Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yellow_lupine

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2020
I just ran cinebench r20 and towards the end of the first run the fans ramp up pretty loud. I ran it back to back 3 to 4 times and fans just stayed that loud. They don't sound like a jet engine but they are definitely very audible.

I fear the 10-core CPU will then be even louder :oops:

elicash

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2006

The amount of RAM in the machines being used might be affecting fan noise though? A lot of folks are ordering 8GB and running GPUs with the same amount of RAM.

Is it possible this would be contributing to fan noise (I have no clue, but for the GPU to run right the machine does need double its RAM).

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
Have you added RAM to balance out the 2:1 GPU requirements?

I'm no tech wiz by any stretch, but you do need to double the RAM of your graphics card to take full advantage of the machine.

Be curious to know?

Also wondering what folks think of the nano texture display. I didn't order one, but have been tempted to cancel and re-order with that option. But all the reading I'm doing online is telling me durability might well be an issue. Would suck to only get 2 years out of a machine just because the display wore out from random contact or cleaning (I travel a lot, and move my workstation between locations).

I will buy more ram I am just deciding first if I am keeping this machine.
[automerge]1596819994[/automerge]

I mean I think a lot of the tech you tubers have 10 cores. I would think their videos would mention the noise.

elicash

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2006
I will buy more ram I am just deciding first if I am keeping this machine.

Just to clarify, I'm thinking it's possible the fans and the low RAM are connected because it's not running the way it was intended. I don't know enough to say that, but I think it's worth checking out. The fan issue could well be related?

PieTunes

Contributor
May 6, 2016
San Diego, CA
Have you added RAM to balance out the 2:1 GPU requirements?

I'm no tech wiz by any stretch, but you do need to double the RAM of your graphics card to take full advantage of the machine.

Be curious to know?

Also wondering what folks think of the nano texture display. I didn't order one, but have been tempted to cancel and re-order with that option. But all the reading I'm doing online is telling me durability might well be an issue. Would suck to only get 2 years out of a machine just because the display wore out from random contact or cleaning (I travel a lot, and move my workstation between locations).
Regarding the nano texture display, I saw iJustine’s review and she raved about it. In a situation with a lot of bright lighting I can see it be worthwhile but the trade off would be the additional cost and attention to care needed. Apple sounds pretty stringent that the only material to ever come in contact with the screen be their specialty dry polishing cloth. If you pack up and move your iMac around I assume you use a cover and I doubt the inside of the cover which would touch the screen is made of the same material. The constant friction and movement would probably affect the durability of the screen over time.

Conversely if you instead travel/move the machine around without any screen covers, that brings up an entirely different set of risks.

Reactions: elicash

PieTunes

Contributor
May 6, 2016
San Diego, CA
The amount of RAM in the machines being used might be affecting fan noise though? A lot of folks are ordering 8GB and running GPUs with the same amount of RAM.

Is it possible this would be contributing to fan noise (I have no clue, but for the GPU to run right the machine does need double its RAM).
I’m genuinely curious, where are you hearing about RAM needing to be doubled relative to GPU VRAM in order to obtain optimal performance? I never heard of such a thing and would be interested in reading more about it.

elicash

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2006
I’m genuinely curious, where are you hearing about RAM needing to be doubled relative to GPU VRAM in order to obtain optimal performance? I never heard of such a thing and would be interested in reading more about it.

Just dug this up. I'd not heard it before, but I'm not a super tech savvy user and don't work in the field. Seems a question worth asking though given most buyers are buying the stock 8GB – could the fan issues be related to the system RAM shortfall? I have no clue as to the answer just to be clear.
Screen Shot 2020-08-07 at 1.36.45 pm.png

Last edited:

ADGrant

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2018
Just dug this up. I'd not heard it before, but I'm not a super tech savvy user and don't work in the field. Seems a question worth asking though given most buyers are buying the stock 8GB – could the fan issues be related to the system RAM shortfall? I have no clue as to the answer just to be clear. View attachment 941667

pldelisle can't even spell the word nonsense which is a shame because nonsense is what he wrote. I have never heard of such a requirement. My 2014 MacBook Pro 15" has 2GB of video ram and 16GB of RAM. It worked fine for the last 6 years.

Reactions: oneafour

elicash

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2006
pldelisle can't even spell the word nonsense which is a shame because nonsense is what he wrote. I have never heard of such a requirement. My 2014 MacBook Pro 15" has 2GB of video ram and 16GB of RAM. It worked fine for the last 6 years.

He's actually one of the most knowledgeable guys on the forum here. But ironic typo aside, I think you misunderstand what he wrote/have it backwards there - the system RAM only needs to be 4 GB if the VRAM is just 2GB.

ADGrant

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2018
He's actually one of the most knowledgeable guys on the forum here. But ironic typo aside, I think you misunderstand what he wrote/have it backwards there - the system RAM only needs to be 4 GB if the VRAM is just 2GB.

What he wrote was "System memory MUST be 2:1 ratio with GPU RAM". He didn't write that it must be "at least double". I may be misunderstanding what he meant but I am not misunderstanding what he wrote.

That said, I have never heard of this requirement and I am curious when this was ever an issue. I doubt there are many Macs or PCs with high end discrete GPUs that have only 8GB of RAM and I would expect anyone ordering their 2020 iMac with the 5700XT and 8GB of RAM to be upgrading the RAM themselves to something reasonable.

mlsusa

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
I went with the base configuration of the top tier model, with the only upgrade for a 4TB SSD. I'm hoping the CPU and GPU it comes with will be good enough to last me 3-5 years. I'll do an after-market upgrade of the memory, likely 32GB or 64GB from OWC.

Upgrading the SSD bumped me from being able to get it now to having to wait until Aug 20-24. Hopefully it'll come sooner.

This will replace my 2012 27" iMac. That one was the top-tier model at the time and I maxed out the CPU, GPU, and SSD (and it still cost less than what this new one costs -- though not adjusted for today US$ vs 2013 US$). It is still performing admirably and I was hoping to get another good year out of it. But then I made the mistake of upgrading to Catalina, which is a rant for another thread. So here I am anxiously waiting for my new toy. I mean, my critical work-from-home desktop computer.

Reactions: OddyOh

Patchwork

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2008
Near Preston, UK
That’s the first I’ve heard that you must have a 2:1 ratio. My understanding is that it is more a guide to having a balanced system e.g. no point paying for a 16GB graphics card if you only have 1GB of memory as the lack of memory would be a bottleneck. It also depends on what you are using your Mac for. I do quite a lot of virtual machine work, so have a lot of memory, and have been running my current iMac at a ratio of 8:1 and never noticed issues.

Spk1

macrumors member
May 11, 2004
Winnipeg, Canada
View attachment 941770

Yup probably the only person on earth who ordered an iMac with the 5700 Pro ? Don’t really need the extra VRam & I already am over budget after I throw 64gb of Ram in there. Should have it Aug 20 - 24th.

C’mon Apple let’s git r’ out the door!
Been going back and forth on the GPU as otherwise my configuration will be identical to yours (except for extended keyboard). I’m going to hold off on my order until I see more real world user info on the 5700 vs 5700XT.

Reactions: jonkemerer

ADGrant

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2018
Been going back and forth on the GPU as otherwise my configuration will be identical to yours (except for extended keyboard). I’m going to hold off on my order until I see more real world user info on the 5700 vs 5700XT.

I am planning to keep my iMac a while. Once the spinning rust drive has been eliminated, the component I have found that ages fastest on a computer these days is the GPU.

costica1234

macrumors regular
May 21, 2013
View attachment 941770

Yup probably the only person on earth who ordered an iMac with the 5700 Pro ? Don’t really need the extra VRam & I already am over budget after I throw 64gb of Ram in there. Should have it Aug 20 - 24th.

I will most likely join the 5700 club as well! :D Just waiting for a couple more reviews before pulling the trigger. Last few days I spent debating whether the nano texture is worth it and I think I finally decided I will go with the standard glass. Looks so nice that matte finish but who knows how it will fare in the long run.

Spk1

macrumors member
May 11, 2004
Winnipeg, Canada
I am planning to keep my iMac a while. Once the spinning rust drive has been eliminated, the component I have found that ages fastest on a computer these days is the GPU.
I’m planning to keep mine for hopefully at least 7 years. We’ll see. The caveat to the GPU is you could always upgrade with an eGPU. I think ?

tomwilson

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2012
I am having a hard time deciding on spec.. I want to tick all the boxes but with AS looming I feel like there is no way I'm going to keep it as long as my current 2014 27" iMac so that seems silly.

8 core with 5700 + 1TB seems to be the sane choice but might wait for more real reviews with different specifications.

Reactions: Spk1

16bitplus

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2018
Put my order in. Decided to stick with a similar config to my 16" MBP. Might end up selling that and sticking with this paired with my 12.9 iPad Pro 512GB. Mostly work daily work, podcast recording, video editing projects. Maybe some games in bootcamp if the drivers work well in Win10.

y0ZUo1N.png

Reactions: minik and Vinyldust

Vinyldust

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
View attachment 941770

I actually ordered this same identical setup! 5700 Is already going to be way stronger than my current 2gb card in 2013 iMac! Mine shipped this morning from Shanghai as well - Due to arrive on Friday the 14th!

Also ordered 64gb of ram from OWC to swap in when it arrives!

Reactions: jonkemerer

CheesePuff

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Southwest Florida, USA
I'm going to be ordering the top-tier model this weekend with Floridas tax free weekend for up to $1K items (which helps as I'm in the highest sales tax area of the state), but I can't decide between going with the stock 512 GB storage or 1 TB.. the biggest downside is having to wait another 1-2 weeks. My plan would be to run Windows 10 via Boot Camp for light gaming, but I could always install that on an external SSD I suppose (I have a 512 GB Samsung T5)..

NewUsername

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2019
This is my configuration:

3.3GHz 6-core 10th-generation Intel Core i5 processor
8GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory
1TB SSD storage
Radeon Pro 5300 with 4GB of GDDR6 memory
Retina 5K 5120-by-2880 P3 display with True Tone

In other words, the cheapest 27" with 1TB SSD.

Taking the top model would probably be a better deal, but I already think my iMac is overpriced enough and paying extra for longevity doesn’t make much sense to me, since its longevity won’t be great anyway. I’m not a power user though so I likely won’t notice much difference.

Given the ARM announcement I’m not very excited about my new computer, but I use dual boot a lot and I don’t want to buy two computers. So I hope it will last at least a few years. Perhaps I will keep using it just for Windows after I buy an ARM iMac in a couple of years.

I will get more RAM, but I didn’t decide which one to buy yet. I actually don’t really need more RAM urgently, but given how cheap RAM is (well, when you’re used to Apple prices like me), I will probably get 32GB anyway so I have 40GB in total.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.