Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Someone needs to cut their nails. :rolleyes:

That's you know it's a legit leak!

Green dot represents v2.0 of the adapter. Product looks exactly the same on the exterior so they needed a way to show it. Small enough to not be too eye-popping but different enough to notice it.

Can't recall what the issue was before.

The green dot signifies that your charger is the newer kind, which has redesigned plugs that won't break off in the plugin. There was a recall for something like that.

JonKean

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2009
that's probably a new 12 watt charger that will replace both the ipad and iphone charger. The larger wattage is because of the larger battery in the 5.5" iPhone 6

rmatthewware

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2009
that's probably a new 12 watt charger that will replace both the ipad and iphone charger. The larger wattage is because of the larger battery in the 5.5" iPhone 6

That's what I was thinking. It would be really nice to have a universal charger so I don't have to find the right plug when switching from iPhone to iPad.

allanfries

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2013
Canada
The smaller the better I say. Would be a nice feature for those who always carry chargers with them. An increase in wattage would be cool too. :)

Sethp

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2010
That's what I was thinking. It would be really nice to have a universal charger so I don't have to find the right plug when switching from iPhone to iPad.

I'm hopping this too. Only drawback if they make the old 12V adapter obsolete is that I like the fact that one can switch the duck head and use a longer cable.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Grips on Apple plugs?

Keep that trend going! Extend it to their slippery cable ends...

Moto G

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2014
US Bee? Brill:

43466_patriotic_uncle_sam_bee_waving_an_american_flag_on_independence_day.jpg

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
With the rumored ~1800mAh battery coming our way I guess they figure we need a neat power adapter.... since we'll be using them constantly. :rolleyes:

:apple:

QquegChristian

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
It fits with the concept of being just a millisecond easier to plug in, like the new USB cable. The square design requires you to look it over and orient which way is horizontal before plugging in. Not a big deal but it's another tiny usability improvement...one that I'm guessing would also benefit the blind.

kenroberts83

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012

I use the two interchangably. Haven't noticed any harmful effects. I guess the iPad would just charge slower on the iPhone plug.

----------

Two ports at ten watts each.

I doubt the engineering is all that simple. It is only a 1-inch sized device.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
I use the two interchangably. Haven't noticed any harmful effects. I guess the iPad would just charge slower on the iPhone plug.

----------

I doubt the engineering is all that simple. It is only a 1-inch sized device.

It isn't simple but these days you can find chips that will work right across the AC line to devlipers 5VDC. The question is the efficiency high enough to support two regulators at ten watts each. By the way I'd fully expect a larger physical case. The problem as many have already alluded to, is finding enough room for multiple charging point where your AC power is located. Sometimes you don't want to carry around multiple outlet strips or other solutions, for example when you are traveling.

In a nut shell I see it as a seriously good idea to provide multiple USB charging ports in one of these adapters. Even if Apple sold it as an auxiliary piece of equipment. Hell they could take the basic Mac Book charger housing and set it up with multiple charging point for 5VDC USB devices and I'd buy it. Such a housing could easily support 4 USB charging ports.

cicton

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2014
Canada
Damn. Apple is redesigning, well, making modifications to all the iPhone's hardware. Looking good so far! I wish they could include black or white headphones to match the choice of iPhone you get.

I've always liked that idea too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.