 6, 2016
San Diego, CA
I just can't decide on the 512ssd or the 1tb with the 3.8ghz 8 core model.
Is it the price holding you back and you’re trying to justify if it’s worth it? How much space are you using now? Do you think your storage needs might increase over the length of time you would own and use the machine before you upgrade again?

tar-pony

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2010
Ordered a new 27" to replace my 2009 Mac Pro. Delivery estimate is 8/21-28

27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display​
With the following configuration:
Standard glass
3.6GHz 10-core 10th-generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost up to 5.0GHz
8GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory
Radeon Pro 5700 XT with 16GB of GDDR6 memory
4TB SSD storage
10 Gigabit Ethernet
Magic Mouse 2 + Magic Trackpad 2
Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad - US English
Accessory Kit​
Congrats on the new iMac! Same situation here; I also have a 2009 Mac Pro, which has worked well. Haven't ordered yet (not sure what config I actually need for some light-duty FCPX with 3D graphics), but I plan on using the Mac Pro as a file server (3.7 TB, only about half full, if that). The most SSD I can stomach is the 1TB, so I'm wondering how well the Mac Pro will work as a file server. 1TB SSD on the iMac will be more than enough for video production. Final video files can be stored on the Mac Pro after completion. I guess the big question is, how well will FCPX work on the iMac if the source video clips (during production) reside on the Mac Pro? Except for the SSD, I think I'm looking at about the same config that you bought.

NorCalZman

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2010
I don't want to chance a repair on my 2011 iMac in the next 12-24 months waiting for redesigned machines, and I really want the new features my 2011 lacks, so I pulled the plug and ordered a tier 3 model this morning. I will probably keep it a few years to see how the switch to apple silicon goes and then sell it just as AppleCare is set to expire.

blueglide

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2008
Virginia Beach
Is it the price holding you back and you’re trying to justify if it’s worth it? How much space are you using now? Do you think your storage needs might increase over the length of time you would own and use the machine before you upgrade again?
I'm justifying if it will be the worth and being cheap! I like having extra just in case. However, I do have external hard drives. I have a 2013 21.5 with a 1TB HDD and its never been close to full.

PieTunes

Contributor
May 6, 2016
San Diego, CA
I'm justifying if it will be the worth and being cheap! I like having extra just in case. However, I do have external hard drives. I have a 2013 21.5 with a 1TB HDD and its never been close to full.
I too like having the extra breathing room, for the ”what if” situations like wanting Boot Camp. I’ve been fine with the 512 on my 2017 iMac, on average I’ve only used under half of it, but over the years have slightly regretted not getting 1TB. This 2020 I ordered, dang straight I upgraded to 1TB haha. If anything it’ll quell those feelings whenever I look at About This Mac :D

blueglide

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2008
Virginia Beach
I too like having the extra breathing room, for the ”what if” situations like wanting Boot Camp. I’ve been fine with the 512 on my 2017 iMac, on average I’ve only used under half of it, but over the years have slightly regretted not getting 1TB. This 2020 I ordered, dang straight I upgraded to 1TB haha. If anything it’ll quell those feelings whenever I look at About This Mac :D
Ya, I use boot camp with Windows 10 on my 2013 iMac. I'll just get the 1TB. It's only $180. Not really all that much more! I think it will be a great upgrade from the old machine! Especially, since I am retiring from the Navy and have more time for getting into "fancier" video editing!

Reactions: PieTunes

elicash

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2006
My order is still processing like most folks, but thought this screen shot of an AI customer service experience was worth a run here.

I read the phrase 'Apple is a consumer hostile company' on the forum today, and honestly I find it hard to argue.

I was logged into my Apple account already when the conversation began.

For some reason I fully expected at least something I wrote back to trigger the appearance of a real human being, given I was enquiring to add to an expensive order that I'd already paid for. No idea why they'd think I was anywhere but in the USA.

Kind of funny, but also kind of not 😂 :(

Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 4.45.02 pm.png

Mr. Warbles

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2020
I cancelled my order with Apple for the 10 Core and switched to the 8 Core and bought through Expercom because of that sale they have going on. The difference was $3,200 after tax on the 10, with the sale and the CPU change I got the 8 core for $2,500 out the door...I feel better about it.

I suspect the 10 core with throttle and not be a huge improvement over the 8 core in the end. I work in Audio production and graphic design but my files aren't crazy huge and I work pretty clean. I'll have 72GB of RAM ready to drop in when it gets here.

meggie t

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2020
Just placed my order. I know I'll be happy with it, considering I am still using my mid-2010 iMac 21". Will pick up tomorrow!

mail
27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display​
Pickup Date: Tomorrow
Check-in Time: 3:30 p.m. - 3:45 p.m.​
With the following configuration:
Standard glass
3.3GHz 6-core 10th-generation Intel Core i5 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.8GHz
8GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory
Radeon Pro 5300 with 4GB of GDDR6 memory
512GB SSD storage
Gigabit Ethernet
Magic Mouse 2
Magic Keyboard - US English
Accessory Kit​

Reactions: PieTunes

CheesePuff

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Southwest Florida, USA
I cancelled my order with Apple for the 10 Core and switched to the 8 Core and bought through Expercom because of that sale they have going on. The difference was $3,200 after tax on the 10, with the sale and the CPU change I got the 8 core for $2,500 out the door...I feel better about it.

I suspect the 10 core with throttle and not be a huge improvement over the 8 core in the end. I work in Audio production and graphic design but my files aren't crazy huge and I work pretty clean. I'll have 72GB of RAM ready to drop in when it gets here.

Especially since this generation has Hyper Threading on all CPUs the differences will be much less.

Reactions: Mr. Warbles

Spk1

macrumors member
May 11, 2004
Winnipeg, Canada
I'm going to be ordering the top-tier model this weekend with Floridas tax free weekend for up to $1K items (which helps as I'm in the highest sales tax area of the state), but I can't decide between going with the stock 512 GB storage or 1 TB.. the biggest downside is having to wait another 1-2 weeks. My plan would be to run Windows 10 via Boot Camp for light gaming, but I could always install that on an external SSD I suppose (I have a 512 GB Samsung T5)..
I've been thinking about putting Windows on an external TB3 boot drive, using the OWC USB-C Drive Dock. Have you gone this route before (has anyone else?) and if so, how well did it fare?

sco

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
According to AMD.. yes.. but the iMac specs say:
Two 6016-by-3384 (6K) external displays at 60Hz with support for 1 billion colours (requires Radeon Pro 5700 or Radeon Pro 5700 XT)

So I'm reading that as needing a 5700 or 5700XT for DSC.

propower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
I ordered the Stock 3.8GHz i7 model - Huge upgrade from my 2017 non-HT iMac. I know 512 isn't enough SSD but I have a pair of 2TB External SSDs and just want this machine to go a couple of years till AS gets stable. I always went for 1/2 again the base price for upgrades but will try this out for a couple of weeks to see if it sticks... reasonably excited :)... Be here Wed...

Imaginethe

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2012
UK
I've been thinking about putting Windows on an external TB3 boot drive, using the OWC USB-C Drive Dock. Have you gone this route before (has anyone else?) and if so, how well did it fare?
I have windows on a Samsung r00gb external SSD on my 2012 iMac (it is usb-c, but my mac is not using that). And windows runs well, no lag for most things. However, I only use it for few things. When I get the new Mac I expect it to be even better taking advantage of usb-c.

Reactions: Spk1

CheesePuff

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Southwest Florida, USA

I've run Windows via VMWare Fusion off an external USB 3.1 SSD (Samsung T5), no complaints, but you do occasionally notice the slowdowns compared to it being on the builtin SSD.

Reactions: Spk1

CheesePuff

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Southwest Florida, USA
Just pulled the trigger on the top-tier model (3.8 GHz i7, 512 GB, 5500 XT) as I didn't want to have to wait 3 weeks to upgrade the storage.. worst case I'll get a Samsung T7 1 TB external if needed.

Reactions: minik

oneafour

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2017
los angeles
According to AMD.. yes.. but the iMac specs say:
Two 6016-by-3384 (6K) external displays at 60Hz with support for 1 billion colours (requires Radeon Pro 5700 or Radeon Pro 5700 XT)

So I'm reading that as needing a 5700 or 5700XT for DSC.
bummer I didn't even notice this difference, however, I can't see myself owning 2 Pro Display XDR's but I hope people test this feature.

Reactions: jacklivehere

zerozoneice

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2013
i still don't get ppl who order more RAM from Apple for hundreds & hundreds more than something even like OWC.
simply waste of money. Get the best possible GPU instead (will have also higher resale value) and if there's any money left, increase the built-in SSD size.

ADGrant

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2018
i still don't get ppl who order more RAM from Apple for hundreds & hundreds more than something even like OWC.
simply waste of money. Get the best possible GPU instead (will have also higher resale value) and if there's any money left, increase the built-in SSD size.

I agree with that. One of the main advantages of the 27" regular iMac is user upgradable RAM. If you are going to buy your RAM from Apple, you may as well buy the Pro and get the better cooling.

CheesePuff

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Southwest Florida, USA

Exactly, for my 2020 model I just ordered I spent $120 on Amazon (and got 5% cash back with their Prime credit card) for 32 GB, compared to Apple wanting $600!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.